Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

fryup wrote: »
    no he didn't, the other fella did the deed

:confused:
    Gardai arrived, a stand-off ensued, and Mr Kehoe later turned the gun on himself.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-shot-dead-in-row-over-land-had-complained-about-his-killer-25964748.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jesus we have reached peak Chuckie with the faux indignation. The eviction was legitimate and lawful. The debtor's were told 2 days before it happened and they chose to stay and resist. The blowing this out of proportion by Sinn Fein and their useful idiots is painful to listen to. The economic illiteracy that is being displayed by Sinn Fein is worse than normal. All this ****e cause a few republican thugs had a hard on to bash some Jaffa's!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JCJCJC wrote: »
    That house seems to be built in a ring Fort!
    that apparently seems to be a site of the original manor house for the mount browns, so if it is ring fort it was disturbed long ago https://twitter.com/delexical/status/1075066446974210048

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Unless I've missed a previous post, that is not the story i was referring to. The original poster was referring to a story where a chap was warned against purchasing land, who then purchased the land and was the threat was carried out by killing him. The poster said that the chap that purchased the land effectively killed himself by purchasing the land.

If I've misunderstood, I'll gladly retract my comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

God the house looks dreadful why would you want to.hold onto a house like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm not casting any stones. Until today I never considered loyalist to be a term of abuse.
    I just wanted to ask you your opinion on what I would class as libelous comments being made by a person I was broadly agreeing with in the beginning when I quoted his post.

I think I've said three times now I don't believe you're a bigot or a racist. All I can do is speak for myself on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Wesser wrote: »
    God the house looks dreadful why would you want to.hold onto a house like that.
    for the farm... that's it attached to so his brother and sister live there, doubt Anthony McGann lives there I'd like to see what his house looks like

being a loyalist does not automatically equal being part of a paramilitary outfit.

Absolutely.

Would you also agree, in the interest of fairness, that being British does not automatically make someone Protestant or Loyalist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Unless I've missed a previous post, that is not the story i was referring to. The original poster was referring to a story where a chap was warned against purchasing land, who then purchased the land and was the threat was carried out by killing him. The poster said that the chap that purchased the land effectively killed himself by purchasing the land.

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. The man who bought the farm was murdered. The man who shot him then killed himself.

It's was an easy mistake to make given my sentence structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

markodaly wrote: »
    Only if you are a bigot and racist.

I guess that makes Rory Best, captain of the Ireland rugby team a 'Loyalist' too...

If he derescribes himself as British then he is a Loyalist, yes.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Would you also agree, in the interest of fairness, that being British does not automatically make someone Protestant or Loyalist?

Is the pope a catholic? Sammy Wilson knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I think I've said three times now I don't believe you're a bigot or a racist. All I can do is speak for myself on that.

I appreciate that. It's just not pleasant to have slurs made against you, particularly ones of that nature. I don't mean to involve you in this situation but you're being decent enough to reply and give a reasoned response, I essentially value your feedback and appreciate it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. The man who bought the farm was murdered. The man who shot him then killed himself.

Fair enough, I didn't understand you were referring to that story and that you literally meant that the guy that killed the purchaser then killed himself. My bad and I totally retract that comment.

That's simply a tragic story.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So, and apologies to reiterate the question, but it's it not disgraceful that a man was murdered for purchasing land legally?

Should such behaviour not be condemned?

A purely innocent man murdered for making a legal purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

noodler wrote: »
    So, and apologies to reiterate the question, but it's it not disgraceful that a man was murdered for purchasing land legally?

of course it should and quite rightly it was

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Fair play.

You quoted this in your post.
    I think it was a tragedy that he was subsequently murdered and the man who did it was in the wrong but as you can see from the case he killed himself.

The poster had already linked to the case just a few posts earlier...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108919200&postcount=2543

:rolleyes:

If he describes himself as British then he is a Loyalist, yes.

I'd disagree with that in principle. Anyone born in Northern Ireland is entitled to be British or Irish. By the rationale you're giving, they have to choose whether they're loyalists or republicans. That's pretty awful for someone who just wants to live a 9-5 and be a normal person.

I think my use of the word murdered puts the blame fairly and squarely on the correct shoulders.

Are you implying somehow that I condone this killing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Absolutely.

It certainly doesn't make them Protestant or Catholic, or Muslim or Jewish.

But I have never seen or heard of anyone from the North of Ireland who identifies as British ever calling themselves an Irish Nationalist or Irish Republican.

I think Gerry Fitt or someone like that said they had a Welsh granny but that's about as close as it gets.

• Advertisement

It certainly doesn't make them Protestant.

But I have never seen or heard of anyone from the North of Ireland who identifies as British ever calling themselves an Irish Nationalist or Irish Republican.

I never said that. What if they just don't give a rats about politics or religion but happen to be British. Same would go for someone who is Irish. Are they automatically Republicans? Can't they just be Irish or British?

I'd disagree with that in principle. Anyone born in Northern Ireland is entitled to be British or Irish. By the rationale you're giving, they have to choose whether they're loyalists or republicans. That's pretty awful for someone who just wants to live a 9-5 and be a normal person.

The guy was making a very strong point saying he was British in such circumstances, he went as far as to say that he was not Irish. He was giving the guy a message and it wasn't coded. It was direct and to the point. That message was received loud and clear. Anyone who does not understand that conversation has little insight in Irish history or politics.

We all know it, it's in our DNA.

we can presume by the topics under discussion the last forty pages that nobody any longer has any real dispute about the actual case here

right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about this guy ?

The guy was making a very strong point saying he was British in such circumstances

Hang on, I'm talking in general, just to cover a point. Forget the guy at the scene for a minute. If someone says they're British, does that automatically make them a loyalist. If so, does that make someone calling themselves Irish a republican?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it absolutely is, agreed. however that is one of many problems the british brought to that part of ireland when they decided to enforce partition of the island rather then letting it all go and it is their fault that such a choice has to exist.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I never said that. What if they just don't give a rats about politics or religion but happen to be British. Same would go for someone who is Irish. Are they automatically Republicans? Can't they just be Irish or British?

I would say most people who think of themselves as Irish are Republicans. those in the south anyway.
    It's a system of government and principles, its not a man with a gun.

I would say most people who think of themselves as Irish are Republicans.

See, I've no bother with that. Thanks.

See, I've no bother with that. Thanks.

So. is u British or Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So. is u British or Irish?

I'm err on oiday

Advertisement