Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭tigger123

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The family have reoccupied.

A demonstration of the immense power communities hold. When such a large number of people are moved to such action it speaks to how disgracefully last Tuesday was handled, with Gardai standing idly by. Our society functions because people consent to the laws and due process of the land. They will not stand for this kind of charade, and that is a good thing.

Apparently Gardai informed them that they are now illegally occupying and to consult legal advice. I'm sure further conversations will ensue in the new year, but the approach taken a second time will necessarily need to be different.

The lack of awareness in this post is quite startling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,243 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

tigger123 wrote: »
    The lack of awareness in this post is quite startling.

I'm not unaware of anything. They are in breach of the law after being in breach of their credit agreements. I get it. I understand. The 70 people who turned up there on Sunday morning understand that too.

This has everything to do with the manner in which the eviction was handled. Those who say there would have been resistance no matter who it was who carried out the eviction or how they handled themselves - maybe. Some. But the level of reaction on Sunday morning tells you all you need to know.

To ignore the significance of so many people willing to break the law in this instance is obtuse in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Family are in there. The security firm have gone home and

there are groups of people from different parts of the country around. A boon for the local economy.

Are they going to be there all year(2019) long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm not unaware of anything. They are in breach of the law after being in breach of their credit agreements. I get it. I understand. The 70 people who turned up there on Sunday morning understand that too.

This has everything to do with the manner in which the eviction was handled. Those who say there would have been resistance no matter who it was who carried out the eviction or how they handled themselves - maybe. Some. But the level of reaction on Sunday morning tells you all you need to know.

To ignore the significance of so many people willing to break the law in this instance is obtuse in the extreme.
    They weren't all locals there on Sunday morning Lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

klaaaz wrote: »
    Hopefully the old siblings won't be thrown into a ditch again.

They weren't thrown in a ditch the first time.

Do you realise people are not thick, do you not realise that anyone reading this thread is reading your posts and dismissing them because of all the lies and dramatics you are posting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

gctest50 wrote: »
    Are they going to be there all year(2019) long ?

Dont know😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They weren't all locals there on Sunday morning Lucky.

No. The security guards were from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Wasn't just the security guards that weren't locals.

Some people are very naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

markodaly wrote: »
    Aw cop on will ya.

Why are people such snowflakes today?
    Almost full employment, pubs and restaurants raking it in, very strong retail sales in the run up to Christmas, yet people are never happy.

The problems in the country stem from the fact there is a cohort of Irish people who are simply retarded, who moan and whinge when debt collectors come calling when money they borrowed goes up in smoke.

hWe have massive cultural issues in the country, that stops us solving those big issues you mention.

Housing for example. People moan about the terrible plight on young renters and homeless, but they won't be too far long objecting to every bit of development that goes over 3 stories because that is 'high rise'

They also want to build a McMansion in some field in the middle of nowhere, yet decry the death of the towns and villages, when of course they don't' themselves choose to live or shop there.

They will decry any property tax the government will impose on them, stating that its an illegal tax or immoral tax or something.
    Lets not even talk about water.

We as a nation are riven with utter stupidity and hypocrisy which prevents us being a grown-up nation, where we look and analyse issues in a grown-up fashion.

And,Marko..who will think about t'oul Broadband ?

I also wonder if Land Rover Ireland's asset,was one of the burned out vehicles after the return visitation ?

Hard to be a successful Farmer these days without an oul Discovery in the haggard ;)

Looking through the list of successful judgements secured against this Gentleman,it's difficult to find ANY major Irish Financial operation which did'nt lend him a few bob.

Any word from the local Credit-Union ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Family are in there. The security firm have gone home and there are groups of people from different parts of the country around. A boon for the local economy.

The local cash-based economy I'd imagine ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Would you be happy to see them evicted by security from south of the border ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

pablo128 wrote: »
    Do you realise people are not thick, do you not realise that anyone reading this thread is reading your posts and dismissing them because of all the lies and dramatics you are posting?

The elderly family were violently thrown out of their home, ended up with horrific injuries. Your bank supporting FFG media didn't report that and instead labelled the community's response in Strokestown as that famous word "dissidents".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The elderly family were violently thrown out of their home, ended up with horrific injuries. Your bank supporting FFG media didn't report that and instead labelled the community's response in Strokestown as that famous word "dissidents".

Proof??? And by that I mean proof that elderly people were violently thrown into a ditch....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,122 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What horrific injuries exactly?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Heard on Morning Ireland this morning that two of the family members have moved back into the property, and just want to put this whole thing behind them and get on with their lives.

ah sure god love them,

and here's me the fool struggling to pay off my mortgage...sure i might as well pull a stroke and do a Strokestown

fryup wrote: »
    ah sure god love them,

and here's me the fool struggling to pay off my mortgage...sure i might as well pull a stroke and do a Strokestown

Apparently if you "leave" and your other half stays and says they just want to get on with their life, that absolves a debt.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

pablo128 wrote: »
    You're clutching at straws. It didn't matter who turned up, there was going to be resistance. The 2 siblings will be removed again, and in a few weeks time people will find something else to be outraged at.

Hardly clutching at straws . The company is shoddy and handled the situation horrifically badly. It is the county sheriff that has questions to anwser here for employing a crowd of cowboys for such a sensitive operation.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Proof??? And by that I mean proof that elderly people were violently thrown into a ditch....

There's a ditch outside the property. The propaganda emanating from the FFG Indo today is disgusting.

FredFunk wrote: »
    And five parcels of land of which 65 acres wouldn't make a large dent in.
    It is all the hallmarks of the Sean Quinn situation. He gambled, he lost.

Outright owner of 5 folio's of land.

Were any of these folio's themselves accquired through a "distress sale",perhaps even a repossession situation itself ?

There may be a bit of Christmas work here for an intrepid investigative journalist somewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The elderly family were violently thrown out of their home, ended up with horrific injuries.

Horrific injuries. Would ya ever Fooooook Off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Heard on Morning Ireland this morning that two of the family members have moved back into the property, and just want to put this whole thing behind them and get on with their lives.
    Any chance they would pay their taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

zapitastas wrote: »
    Hardly clutching at straws . The company is shoddy and handled the situation horrifically badly. It is the county sheriff that has questions to anwser here for employing a crowd of cowboys for such a sensitive operation.

No other security company, certainly not one from the republic, will do this kind of work because of the neanderthal response this eviction and others like it got. Who would want their face plastered all over FB with people asking for their names and addresses to be made public?

There's a ditch outside the property. The propaganda emanating from the FFG Indo today is disgusting.

Oh well then, the existence of a ditch clearly proves me wrong, these 104 year old people were definitely thrown out of a second floor window into a ditch full of brambles, that's me told.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Without doubt there are times when evictions are necessary and should be a last resort.
    However the way to handle an eviction is not to hire a few heavy handed thugs to come along in masks and unmarked cars.
    This process could be carried out in a better fashion, may take more time but ultimately better result overall.
    Eg if the Bank now own the property and after final warnings they could turn services off water and electricity to get people to move voluntarily.
    If approved, trained and regulated security personnel need to enter the house they could do so without manhandling the occupants out. Just take possession of the house and wait for people to leave.

A much less confrontational approach is needed especially in the first instance.
    The nature of this eviction, whether justified or not, was a disgrace

No other security company, certainly not one from the republic, will do this kind of work because of the neanderthal response this eviction and others like it got. Who would want their face plastered all over FB with people asking for their names and addresses to be made public?

I noticed on the Facebook video's,that at least one of the Repo Man's staff was wearing a body-cam.

Perhaps there is other footage,not yet in the public domain,which will allow for more informed opinion to be given ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

joe40 wrote: »
    Without doubt there are times when evictions are necessary and should be a last resort.
    However the way to handle an eviction is not to hire a few heavy handed thugs to come along in masks and unmarked cars.
    This process could be carried out in a better fashion, may take more time but ultimately better result overall.
    Eg if the Bank now own the property and after final warnings they could turn services off water and electricity to get people to move voluntarily.
    If approved, trained and regulated security personnel need to enter the house they could do so without manhandling the occupants out. Just take possession of the house and wait for people to leave.

A much less confrontational approach is needed especially in the first instance.

Best of luck with that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,901 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yawn... he owes near a half a mill to the revenue.

The same "people not willing to keep their head down any longer" will be bitching on social media in a month about hospital waiting lists and how the social welfare is too low.
    Well you are wrong here because most of these people work and are not troublemakers. They certainly wouldn't be looking for bigger social welfare payments, I'd guess they would be complaining that it's far too high and easy to get.
    how exactly? they refused to leave. should the security guys have just gone home?

Those nothern thugs should never have been hired in the first place.
    fryup wrote: »
    so thats the crux of the matter then? not the eviction per se but the fact the security firm were from the wrong tribe

if they were SF thugs ...would you still have a problem?
    Asked and answered already in this thread and no we don't want thugs involved.
    I've highlighted what you wrote to help you. Not willing to keep the head down has nothing to do with the nanny state. The nanny state is one which takes all the decisions for the individual, "nanny knows best". Being fed up with the nanny state would suggest people should have more personal responsibility, like paying their loans or facing the consequences when they don't.

In this instance they decided to take action against northern thugs being brought down here to do this job.

If you can't understand that there are lots of people in this country with a deep hatred of anything approaching the black and tans then you really don't understand people outside of your own little circle.
    FredFunk wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, the GFA forgave all thugs on both sides.
    The soft border on this Island allows freedom of trade and services.
    Repossession is not for the faint-hearted, especially when the occupants refuse to budge. Ok it could have been handled a little better (wait til Jan) , but that hardly tips the scales of sympathy in favour of the occupants.
    Do you not understand your Irish history? Do you not understand that the famine and all the evictions by British landlords is deeply embedded in the psyche of many people. Remember the black and tans? This reminds people of all this stuff and they are not going to stand for it.

If this was done in a manner approaching civil by respected people then I think it would have went off a lot better.

joe40 wrote: »

Most farms I know would have a well and a generator, cutting off power wouldn't have any effect.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Horrific injuries. Would ya ever Fooooook Off.

You'd want to retract that and see the attachment, just one of a number of horrific injuries inflicted by the violent firm on an elderly man. Hope you wish him a speedy recovery?

• Advertisement

What were the people there for then? They didn't know the "manner" of the future events, were they just there to observe?

Advertisement