Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

gandalf wrote: »
    FFS no they aren't! Two are in their mid fifties and the other is mid sixties.

Mid sixties is pension age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

mariaalice wrote: »
    No farmer is going to buy the land at least not local farmers and someone from outside would not be able to farm it as they could not be sure as what would be happening when they were not there because of the way they acquired the land. Complete fail fail for KBC. The occupants are elderly KBC would have got there money when they died.

Lovely welcoming community there. Must be the fabeled rural Ireland friendlyness I keep hearing of up here in the big smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Complete fail fail for KBC. The occupants are elderly KBC would have got there money when they died.
    In 30 years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Mid sixties is pension age.

FFS it's not elderly by todays standard. My mother is in her mid seventies and she deck me if I called her elderly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

listermint wrote: »
    Boasting ?

The plank on the video kept on refering to him as Irish and he said I'm British.

Talk about twisting a story to suit an agenda.

Yeah,so you think the UDA thug didn't know what he was saying in a border county during an eviction and was announcing that to take the tension out of the situation?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Lovely welcoming community there. Must be the fabeled rural Ireland friendlyness I keep hearing of up here in the big smoke.
    This is Local stuff for Local People....Not for Un-Local people .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

No farmer is going to buy the land at least not local farmers and someone from outside would not be able to farm it as they could not be sure as what would be happening when they were not there because of the way they acquired the land. Complete fail fail for KBC. The occupants are elderly KBC would have got there money when they died.

In thirty years time.

And then everyone that has a KBC mortgage would just think grand, I'll stop paying now sure I'll be dead in 40 years and the bank can have the house then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

All that smog is going to your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

tipptom wrote: »
    Yeah,so you think the UDA thug didn't know what he was saying in a border county during an eviction and was announcing that to take the tension out of the situation?:rolleyes:

How is Roscommon a border county???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If that someone somewhere had of had the cop on not to bring a Loyalist hit squad to a border county boasting about their Britishness to stoke up tensions then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Roscommon isn't near the border

Look up a map.
    Roscommon is not a border county.

How many times do you have to be told for it to sink in.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

blinding wrote: »
    This is Local stuff for Local People....Not for Un-Local people .

Not really when it affects every taxpayer and everyone who has a mortgage with KBC.

Perhaps Roscommon should set up it's own bank and it's own Revenue for only the people of Roscommon, and it can give out mortages that don't need to be paid back and collect and spend it's own taxes. It seems that a section of the people in Roscommon think their local businesses should be tax exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Fair bit of damage done to the house.

I'd say they'll need to pay in cash to anyone they get in to repair it. :)

Upfront too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    In 30 years time?

I did not make a comment on the rights or wrongs of the situation just on the practical realities of what would most likely happen if someone buys a repossessed farm in a small community, KBC were a bit silly not to take that in to account.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Could somebody enlighten me as to why Gardai don't carry out evictions?

the police force of the country cant be involved in civil law.
    They have enough criminal law to deal with.

Do you really think the police should be forcing people out of their homes? Gardai should never become involved in evictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Because it borders Leitrim which borders Cavan which borders Northern Ireland. It's a mid-north-west thing. Don't turn your back on us, we are cute hoors up this way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

heres the farmer featuring on the tax defaulters list in 2015 https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmers-feature-on-2015-revenue-tax-defaulters-list/
    Co. Roscommon farmer Anthony McGann has a penalty of €177,388.00 by the Revenue commissioners for under-declaration of VAT. In total the farmer, from Mount Brown, Strokestown owes a total of €429,501.00 to the Revenue and is the farmer with the largest figure on the tax defaulters list.
    revenue doc via rte https://static.rasset.ie/documents/business/defaulters-list2-june2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

jmayo wrote: »
    The only money grabbing I see is from the individual who took out a loan and hasn't paid it back, under declared his VAT that he owed revenue and ran up debts with local businesses..

@expectationalist I'll see your 400k and match you 500k

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/revenue-inspector-concluded-michael-lowry-owed-over-516-000-1.3532153

What was it that Ruth Coppinger said of the fines ? Chicken feed wasn't it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/michael-lowrys-sentence-for-tax-offences-a-chicken-feed-fine-37057639.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

riemann wrote: »
    Interesting reading.

Hanly getting a judgement against anyone is ironic.

This story just keeps giving

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

riemann wrote: »
    Case and point.

Quiet day over on journal.ie?

Can you give some examples of posts that are foaming.

I'm intrigued by your take on the matter.

To the average reader it appears to are attempting to rile people up using some play ground antics but no one is taking the bait.

But please cite some examples of the foam and anger in posts.

Especially ones of mine since you are directing your hilarity my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

STB. wrote: »

Amazing people come the the rescue if tax defaulters with whataboutery .

Can all tax defaulters not be considered in the wrong...

Equally..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Cupatae wrote: »
    Im just glad there is huge support for the people that threw that security firm out, great to see people backing there own over money and scumbag banks.

The money owed was for under declaration of VAT. So he did work for people like you. Charged you VAT and you paid it to him. Then he put that VAT money in his own pocket. So he didn't screw the bank, he screwed people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Zorya wrote: »
    Because it borders Leitrim which borders Cavan which borders Northern Ireland. It's a mid-north-west thing. Don't turn your back on us, we are cute hoors up this way. ;)

You're all sheep stealers in my view! :)

awec wrote: »
    Not really when it affects every taxpayer and everyone who has a mortgage with KBC.

How does it effect KBC customers ?

KBC profits in Ireland for the first 6 months of 2018 - 116 million.

Sold their distressed loans of just under 2 billion to vulture funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

awec wrote: »

Perhaps Roscommon should set up it's own bank and it's own Revenue for only the people of Roscommon, and it can give out mortages that don't need to be paid back and collect and spend it's own taxes. It seems that a section of the people in Roscommon think their local businesses should be tax exempt.
    Sure aren't the roscommon co coucil on the tax defaulted list themselves this year must be a Roscommon thing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

KBC profits in Ireland for the first 6 months of 2018 - 113 million.

Sold their distressed loans of 2 billion to vulture funds.

You see all the banks are selling their distressed loans to vulture funds because they don't want to deal with the fallout of evictions and who can blame them looking at yesterdays assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

gctest50 wrote: »
    Anthony McGann, of Falsk, near Strokestown, Co Roscommon, is the registered owner of five land portfolios in the Land Registry, all of which have had the same judgment orders registered against them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/roscommon-eviction-farmer-has-unpaid-debts-going-back-years-1.3734439

The earliest court judgment registered against Mr McGann’s Co Roscommon property in the Land Registry files was in 1997, when an amount of £6,994 (€8,853) was at the centre of a dispute with ACC Bank in the Circuit Court. It appears the debt was cleared in 2002.

However a debt of €37,960 with ACC Asset Finance, which was the subject of a High Court order in 2009, remains registered against Mr McGann’s interest in the Co Roscommon land.

In the same month in 2009, a Co Roscommon business called Hanly Brothers Ltd registered a debt of €18,236 after securing a Circuit Court order against Mr McGann. That debt remains outstanding, the registry records indicate.
    planning for a house in 2001 http://apps.roscommoncoco.ie/PlanningListsPre2010/2005/Oct%2005/granted%2010-14%20october.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mayo , Galway , Sligo , Leitrim . Loyalists took too much in 1922 . Just no good at Geography or Evictions .;)

listermint wrote: »
    Amazing people come the the rescue if tax defaulters with whataboutery .

Can all tax defaulters not be considered in the wrong...

Equally..

I'm not ! I despise them all equally!

It crept into the thread though. Some of the people who we are meant to hold in high regard are equally of importance when it comes to accountability.

No whataboutery. Simple point. Same way the biggest tax defaulter this year in Roscommon was Roscommon County Council, just under a half mill in settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,244 ✭✭✭✭noodler

KBC profits in Ireland for the first 6 months of 2018 - 116 million.

Sold their distressed loans of just under 2 billion to vulture funds.

Emm yeah, key word being distressed,i.e. Sold at a loss.

And what's their profits got to do with it?

They should dorgore profits to allow those who choose get a free ride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

How is a 55 year old elderly?

How is a person from Northern Ireland a loyalist paramilitary?

How is a tax defaulter a hero?

How are the banks responsible for all this?

None of these are questions that will be answered in this thread.

Advertisement