Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Delighted. While everyone should pay their bills remember the bank bailout was put onto every Irish person here. They didn't pay their bills yet it was put onto us all. It's finally great that Irish people are standing up for themselves and not being as passive as before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sciprio wrote: »
    Delighted. While everyone should pay their bills remember the bank bailout was put onto every Irish person here. They didn't pay their bills yet it was put onto us all. It's finally great that Irish people are standing up for themselves and not being as passive as before.

KBC weren't bailed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Going by that logic, if I get a mortgage on my family home and don't pay it back, they can't kick me out because my wife lives there? Is that what you are saying?

What I'm saying is while many people now see houses purely as a financial asset, they are actually dwellings where people live. A roof over their head if you will.

Thankfully the law isn't as cut and dried when it comes to peoples homes.

I just hope it all ends up okay for the two siblings, who could easily have been oblivious to the whole financial situation.

Several posters on here seem to be foaming at the mouth at the thought of a farmer living it up spending millions literally stolen from their pockets. It didn't look to me that they were exactly living in the lap of luxury? Or maybe there was a swimming pool in the shed at the back with a fleet of sports cars.

These are the type of lads you should be saving your ire for.

Johnny

Bernard

Larry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Kimbot wrote: »
    KBC weren't bailed out.

By Irish Taxpayers....they were by Belgian ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

riemann wrote: »
    Doesn't always work that simply my good man.

If he has been 55 years living in the house, and if his sister has done the same, not many judges are going to send them to the side of the road.

He probably built the house.

I've heard of several instances like this, usually comes up after a bereavement where two siblings live together and the property has been willed to a niece or nephew for example. Again I don't really have a clue but time will tell.

No it is that's simple.

Is he on the deeds ?

If no and the owner and occupant are and are still alive then he doesn't have a claim for a claim for compensation from the bank.

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is while many people now see houses purely as a financial asset, they are actually dwellings where people live. A roof over their head if you will.

I just hope it all ends up okay for the two siblings, who could easily have been oblivious to the whole financial situation.

Several posters on here seem to be foaming at the mouth at the thought of a farmer living it up spending millions literally stolen from their pockets. It didn't look to me that they were exactly living in the lap of luxury? Or maybe there was a swimming pool in the shed at the back with a fleet of sports cars.

Johnny

Bernard

Larry

Who's foaming.

What's with the hyperbole.

Are you ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Someone somewhere
    decided they didn't have to pay the revenue, or co-operate with the revenue investigation,
    decided they didn't need to pay the mortgage.
    decided they didn't need to pay some of their suppliers

Well then what happened?

If that someone somewhere had of had the cop on not to bring a Loyalist hit squad to a border county boasting about their Britishness to stoke up tensions then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Could you theoretically get a mortgage out, pay a few months off then stop paying but live in the house for free for up to 6/7 years?
    Just asking for a friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

tipptom wrote: »
    Someone somewhere
    decided they didn't have to pay the revenue, or co-operate with the revenue investigation,
    decided they didn't need to pay the mortgage.
    decided they didn't need to pay some of their suppliers

Well then what happened?

If that someone somewhere had of had the cop on not to bring a Loyalist hit squad to a border county boasting about their Britishness to stoke up tensions then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Roscommon isn't near the border

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Anthony McGann, of Falsk, near Strokestown, Co Roscommon, is the registered owner of five land portfolios in the Land Registry, all of which have had the same judgment orders registered against them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/roscommon-eviction-farmer-has-unpaid-debts-going-back-years-1.3734439

The earliest court judgment registered against Mr McGann’s Co Roscommon property in the Land Registry files was in 1997, when an amount of £6,994 (€8,853) was at the centre of a dispute with ACC Bank in the Circuit Court. It appears the debt was cleared in 2002.

However a debt of €37,960 with ACC Asset Finance, which was the subject of a High Court order in 2009, remains registered against Mr McGann’s interest in the Co Roscommon land.

In the same month in 2009, a Co Roscommon business called Hanly Brothers Ltd registered a debt of €18,236 after securing a Circuit Court order against Mr McGann. That debt remains outstanding, the registry records indicate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That man fought in two world wars. You have some bloody respect
    And started the Third and he is only getting in to a canter !;)

tipptom wrote: »

Boasting ?

The plank on the video kept on refering to him as Irish and he said I'm British.

Talk about twisting a story to suit an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Have you got a link to where this is actually evaluated. I mean a proper explanation of the figures involve.

You clearly haven't a clue how banks set interest rates if you think they publish information that breaks it down over cost recovery, risk premium, profit. (At least I think that's what your point is?)
    How come when there were very few repossessions in the past that the interest rates were still very high?

During the boom times, we were flooded with foreign banks trying to jump on the bandwagon and interest rates came down to continental levels. Thats why people were getting tracker rates of less than 1% when Cost of Funds collapsed. It is simply not true to say we had high interest rates unless you are talking about the 70's to the 90's. Back then mortgages were a fraction of what they are now and people had this mad notion that whatever bill they paid, they made sure they paid the mortgage.
    I think Irish consumers are suffering exorbitant bank charges and interest rates because the banks can get away.

Correct, no foreign banks will touch us with a barge pole despite returns being twice what they are on the continent and despite Ireland being Europe's fastest growing economy. Why do you think that is? Foreign banks don't like making profits maybe?
    AIB made in the first 6 months profits of 726 million, BOI 500 million in 2018, they are making money hand over fist.

The story that some how our interest are high because of repossession problems does not in my mind add up. It is just an excuse to gouge Irish people.

Interest rates are a factor of market forces and risk. Risk is seen to be high in the Irish market partly because of utterly simplistic attitude to security enforcement. Competition is non-existent because foreign banks won't come here despite the obvious attractions. Why do you think that is?

Lackey wrote: »
    Someone, somewhere,
    probably earning a six figure salary had to sit at a desk in a suit and decide that hiring a British ‘security firm’ to evict Irish farmers off their land was a good idea,
    draw up the paper work and sign it
    I would love to know who that bright spark was :)
    Future head honcho of the Bank.....I can’t understand why they always fook it up in the end :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Something that strikes me as strange is how come someone from the middle of the Roscommon countryside had a loan with KBC.

Where is/was the nearest KBC branch to Roscommon?

Most people in rural Ireland would have dealt with the two main banks, BOI and AIB.
    Then some near larger towns would have dealt with Ulster.
    And some others would have dealt with one of the main building societies.

Some farmers would have dealings with ACC.

Was it a case that he couldn't get a loan with any nearby bank ?

EDIT:
    just saw gctest's post and the "poor" farmers intreracts with ACC.
    That explains a fair bit.

As I profiled this guy earlier, he has a bit of history with regard not paying his debts.

theres nothing thankfully about it

its a direct input into our not being able to sort out our property market

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Fair bit of damage done to the house.

I'd say they'll need to pay in cash to anyone they get in to repair it. :)

gandalf wrote: »
    All the SJWs on the Interwebs jumped to their aid and they lived happily ever after again :)
    Thats not how the Jesse James / Ned kelly Stories End !

gctest50 wrote: »

In the same month in 2009, a Co Roscommon business called Hanly Brothers Ltd registered a debt of €18,236 after securing a Circuit Court order against Mr McGann. That debt remains outstanding, the registry records indicate.

Interesting reading.

Hanly getting a judgement against anyone is ironic.

Sciprio wrote: »
    We definitely should have been let ritually sacrifice at least 10 bankers just to get some of that ire out of our systems . I am actually sincere about that .

Ok , at least put them in jail for a long time .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

blinding wrote: »
    Future head honcho of the Bank.....I can’t understand why they always fook it up in the end :eek:

Or they thought it might be a bit of craic on a December evening. Like real-life Sims

"We'll give the paddies loads of cheap credit n see what happens "

" Oh no, they've spent it all on big houses"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Johnny

Bernard

Larry

Alongside a FG cabinet minister whom shafted their suppliers and revenue and ordered our Gardaí to detain her at Dublin airport for investigating it.

These cases are why ordinary normal people are going against the grain with authoritys in this country.

You work your arse of to pay the bills to stand still but the govermant create loopholes and even charity status for big business and we pay for them.

KBC weren't bailed out.
    Apparently the Belgians bailed them out and most of us have drank at least some Belgian beer . We supped with the devil for them fookers .

listermint wrote: »
    Who's foaming.

Case and point.

Quiet day over on journal.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Could somebody enlighten me as to why Gardai don't carry out evictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farming-news/garda-investigate-dissident-links-to-predawn-attack-at-property-repossessed-from-farmer-37632525.html

He has financial difficulties which stretch back almost a decade and include a more than €400,000 settlement secured by the Revenue Commissioners against him in 2015 for the under-declaration of VAT.

Land Registry records for the Falsk property also show that more than €18,000 was secured in a judgment in December 2008, which was subsequently registered against his property. That judgment was obtained by a local company which operated a quarry at the time.

In 2015, Revenue secured a settlement totalling €429,501 against the evicted man as a tax defaulter for the under declaration of VAT. It included €177,000 in tax owed, almost €75,000 in interest, and more than €177,000 in penalties.

In January this year, a judgment mortgage was secured against the man in the Midland Circuit Court by Cabot Asset Purchases (Ireland).

In 2004, the farmer had secured a mortgage from IIB Homeloans, the Belgian-owned lender that rebranded as KBC in 2009. In 2017, it emerged KBC Bank Ireland sold a chunk of loans to credit-servicing and debt-collection firm Cabot Financial Ireland, a unit of the US-based Cabot group.
    so why did he get mortgage in 2004? and what others business was involved in with ?

IIB was the same bank Beades got his loans off https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/bank-gets-high-court-permission-to-carry-out-possession-orders-on-properties-owned-by-anti-eviction-activist-jerry-beades-852067.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No farmer is going to buy the land at least not local farmers and someone from outside would not be able to farm it as they could not be sure as what would be happening when they were not there because of the way they acquired the land. Complete fail fail for KBC. The occupants are elderly KBC would have got there money when they died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Odhinn wrote:
    Could somebody enlighten me as to why Gardai don't carry out evictions?

Civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

mariaalice wrote: »
    The occupants are elderly KBC would have got there money when they died.

FFS no they aren't! Two are in their mid fifties and the other is mid sixties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

KBC weren't bailed out.

Yes I gather they didn't opt for the Irish Bank guarantee. They didn't have to when the Belgian Government ploughed €3.5 billion of capital into them.

They did however sell just under €2 billion of their distressed loan book to vulture funds this year.

Advertisement