Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've removed some off-topic and potentially defamatory posts, please heed Axwell's earlier mod note and mine. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OK folks, there were a fair few posts deleted, I get the jist of the problem but not the details, if any of you would care to give me some context by way of a news article or something by PM then I'll re-open this (just need to know what is discussable).

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Steve wrote: »
    OK folks, there were a fair few posts deleted, I get the jist of the problem but not the details, if any of you would care to give me some context by way of a news article or something by PM then I'll re-open this (just need to know what is discussable).

Thanks.

Pm sent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OK, thread re-opened on the following condition:

NO discussion of the alleged 'incident' will be permitted. There is an ongoing Garda investigation (reported on a mainstream news site) but that's as far as it has got.

Any discussion will lead to this being closed and action taken against those who discussed it.

If the situation changes, this condition will be reviewed / relaxed as appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I see he posted on his Facebook page an hour ago, seems excited for 2019.

Good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Axwell wrote: »
    There is a story doing the rounds this morning in the tabloids with allegations towards an unnamed Irish Sports Star. It goes without saying be very very careful what you post here both as regards the allegations of the story and those involved and the legal ramifications of both. Any stupidity will be severely punished, you have been warned.

Thank you to the moderators for all your tremendous work not just today but through all your lives.

Mr. Mcgregor is an individual of tremendous moral character and has never displayed any indication that he would behave in any manner other than law abiding.

Truly an inspiration to us all. I find it hard to believe anyone could harbor any ill will towards him, let alone post scandalous rumours online in a place of such integrity as this great forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

riemann wrote: »
    Thank you to the moderators for all your tremendous work not just today but through all your lives.

Mr. Mcgregor is an individual of tremendous moral character and has never displayed any indication that he would behave in any manner other than law abiding.

Truly an inspiration to us all. I find it hard to believe anyone could harbor any ill will towards him, let alone post scandalous rumours online in a place of such integrity as this great forum.

Your basic lack of understanding as to why they needed to pull the plug on this thread for a while is truly remarkable.

Perhaps you thought I was joking?

1 month ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Khabib's da said they have agreed to a $500,000 fine and 9 month suspension which if true means Khabib would be eligible to fight from 6th July next year so international fight week could be his first title defense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Khabib rarely fights in the summer cause of Ramadan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cliggg wrote: »
    Khabib's da said they have agreed to a $500,000 fine and 9 month suspension which if true means Khabib would be eligible to fight from 6th July next year so international fight week could be his first title defense

The interim belt is being polished as we speak. Hope its Dustin v Tony.
    Really want Holloway to stay at 45 potential fights with mendes, Zabit , moicano, yair Rodriguez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

xtal191 wrote: »

Ends at the start of June next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

riemann wrote:

riemann wrote:

riemann wrote:

Are you feeling ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

Steve wrote: »
    Perhaps you thought I was joking?

1 month ban.

bit harsh ay to ban him?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

nathan99 wrote: »
    bit harsh ay to ban him?

Welcome to the MMA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xtal191 wrote: »
    But ramadan ends on 4th June next year.

Ramadan effects training because they can't eat or drink (even water) before sunset. Basically reverse gremlins. For a fight in early July, half of his camp would be compromised and I doubt he would be up for it nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Kirby wrote: »
    Welcome to the MMA forum.

I've had to stop reading and posting in it. Appreciate I'm posting in it now! Never seen mods as power hungry in any forum anywhere else on the internet. Its like being in Pinochets Chile.

Back on topic, athletes observing ramadan have it down. Khabib has fought a few times in the summer, in and around Ramadan. They just work through different schedules. And it can be flexible for pro athletes. Look at footballers in the world cup etc.

The Nal wrote: »
    Back on topic, athletes observing ramadan have it down. Khabib has fought a few times in the summer, in and around Ramadan. They just work through different schedules. And it can be flexible for pro athletes. Look at footballers in the world cup etc.
    I don't think he has fought during Ramadan in the UFC or with a large portion of his camp inside Ramadan. I would have to check the dates. Fighting a few times in summer means little because you can fight before it no problem.

He definitely refused to fight at least once due to it and I assume UFC are aware of his requirements.

The other thing is that he has a bit of money and fame now, and the belt. There's always a difference between a fighter chasing the belt and the same fighter after he wins it in terms of willingness to take fights they don't really want etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Nal wrote: »
    . Its like being in Pinochets Chile

Christ on a ****ing bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The interim belt is being polished as we speak. Hope its Dustin v Tony.
    Really want Holloway to stay at 45 potential fights with mendes, Zabit , moicano, yair Rodriguez.
    Holloway Rodriguez could be a great fight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

4bOJKS9.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

cliggg wrote: »

Ramadan ends on June the 4th so realistically to get a full 8 week fight camp in he probably won't be fighting until August if that is the case.

Edit: didn't see all the posts subsequent to the above basically saying the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It would realistically be even later. He'd have to recover significantly after Ramadan before getting into a camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

There is a different rumor being bandied around at the moment that I am very keen on. The Holloway rematch. Max has improved drastically since the first fight. I would love to see this fight either at 155 or 145 if McGregor can make the cut. Win his belt back and end the streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I think the effects of Ramadan are being overstated. It's awkward with training but you can eat and drink what you like between sunset and sunrise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Does anyone here think we'll see the remaining 5 fights Conor is contracted for? I'm guessing it will cost him if we dont

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rory28 wrote: »
    There is a different rumor being bandied around at the moment that I am very keen on. The Holloway rematch. Max has improved drastically since the first fight. I would love to see this fight either at 155 or 145 if McGregor can make the cut. Win his belt back and end the streak.

I can't see McGregor making 145 easily. He'd need to a bit of muscle to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I can't see McGregor making 145 easily. He'd need to a bit of muscle to do that.

True but Max has been toying with the idea of moving up. A great way to cement himself in 155 would be a win over Conor and vice versa for McGregor it would put him right back into the title mix even if I dont see a second Khabib fight going any different than the first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rory28 wrote: »
    True but Max has been toying with the idea of moving up. A great way to cement himself in 155 would be a win over Conor and vice versa for McGregor it would put him right back into the title mix even if I dont see a second Khabib fight going any different than the first.

Yeah, if the fight happens, it'll happen at 155.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement