Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He seems to be training in SBG Naas the last little while. I wonder is that because it's cheaper to get a taxi to there rather than Concorde :pac:

Does Peter Queally have a fight coming up? Might be helping him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Can't help but think there must be some frostiness between him and JK. Johns gone on record a few times now to say they haven't spoken and McGregor not exactly hiding the fact that he goes to Naas now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He seems to be training in SBG Naas the last little while. I wonder is that because it's cheaper to get a taxi to there rather than Concorde :pac:

I've noticed that myself and was wondering if it had anything to do with a fall out. Although I did see Quelly post about himself Conor and Sergei all owning SBG Naas around the time it was officially opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

A really good interview with John Kavangh in the Independent today. He is a lot more honest about Conor than usual, he says he acted like a Jackass when he jumped the cage at the Bellator event and this passage

PK: And we do agree. The question is when is too far?
    JK: I certainly wouldn't stand for something racist, or anything along those lines. I mean (exhales) . . . some of the stuff he says is just childish. I can't take it all that seriously.
    PK: Was the stuff about Khabib not crossing the line?
    JK: What in particular?
    PK: "There's a smell off your father."
    JK: Yeah, dumb, stupid, childish.
    PK: Wrong?
    JK: Okay, wrong.

Obviously he says very nice things about Conor too but it's interesting to me that he'd say he acted dumb given Conor's ego.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/paul-kimmage-meets-renowned-mma-coach-john-kavanagh-who-gives-a-passionate-defence-of-his-sport-and-most-notorious-pupil-37607552.html

cliggg wrote: »
    A really good interview with John Kavangh in the Independent today. He is a lot more honest about Conor than usual, he says he acted like a Jackass when he jumped the cage at the Bellator event and this passage

PK: And we do agree. The question is when is too far?
    JK: I certainly wouldn't stand for something racist, or anything along those lines. I mean (exhales) . . . some of the stuff he says is just childish. I can't take it all that seriously.
    PK: Was the stuff about Khabib not crossing the line?
    JK: What in particular?
    PK: "There's a smell off your father."
    JK: Yeah, dumb, stupid, childish.
    PK: Wrong?
    JK: Okay, wrong.

Obviously he says very nice things about Conor too but it's interesting to me that he'd say he acted dumb given Conor's ego.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/paul-kimmage-meets-renowned-mma-coach-john-kavanagh-who-gives-a-passionate-defence-of-his-sport-and-most-notorious-pupil-37607552.html

John's been dealing with Conor's ego for near 15 years at this stage.
    He's never used kids gloves with Conor in the gym, I doubt he's too worried about hurting his feelings in an interview in a paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭robwen

Yeah good interview, found this bit at the end quite interesting

PK: I'm just thinking about that conversation you had with him after the Alvarez fight.

JK: Well, he would certainly have to convince me to go again.

PK: Really?

JK: Yeah, I love him. I love the whole journey we've had but I'd need a good 'why'. It might be Diaz again because he promised that fight. It might be a rematch with Khabib. But if it was just: 'Well, they want me to fight that guy' I think I'd say, 'I wish you the best.'

PK: Would you?

JK: Yeah.

PK: It would be a big call.

JK: It would but again, I'll come back to my reasoning. He has a wife and two kids now and I don't want him taking more hits than he needs to. Khabib hit him with a punch in that fight that he has never been hit with in his career. And even Superman slows down at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think a massive lump of cash would be a good enough reason for JK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Wife and 2 kids? Well..... The second kid hasn't been born yet, unless he's referring to the scouse baby, and wife? Unless he's got married in secret.

JK is 40 now, tbf to him he's a martial artist first, it's all about respect and training ethics to kids. He is tired of all the bull**** that he's been around now. There is no way he'd agree with CMG throwing a hand truck through a bus window or the questionable characters he's mates with, he's from a decent family and he wouldn't go near those two drug dealer brothers that Mcg spends his time with. Its good to see him finally come out and say enough is enough, he's made a few quid and set up a business that he can develop. JK also wants the ISC to recognise MMA and CMG has hurt his campaign so many times and is one of the reasons he's struggling for politicians to listen to him.

Remember the boy who's surgery Conor paid for before the Khabib fight? He had a successful surgery which is very nice news on a cold Monday morning.

https://twitter.com/GrainneMcCullou/status/1071892208511520768

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Does Peter Queally have a fight coming up? Might be helping him out.

One about to be announced apparently

One about to be announced apparently

Yeah I was near certain he has something coming up soonish after talking to someone else who was training with him recently.

That tweet from Chael is so cringy. Would be like tweeting "just how good is Joe duffy" after every McG victory.

Chael will say/do anything to get the popular vote.

cliggg wrote: »
    Remember the boy who's surgery Conor paid for before the Khabib fight? He had a successful surgery which is very nice news on a cold Monday morning.

https://twitter.com/GrainneMcCullou/status/1071892208511520768

You'd have to question that mothers agenda now, she said she needed 10k for his operation which Mcgregor donated, she then went mad sending Tweets to Floyd and Dana and 100s of other celebs asking them to match Mcgregor's donation. She is now saying she wants to bring him to Disney land, yet she's raised 15K. I think those gofundme campaigns can be very questionable sometimes. Great the kid is better, but she started out looking for 10 k and now is looking for 40 k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Khabib has also now been granted a continuance. Next Nevada State Commission hearing isn't until the end of January.
    Lightweight division getting all held up again

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/12/10/18133944/khabib-nurmagomedov-granted-continuance-in-nevada-commission-case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Conor needs to get rid of john kavanagh ASAP. Alot of negativity in that interview he done recently. Can sense he doesn't believe in Conor anymore and would rather not attach himself to another high profile loss, getting a bit addicted to the recent wins sbg have been having. Not the kind of person you need coaching you. Always had mixed feelings about him from that time he made sure artem didn't steal his photo opportunity on the cage after the mendes victory.

spix wrote:
    Conor needs to get rid of john kavanagh ASAP. Alot of negativity in that interview he done recently. Can sense he doesn't believe in Conor anymore and would rather not attach himself to another high profile loss, getting a bit addicted to the recent wins sbg have been having. Not the kind of person you need coaching you. Always had mixed feelings about him from that time he made sure artem didn't steal his photo opportunity on the cage after the mendes victory.

I think JK realises he's gone as far as he can with Conor, he would have to sign up for the roller-coaster that is another fight. He doesn't need that hassle anymore financially. He has a few fighters he can develop and won't have the same attention.

I don't remember the incident with Artem after the mendes fight, was it an obvious snub?

PLOPS wrote: »
    I think JK realises he's gone as far as he can with Conor, he would have to sign up for the roller-coaster that is another fight. He doesn't need that hassle anymore financially. He has a few fighters he can develop and won't have the same attention.

I don't remember the incident with Artem after the mendes fight, was it an obvious snub?

Not obvious, Conor went to hug Artem then John got on the cage very quickly and leaned over him as if he wanted to be the main subject of the photo instead of Artem. Could be expected as he's the head coach but also makes me think he's got unimportant selfish things on his mind a bit more than he should. He's doing several interviews a week at this point and definitely saying alot of things he knows Conor wouldn't want him to say.

In the immediate aftermath of the Khabib loss, Conor said "Listen to nobody but yourself on your skillset" was a lesson learned.

In order for that to be a lesson learned you have to assume he took advice from someone instead of going with his own instinct. And it was the wrong advice. Who else he could be referring to other than Kavanagh?

Maybe I am reading too much into it. There are definitely some cracks in their relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

PLOPS wrote: »

If the relationship is ending it isn't because Kavanagh has suddenly decided he's got a backbone - he stayed around for the last 2 years and kept sctum when he did a couple of stupid pathetic things and would go to Twitter calling out the media for not reporting on good things he did (they actually had done). He'll have been fired off because Conor has decided he doesn't want him anymore.

Kavanagh isn't anywhere near as clever as he thinks he is IMO, and is from the Joe Rogan school of smarts. It really shouldn't be a surprise when these people who enjoying beating others up are into the alt right empathy free youtubers but still its disappointing.

Kavanagh has taken Conor as far as he can go, there is an argument about the talent pool but his pool of fighters outside of Conor have been disappointing over the last few years despite heaps of hype

• Advertisement

JK is a world class trainer, I mean look at the way Artem is continually evolving as a fighter....

Or remember how Pendred's striking became more crisp over the years.....

If there was no McG there would be no JK.

JK does not get to claim credit for making Artem the GOAT

JK can't win really can he? If he doesn't speak out against Conor's antics he's a hypocrite and is just hanging onto the coat tails of his cash cow.

When he does an interview with one of the countries top sports journalists for the countries top newspaper and answers tough questions with a degree of honesty people can't believe it and say he is only doing it because he's done with Conor or Conor is done with him!

There is a lot of work going on at the moment to try and help the public and many of our TD's and journalists distinguish between amateur MMA and professional MMA (UFC) in order to aid the IMMAA's push for adoption into Sport Ireland. I would imagine this interview is part of that process and John has to be seen, or has chosen to speak out against some of Conor's recent misdemeanors.

Either way, it's nice to see him actually acknowledge some of this out in the open. Everyone was crying out for him to do so for many months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In the immediate aftermath of the Khabib loss, Conor said "Listen to nobody but yourself on your skillset" was a lesson learned.

In order for that to be a lesson learned you have to assume he took advice from someone instead of going with his own instinct. And it was the wrong advice. Who else he could be referring to other than Kavanagh?

Maybe I am reading too much into it. There are definitely some cracks in their relationship.

You can read alot into their relationship. It also has to be said that McGregor ignored Kavanagh's advice in the first Diaz fight and lost and also ignored his advice in the final round of the Khabib fight too.

It's also hard to judge how good a coach Kavanagh is just by going on fighters he gets to the UFC. In other big gyms fighters would arrive with a high level already, that's not the case in Ireland were he's working with them from the very start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Conor doesn’t respect him anymore

Was evident at the start of 4th road v khabib

Kavanagh said “ don’t walk him down , lead him on to the left “ and what does conor do ? The opposite , walks down khabib with hands down

Completely dis-regarded his advice

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Whelo79 wrote: »
    JK can't win really can he? If he doesn't speak out against Conor's antics he's a hypocrite and is just hanging onto the coat tails of his cash cow.

When he does an interview with one of the countries top sports journalists for the countries top newspaper and answers tough questions with a degree of honesty people can't believe it and say he is only doing it because he's done with Conor or Conor is done with him!

There is a lot of work going on at the moment to try and help the public and many of our TD's and journalists distinguish between amateur MMA and professional MMA (UFC) in order to aid the IMMAA's push for adoption into Sport Ireland. I would imagine this interview is part of that process and John has to be seen, or has chosen to speak out against some of Conor's recent misdemeanors.

Either way, it's nice to see him actually acknowledge some of this out in the open. Everyone was crying out for him to do so for many months.

Well he can 'win' by calling out thuggish wrong acts at the time they happen - that would help get people off his back. If he is the true martial artist that he preaches, and the irish MMA figurehead he wants to be - there is a demand on him to say when behaviour is wrong.

Rather than a year later when its part of some vested interest of his and it looks like there is no longer a financial incentive for him to swallow his tongue.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You can read alot into their relationship. It also has to be said that McGregor ignored Kavanagh's advice in the first Diaz fight and lost and also ignored his advice in the final round of the Khabib fight too.

It's also hard to judge how good a coach Kavanagh is just by going on fighters he gets to the UFC. In other big gyms fighters would arrive with a high level already, that's not the case in Ireland were he's working with them from the very start.

However he did listen to his advice in diaz 2 fight, all 3 times he dropped him in first 2 rounds, john screamed to back away and conor listened. I actually think diaz was hurt after the last one as he took a while to recover. I remember dillon danis screaming 'hes hurt' and john cutting him off. Wonder if conor goes back to that and thinks he could have possibly avoided the tough last 3 rounds if he engaged on the ground there. If conor ended up losing that fight which was very possible as things started going downhill soon after, you could say john not believing in his ability on the ground caused it. He did get some successful gnp in the end of the first round of their fight so its not like he had reason to think he had absolutely no chance down there with diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

spix wrote: »
    However he did listen to his advice in diaz 2 fight, all 3 times he dropped him in first 2 rounds, john screamed to back away and conor listened. I actually think diaz was hurt after the last one as he took a while to recover. I remember dillon danis screaming 'hes hurt' and john cutting him off. Wonder if conor goes back to that and thinks he could have possibly avoided the tough last 3 rounds if he engaged on the ground there. If conor ended up losing that fight which was very possible as things started going downhill soon after, you could say john not believing in his ability on the ground caused it. He did get some successful gnp in the end of their first fight so its not like he had reason to think he had absolutely no chance down there with diaz.
    Diaz beats him on the ground every time, that was why. He's dangerous off his back.
    Conor is a very good brown belt.
    Nate is an excellent black belt.

Well he can 'win' by calling out thuggish wrong acts at the time they happen - that would help get people off his back. If he is the true martial artist that he preaches, and the irish MMA figurehead he wants to be - there is a demand on him to say when behaviour is wrong.

Rather than a year later when its part of some vested interest of his and it looks like there is no longer a financial incentive for him to swallow his tongue.

Like I said, he can't win. You've just lambasted him for not coming out with this soon enough.

His "vested interest" as you put it is ensuring the legitimate future of amatuer MMA in Ireland for hundreds if not thousands of up and coming kids/teenagers. So they can participate in a sport that is legally recognised by our national sporting body.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There is a story doing the rounds this morning in the tabloids with allegations towards an unnamed Irish Sports Star. It goes without saying be very very careful what you post here both as regards the allegations of the story and those involved and the legal ramifications of both. Any stupidity will be severely punished, you have been warned.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've closed this thread temporarily until mods have a chance to clean up the off-topic posts here. Might I remind people that this is the MMA forum for discussion of MMA only. Screenshots are not news, please don't post them or refer to them here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement