Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

nelly17 wrote: »
    Does anyone here think we'll see the remaining 5 fights Conor is contracted for? I'm guessing it will cost him if we dont

Probably a silly question but if he did break the contract, what could the UFC do to him with him being in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Probably a silly question but if he did break the contract, what could the UFC do to him with him being in Ireland.
    I honestly don't know but you make a good point. According to something I read yesterday (I don't know how old it was) he's making more from his Whiskey than his fighting, so with that in mind why would he care?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Does anyone here think we'll see the remaining 5 fights Conor is contracted for? I'm guessing it will cost him if we dont

If he gets beaten again I think he'll pack it in. He has nothing to fight for anymore. Dropping down and facing top 10s makes no sense. Diaz or a Khabib rematch is where the money is.

Good time to get Diaz as it'll be about 3 years since he last fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

As far as I know he is committed to 5 fights in the UFC but can retire and not fulfill this, it really only stops him fighting elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

I honestly don't know but you make a good point. According to something I read yesterday (I don't know how old it was) he's making more from his Whiskey than his fighting, so with that in mind why would he care?

Id find it hard to believe that hes making more off the whiskey than fighting. The novelty wont last with the whiskey, of all the people i know that bought it, it was a once off thing for them.

I think we've seen the best of Conor we wont ever see him as good as he was against Alvarez. I wont be too bothered if i dont see him fight again, i would of been a fan before but in the last year ive really taken a strong dislike to him.

Hes just a scumbag with money. Theres nothing likeable about him anymore.

• Advertisement

Id find it hard to believe that hes making more off the whiskey than fighting. The novelty wont last with the whiskey, of all the people i know that bought it, it was a once off thing for them.

Not in America. The land of celebrity endorsements. They could bottle AIDS and throw the name McGregor, Kardashian, Clooney or Lebron James on it and people would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Nal wrote: »
    Not in America. The land of celebrity endorsements. They could bottle AIDS and throw the name McGregor, Kardashian, Clooney or Lebron James on it and people would buy it.
    They tried it with Magic Johnson and it didn't work I think you'll find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

You'd have to question anyone's mentality that'd buy a bottle of whiskey because Mcgregor put his name on it. They can't keep it in the shops in Ireland, Americans are driving to other states for a bottle of it. You have to give it to him, he's selling 18.99euro bottles of Whiskey for 35.00euro, still think anyone who buys it has zero sense.

People paid $120 for this. A white tshirt. People are morons.

kanye-apc-white-shirt-608x480.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Really hope he fights in 2019.

Always brings a proper sense of occasion and spectacle to the UFC.

People seem to forget just how good he can be.

I know Khabib beat him,but I think it could be different next time out.

Surely with some proper training he'll be sharper on the feet.

Two weight world champions don't just forget how to fight

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

D.Q wrote: »
    Really hope he fights in 2019.

Always brings a proper sense of occasion and spectacle to the UFC.

People seem to forget just how good he can be.

I know Khabib beat him,but I think it could be different next time out.

Surely with some proper training he'll be sharper on the feet.

Two weight world champions don't just forget how to fight

?

He would have got the proper training to beat Khabib if he wasnt spread so thin. He is a whisky merchant, a fashion guru, a social media darling, head of whatever the maclife is. Khabib is just a fighter. He was and is the more focused of the two. Also the whole wrestler vs striker debate always falls on the side of the wrestler.

People paid $120 for this. A white tshirt. People are morons.

kanye-apc-white-shirt-608x480.jpg

TBF it's a lovely Tshirt, nice design, and the colour is great. That's a fair price for a Kanye original, think of all the hours put into designing a garment. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PLOPS wrote: »
    TBF it's a lovely Tshirt, nice design, and the colour is great. That's a fair price for a Kanye original, think of all the hours put into designing a garment. :pac:

He is a visionary, a genius, a lyrical wordsmith...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Surely his pride would see him in a rematch against Khabib? It doesn't matter if he has another 4 fights against Cowboy and whoever else and wins them all that defeat and the manner of it would hang over him until the day he dies. Can't see it happening though because the lifestyle he lives wouldn't permit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I think he'll probably do the Diaz fight then he's out, if he has another loss he wont be as big a pull for PPV numbers and he has lost his stock pretty much. Only the PPV numbers themselves will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think he'll probably do the Diaz fight then he's out, if he has another loss he wont be as big a pull for PPV numbers and he has lost his stock pretty much. Only the PPV numbers themselves will tell.

I don't think so, he has a fair few losses to go before people lose interest.

He's not just a top level fighter, he's also a top level celebrity. Unless he starts losing consistently and/or badly to a string of #6/7 level fighters or whatever, he'll continue to be a major draw (and arguably still would even then).

His next fight or fights will be against high level guys so there's always a chance he'll lose, but hardly any shame in it as long as he puts up a decent scrap.

His performance in the Khabib match is being blown out of porportion largely by casual viewers, it may not have been his best performance ever (or played best to his strengths more accurately maybe) but it wasn't half as bad as is made out considering the opposition.

McGregor draws in huge numbers of casual viewers, who generally don't have much appreciation for the various factors in a fight like with Khabib and all they see is 'Oh, he lost badly'.

But losing badly, and performing badly, aren't the same thing. I mean, Ortega lost pretty badly to Max, but he didn't necessarily perform badly...he was just outclassed by the best in the world on the night.

McGregor v Khabib is not really much different but the difference is the huge number of casual fans who correlate being dominated with being a bad fighter....I've grown so tired of all the comments on the likes of Facebook about how the Khabib fight 'exposed' him as some sort of fraud.

The man lost in the 4th round to the best LW in the world. It happens. No big deal and didn't tell us anything about Conor we didn't already know.

He'll continue to be a significant draw for the UFC as long as he wants to keep the game going, win, lose or draw, realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

But losing badly, and performing badly, aren't the same thing. I mean, Ortega lost pretty badly to Max, but he didn't necessarily perform badly...he was just outclassed by the best in the world on the night.

The difference there is how Conor and Ortega treated their opponents before their fights.
    I know people say that's the way Conor has always been. But it's a reason to not like him and be happy when he loses.
    I didn't watch too much of the build up, but Ortega always seemed pretty respectful towards Max.

You'd have to question anyone's mentality that'd buy a bottle of whiskey because Mcgregor put his name on it.

That's the way most advertising works. You fall for it yourself. Just not for crap whiskey!
    According to something I read yesterday (I don't know how old it was) he's making more from his Whiskey than his fighting

There's zero chance of that. Where did you read it, The Maclife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Effects wrote: »
    Kavanagh said it in his interview with Kimmage last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

That's the way most advertising works. You fall for it yourself. Just not for crap whiskey!

JK said it in his Indo interview. Still almost definitely BS though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

nathan99 wrote: »
    bit harsh ay to ban him?
    I've had to stop reading and posting in it. Appreciate I'm posting in it now! Never seen mods as power hungry in any forum anywhere else on the internet. Its like being in Pinochets Chile.
    Folks, if you have issues or comments on moderation, please do it via PM, not on thread.*

*not a suggestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Lads, I'm not going to continue to delete posts discussing moderation. I've removed 5 now.

Next one is a ban.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    JK said it in his Indo interview. Still almost definitely BS though.

Yeah JK did say that, I suppose he's making 20Mil for a MMA fight now he could easily make that if the Whiskey sells well, and the fact Molloys can't keep it in stock says alot. Still think its a flash in the pan job though, its meant to taste like white spirits, when Mcgregor rides off into the sunset the idiot fan boys will stop buying it. I've seen a few Baller friends on Facebook posting pictures of it, words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Yeah JK did say that, I suppose he's making 20Mil for a MMA fight now he could easily make that if the Whiskey sells well, and the fact Molloys can't keep it in stock says alot. Still think its a flash in the pan job though, its meant to taste like white spirits, when Mcgregor rides off into the sunset the idiot fan boys will stop buying it. I've seen a few Baller friends on Facebook posting pictures of it, words fail me.

My missus bought me one on a night out. Was grand with a bit of ice after a few pints. Nothing special but certainly not as bad as some make out.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    My missus bought me one on a night out. Was grand with a bit of ice after a few pints. Nothing special but certainly not as bad as some make out.

I think it's meant to taste like an average €20 bottle of Whiskey but he's selling it for €35. I think that's where the issue really is, the price may come down as his star fades.

cliggg wrote: »
    Kavanagh said it in his interview with Kimmage last week.

Kavanagh his business manager? Or his MMA coach?
    the fact Molloys can't keep it in stock says alot.

Probably that they just can't make it fast enough. Doesn't mean he's selling massive volume.
    I can't keep up with the demand for my own whiskey either. I'm not making more from it than my main career though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Who also says he hasn't talked to him in months :rolleyes:

Probably that they just can't make it fast enough. Doesn't mean he's selling massive volume.
    I can't keep up with the demand for my own whiskey either. I'm not making more from it than my main career though.

No, But its a goof indicator that its selling. What are the volumes it's selling , who knows. it has to be making him money though judging by the social media interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

What whiskey do you sell? I might be tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Very speculative to be thinking about mcgregor fighting again. He could be out of the ufc for good if the commissioners throw the book at him in his commission court case. If that happens he'll be lucky to ever get a visa again, US won't take kindly to the ruckus he caused. Khabib could get a big ban too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement