Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Someone close to Maurice McCabe should set up a GoFundMe page in order to help him and his family crush Callinan, should the State miss the mood of the people and choose to support Caligula.
    I would happily throw €50 into such a fund and I'm sure thousands of people either aggrieved or ashamed or appalled by this saga would also contribute from €5 to 500. And I'm sure rank and file Gardai would too. Disgusting is Callinan. Disgusting is Taylor. Disgusting is Tusla.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know the report vindicated McCabe and all that but I cannot fathom how Callanan has not been prosecuted for making up false allegations against him...and the nature of the allegations makes it so much worse...just unbelievable, cannot get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

davidmarsh wrote: »
    Same thought crossed my mind - Charleton vindicating McCabe "just enough" to end the thing. What did he say about Tusla.. an extraordinary sequence of errors the likes of which the state has never seen? There's an awful lot that continues to be covered up.

To be fair, Charleton isn't in a position to say "well I'm calling bullsh*t on that" re Tusla. There probably was enough doubt created that it may have been a terrible mistake. He didn't necessarily enjoy the freedom to say what most people think about the 'error'.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

TallGlass wrote: »
    In fairness the first time I heard it on the radio, the impression was it was a letter, 1 or 2 pages, not 110 pages.

Sure a document of that size would need to be reviewed and given the go ahead to go out.

The only letter I ever got got around that size was a mobile phone bill with my calls and texts logged even then it was about 30/40 pages.

Sorry I don't buy it was a mistake.

Nobody buys it.

I reckon it will become the focal point of peoples frustration in the coming days. It's off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Any Gardai on this thread by any chance?

Most of them seem to have pulled in their horns tonight! :D

• Advertisement

To be fair, Charleton isn't in a position to say "well I'm calling bullsh*t on that" re Tusla. There probably was enough doubt created that it may have been a terrible mistake. He didn't necessarily enjoy the freedom to say what most people think about the 'error'.

He was happy enough to call bullshjt on Callinan's lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Lorraine McCabe comes across as an incredibly strong woman, who succeeded in keeping the show on the road, when all must have appeared to have been collapsing around her. I felt so sad for her when she was recalling the occasion Maurice pointed out to her the tree on which he had wanted to hang himself. My God, what that family has had to endure. :(

She was the star of the show

Without her in his corner I doubt he would be alive today

Wouldn't that have been so much easier for the corrupt ones

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He was happy enough to call bullshjt on Callinan's lies.

They're two different things.

I'm also just speculating because I wasn't present at the hearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Disgusting is Callinan. Disgusting is Taylor. Disgusting is Tusla.

Noirin O Sullivan didnt come out of this smelling of roses. She may feel that she got away with it.
    However, I see that she seems to pursuing something as she lodged a wide ranging GDPR request against journalists.

She directed her legal team to attack McCabe's credibility. Some might say that the amazing amount of lost mobile phones and personal recollection is just not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

What an example that man is to his fellow guards and his fellow countrymen.

Watching the documentary hammered home how much the whole saga replicated some unrealistic Hollywood film script but this man had to live it for real. A lesser man wouldn’t have seen it through to the end.

As great as it is to see his name cleared, the findings on the rape allegation were completely unsatisfactory. Nobody should be accused of such things and have it explained away as some administration error or whatever.

This particular part of his ordeal needs to be investigated more thoroughly as part of a report in itself and anyone who had any act or part in the false allegation needs to be hung out to dry.

Ultimately it mustn’t be forgotten that this mans fight started because he wanted to reform the guards. This isn’t just about clearing a mans name and paying him some compo to brush it all under the carpet. The only way we’ll benefit from this is if the corruption is weeded out of our police force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

A tough watch, can only imagine the horror of going through all that. So delighted to see the united family in the final scene, what role models they have for parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 chesterwoodman

Stunning two part docunentary, one day that story will be a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

In fairness the first time I heard it on the radio, the impression was it was a letter, 1 or 2 pages, not 110 pages.

Sure a document of that size would need to be reviewed and given the go ahead to go out.

The only letter I ever got got around that size was a mobile phone bill with my calls and texts logged even then it was about 30/40 pages.

Sorry I don't buy it was a mistake.

Nobody buys it.

I reckon it will become the focal point of peoples frustration in the coming days. It's off the wall.
    If it's a genuine error it demands an organisation wide audit followed by a root and branch clear out of incompetents and the systems and culture that allow this crap to happen.

If it wasn't an error the same should happen.

Either scenario is appalling.

I don't believe it was an error. How could someone with the level of education required to become a Social Worker make that mistake? And then several equally educated colleagues miss it and compound it? Are they actually expecting people to buy this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I don't think there is a more admirable man in Ireland today. If we only had more like him.

I reckon if Callinan does not go to jail for his campaign of calumny then Ireland will continue to endure a corrupt police force with little or no accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just popped over to P.ie and cannot find any thread on this programme, am I going blind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Yes Mick Clifford was unreal.

Fair play to him.

He was very honourable and I did hear that he was under severe pressure to back off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Lots of questions need answering in my opinion.just a small one and one of the lesser ones to cross my mind was what happened to the driver that had points quashed 7 times?the dude doing 190km/h in a 100km/h zone.surely in the interest of public safety this person needs to be off the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

smurgen wrote: »
    Lots of questions need answering in my opinion.just a small one and one of the lesser ones to cross my mind was what happened to the driver that had points quashed 7 times?the dude doing 190km/h in a 100km/h zone.surely in the interest of public safety this person needs to be off the road?

Shur he was probably a son or relation to the guard in question. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I reckon if Callinan does not go to jail for his campaign of calumny then Ireland will continue to endure a corrupt police force with little or no accountability.

I think it’s fair to say everyone would like to see him punished for the disgraceful way he acted but what could be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

AGC wrote: »
    I think it’s fair to say everyone would like to see him punished for the disgraceful way he acted but what could be done?

Martin Callinan is one off the most hated people in this country over what he did to Maurice McCabe but the wheels turned now and everyone nos wa Callinan is.....

One thing about this documentary everything came out the wheel always turns and what Maurice went threw was absolute hell I imagine :(

Hopefully now he and Lorraine and kids can have a happy life again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

There's a huge chance for the government and justice system to lay down a marker and do the right thing here and punish those accountable. If only...
    Callinan and a few more should not walk away from this scot free.
    I hope McCabe and his family are aware of the respect that so many have for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well from what I remember - the social worker/counselor was a friend or acquaintance of "miss D". If she enters an allegation, supposedly made directly by a victim, into a file, I don't know how or why any of her colleagues would question it. The social worker/counselor in question is known and gave public evidence at the tribunal. How she wasn't fired for gross misconduct is beyond me. I can only imagine that it wasn't clearly provable, despite the personal links to the "victim", hence the only available option was to blame a clerical error. A whole organisation gets a massive stain on its reputation to save this woman's career.

Well I for one would like it fully investigated, the accusation is very serious and the impact it could have had on him. A clerical error as a reason just isn't good enoght after the piece tonight. You don't churn out 110 pages in error, accuse someone of raping children and then sorry 'clerical error'.

Do something like that in the private sector and you'd have a few people out on there arses for such an 'error'.

Well from what I remember - the social worker/counselor was a friend or acquaintance of "miss D". If she enters an allegation, supposedly made directly by a victim, into a file, I don't know how or why any of her colleagues would question it. The social worker/counselor in question is known and gave public evidence at the tribunal. How she wasn't fired for gross misconduct is beyond me. I can only imagine that it wasn't clearly provable, despite the personal links to the "victim", hence the only available option was to blame a clerical error. A whole organisation gets a massive stain on its reputation to save this woman's career.

I'd say that counselor had very little to do with anything. Someone tampered with that file long after she was finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 chesterwoodman

The documentary is a terrible endictment of ireland in the 21st century.

I will move out as soon as I get the chance. ..... Disgusting !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ms D apparently was not happy when that came out. She never said she was digitally penetrated. She wanted that removed and not accredited to her.

How it was spun to have actually been a part of another case and copied by accident is just not believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The garda looks lile it's being run like a mafia organisation from thks program. Some of the senior garda are actual low lives.

Leo Varadker comes out of this well. He stood up and acted when action was needed.

Didn't do his career any harm either backing the good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Well I for one would like it fully investigated, the accusation is very serious and the impact it could have had on him. A clerical error as a reason just isn't good enoght after the piece tonight. You don't churn out 110 pages in error, accuse someone of raping children and then sorry 'clerical error'.'.

Would the 110 pages have been reproduced, or would the original name on the file have been replaced with Maurice McCabe's name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Remember folks - tape all your dealings with the Gardaí !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The documentary is a terrible endictment of ireland in the 21st century.

I will move out as soon as I get the chance. ..... Disgusting !
    Where are you off to where there isn't corruption in public offices?

Advertisement