Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Remember folks - tape all your dealings with the Gardaí !

I'm thinking exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭MFPM

STB. wrote: »
    Noirin O Sullivan didnt come out of this smelling of roses. She may feel that she got away with it.
    However, I see that she seems to pursuing something as she lodged a wide ranging GDPR request against journalists.

She directed her legal team to attack McCabe's credibility. Some might say that the amazing amount of lost mobile phones and personal recollection is just not credible.

Charleton has only dealt with her time as Assistant Commissioner- her time as Commissioner is still to be dealt with it. She's up to her neck in it, the issue is if it can be proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

The parents off ms D should be named and shamed over all this same as tusla should be a total clear out and be renamed

Hopefully Maurice McCabe will bring them all to the cleaners

Only in this country will that clown callinan not get prison any other country he'd be locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

steddyeddy wrote:
    The garda looks lile it's being run like a mafia organisation from thks program. Some of the senior garda are actual low lives.

As are the rank & file "rats" we saw last night.

Dickie9 wrote: »
    The parents off ms D should be named and shamed over all this same as tusla should be a total clear

Why would miss D parents be names and shamed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,335 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cannot wait till they investigate the Templemore misappropriation of funds, and who was involved in the accounting practices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I just popped over to P.ie and cannot find any thread on this programme, am I going blind?

Same here! Shocked there is nothing about it, except a few posts on the Frances Fitzgerald thread. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,300 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just finished watching it, powerful stuff.

Incredibly strong man, and equally strong wife. That would have sunk most men, the pressure and stress must have been suffocating. All for trying go do your job properly.

Delighted he's vindicated. It must be unbelievable relief for him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

STB. wrote: »

Too many supposed journalists allowing Garda HQ to write their stories including those who had supposed pauline conversions.
    Williams, Reynolds, or both?
    Well from what I remember - the social worker/counselor was a friend or acquaintance of "miss D". If she enters an allegation, supposedly made directly by a victim, into a file, I don't know how or why any of her colleagues would question it. The social worker/counselor in question is known and gave public evidence at the tribunal. How she wasn't fired for gross misconduct is beyond me. I can only imagine that it wasn't clearly provable, despite the personal links to the "victim", hence the only available option was to blame a clerical error. A whole organisation gets a massive stain on its reputation to save this woman's career.

If I was a chef in a hotel, and made a F up as bad as that, and ended up with my employers in the district court, never mind a public tribunal, Do you think I'd still have a job for life and a pension?

I enjoyed the two shows and it was good to hear from the man himself. A bit padded out with needless footage and very annoying incidental music. But it put the whole thing in chronological order for anyone who didn't know much about the story other than news headlines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why would miss D parents be names and shamed?

Because her father was one of the drunk guards reported by McCabe. Put two and two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

A lot of extended families hurt here. On all sides. Regards to all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

The documentary is a terrible endictment of ireland in the 21st century.

I will move out as soon as I get the chance. ..... Disgusting !

Not with that spelling Bob Geldof Jrn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nearly the worst thing about all this is the fact that the GRA(Garda Union) never utter a word of support for the man or lifted a finger to help him. If that isn't a sign of a toxic culture in the AGS then I don't know what is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Nearly the worst thing about all this is the fact that the GRA(Garda Union) never utter a word of support for the man or lifted a finger to help him. If that isn't a sign of a toxic culture in the AGS then I don't know what is!!

Hot take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

To think that Martin Callinan will get his pension after this and God know what he has gotten away with during his years......Utter parasite !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

To think that Martin Callinan will get his pension after this and God know what he has gotten away with during his years......Utter parasite !!!
    he'll be a social pariah til the end of his days and his reputation and legacy are in tatters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

he'll be a social pariah til the end of his days and his reputation and legacy are in tatters

So basically a lesser form of the fate he tried to carve out for Maurice McCabe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So basically a lesser form of the fate he tried to carve out for Maurice McCabe
    pretty much. it's the best we're going to get as we don't do consequences for malpractice by civil servants in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If it's a genuine error it demands an organisation wide audit followed by a root and branch clear out of incompetents and the systems and culture that allow this crap to happen.

If it wasn't an error the same should happen.

Either scenario is appalling.

I don't believe it was an error. How could someone with the level of education required to become a Social Worker make that mistake? And then several equally educated colleagues miss it and compound it? Are they actually expecting people to buy this?

John McGuinness said Callinan told him McCabe was a kiddy fiddler and Tusla were preparing a file on him. If we are to take his statement as a credible one (which I do - he had nothing to gain and everything to lose) How did Callinan know about this file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

McCabe is a true hero for our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I wonder how many other Gardai in the past were intimidated in order to shut them up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Lorraine McCabe comes across as an incredibly strong woman, who succeeded in keeping the show on the road, when all must have appeared to have been collapsing around her. I felt so sad for her when she was recalling the occasion Maurice pointed out to her the tree on which he had wanted to hang himself. My God, what that family has had to endure. :(

And the time she drove him to the psychiatric hospital in Dublin for the night - that journey home must have been horrible. They are both incredibly strong characters and I hope they can both enjoy retirement and are well looked after from here on, both financially and personally.

The Tusla file raises so many questions.

Why was a file that contained allegations of rape left for a couple of years without any action?

Why didn’t the case worker proof read their report before printing? And, if she personally knew Miss D (as mentioned in a post above), how could she have selected a part of someone else file that contained an allegation of rape? Surely just reading that section before selecting it to copy they would have known it wasn’t MissD?

If they copied and pasted the info, what about the victim in the original file? How sure could they be that the info wasn’t cut and pasted? Was this victims case left for years without proper investigation?

How did Callinan know about a confidential Tusla file?

I inclined to disbelieve the whole copy and paste thing. I would have more respect for that social worker writing up the report if they just told the truth. Were they sacked for gross misconduct? Are they still working in social work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Birdnuts wrote: »

It may be because McCabe wasn't represented by the GRA, as a sergeant the AGSI were his rep. body.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Tusla file raises so many questions.

Why was a file that contained allegations of rape left for a couple of years without any action?

Why didn’t the case worker proof read their report before printing? And, if she personally knew Miss D (as mentioned in a post above), how could she have selected a part of someone else file that contained an allegation of rape? Surely just reading that section before selecting it to copy they would have known it wasn’t MissD?

If they copied and pasted the info, what about the victim in the original file? How sure could they be that the info wasn’t cut and pasted? Was this victims case left for years without proper investigation?

How did Callinan know about a confidential Tusla file?

I inclined to disbelieve the whole copy and paste thing. I would have more respect for that social worker writing up the report if they just told the truth. Were they sacked for gross misconduct? Are they still working in social work?
    Did they actually copy and paste 110 pages of a file ? Or am I misunderstanding ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Nah he wont unfortunately, no doubt he is spinning some other story to those he knows who want to believe him about how he was wronged. Sure just even look at this thread, there are plenty of apologists on here for what happened who would have no problem having a pint or a coffee with the man I would say.

Advertisement