Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

We need our police force, army, judges and other high officials to be completely free from political interference. I don't believe they ever will be. Politicians have always made sure that their own men are in place. They need to control the above.

We will never see a new political entity.

FF, in 2011, introduced a bill banning corporate donations, in the guise that they were cleaning up politics.

It is now virtually impossible to launch a new nationwide political party, you won't get funding unless you are elected...that's the beauty of that legislation.

Patriots the lot of 'em!!!

Even the patriot Bertie Ahern is being normalised in our media and has been for years now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

yew_tree wrote: »
    Well done Maurice McCabe...I’m angry as hell after watching that.

The big worry here is the culture in the Gardai most likely is the same and won’t change any time soon. I wish the new comminisor well but he has some job on his hands.

I genuinely don't think it's as bad as it looks. I'm thinking of the two garda from my area who were murdered doing their jobs in the last few years. I hope McCabe is well compensated for all that he suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

yew_tree wrote: »
    Well done Maurice McCabe...I’m angry as hell after watching that.

The big worry here is the culture in the Gardai most likely is the same and won’t change any time soon. I wish the new comminisor well but he has some job on his hands.

The culture in the Gardai is not the same. It will be worse now. They will have learned a lot from this exercise and will now become more devious, clever and sneaky at hiding future transgressions.
    Sad to say it but Mc Cabe has not achieved as much as we may like to think. I say that as someone who has huge respect for what he did. But it it will take more than the will of one man to change what is going on in An Garda Siochana.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Maurice is nothing short of a national hero.

I hope that Drew Harris will take this opportunity to root out the rotten core of AGS.

And finally, I hope that that scumbag Callanan is sued for every penny he has. What a disgrace of a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

These two programmes were incredibly important.

It’s heartening to see Rte, on occasion, put their funds to proper use, instead of the usual garbage they piss our license fees away on.

Well done to Katie Hannon, and all the team involved in this production

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any Gardai on this thread by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I had been following most of this story over the last few years but when you sit down and watch the whole lot together... What an absolute ****show. Callinan is a **** of the highest order and no doubt O Sullivan is just as dirty. Dave Taylor, another absolute stain.
    Fair play to that TD that stuck by McCabe, John McGuinness I think his name was. No doubt at the time was really sticking his neck out for him.
    As for McCabe.. An absolute hero and role model for all our public servants in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

Surely Tusla need to be properly investigated.

Who had access to the files? Were they contacted by Callinan or his gang? How many other files have been tampered with? Why did it take them so long to follow up if it was a genuine error*?

*Not a single person believes it was an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Makes one wonder about the stuff we haven't heard of and indeed some of what we have - Sophie Toscan du Plantier, Father Niall Molloy, Kerry Babies, etc

I'm at least heartened that there is a proven separation of powers and influence when it comes to the likes of Sean Guerin SC and Supreme Court judge Peter Charleton and the reports they compiled. That's something to celebrate!

Yet unfortunately,. you have to go thru a hell of a lot of **** to get a case in front of someone like that!

Any Gardai on this thread by any chance?

I would love to hear the honest opinions of rank and file guards on the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Missed this tonight. Anywhere I can watch it? It's not on the player yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

cursai wrote: »
    Hope he's not too traumatised to have appeared in party two of his show on the national broadcaster. I know he likes to keep his head down.

Thought you were fecking off ages ago? An amoeba would make better contributions than you've made, all noise, no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Wheety wrote: »
    Thought they should have mentioned Clare Daly being pulled over and arrested, twice, Ming being followed and Enda Kenny saying it was "probably because he looked like drug dealer" and Alan Shatter using Mick Wallace's private details live on RTE, after they raised the penalty points in the Dail. Just shows they tried to go after anyone who stood up to them.

So well summarised. And yet the view they're pedalling now is that Shatter is in the clear. As is Noreen O'Sullivan. Yeah right. Even Charleton, in allowing for the unlikely Tusla errors, is as guilty as Callinan in oppressing McCabe and, by extension, the Irish people. The tribunal found enough to satisfy McCabe while ensuring that damage limitation was the priority, particularly regarding Tusla.
    The dogs on the street know that what you say above is true.
    If it we're not for troublesome mainstream TDs like John McGuinness and John Deasy, and obviously Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, Ming etc, we would have a very sorry state of affairs. If the majority of the Dail fell into a pool and never surfaced again, it would be no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

doylefe wrote: »
    I want that dog

I love how he loves that little dog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

I had been following most of this story over the last few years but when you sit down and watch the whole lot together... What an absolute ****show. Callinan is a **** of the highest order and no doubt O Sullivan is just as dirty. Dave Taylor, another absolute stain.
    Fair play to that TD that stuck by McCabe, John McGuinness I think his name was. No doubt at the time was really sticking his neck out for him.
    As for McCabe.. An absolute hero and role model for all our public servants in this country.

I imagine John McGuinness slept very little the night after the meeting with Callinan in the hotel car park. What a decision to have to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Commissioner Harris needs a serious clear out of Senior Garda Management. If he doesn't do it soon they will manufacture his exit in time and we'll be back to square one. Pay them off to fcuk if needs be it will be worth it. They were all appointed by various cabinets and few are there on merit. They are out of their depth and are in the way of change. I'm a Garda and am scared at what could be done to my family and I if you fall foul of them and they need to bury you. It's a sad day for the force because noone will come forward after Maurice McCabe imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I genuinely don't think it's as bad as it looks. I'm thinking of the two garda from my area who were murdered doing their jobs in the last few years. I hope McCabe is well compensated for all that he suffered.

Remember the Donegal fiasco? I believe the majority are good and hard working but if those good officers notice corruption now will they speak up? Would you blame them if they didn’t?

The state will come down on you like a ton of bricks. The public confidence in the force is at an all time low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

As mentioned before in this thread, Irish people can no longer blame the Brits, the Church or other foreign or too big organisation for our ills. We have home grown rats of our own. We also have home grown people of integrity and this gives me future hope, no matter how tenuous that hope may be.

We as a nation need to stop taking the words of "pillars of society" and need to inculcate in our children a certain level of cynicism and critical thinking so as to avoid slavish belief and devotion to flawed organisations and beliefs.

Lets hope that the state reduces Callinans pension and Taylors pension by an appropriate amount to cover the costs of legal action taken against them by the whistle-blowers whose careers have been damaged by this affair. It appears most likely that the taxpayer will bear the cost of this fiasco in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

davidmarsh wrote: »

Who had access to the files? Were they contacted by Callinan or his gang? How many other files have been tampered with? Why did it take them so long to follow up if it was a genuine error*?

What did the former commissioner have on a high ranking employee of Tulsa?

That's a more appalling vista

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

By the way, to people defending NOS earlier in this thread, the Tribunal made clear deliberations that testimony given by her claiming to be completely in the dark to the campaign orchestrated by Callinan was simply not credible. That is pretty damming, some Irish love to defend the indefensible. A good woman wronged ffs....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

davidmarsh wrote: »

In fairness the first time I heard it on the radio, the impression was it was a letter, 1 or 2 pages, not 110 pages.

Sure a document of that size would need to be reviewed and given the go ahead to go out.

The only letter I ever got got around that size was a mobile phone bill with my calls and texts logged even then it was about 30/40 pages.

Sorry I don't buy it was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Without REAL journalists like Mick Clifford and Katie Hannon who were not afraid to continuously report what was happening to McCabe, the public may never have known the extent of the police state we are actually living in.

Too many supposed journalists allowing Garda HQ to write their stories including those who had supposed pauline conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

What an amazing man and wife!
    Respect.
    Emotional stuff.
    The scary thing is this sh!t is widespread in Irish society.

The clip at the end at the gaa match was fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Martin Callinan and that pig Noirin O’Suilivan are two dirty rotten slimey people. Two skid marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Maurice is nothing short of a national hero.

I hope that Drew Harris will take this opportunity to root out the rotten core of AGS.

And finally, I hope that that scumbag Callanan is sued for every penny he has. What a disgrace of a human being.

And Dave Taylor, retired recently after being suspended, should not be entitled to any pension , dont know how he sleeps at night after what he did to mc Cabe.

A big clear out is required up in the depot ,Garda HQ , Drew Harris needs to clear out the olde school and get his own team in.

I hope Mc Cabe gets millions in compensation, he and his family deserve it after what they have been put through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

STB. wrote: »
    Without REAL journalists like Mick Clifford and Katie Hannon who were not afraid to continuously report what was happening to McCabe, the public may never have known the extent of the police state we are actually living in.

Too many supposed journalists allowing Garda HQ to write their stories including those who had supposed pauline conversions.

Yes Mick Clifford was unreal.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

An Ri rua wrote: »
    So well summarised. And yet the view they're pedalling now is that Shatter is in the clear. As is Noreen O'Sullivan. Yeah right. Even Charleton, in allowing for the unlikely Tusla errors, is as guilty as Callinan in oppressing McCabe and, by extension, the Irish people. The tribunal found enough to satisfy McCabe while ensuring that damage limitation was the priority, particularly regarding Tusla.
    The dogs on the street know that what you say above is true.
    If it we're not for troublesome mainstream TDs like John McGuinness and John Deasy, and obviously Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, Ming etc, we would have a very sorry state of affairs. If the majority of the Dail fell into a pool and never surfaced again, it would be no harm at all.

Same thought crossed my mind - Charleton vindicating McCabe "just enough" to end the thing. What did he say about Tusla.. an extraordinary sequence of errors the likes of which the state has never seen? There's an awful lot that continues to be covered up.

McCabe has pulled the cover back and showed us all what's underneath. But he needs to park it now and enjoy the film when it comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Massive respect for Maurice McCabe and his wife.

To fight so hard to clear his name...to fight when fading away was easier...to fight against people in positions like Commissioner of AGS when it seemed like the whole organisation was against him...to go through hell and fight out.

The country needs a lot more Maurice McCabes.

And his wife, who appears to have been a rock beside him....may they enjoy the rest of their lives and put this behind him.

Lorraine McCabe comes across as an incredibly strong woman, who succeeded in keeping the show on the road, when all must have appeared to have been collapsing around her. I felt so sad for her when she was recalling the occasion Maurice pointed out to her the tree on which he had wanted to hang himself. My God, what that family has had to endure. :(

Like Andy Dufresne, Maurice McCabe crawled through miles and miles of shít and came out the other side.

A true Irish hero and a rarity. Stood tall against the vilest of slander and corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

No Garda, no Tulsa employee, and no Journalist, look likely to be held to account for their part in this sad, sick ,perverted affair. This country has a long way to go to rid itself of corruption

Advertisement