Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Berserker wrote: »
    He's his own biggest enemy. Channel Four had presenters and guests who did not wear one last week on the broadcasts, no issue. Matic didn't wear one and on explaining why there was no issue. Waiting for him to stir up trouble on Thursday night when he warms the bench against NI.

May be so but have any of those lost family members during the troubles it has caused a lot of pain for many especially the actions of the British army which contibuted to a huge chunk of the issue in the 1st place its not something which can simply be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭droidman123

And speak of the devil.

Note his putting rememberence (sic) in inverted commas, painting everyone but themselves as loyalists, and claiming an ownership of history. And they say that Ireland doesn't have the same sort of populism as is infecting most of Europe?

Whats any of that got to do with the loyalists 9n here telling republicans to move on and forget the past while the same loyalists have rememberence sunday every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Whats any of that got to do with the loyalists 9n here telling republicans to move on and forget the past while the same loyalists have rememberence sunday every year?

While I appreciate you have come up with a point, and I know this was difficult for you, your liability to repeat yourself is still a trait you should try and curb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Your post about Irish rugby , hilarious , how dare New Zealanders or South African s play for us.
    How's the legal stuff going ?

And speak of the devil.

Note his putting rememberence (sic) in inverted commas, painting everyone but themselves as loyalists, and claiming an ownership of history. And they say that Ireland doesn't have the same sort of populism as is infecting most of Europe?

Comedy..

As for your ignorance, I can't help you I'm afraid.

Care to elaborate? And while you are at it,will you answer my earlier question.

• Advertisement

Your post about Irish rugby , hilarious , how dare New Zealanders or South African s play for us.
    How's the legal stuff going ?

South africans,new zealanders? Whats any of that got to do with a team that calls themselves ireland not playing our national anthem? Off topic i know but some of the loyalists on here seem to have a lot of time on their hands and are searching through my posts,bit i will gladly answer any questions,and btw,i stick by everything i said

South africans,new zealanders? Whats any of that got to do with a team that calls themselves ireland not playing our national anthem? Off topic i know but some of the loyalists on here seem to have a lot of time on their hands and are searching through my posts,bit i will gladly answer any questions,and btw,i stick by everything i said

Any news on the legal end of things ?

Any news on the legal end of things ?

Ok so your not going to answer my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,024 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I stopped taking your posts seriously when you said polish people were german when they were invaded,comedy hour is upon us

I gave up when according to those in here Ireland did not exist until 1921.

Ireland is spelt with a capital I.

Your first sentence is not a question , more a statement ended with a question mark.
    Your second question , well to answer it , I think it's a sign of how far we've come in that not playing the national anthem is not the end of the world.
    I think there is reason for it , something to do with loyalist/Orangemen playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Edward M wrote: »
    I'd drink to your health too.
    I have no animosity personally to the Queen, a symbolic role at best, though quite why any state would want a monarchy is beyond me.
    I wouldn't bow or curtsy to any person either.

No idea why you'd drink to mine, the queen or any stranger's health. Not something I've ever done.

Ireland is spelt with a capital I.

Your first sentence is not a question , more a statement ended with a question mark.
    Your second question , well to answer it , I think it's a sign of how far we've come in that not playing the national anthem is not the end of the world.
    I think there is reason for it , something to do with loyalist/Orangemen playing for Ireland.
    Oh yes,i forgot,we have "matured" as a nation.i know all about the reasons for not playing and its nonsense.if anybody doesnt want to play for ireland because they have the audicity to play the irish national anthem,they are free not to play.in reply to your question,i dont know about the legal situation,i have no affiliation with the legal profession

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

thats it for another year, wha?

Mayby next year it would be best to have two poppy threads,one for the loyalists and one for the republicans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

He's his own biggest enemy. Channel Four had presenters and guests who did not wear one last week on the broadcasts, no issue. Matic didn't wear one and on explaining why there was no issue. Waiting for him to stir up trouble on Thursday night when he warms the bench against NI.

he's not his own biggest enemy at all. he is not responsible in any way for the treatment he receives. absolutely nothing but victim blaming to suggest that he is responsible for the treatment he receives. only the (quite likely) anti-irish, jingoistic lowlives who abuse him are responsible.
    I'm reminded of a certain Cranberry song.

If this is representative of Sinn Fein voters in general it is concerning. We've had posters reveling in dead Irish men, feeling joy in their hearts at the rise of Fenianism, say that anyone who has a dissenting opinion is a member of the DUP or English. We've heard from the professional angry old man himself

The rage against the British Empire as if it still exists is all pervasive. The poppy, which doesn't even really exist outside of Commonwealth countries, is used as the excuse by the far-right who as usual live in the past, with romanticized visions of bloodshed, defined by their antipathy rather than sympathy.

Of course this living in the past isn't exclusive to the republicans. I think we had one or two pro-union (with UK) people here too. It's as if this thread genuinely were from 100 years ago.

the empire does effectively still exist all be it in a tiny form, in the form of the overseas territory that britain still holds.
    Aegir wrote: »
    anti poppy fascism is every bit as irritating as poppy fascism to be honest.

People like you who rant on and on about it (whilst defending a memorial to an IRA bomber) are just as bad as those that give James McLean abuse for not wearing one to be honest.

Everyone has the right to either wear one, or not wear one, don't you agree?

we are not bad at all. those who abuse james mclean on the other hand are most certainly bad.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Mayby next year it would be best to have two poppy threads,one for the loyalists and one for the republicans :)

That'd be just like "an Phoblacht" since peace broke out ...... useless.

That'd be just like "an Phoblacht" since peace broke out ...... useless.

Yeah your probably right,its no fun seeing the loyalists getting bitter and wound up over a poppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Mutant z wrote: »
    May be so but have any of those lost family members during the troubles it has caused a lot of pain for many especially the actions of the British army which contibuted to a huge chunk of the issue in the 1st place its not something which can simply be forgotten about.

Did James lose a family member during the troubles? Didn't realise he was alive back then.
    he's not his own biggest enemy at all. he is not responsible in any way for the treatment he receives. absolutely nothing but victim blaming to suggest that he is responsible for the treatment he receives. only the (quite likely) anti-irish, jingoistic lowlives who abuse him are responsible.

Didn't hear one anti-Irish remark in relation to him. Watched countless videos online.

Well if that doesn't sum up the monochrome view here..

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a loyalist droidman123. Loyalist.. interesting choice of word, and one that doesn't even apply to this country, a bit like the poppy itself.

So either living in the wrong century or wrong country droidman! Perhaps both.

Well you'd be spectacularly wrong either way. It originated about 55 million years ago (with a period of it not being an island during at least one ice age), or 1949, if you are talking about the sovereign state.

Do you really not know this, or are you pretending?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Did James lose a family member during the troubles? Didn't realise he was alive back then.

If he can't object to the poppy because he wasn't born when certain incidents happened, that really cuts the legs from under the argument for wearing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Odhinn wrote: »
    If he can't object to the poppy because he wasn't born when certain incidents happened, that really cuts the legs from under the argument for wearing it.

At the kneecaps perhaps?

the empire does effectively still exist all be it in a tiny form, in the form of the overseas territory that britain still holds.

It's good to see you finally contributing eotr! This doesn't really fit the criteria of empire though, does it? No more than it does with France.

If the criteria we use is whether the people who are being ruled by the government want to be ruled by the government (and have been given the democratic capacity to reject that rule), I think we can safely eliminate it being an empire. New Caledonia for instance, just the other day, was given the opportunity to gain independence from France, which was firmly rejected. Similarly, possessions like Gibraltar and the Falklands have rejected independence.

There'd be a stronger case to be made that Spain is an empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a loyalist droidman123. Loyalist.. interesting choice of word, and one that doesn't even apply to this country, a bit like the poppy itself.

Only a loyalist/unionist would buy and wear the British poppy and there are a few in this country north and south. The orange order as stated earlier with a photo of the occasion in this thread, laid their poppy wreath in Dublin in memory of British soldiers "murdered" in the 1916 Rising. The orange order is a subversive organisation who hate the Irish freedom fighters of 1916.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

klaaaz wrote: »
    Only a loyalist/unionist would buy and wear the British poppy and there are a few in this country north and south. The orange order as stated earlier with a photo of the occasion in this thread, laid their poppy wreath in Dublin in memory of British soldiers "murdered" in the 1916 Rising. The orange order is a subversive organisation who hate the Irish freedom fighters of 1916.

As usual, you are incorrect...I am neither a loyalist, nor a unionist...and there are many more like me, regardless of your infantile post

Yeah your probably right,its no fun seeing the loyalists getting bitter and wound up over a poppy

What loyalists would you be talking about ?

What loyalists would you be talking about ?

He literally said everyone who is not a republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I am a very friendly fella. Polite and gregarious. I was never accused of being 'rude' in my life.
    I have hosted many public events locally and have never used a deferential title for anybody nor have I had anyone complain. I did once have a brief spat with somebody when I wouldn't refer to a bishop as 'Your Excellency', not the bishop himself mind you, but a hat doffing parishioner.

It is not 'anathema to me' to use deferential titles, it is one of the perks of being born in a republic. Many in the UK wouldn't use them either.

Sorry, but you just don't understand politeness. Nothing I can do for you but wish you well for the future.

'Doctor' is what he is, and is not designed to be deferential.

Oh so you would defer then, interesting how self serving someone's opinion can be, when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He literally said everyone who is not a republican.

the false dichotomy is strong with some on this thread.

• Advertisement

Ireland as a state didn't, Ireland as an island within the geographical term of The British Isles did.

Advertisement