Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I was in a room at a dinner once at a university in the UK where someone decided pre-dinner to toast the queen. I declined, got a few leers, but they too got over it.

That was extraordinarily self-indulgent and rude. The Irish only have themselves to blame for the low opinion the British have of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Seriously. Why are you spouting such patently ignorant West Brit drivel, Mookie? Francie is 100% correct.

As I said, a judge can request to be addressed as mlud... whether you chose to do so or not is your choice, it's easy to follow ...even for yourself yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As I said, a judge can request to be addressed as mlud... whether you chose to do so or not is your choice, it's easy to follow ...even for yourself yeah?

Still unable to just admit you were wrong.

Here is what you said:
    When you're in court you always call the judge "My Lord'
    Try calling him buddy and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Still unable to just admit you were wrong.

Here is what you said:

Yes, and I said at his request...did I not say that?... you're not very good at this are you ... anyway...it's almost all over now, you can go back to saluting the tricolour and throw on the Wolfe tones greatest hits like a good man

Yes, and I said at his request...did I not say that?... you're not very good at this are you ... anyway...it's almost all over now, you can go back to saluting the tricolour and throw on the Wolfe tones greatest hits like a good man

:D:D And rather than just admit you were wrong you fire some invective.

Good one Mookie. Very revealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That was extraordinarily self-indulgent and rude. The Irish only have themselves to blame for the low opinion the British have of them.

You're a hilariously bad troll, the drivel you've been spouting has been very amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Its a blank card you get when you buy a wreath, should they ask people what the message will be before selling them? :rolleyes:

Er, I don't have any beef with people who sell wreaths. :confused::confused:

But people who put deliberately inflammatory messages on symbols at areas of historical significance and then claim that those who disagree with them are "writing people out of history" and being inimical to "reconciliation" and "dishonouring the memory of those who served" are beneath contempt, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

And the Englishwoman that I went to Wembley with for an England v Ireland footie match who made a huge point of sitting down when the Irish anthem was played? What opinion would you have of her?

Well, I am invited back every few years to the same event and am friends with some of those who leered.

People generally dislike people who fawn and hat doff, even though they might not say it.
    Personally I am only interested in people who know their own minds and who have principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I don't address anyone as 'My, Your or Others Majesty' and never will. I don't call priests 'Father' either.
    It's archaic, deferential and cringe inducing to think that anyone would insist on it.
    I was in a room at a dinner once at a university in the UK where someone decided pre-dinner to toast the queen. I declined, got a few leers, but they too got over it.

I think you're just lacking common courtesy, some would call it rudeness but I think it's more likely a case of upbringing, is being courteous really such an anathema for you?

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I think you're just lacking common courtesy, some would call it rudeness but I think it's more likely a case of upbringing, is being courteous really such an anathema for you?

I am a very friendly fella. Polite and gregarious. I was never accused of being 'rude' in my life.
    I have hosted many public events locally and have never used a deferential title for anybody nor have I had anyone complain. I did once have a brief spat with somebody when I wouldn't refer to a bishop as 'Your Excellency', not the bishop himself mind you, but a hat doffing parishioner.

It is not 'anathema to me' to use deferential titles, it is one of the perks of being born in a republic. Many in the UK wouldn't use them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I don't address anyone as 'My, Your or Others Majesty' and never will. I don't call priests 'Father' either.
    It's archaic, deferential and cringe inducing to think that anyone would insist on it.

100%

I was in a situation in work where we were in the presence of a priest and one of my colleagues kept calling the priest father. I asked him why he kept doing that and he responded with "its who they are we have to call them that" Nope not for me. I called the priest by his name and in no way was i being disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

alta stare wrote: »
    100%

I was in a situation in work where we were in the presence of a priest and one of my colleagues kept calling the priest father. I asked him why he kept doing that and he responded with "its who they are we have to call them that" Nope not for me. I called the priest by his name and in no way was i being disrespectful.

Maybe the priest was his father.
    It's not as if it hasn't happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't have any religion but I think I might still call a priest "father": not out of deference to him specifically, but out of respect for other people who do that. I haven't thought about the titles thing seriously, though, don't think it's all that controversial.

With the UK monarchy: as I understand it, you're supposed to address the Queen as "your highness" the first time, then after that it's "Ma'am". I seriously doubt that the Queen herself is hung up on the titles: they weren't her idea, they've been around for a lot longer than she has. It's about the office, not the person. We know that Charles has a strong egalitarian streak and isn't too keen on becoming King at all, but he doesn't have much of a choice short of abdication.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

bnt wrote: »
    I don't have any religion but I think I might still call a priest "father": not out of deference to him specifically, but out of respect for other people who do that. I haven't thought about the titles thing seriously, though, don't think it's all that controversial.

With the UK monarchy: as I understand it, you're supposed to address the Queen as "your highness" the first time, then after that it's "Ma'am". I seriously doubt that the Queen herself is hung up on the titles: they weren't her idea, they've been around for a lot longer than she has. It's about the office, not the person. We know that Charles has a strong egalitarian streak and isn't too keen on becoming King at all, but he doesn't have much of a choice short of abdication.

According to whom? To British monarchists.

It's complete rubbish and you do not have to follow it if you don't believe in it, not that I think I'll ever be in the company of monarchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

zapitastas wrote: »
    On this day 100 years ago, drunken British soldiers celebrating the Armistice broke into No.6 Harcourt St. Dublin and viciously assaulted Seamus O'Kelly, newspaper editor and Cultural Nationalist. He later died in hospital. Lest we forget

Seamus O'Kelly died from a heart attack following a raid on the head quarters of the newspaper he worked for. His brother, who was arrested during the 1916 shenanigans, ran the newspaper.

Really, how do you address a doctor or professor? If someone turns to you and says Dr. Ryan will be with you in a moment, what do you say when Dr. Ryan comes to speak with you?

Berserker wrote: »

Really, how do you address a doctor or professor? If someone turns to you and says Dr. Ryan will be with you in a moment, what do you say when Dr. Ryan comes to speak with you.

'Doctor' is what he is, and is not designed to be deferential.

Berserker wrote: »
    Seamus O'Kelly died from a heart attack following a raid on the head quarters of the newspaper he worked for. His brother, who was arrested during the 1916 shenanigans, ran the newspaper.

Really, how do you address a doctor or professor? If someone turns to you and says Dr. Ryan will be with you in a moment, what do you say when Dr. Ryan comes to speak with you?

"Doctor" or "Professor" are academic qualifications not terms of deference and inequality such as "Father" or "Your Majesty".

murpho999 wrote: »
    "Doctor" or "Professor" are academic qualifications not terms of deference and inequalitysuch as "Father" or "Your Majesty".

The correct term is Reverend Father , archaic and outdated , I'd be surprised if any priest nowadays would want to be called any other than his first in an informal setting .

Threads taken a turn into the surreal now .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The correct term is Reverend Father , archaic and outdated , I'd be surprised if any priest nowadays would want to be called any other than his first in an informal setting .

tends to happen when empire yearning cap doffers are involved

• Advertisement

They still refer to themselves as 'Father'. Reverend etc.
    And watch the tizzy monarchists get into over this stuff. Nothing surreal about it.

Anyone remember Keating, Australian Pm being called the 'Lizard of Oz' in the British press for daring to put his arm around the queen? :D:D
    They even keep count of it, I think it is 4 people have touched the queen 'inappropriately' during her reign...shock horror!
    Has a nation nothing better to be doing? :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/692302.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Why?
    For me it would depend on the wording of it.
    I'd drink a toast to the queen if it was to her health or something.
    If it was to the ruler of the UK or NI I'd decline alright, but as an individual I'd have no problem with it.
    As to the rest, each to his own.
    I call a priest father unless I know him personally, a vicar, reverend, a doctor, doctor, a professor, professor, etc etc.

They still refer to themselves as 'Father'. Reverend etc.
    And watch the tizzy monarchists get into over this stuff. Nothing surreal about it.

Anyone remember Keating, Australian Pm being called the 'Lizard of Oz' in the British press for daring to put his arm around the queen? :D:D
    They even keep count of it, I think it is 4 people have touched the queen 'inappropriately' during her reign...shock horror!
    Has a nation nothing better to be doing? :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/692302.stm

Looks you keep track of it too , ya almost seen to be an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

He agrees with special ethnic status for travellers too BTW, a lot depends on whom he thinks is special.

It is endlessly entertaining to see a nation that thinks it is 'modern' to get in a tizzy about this stuff. We could go on for hours about it.

Look at the spill over here among our own monarchists and fawners who cannot understand why somebody has a simple republican code of not deferring to anyone. We are equals or we aren't.
    The great British pretence/class system tripping over itself is entertaining to watch...forgive me for enjoying it.

It is endlessly entertaining to see a nation that thinks it is 'modern' to get in a tizzy about this stuff. We could go on for hours about it.

Look at the spill over here among our own monarchists and fawners who cannot understand why somebody has a simple republican code of not deferring to anyone. We are equals or we aren't.
    The great British pretence/class system tripping over itself is entertaining to watch...forgive me for enjoying it.

Each to thier own , Francie , you needn't apologise .

Edward M wrote: »
    He agrees with special ethnic status for travellers too BTW, a lot depends on whom he thinks is special.

Why not add what I think and have argued that status DOES not bestow there Edward before the cheap jibe and attempt at misrepresentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why not add what I think and have argued that status DOES not bestow there Edward before the cheap jibe and attempt at misrepresentation.

Aren't you also the person who refused to condemn the Kingsmill massacre when that SF MLA member made a joke out of it?

It wasn't you that posted almost 1,000 times in a thread about it, making a fool of yourself with your whataboutery.

Edward M wrote: »
    Why?
    For me it would depend on the wording of it.
    I'd drink a toast to the queen if it was to her health or something.
    If it was to the ruler of the UK or NI I'd decline alright, but as an individual I'd have no problem with it.
    As to the rest, each to his own.
    I call a priest father unless I know him personally, a vicar, reverend, a doctor, doctor, a professor, professor, etc etc.

Why would anybody let alone an Irish person want to do this?

Weird.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Aren't you also the person who refused to condemn the Kingsmill massacre

Another stunning lie from the man who has come back to not care about stuff. :rolleyes:

Advertisement