Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda January intake 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paddyCPW

It won't be definite until @Rparker17 confirms it haha he was correct on previous dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dayday888

For definite?

Confirmed by HRM earlier today... So annoying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NualaG93

Hey guys, I rang there and they said they’ve no date in April but it will be April. I thought my vetting was all completed as well as the super said she was signing off on it but apparently they do internal vetting and it’s outstanding? This is the first I’ve heard of it and I really wonder if whoever I was talking to in Dublin knew what she was talking about. I passed my PCT on decemeber 1st and she said they hadn’t received my results yet so perhaps that’s why my form hasn’t been signed off? Some reassurance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

NualaG93 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I rang there and they said they’ve no date in April but it will be April. I thought my vetting was all completed as well as the super said she was signing off on it but apparently they do internal vetting and it’s outstanding? This is the first I’ve heard of it and I really wonder if whoever I was talking to in Dublin knew what she was talking about. I passed my PCT on decemeber 1st and she said they hadn’t received my results yet so perhaps that’s why my form hasn’t been signed off? Some reassurance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, so the college sends back results after all PCT's are completed in the month. I think the last PCT was the 08/12/2018, so HRM should have them back this week.

After they get your PCT results they just wait for one last sign off of on your vetting (very quick check) then your taken in on the next date for the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NualaG93

Thank you so much that’s so helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

If there is no intake in January, they might make Aprils intake bigger so they could take in 300 or so trainees instead of 200, so it might not make a difference to the numbers for 2019 too much. It will be annoying for some of of the 2016/17 candidates with repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    If there is no intake in January, they might make Aprils intake bigger so they could take in 300 or so trainees instead of 200, so it might not make a difference to the numbers for 2019 too much. It will be annoying for some of of the 2016/17 candidates with repeats.

Did they give any reason as to why there would be no intake?

foam wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they took more than the usual amount as the college doesn't have lecture rooms big enough to take anymore.

200 people arnt being taught at the one time. The classes are split. They used to take in way more 200 back in the day.

Rparker17 wrote: »
    I just text the buddy, waiting on a reply

Any update from your friend?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

200 people arnt being taught at the one time. The classes are split. They used to take in way more 200 back in the day.

You still have to fit into the largest lecture theatre to be addressed as an intake and your first 2/3 weeks are spent in it. Even classroom space would become issue. 200-210ish is the max that will be taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Interesting to see such a large gap, from my observations they could be running a reserve class in Jan so might explain the HS class the guy runs.

Such a gap in dates would to me indicate that they are not getting the throughput on applications and to go ahead with the January class with low numbers might not be financially viable rather than waiting to get the numbers up.

Another piece of info to backup my theory on them not having the numbers is they are looking to raise the age limit for future recruitment drives.

On the plus side folks. Just as easily as them moving it to April they can just as easily move it back to Feb etc..

However if you want it set in stone. Ask a local TD to raise it as a question to the Minister. However, you might just see that answer in April they take so long!

Strider wrote: »
    You still have to fit into the largest lecture theatre to be addressed as an intake and your first 2/3 weeks are spent in it. Even classroom space would become issue. 200-210ish is the max that will be taken.

College has the capacity to hold 520 students. There will only be one intake of students on there by April. So it's very possible that they will take more than 200 trainees.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-11-06/418/?highlight%5B0%5D=garda&highlight%5B1%5D=garda

Tuesday, 6 November 2018

'I am advised by the Commissioner that approximately 170 applicants remain in the 2016 competition and 270 applicants remain in the 2017 competition'

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-10-23/318/?highlight%5B0%5D=garda

Tuesday, 23 October 2018

'I have been informed by the Garda Commissioner that there is currently no date for the commencement of a new recruitment campaign for Garda Trainees.'

(Interesting considering they plan to recruit 800 Garda next year but seemingly there is no campaign to get the application stream flowing!)

TallGlass wrote: »
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-11-06/418/?highlight%5B0%5D=garda&highlight%5B1%5D=garda

Tuesday, 6 November 2018

'I am advised by the Commissioner that approximately 170 applicants remain in the 2016 competition and 270 applicants remain in the 2017 competition'

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-10-23/318/?highlight%5B0%5D=garda

Tuesday, 23 October 2018

'I have been informed by the Garda Commissioner that there is currently no date for the commencement of a new recruitment campaign for Garda Trainees.'

(Interesting considering they plan to recruit 800 Garda next year but seemingly there is no campaign to get the application stream flowing!)

Pity he didn't give a reason for the delay.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Another piece of info to backup my theory on them not having the numbers is they are looking to raise the age limit for future recruitment drives.

Just to point out from the figures, I was actually wrong on this. There was an overall increase in applications to join in 2018 over 2017

2018 approximately 6,300 applications
    2017 approximately 5,400 applications

At the end of 2017 there was a net overall increase in Garda numbers by 600.

3,677 Garda members are women (random observation from one of the questions!)

Strider wrote: »
    I'm well aware of how many the college can hold;)

My point was 200 ish is the max they can fit in and address you as one group. There are logistical issues involved, all trainees arent housed on site, you're aware of that? The majority of each intake gets put out into digs to accomodate the next intake so they'd need 100 or so more host families. Bedrooms are held back for Gardai down on CPD courses, probationers down for their phase 3 days, visiting foreign police etc. Classroom, dining and parking space are all packed out.

There won't ever be more than 200-210 in an intake unless the college has an overhaul. There isnt even the staff to get around 100 more trainees.

Yes I'm well aware of living situation of the recruits. And like I said, it's a possibility.
    I'd have to disagree on the staffing issues to get around 100 trainees given that there is approx 200 per intake.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I was informed by a trainer in Templemore that January was pushed back, due to not having enough numbers.

They had a meeting yesterday morning and came to that conclusion, however there were PCT's in December, so if there is a high pass rate there is a chance it could happen in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

paddyCPW wrote: »
    I was informed by a trainer in Templemore that January was pushed back, due to not having enough numbers.

They had a meeting yesterday morning and came to that conclusion, however there were PCT's in December, so if there is a high pass rate there is a chance it could happen in February.
    Nice one fingers crossed so

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

I notice people on this or other threads have said they have failed an element of the PCT and have been invited to return and repeat it.
    Is this true?
    I passed mine first time round but as a year had passed I will have to repeat it again and just wondering if I have a safety net so to speak as I believe the turn around from the invite to when you do it is of short notice

I notice people on this or other threads have said they have failed an element of the PCT and have been invited to return and repeat it.
    Is this true?
    I passed mine first time round but as a year had passed I will have to repeat it again and just wondering if I have a safety net so to speak as I believe the turn around from the invite to when you do it is of short notice

You have three chances at the PCT, two re-sets and one appeal.

May I ask why it took a year between your PCT ? Is it due to vetting??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

paddyCPW wrote: »
    You have three chances at the PCT, two re-sets and one appeal.

May I ask why it took a year between your PCT ? Is it due to vetting??

Yes, due to vetting. Must also resit medical.
    In my circumstances so would this be considered one of my resits even though it's of no fault if my own?
    Thanks for the info

Yes, due to vetting. Must also resit medical.
    In my circumstances so would this be considered one of my resits even though it's of no fault if my own?
    Thanks for the info

That is a pain.

No, it won't count as number 2 as you passed the first PCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

ALD123 wrote: »
    I’m from the June 17 campaign and emailed to see when the offers were coming out and was told the PCT (which I passed on December 1st) was only one element of the application and I have outstanding vetting, does anyone know what this actually means? I assumed since I progressed that my vetting was fine. Have no family or anything abroad so I’m confused as to what has gone wrong to be honest.

Hey! Could I get the email addy off you? Was all your d.o.b and addresses etc correct for family members? Things like that could hold up vetting, mine is a nightmare because I’ve such a large family and it was really difficult to get correct dates of births etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ALD123

leheaven wrote: »
    Hey! Could I get the email addy off you? Was all your d.o.b and addresses etc correct for family members? Things like that could hold up vetting, mine is a nightmare because I’ve such a large family and it was really difficult to get correct dates of births etc

Yeah the email address for HRM is appointments @ garda.ie! Yeah I have a large family too but I had actually thought that my vetting was all completed, but apparently I was wrong! I rang them yesterday and they just kept saying the next intake is April, so I’m just going to have to accept that now.

ALD123 wrote: »
    Yeah the email address for HRM is appointments @ garda.ie! Yeah I have a large family too but I had actually thought that my vetting was all completed, but apparently I was wrong! I rang them yesterday and they just kept saying the next intake is April, so I’m just going to have to accept that now.

Thanks! Hopefully, it will be sorted soon. I hope mine won’t take too long lol. Sure look it’s December now, April won’t be long coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Only 3 intakes this year confirmed by the minister today.
    April to be the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vital Work

userunkown wrote: »

Hey, where did you read that? Wouldn't mind having a look at it to see if other months were confirmed. Thanks a million!

Vital Work wrote: »
    Hey, where did you read that? Wouldn't mind having a look at it to see if other months were confirmed. Thanks a million!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/garda-commissioner-drew-harris-cuts-13725316

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭ Jabari Shaggy Arrowhead

April definite so for next intake. Hopefully some of our vetting will be all done by then and we may get in...

• Advertisement

userunkown wrote: »

Do you think there will be more intakes after 2019?

Advertisement