Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 janedoe8

I think I'm going to do it today. I'm feeling quite nervous but whatever will be, will be.
    Wishing you goodluck mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭E18

It's practicing the verbal reasoning that's holding me back from doing it at the minute, My head just doesn't seem to get the true false cannot tell. for eg when a passage says they must do etc... and the question is something like they try their best to .. I want to click true, but its automatically false as have to and try to are not the same... i'm ok with the logic when i have time to read the passage through at my own pace but under time constraints I speed read and I miss all those little key words that make the difference... Feel like the more practice I do the less I want to do the Ist! The sjt still isn't 100% but I can work those better than verbal reasoning... 

Went to try it this morning and i've just said nope to myself again... maybe go for it in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Aimforstars

Thanks JaneDoe. My phone isn't displaying properly and has Chinese symbols instead of the regular so I can't quote.

The test was quick but actually harder than what I was expecting. I used my watch for timing. Hopefully I'm allowed to say this but my approach was actually different to what I was expecting myself to do; I was thinking that I would read the paragraphs then the questions but instead did it the other way around.

I was nervous which was strange because I don't regularly get nervous about things like that. I had a glass of water beside me and a quiet house but still was worried that I would have to go for a nervous pee.

The test said completed but I still wish we had the reassurance of an email confirmation.

E18 wrote: »
    It's practicing the verbal reasoning that's holding me back from doing it at the minute, My head just doesn't seem to get the true false cannot tell. for eg when a passage says they must do etc... and the question is something like they try their best to .. I want to click true, but its automatically false as have to and try to are not the same... i'm ok with the logic when i have time to read the passage through at my own pace but under time constraints I speed read and I miss all those little key words that make the difference... Feel like the more practice I do the less I want to do the Ist! The sjt still isn't 100% but I can work those better than verbal reasoning... 

Went to try it this morning and i've just said nope to myself again... maybe go for it in a few days.
    I feel exactly the same! All we can do is practice and try and see where we're going wrong. Still a while to go till the 20th!

I feel exactly the same! All we can do is practice and try and see where we're going wrong. Still a while to go till the 20th!
    Thanks JaneDoe. My phone isn't displaying properly and has Chinese symbols instead of the regular so I can't quote.

The test was quick but actually harder than what I was expecting. I used my watch for timing. Hopefully I'm allowed to say this but my approach was actually different to what I was expecting myself to do; I was thinking that I would read the paragraphs then the questions but instead did it the other way around.

I was nervous which was strange because I don't regularly get nervous about things like that. I had a glass of water beside me and a quiet house but still was worried that I would have to go for a nervous pee.

The test said completed but I still wish we had the reassurance of an email confirmation.
    I think I might give that a go and see if your approach helps. I'm sure you've done better than you think

• Advertisement

That's true! It's just the feeling of getting it out of the way, but I'd say at this rate i'm going it will prob be closer when the assessment closes.

In practice questions I have been doing it both ways, when I read the questions first and skim read for the answer it is def quicker but often I miss a sentence further down that tries to trick you or makes it then be a different answer if that makes sense, where as I pick up more info reading the whole thing and then looking at questions but this slows me down... the joys lol

What are we like! Roll on Next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Decided to complete the IST today, now for the dreaded wait. Honestly it’s difficult to say how I’ve done, I know I got at least one wrong on the VRT as I seen the answer for it on the following question, also as another boardie said it’s hard as you can justify more than one answer on the SJT but it’s out of my hands now. Good luck to those still to do it!

BlueCop8790;108565730Decided to complete the IST today, now for the dreaded wait. Honestly it’s difficult to say how I’ve done, I know I got at least one wrong on the VRT as I seen the answer for it on the following question, also as another boardie said it’s hard as you can justify more than one answer on the SJT but it’s out of my hands now. Good luck to those still to do it!
    Good Luck! you sat last campaigns too, didn't you? Was it pretty much the same style of IST?

Thank you ! Yeah, I managed to get through the IST last year. I found it to be excatly the same format as last year.

Decided to complete the IST today, now for the dreaded wait. Honestly it’s difficult to say how I’ve done, I know I got at least one wrong on the VRT as I seen the answer for it on the following question, also as another boardie said it’s hard as you can justify more than one answer on the SJT but it’s out of my hands now. Good luck to those still to do it!
    It is a long wait but at least you have the IST done so you know you tried your best and there's nothing left to do until December.
    That's true! It's just the feeling of getting it out of the way, but I'd say at this rate i'm going it will prob be closer when the assessment closes.

In practice questions I have been doing it both ways, when I read the questions first and skim read for the answer it is def quicker but often I miss a sentence further down that tries to trick you or makes it then be a different answer if that makes sense, where as I pick up more info reading the whole thing and then looking at questions but this slows me down... the joys lol

You'll probably feel better just getting it over with. It takes it off your mind and instead you get to focus on the wait :'( but knowing that you tried.

• Advertisement

It is a long wait but at least you have the IST done so you know you tried your best and there's nothing left to do until December.

You'll probably feel better just getting it over with. It takes it off your mind and instead you get to focus on the wait :'( but knowing that you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Was the IST smoother this time round ? No lagging or freezing moving from one question to another ?

Felt pretty smooth and didn’t experience any problems or lag during my test anyway, cant speak for everyone though obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭canuck_copper

Well that’s the IST done for me. Hard one to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

I just completed the IST . However, on the first section.. my laptop died and it took me a while to up & run it again.. when I logged back on. Apparently I was out of time.. I only answer like 5 questions !! the other two sections I smashed!! I was happy enough.. do you think I've a chance of passing

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ze0tech

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    I just completed the IST . However, on the first section.. my laptop died and it took me a while to up & run it again.. when I logged back on. Apparently I was out of time.. I only answer like 5 questions !! the other two sections I smashed!! I was happy enough.. do you think I've a chance of passing

From memory there is a lot more than 5 questions. There are 2 sections. Situational judgment and verbal reasoning. It doesn't look good

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Ze0tech wrote: »
    From memory there is a lot more than 5 questions. There are 2 sections. Situational judgment and verbal reasoning. It doesn't look good

I've e-mailed to asked to resist it. Hopefully they agree.. if not, looks like I'm out of the campaign

I've e-mailed to asked to resist it. Hopefully they agree.. if not, looks like I'm out of the campaign

Hope all gets sorted mate, the only issue is, I think they’d only let you resit the test if it was a fault of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/uploads/1536221012-initial-selection-test-briefing.pdf

6. Dealing with loss of internet while completing your Initial Selection Test
    If you lose internet connection or are disconnected from the test platform for any reason,
    do not worry, the system will handle such instances so that your progress to date is
    captured. You must contact the Deloitte Recruitment Team via email to info@joinpsni.co.uk
    to make us aware of any issue as soon as possible. Deloitte will liaise with Sova
    Assessments to ensure that you can fully complete your IST.

This should apply to you as the laptop dying will disconnect you from the test platform, hope you get it sorted mate.

Well that is me for sure out of this years campaign.
    I just know myself I haven't got enough correct to pass, as negative as this sounds i'm just being realistic.
    Always next year, good luck to everyone still to complete it and I hope you all do very well.

I just know myself I haven't got enough correct to pass, as negative as this sounds i'm just being realistic.
    Always next year, good luck to everyone still to complete it and I hope you all do very well.

You don't know that. You may have done better than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Tom_90

IST is very hard to judge how you have done. I felt the same way as you last year but I passed by a good margin. Stay positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PCME

I have the exact same feeling E18, you're not alone. I ran out of time towards the end of the first section and have no idea how many Q's were left. All week I've had doubts but I keep telling myself I may have got enough right to just cover a pass. Don't give up hope, we may be surprised!

Tom_90 wrote: »
    IST is very hard to judge how you have done. I felt the same way as you last year but I passed by a good margin. Stay positive!

Thanks Tom!
    Aw I can only hope.. I'm a very optimistic, positive person the best of times but I have very little faith in my performance this afternoon, honestly, even afterwards I was thinking I should have selected something else or read the passage again. What will be will be though. But guts telling me I'm out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Tom_90

Thanks Tom!
    Aw I can only hope.. I'm a very optimistic, positive person the best of times but I have very little faith in my performance this afternoon, honestly, even afterwards I was thinking I should have selected something else or read the passage again. What will be will be though. But guts telling me I'm out!

That's normal though, sometimes when you think you've made a total mess of something it's the total opposite! Best of luck though.

PCME wrote: »
    I have the exact same feeling E18, you're not alone. I ran out of time towards the end of the first section and have no idea how many Q's were left. All week I've had doubts but I keep telling myself I may have got enough right to just cover a pass. Don't give up hope, we may be surprised!

Thanks PCME..
    I didn't do too well in practice verbal reasoning tests so I'm holding put little hope. Really hope you pass though, fingers crossed.

Tom_90 wrote: »
    That's normal though, sometimes when you think you've made a total mess of something it's the total opposite! Best of luck though.

Really appreciate it Tom, Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cob16

Hi folks. I just took this year's ist online and ran out of time( silly I know). I think I had 3 questions left. Will I automatically fail or is there a chance I could still pass if the rest was good enough. Anyone know? Thanks

Cob16 wrote: »
    Hi folks. I just took this year's ist online and ran out of time( silly I know). I think I had 3 questions left. Will I automatically fail or is there a chance I could still pass if the rest was good enough. Anyone know? Thanks

No you won’t fail automatically, there will be a set pass mark for everyone to pass, the 3 questions you missed will be just marked as incorrect. Good luck mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cob16

No you won’t fail automatically, there will be a set pass mark for everyone to pass, the 3 questions you missed will be just marked as incorrect. Good luck mate!

Thankyou and same to yourself 😀

• Advertisement

Cob16 wrote: »

Don't fret immediately. It's all positive marking so only what you get right will count so if you reach the set pass mark within the questions that you have answered then you'll be fine.

Advertisement