Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

This guy gets it...

130319-criticism-judgement-and-taking-offence.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah, come on. It was a mild pun using a hashtag. It doesn't deserve any of the hysteria and if people think it's contributing to transphobia, they need to get their heads examined.

To be fair, I'd say the timing of it all absolutely didn't help. It's a massive topic in the US at the moment and any good PR person would know to avoid it.

People looking for to be offended by anything

It's pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This guy gets it...

130319-criticism-judgement-and-taking-offence.jpg

Except Stephen Fry is just as capable of being offended as everyone else. Check out his outraged reaction to Jan Moir's absolutely loathsome article about Stephen Gately. It's a nonsense quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Except Stephen Fry is just as capable of being offended as everyone else. Check out his outraged reaction to Jan Moir's absolutely loathsome article about Stephen Gately. It's a nonsense quote.
    Precisely. In Fry's case his point wasn't that debate on a particular topic shouldn't be had, quite the contrary in fact given the quote is taken from a conversation with Christopher Hitchens, it's that "I'm offended, etc..." isn't an argument in and of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd say the timing of it all absolutely didn't help. It's a massive topic in the US at the moment and any good PR person would know to avoid it.

Exactly, this isn’t just some minor ‘trans thing’ on Twitter but the threat of a pretty major act of administrative cruelty: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

If you’re going to take advantage of people’s genuine fears about their existing legal status for a glib tweet promoting your bloody video game store, you’re going to get some blowback (not helped by CDPR landing themselves in it a few times recently). For all the hyperbolic outrage you see on social media over things like this, you kind of invite pushback with tone-deaf / actively trolling tweets.

Which isn’t to say I approve of doxxing or the angry demands for a scalp that have become an insidious part of the US culture wars, mind you. ‘Twas a notably dumb tweet, although not exactly a fireable offence on its own (unless the employee went rogue for whatever reason).

In conclusion: social media remains a toxic hellhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only social media I can stand these days is boards.ie, and to a lesser extent sports subreddits.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The only social media I can stand these days is boards.ie, and to a lesser extent sports subreddits.

It used to be called Web 2.0. Predates social media.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Kinda disappointing to see such a staggering lack of empathy for a legitimately marginalised chunk of humans who, in the US, are currently facing a very genuine erasure of their legal rights. It's not a minor issue. At all. It might be a minor issue to the people in CDPR, in a country like Poland that has a LONG way to go in terms of breaking ties from the ultra-conservative power base that is Catholicism. They're very much like we were 40 years ago - remember when we had laws against being gay and we used to lock women away for having the audacity to be pregnant because they were raped? They're also going backwards by making moves to restrict abortion. But that's got nothing to do with gaming...

So I think we're all agreed that any form of doxxing is wrong and a shameful act, yes? Fk whoever did that.

It's more worrying to me that CDPR's social media team don't seem to understand that they are a part of a global market and that their social media should reflect that. They have gotten this badly wrong on at least 3 occasions this year and don't seem to be learning their lesson. A hashtag for socio-political activism is no place for anyone to try to sell their products anyway, that's really shoddy behaviour from any company and I'm sure if it had been EA or Activision there'd be a lot more so called "gamers" being outraged, but CDPR are the current darlings of the games dev world and therefore can do no wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I see all this and have my strong opinion on it, but I won't say anything, because it might offend some snowflake and my life will be ruined. To make it better I wont be able to get offended by the action social justice warriors will use, because I was stupid enough to voice my opinion first.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's more worrying to me that CDPR's social media team don't seem to understand that they are a part of a global market and that their social media should reflect that. They have gotten this badly wrong on at least 3 occasions this year and don't seem to be learning their lesson. A hashtag for socio-political activism is no place for anyone to try to sell their products anyway, that's really shoddy behaviour from any company and I'm sure if it had been EA or Activision there'd be a lot more so called "gamers" being outraged, but CDPR are the current darlings of the games dev world and therefore can do no wrong :rolleyes:

You say "global market" but really, it's morality as seen through a black-and-white American lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I knew GDPR was a bad idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You say "global market" but really, it's morality as seen through a black-and-white American lens.

Seen through a fairly extreme lens that's mostly limited to a specific demograph.

Which is probably why the likes of CDPR are starting to realise that they can ignore outrage mongers, the jig is up. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If someone's "strong opinions" are racist and/or bigotted then they shouldn't be surprised when people treat them like a racist bigot. It takes a particularly cowardly act to suggest that you're not airing bigotry is because you don't want to deal with "snowflakes" though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bambi wrote: »
    Seen through a fairly extreme lens that's mostly limited to a specific demograph.

Which is probably why the likes of CDPR are starting to realise that they can ignore outrage mongers, the jig is up. :o

Not just them, lot of Japanese devs.

Finding out it's only a limited number of whiners, that weren't their customers and never would be in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

All they are are attention seekers looking to play the victim at any opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Shiminay wrote: »
    If someone's "strong opinions" are racist and/or bigotted then they shouldn't be surprised when people treat them like a racist bigot.

Just disagreeing with these people is enough to earn yourself those labels, which they use as an excuse to go after practically anyone.

In news:

SONY's Japanese products now under western censor... in Japan.
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/10/27/new-sony-censorship-policy-is-forcing-even-japanese-developers-to-censor-themselves-in-japan/

Just another reason to move to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

MediEvil trailer released.

I for one am insanely excited for this as I adored the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Just another reason to move to PC.

Gotta say looking at that story I hope for their own sake not a lot of people play sexual themed anime visual novels.
    Especially from Japan given some of the uncomfortable young characters designs.
    I imagine playing them puts ones name on a register somewhere :pac:
    Sonics2k wrote:

I never played the original just something about the art style seemed so unappealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sonics2k wrote: »
    MediEvil trailer released.

I was hoping this was gonna make it into the line up for the PS classic and was surprised it didnt make it in, along with other titles i suspected the reasoning was because they have remakes on the way or had ones recently. This confirms this one anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sunset Overdrive rated for PC. Hopefully it's accurate, as SO is still one of the best games on Xbox, and is very underrated/underappreciated for some reason.

As the article says, we'll probably find out more at next weeks Xbox show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

CatInABox wrote: »
    Sunset Overdrive rated for PC. Hopefully it's accurate, as SO is still one of the best games on Xbox, and is very underrated/underappreciated for some reason.

Sweet. Always wanted to play that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CatInABox wrote: »

Nice...one of 2 Xbone games I actually want. Pity Rare Replay has no chance of arriving on PC (so much licensing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,880 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, Sunset Overdrive and Rare Replay for me as well. Also the Master Chief Collection, having never played Halo before.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Gotta say looking at that story I hope for their own sake not a lot of people play sexual themed anime visual novels.
    Especially from Japan given some of the uncomfortable young characters designs.
    I imagine playing them puts ones name on a register somewhere :pac:
    Saying anime characters look "too young" is like saying "all anime characters are white" - it ignores that there is a difference in art style to downplay a whole genre; as well as dismissing the idea that women can have different sizes/shapes.

Also why would that put you on a register? :confused: All characters are fictional & voiced by adults.

Saying anime characters look "too young" is like saying "all anime characters are white" - it ignores that there is a difference in art style to downplay a whole genre; as well as dismissing the idea that women can have different sizes/shapes.

Also why would that put you on a register? :confused: All characters are fictional & voiced by adults.
    Wasn't the problem with Senran Kagura and Omega Labyrinth Z specifically, that the characters are explicitly said to be in high school...even if it's a high school for ninjas in the former case?

What makes the situation a bit stranger I guess is that Senran Kagura was rated by the various ratings agencies (PEGI 16 and ESRB M) whereas Omega Labyrinth Z specifically wasn't rated by PEGI which may have precipitated Sony's own move to block its release?

gizmo wrote: »
    Wasn't the problem with Senran Kagura and Omega Labyrinth Z specifically, that the characters are explicitly said to be in high school...even if it's a high school for ninjas in the former case?

And Japan has a lower age-of-consent than we or the Yanks do.

Hell, people tend to forget that the age of consent in UK is 16, Ireland is 17.

• Advertisement

And Japan has a lower age-of-consent than we or the Yanks do.

Hell, people tend to forget that the age of consent in UK is 16, Ireland is 17.
    Aye but weren't both games released uncensored in Japan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement