Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Flashback wouldn't have cost 40 quid when it originally came out on Amiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GamesMaster and Games TM and both being shut down. Really crap news for differing reasons.

Games TM is still the best videogame magazine on the market to my mind, taking a serious but not too-stuff or overly intellectual approach to games (hello Edge). I picked it up more often than not and will really miss it.

GamesMaster was something I think most people grew out of as it's aimed at kids but I still vividly remember pouring over their review of Ranger-X on the Megadrive and that being the thing that pushed me over the edge to get a Megadrive.

GamesMaster felt like everyone's first magazine.
    Once you get the Internet magazines feel out of date going to print never mind on shelves.
    For me before E3 streams, game countdown reveals and youtube reviews buying a mag felt so exciting if (like me) you knew nothing about what happened at E3 or how good the videogames coming at Christmas actually were.
    Now they are only as strong as their opinion pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Flashback wouldn't have cost 40 quid when it originally came out on Amiga.
    It was £29.99 in the UK when it first came out in 1992. Adjusting for inflation that works out at around £59 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know why, but I was sure GamesMaster stopped publishing a while ago as there was a lot of articles about it and its history with the tv show, then I started seeing it in shops again. Maybe got a new publisher.
    May pick up these final issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Reminds me of the anguish I felt when Gamezville left us.

Gamesville.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac1Man wrote: »

Gamesville.jpg

I give this post 4 Gs

Some show. I still rate things in G's mentally

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I give this post 4 Gs

I demand more!

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Gamesville.jpg

Oh Jesus God No

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I demand more!

hqdefault.jpg

Pfft. Has nothing on Nam

nam-rood-desert-strike-cheat-amiga.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I didnt stop buying maagazines because of the internet, I stopped buying them because they became terrible. They didnt want to be game magazines anymore, I remember when the official dreamcast magazine came out, it had fashion, food and celebrity gossip sections. Was depressing going from SSM which I absolutely loved, which scoured out info of the most obscure japanese games, to that kind of nonsense, PS2 and onward only made things worse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I didnt stop buying maagazines because of the internet, I stopped buying them because they became terrible. They didnt want to be game magazines anymore, I remember when the official dreamcast magazine came out, it had fashion, food and celebrity gossip sections. Was depressing going from SSM which I absolutely loved, which scoured out info of the most obscure japanese games, to that kind of nonsense, PS2 and onward only made things worse

I read the playstation one and honestly if i had to buy it myself i wouldnt. Its mostly something to read on the kindle when im bored of youtube videos of games i dont want :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Sad that Gamesmaster is going out, I liked that one. Although it didn't hit me as hard as when Nintendo Gamer (formerly NGamer) was discontinued a few years ago. I forgot to buy 4 issues and then they went out of print, and I didn't know until a year ago. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Games TM was still a decent enough magazine, sad to see it go. Hadn't read Gamesmaster in a while but picked it up the odd time. It'll be sad that it's no longer an option now. The internet is fine and all, and getting whatever information you want instantly etc but I find myself almost too expectant and therefore bored quicker because of the 'instant' nature of it. That's something I never had with magazines. The information was just contained in what you bought and that had/has a sort of soothing, reliable effect in this mega media absorption world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

PCGamer in the good old days of HL2, C&C and that era of games before widespread internet access (in rural Galway anyway) was the highlight of my month when I was in school, it was literally like Christmas every single time I saw a new one on the shelf, especially when it came in a foil bag and you knew something major was being reviewed. The 2 cds on the cover used to be absolutely rammed with stuff aswell.

Nowadays they just annoy me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

According to the Microsoft earnings call, Microsoft are looking at bringing Game Pass to PC. That'll be interesting if they get third parties to sign up to it properly. EA Origin Access is similar, but I don't know how that is doing.

See here.

I thought that Game Pass started out as a good catch up service for those wanting to get into/get back into games, but since then it's improved massively. Adding first party games on release has turned it into an essential service in my opinion.

The only downside to this is that it'll be dependent on the Windows Store. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I wouldn't class it as "good" yet. The good news surrounding it though, is that Terry Myerson, former head of windows, was pushed out, and he was the main driver behind the direction the Windows Store took, including the fact that they didn't want any help from the Xbox team, which had already built Microsofts only successful app store. Microsoft, once again, shoots themselves in the foot thanks to in house empire building.

I wonder if this will just be a push to get more companies using Play Anywhere, or if it'll mean adding PC only titles. Of course, with Keyboard + Mouse support being added next month, maybe they'll push for games that would have been PC only to come to Xbox as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »
    According to the Microsoft earnings call, Microsoft are looking at bringing Game Pass to PC. That'll be interesting if they get third parties to sign up to it properly. EA Origin Access is similar, but I don't know how that is doing.

See here.

I thought that Game Pass started out as a good catch up service for those wanting to get into/get back into games, but since then it's improved massively. Adding first party games on release has turned it into an essential service in my opinion.

The only downside to this is that it'll be dependent on the Windows Store. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I wouldn't class it as "good" yet. The good news surrounding it though, is that Terry Myerson, former head of windows, was pushed out, and he was the main driver behind the direction the Windows Store took, including the fact that they didn't want any help from the Xbox team, which had already built Microsofts only successful app store. Microsoft, once again, shoots themselves in the foot thanks to in house empire building.

Xbox is up 44%. My guess is Game Pass plays a big part in this hence the Microsoft CEO announcing plans to do Game Pass on PC.

I'm not as excited about this as I did be. The Windows store is awful. There's currently about 10 or so games you can play on PC via Game Pass.

I tried downloading Gears 4 and after about 50GB, an error message came up and reset the download. Same story with the Horizon 4 demo. I could never download it.

Xbox is up 44%. My guess is Game Pass plays a big part in this hence the Microsoft CEO announcing plans to do Game Pass on PC.

Well... not quite. From the transcript:
    Gaming revenue increased 44% and 45% in constant currency with better than expected results across both software and services and hardware.

Xbox software and services revenue grew 36%, with continued strength from a third-party title. Xbox hardware revenue grew 94% and 96% in constant currency with earlier than expected sell-in of holiday hardware bundles.

Still damn impressive considering how badly they've done this generation.

Really impressed with the 94% hardware sales, no doubt due to the X. Really shows that people were hungry for a better version of the Xbox One (myself included).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Game pass type of services are handy for parents who need a cycle of new and trending games for their kids but for me it's just not appealing. It's W10 exclusive right? That pretty much guarantees I'd never sign up for it anyway.

In news, a GOG employee was doxed by resetera and friends... then fired. Reason: used a hashtag wrongly. Users are saying they'll boycott gog for this mistake and a company is even cutting business ties. The gog forums show users disagreeing with this decision and attitude.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/gog-lgbtq-twitter-wontbeerased-hashtag/
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/10/resetera-doxes-gog-com-employee-for-not-being-an-npc/70979/
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-23-zombie-orpheus-cancels-contract-with-gog-over-transphobia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

In news, a GOG employee was doxed by resetera and friends... then fired. Reason: used a hashtag wrongly. Users are saying they'll boycott gog for this mistake and a company is even cutting business ties. The gog forums show users disagreeing with this decision and attitude.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/gog-lgbtq-twitter-wontbeerased-hashtag/
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/10/resetera-doxes-gog-com-employee-for-not-being-an-npc/70979/
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-23-zombie-orpheus-cancels-contract-with-gog-over-transphobia

Bloody hell. That's absolutely ridiculous.

For those wondering, they Tweeted the following:

“Classic PC Games #WontBeErased on our watch. Yeah, how’s that for some use of hashtags.”

That hashtag is this week's buzzword that Americans are using to go protest against something to do with trans-whatever. They determined GOG's use of it was anti-something.

I'm so grateful to live on this little island away from all of that sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CatInABox wrote: »

See here.

I wonder if this will just be a push to get more companies using Play Anywhere, or if it'll mean adding PC only titles. Of course, with Keyboard + Mouse support being added next month, maybe they'll push for games that would have been PC only to come to Xbox as well.

I am not surprised. I already said months ago, that its going to be great service. When they announced that first party games will go on it day one, they just sealed the deal.
    Even if I knew its great service, I still did not go for it, because I was busy with other games. When Horizon 4 came out I got myself 6 months pass for 40ish quid. Less then month in and I have 60h+ in Forza, 40h+ State of Decoy 2 ( a game I would never buy, but after trying it, I am in love with franchise!!! ), tryed out Sea of thieves and loved it too. Tried Wasteland 2 and its unplayable on xbox. So it saved me 40 quid there too.

Netflix was not great when started out and look at it now. Game pass is on its way to be Gaming Netflix and I love it. Very happy that MS got back on its feet a bit. In a way we would not have all this, if they would not be droped down in the first place. This console war always great for consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

For those wondering, they Tweeted the following:

“Classic PC Games #WontBeErased on our watch. Yeah, how’s that for some use of hashtags.”

That hashtag is this week's buzzword that Americans are using to go protest against something to do with trans-whatever. They determined GOG's use of it was anti-something.

I'm so grateful to live on this little island away from all of that sh1te.

This island doesnt have an indigenous games industry so you're playing games that are made by companies who are constantly being harangued by these lunatics. CDPR are on of the few studios that never kowtowed to them so obviously they're a target now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Bambi wrote: »
    This island doesnt have an indigenous games industry so you're playing games that are made by companies who are constantly being harangued by these lunatics. CDPR are on of the few studios that never kowtowed to them so obviously they're a target now

Didn't they apologise a few weeks ago about a tweet that upset those people?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everyone apologies to everyone for offending anyone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

J. Marston wrote: »
    Didn't they apologise a few weeks ago about a tweet that upset those people?
    Yep, big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While obviously I don't agree with the lunatics who went nuts with doxing and the complete over the top things, it still was pretty ****ty of CDPR to engage with stuff like that. The new things these days is to have anything offensive, mildly or not, to be something that is 'oh its just another thing to be offended by these days' etc, when in reality there are things offensive and at their core, just not really called for. For more and more things this 'everyone is offended nowadays' schtick is just an excuse to allow a handy door into some vile stuff. CDPR's wasn't at the higher end of that scale but it just showed a lack of care for a certain group of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ah, come on. It was a mild pun using a hashtag. It doesn't deserve any of the hysteria and if people think it's contributing to transphobia, they need to get their heads examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What's really annoying about using the internet now is one group of people get annoyed about something minor, then another group gets annoyed at them for being annoyed then arguing occurs which resolves absolutely nothing & devolves into labelling people left wing, right wing, cucks, snowflakes or just about any 'ist' under the sun.
    It's best to not really give a sh*t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement