Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Skyblue didn't mean it like that and I think you know that too. Of course you were welcome on the thread. You brought the experience of having run a marathon to the thread and we all benefited by that.

Thanks L. What I meant was that primarily the thread is designed for first time marathon runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks L. What I meant was that primarily the thread is designed for first time marathon runners.

We all know what you meant S!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Worst of all, I feel like I've let my mentors down. That thought gnaws at my brain for the rest of the race.

If it's any consolation to you, I had this very same thought towards the end.

By the way, what an amazing race report, I was able to identify with so much of it. Had me in tears too.
    What you have achieved is truly awesome, you're a superstar!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I am absolutely thrilled to bits for you. To me this is what the Novices thread is about. I haven't been a fan of the "it's my third marathon but I still consider myself a novice" novices. This thread should always be for people who are unaware of the enormous nature of the task they are taking on. You shouldn't be worried about your time...you ran a marathon, end of! I also looked at your finisher pics and you must be the happiest and smiliest finisher of the day!!:pac:

I did not realise this was the case. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Steve wrote: »
    Longest race I've ever done is 900 nautical miles on a boat.. 5 times, never won it , came close once. Doing the race is the win, the achievement, be proud of it!
    Yeah I'm happy it's over and glad I done it. Not proud of that. Could have walked it and done it. Could have ran slower and done it. Had targets, missed them all. Can't be proud of that.
    I get your point about the goal being the goal but missing out by 0.0021% should never be considered failure by any of us hobby runners. If we keep running we'll smash those goals in the future anyway and we'll look back and wonder what all the fuss and panic was about
    I see it as failure. How can it be a success if what you aimed to do wasn't done. That's the "that'll do attitude" that drives me mental.
    You should take some pride in running a 4.00.31 marathon, its a time beyond a hell of a lot of people and nothing to be sniffed at. But if you really are disappointed with the time then come back and try it again, because I got to tell you, as a 2nd time runner that hit all of my targets, that second DCM was a joy from start to finish and worth every step of that training.
    That's the problem. I'd no intention of ever doing it again. Now I might have to and that is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

coogy wrote: »
    If it's any consolation to you, I had this very same thought towards the end.

By the way, what an amazing race report, I was able to identify with so much of it. Had me in tears too.
    What you have achieved is truly awesome, you're a superstar!

Thanks K. When I read your race report it reminded me at times, of the many emotions I felt on the day too. You had poured your heart and soul into your training too.

Ah we're all hero's! We crossed that finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I did not realise this was the case. Apologies.

Don't take it to heart, he didn't mean offense or that anyone who did it before wasn't welcome on the thread. He's been one of the most generous people with his posts and advice. What he meant is that people like Applegirl and all other first timers are the very reason for this threads existence and the very reason the mentors give so much of their time. It's fine for you and myself to take part but we aren't in the same boat as the true novices, we aren't the reason it exists, no matter how much we feel like novices or how much we still need to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Don't take it to heart, he didn't mean offense or that anyone who did it before wasn't welcome on the thread. He's been one of the most generous people with his posts and advice. What he meant is that people like Applegirl and all other first timers are the very reason for this threads existence and the very reason the mentors give so much of their time. It's fine for you and myself to take part but we aren't in the same boat as the true novices, we aren't the reason it exists, no matter how much we feel like novices or how much we still need to learn.

Well said M! Exactly right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    So here it goes, my race report...
    Loved your report A! Sorry to read about your struggles towards the end but you finished it in style.
    If you told me at the start line that I'd finish in 4:13 I would have been gutted. But at the finish line, I truly didn't care about the time. As I limped over to get my medal I burst into tears, and balled my eyes out as the guy put it around my neck. I've no idea why, as I wouldn't be a very emotional person.
    Love this. That's what the marathon does!! I was almost in tears at halfway, for no reason at all :rolleyes: :pac:

Lovely to meet you in McGrattan's after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Okay, deep breath, here's my DCM Race Report…
    Applegirl that is an epic report!! So emotional and so impressive. You should be brimming with pride!

The image of your boys running along beside you and telling everyone that you're their mum is one of the loveliest things I've heard in a long time.

You did amazingly, both all through the training and to stick with the race like that when you weren't feeling good. Massive well done to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That's the problem. I'd no intention of ever doing it again. Now I might have to and that is annoying.

I do understand what you are going though roosterman71, one of the reasons i ended up not running it honestly was fear 1) i'd wreck my calf completely and 2) that even if that didn't happen that i'd end up with a time though running too cautiously, that did not reflect in my mind the work and lets face it, suffering, that I'd put myself though on the way to the race. Kind of like I was betraying myself if that makes sense?

The way I'm looking at it is now I have a fantastic fitness base than can only be built on from here to DCM2019 (already entered) and now I'm going to smash that target to smithereens as a result, maybe thats how you should look at it?, you already seem to have commited to DCM2019, might as well embrace it. Oh and wear your DCM2018 shirt when training to keep the focus, you've earned the right.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

For those who are disappointed with their performance it was my husbands 3rd marathon and it was the only marathon time he was happy with.
    Different people have different goals and targets and reaching them after a couple of failed attempts makes victory that much sweeter.

ps I wont be doing any in-depth race report.

This is my summary:
    I had a ball. Each mile flew by.
    That live band gave me goose bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Applegirl26

What a report, i felt every bit of it while reading.
    Thank you so much for your little pin in Georgias memory!! She was with me all the way and knowing people had their little symbols on her for really helped me.
    Fair play on your race, you are amazing!! You did it, you completed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭chabsey

‘Quick’ race report on my marathon experiences this year. Firstly, a bit of background, I’d previously run the 2015 DCM after starting the couch to 5K process a good few months before and gradually increasing the distances from there. At the end of it I was convinced I had a faster time in me. I ran 2015 more from a ‘can I do it’ point of view rather than a ‘how fast can I do it’, on the morning of that marathon I picked the 3:40 pacers and decided to see if I could stick with them. That worked well but since that day I pretty much stopped any kind of organised training, dropping to a couple of 5K runs a week.

Fast forward three years and this time around I decided to get more serious, follow a plan and decide on a time to achieve in advance rather than picking one on the day. To me 3:15 seemed do-able given how I felt at the finish line previously and so I started the 18-week plan with that time in mind.

Pretty much right away my body rebelled at the sudden increase in mileage, I was convinced on numerous occasions that I was injured (ankles, shins, quads I had them all give me issues) and yet each time the physio assured me I wasn’t but instead was just suffering from tight muscles. These niggles combined with some comments I got online regarding how my current 5K / 10K times didn’t match my chosen finishing time got inside my head, maybe I couldn’t do this. However, I figured anything up to 3:20 would be OK on the day and the comments about my time being unrealistic would serve as fuel for me to achieve it.

The day finally arrives and after pretty much zero sleep I get up a little after 6 and start to get ready. I should add here that I had not enjoyed much if any of the training up until this point. Early starts, painful muscles, long tedious runs, I knew were all doing me good, but I did not miss a minute of them when the taper began. However, the excitement on the morning itself was so intense that I almost forgave the sport of distance running its sins against me, this part was enjoyable.

Had decided to run with a friend who was also aiming for the same time so as a solo runner that was a change for me, also chose not to listen to an audiobook this time and instead soak it all in. Met my friend, locked our bikes and headed to the start. Needed a pee so began the long wait in line, this was at 8:40. Line moving very slowly, 8:45, 8:50 still not at the top of the queue, am I going to miss the start? My friend heads off to warm up, 8:55 and I finally get to the toilet. Back out just in time to not see my friend anywhere and instead move up as close to the 3:10 pacers as possible. Don’t make it, gun goes off and we’re moving.

I had toyed with the idea of using a pace band or trying for a negative split but instead I decided to keep things simple - I needed to match a 4:37km pace or as close as possible and just maintain that to get my time.

My memories of the various sections of the race are patchy, however, the decision to not use headphones had been correct as the support was amazing and the atmosphere intense in places.

Around the 8km mark I felt my right quad tighten a bit, I wasn’t overly worried as I knew this was too early for it to be anything lasting, right? Onward, I’m maintaining the splits at roughly the level I wanted, some faster, some slower. I grab a water bottle at the first station and that bottle stays with me for the next 20km, I wanted to be sure I could wash down the gels as needed.

Around km 30 my friend reappears, and we continue together. It’s also around this time that I feel this pace might not be sustainable, my legs are feeling heavy. Milltown hill, then heartbreak hill and I’m increasingly tired.

Miscalculations of my finishing times rush through my head, why are my legs moving so slowly? The run up to UCD flyover, that most ironically named of bridges, hits me hard and I feel things slipping away, a small panic begins. Nutley lane is a haze, Merrion road seems short in my mind but I’ve only driven it recently, not run it and it’s long. Really long.

The last few kms and I feel very strange, I know I have the energy to speed up but as soon as I start I immediately feel nauseous. I’m going too slow but every time I try to kick it up I think I’m going to be sick and there are so many people around I can’t. I feel like something is in my right pocket throwing my pace off, what the hell did I put in my pocket? I struggle on, nearly there, but something is definitely in my pocket. I check, it’s my right quad, so bunched and in a knot that it feels like I’m carrying something. I can see the timer on the gantry ahead, only seconds remain, one last push, I figure I can vomit in more privacy once I’m over the line.

Blue carpet, cross the line, stop my watch and look. I made it, only just, 3:15:50. Feelings of nausea retreat almost immediately and I’m feeling like I could have gone further. What was that all about? Doesn’t matter, I made it and collect my medal. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Target time: 4:30

This was my second marathon, first was in 2010. I pretty much stopped running for 7 years and only came back properly to it in January. I joined this group as I forgot what the training involved and felt I needed the extra guidance the mentors provided. It has been invaluable to me and I've learned so much, both from mentors and other posters.

The Training
    Pretty solid running through a scorcher of a summer but missed two weeks training due to holidays and sickness. I made the big mistake of not doing any races to reliably predict what my training paces or race target time should be. This meant I had to rely on my long runs, which were on average 10:30 pace and I felt fine after them all so figured 4:30 was very doable.

The Taper
    I was really looking forward to tapering down and not being wrecked all the time but I got very unlucky getting sick twice in 2 weeks. The second time with a cold which I started coming down with on Friday. I rested as much as possible, downed Vit C and Borocca and felt like I just might be ok.

DCM Day
    Woke up and felt good. Met a bunch of Boardsies opposite the Shelbourne, after asking a random group of people if they were from Boards - blank stares :pac: Walked to bag area with Juke, Effibear and Applegirl. I went to wave 4 while they went to wave 3. Was so beautiful but cold waiting by the canal. In no time we were on our way.

Miles 1-6: 11:06, 10:30, 12:42, 10:34, 11:42, 11:25

I started just behind the 4:30 pacers and as they disappeared around the corner I reminded myself that this was the plan, they were going for even splits, I wasn't and would catch them later. I let people pass me by and took in the crowds and atmosphere. Soon the 4:40 balloons passed me by and I thought feck should they be passing me too? I thought yes most probably as I was going for a 10:50 pace for first 6 miles. As I was going up Stoneybatter I realised that even though I was going at my slowest lsr pace, it felt anything but easy. I was breathing hard and my cheeks were red. This wasn't normal. I was getting very frustrated with myself, checking my phone for my pace.

On NCR the 4:50 balloons came up behind and eventually passed me in the Phoenix Park. Some light relief came when a guy was shouting something to his friend who kept say "wha'?" The 3rd time he had to repeat himself, someone else answered "wha'? And then another person and a few more and everyone burst out laughing :) And I enjoyed the visual of the 3:50 balloon guy going behind a tree while telling people not to follow him :D On Chesterfield I gave up checking my time and pace as it was getting me down so decided to forget time and just run by feel - to take in the atmosphere while running as fast as my breathing allowed.

Miles 7-13: 10:53, 9:46, 9:54, 9.44, 10.10, 10.12, 9.46

Castleknock was a wall of sound coming through. I thanked people who encouraged me and high-fived as many kids as had their hand out. I knew a downhill and respite was coming soon so thought I'd try to let gravity help me a bit and it did. After re-entering the park I started to pass out people, one of whom was a guy carrying an ironing board and iron under his arm! "Anyone got an extension lead?" he asked :D

Serious support at Donores clubhouse and Chapelizod. I felt in good spirits but was wondering if I'd ever catch up to the 3:50 balloons. In Inchicore I saw my favourite poster, 'Keep on Running, no Walken' with a large photo of Christopher Walken. Brilliant. Passed a lady at 12m marker shouting out we were halfway. Grrr. I saw and very gradually passed the 4:50 balloons. Finally. Would I be able to catch up to the 4:40's? Great cheers from crowds at Rialto and Crumlin, and mad roars from a clubmate who turned up 2 more times along the route.

Miles 14-18: 10:45, 9:53, 10:30, 10:27, 10:04

Met my boyfriend in Crumlin, he gave me a tiny bottle of premixed Tailwind which I poured into my large bottle of water. I was very happy with this plan as it meant I was taking in calories continuously. I could pour the mixture into my bottle as I ran and top it up with water at the stations. I also digested 4 gels but by mile 18 was sick of them. By mile 23 I craved pure water and was eyeing up spectators bottles by their chairs :P I couldn't fault my calorie intake plan as had no issues with energy or my tummy.

Going through Walkinstown roundabout was deadly. Just after, I spotted my brother on his bike. Was delighted but told him he couldn't cycle on the course with me in case he got me disqualified. "Now ya tell me". Saw him at 3 other points on the course. No flies on him. By this time I realised that I most likely wasn't going to catch the 4:40 balloons even though I was continuously passing out people. I noticed around this time that my left quad was beginning to hurt. The highlight of this section was high-fiving a newborn baby in the arms of his dad!

Miles 19-26.9: 10:16, 10:47, 10:56, 11:02, 10:41, 11:08, 10:55, 10:15

Didn't like Milltown at all. Long gradual uphill followed by steeper hill. But glad to say I didn't walk it or any other hills. I only walked for a few seconds at 2 water stations. A bit later I spotted a familiar person, it was Juke. She was having a tough time of it with her feet swelling which really sucked. Nothing else works if the feet aren't. As bad as I was at least I wasn't in physical pain. I just couldn't breathe properly!

I went ahead of Juke and soon came to Roebuck hill. I totally forgot what it was like but I didn't mind as it was so short. There were so many people walking up it and after. If I was going faster I would have felt it a lot more. On Fosters Ave. my breathing got very heavy and deep, so much so I was getting looks from people as I passed them. By the time I got to Nutley Lane the deep rasping had passed and was back to normal heavy breathing.

By now my quad was very sore and I was doing the obligatory shuffle run towards the finish. Spotted my workmate near the Schoolhouse who came out to support me, was very sweet of him. Coming down Mount st towards the finish line was something else. The noise was incredible and gave me a huge boost to finish strong. Crossing the finish line I still didn't know my time but was proud that I had finished and more importantly enjoyed the the race and atmosphere. Time: 4:45

After
    Met family for dinner, developed a bad cough so decided to skip McGrattans. Cycled home, had an Epsom salt bath and bathed in the warm glow. Looking back, even though I wasn't happy with the time, I'm happy with the day and the way I ran it. It's an experience not many get to be a part of. DCM 2019, I have business with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I know its a really simple/stupid question, but I have to ask!

....why am I hearing from so many runners (me included!), that the quad musceles gave them so many problems on Sunday, and yet during training I never even knew where my quad muscles were??

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

....why am I hearing from so many runners (me included!), that the quad musceles gave them so many problems on Sunday, and yet during training I never even knew where my quad muscles were??

Not sure, maybe intense exercise combined with repeated hill inclines hits the quads harder than the training had prepared them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

chabsey wrote: »
    Not sure, maybe intense exercise combined with repeated hill inclines hits the quads harder than the training had prepared them for?

oh!:eek:

oh!:eek:

Well it's a guess. Hit me hard on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

just signed up for DCM 2019, have unfinished business ha ha.
    feel an overwhelming desire to smash this years time and finish sub 4 next year.

• Advertisement

feel an overwhelming desire to smash this years time and finish sub 4 next year.

Fair play! Just keep running consistently between now and the start of a marathon plan next year and you'll definitely smash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Just done the same, and I've the same target. 12 months to find 13 and a half minutes.....

Just done the same, and I've the same target. 12 months to find 13 and a half minutes.....

No problem to you!

Am considering signing up. Is the cost reduced for this early sign up? Seems to be 73 euro which roughly is the same as the first 7k sign ups this year. Just trying to decide whether to put it on the long finger for now if the savings aren't huge.

Am considering signing up. Is the cost reduced for this early sign up? Seems to be 73 euro which roughly is the same as the first 7k sign ups this year. Just trying to decide whether to put it on the long finger for now if the savings aren't huge.

No savings unless there is an increase in price this year...we'll know soon enough I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Tenner off what I paid for this year (€83 IIRC). Not a big deal, but I signed up anyway just to get it sorted - letting it slide always risks missing the boat when it inevitably sells out.

Same here! Definitely have a score to settle!

I'll be signing up within the next week or so.........

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

coogy wrote: »
    Same here! Definitely have a score to settle!

I'll be signing up within the next week or so.........

Great stuff Ken. Glad to hear it. Felt bad for you on Sunday as i had been keeping a close eye on your training due to you targeting a similar time. I know and everyone else knows you were alot better than the sub 4. If anything and if everything went right for you I would have seen you easily getting inside 3.40. Onwards and upwards and I'm sure that what ever race you target in the immediate future, be it a 10k or 10 mile your confidence will be renewed again.

sann wrote: »
    Great stuff Ken. Glad to hear it. Felt bad for you on Sunday as i had been keeping a close eye on your training due to you targeting a similar time. I know and everyone else knows you were alot better than the sub 4. If anything and if everything went right for you I would have seen you easily getting inside 3.40. Onwards and upwards and I'm sure that what ever race you target in the immediate future, be it a 10k or 10 mile your confidence will be renewed again.

Thanks a million, I appreciate that.

I can safely say at this point that I have nothing but positives to take away with me from what I experienced on Sunday. Still feeling very emotional about it all, not helped one little bit by reading through the race reports that are now coming in thick and fast.
    It was never meant to be easy anyway, right? :)

I am dying to get back into race mode but need to think sensibly for the year ahead!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My quads gave out on me too. I'd done plenty of hill training in the lead up to it. I think my glute muscles tired first on the day and then the quads took up the slack but couldn't keep it going. I know after the run my glutes were in tatters, but the next day the stiffness migrated to the quads, and in particular, just above the knee

Advertisement