Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Sorry I was just expanding on the previous post once I got the results. I’ve had a 41 this year but I think it was only 3 shots under the css as it was 38.

I never took into account you need to beat css not par/HC.

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

With them scores I think your handicap is off at least 8/9 shots.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    With them scores I think your handicap is off at least 8/9 shots.
    It's definitely trending in the right direction this year, it feels great to see the little bit of extra effort in lessons and range time working.

I hope to get another big cut and trigger the ESR or failing that get an end of year review cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Have played 4 times in the last 3 months and scored 35, 35, 34 and 35 points. I think I have to key and it is playing less and not practising

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

45 points in a Fourball today (7 and 10 handicaps), didn't feature in the prizes... :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

36 & 37 points scored at the weekend. Thought the 37 might sneak a small cut, but CSS came in at 37.

Feels like a weekend where I wasted the opportunity to put in a score & get a late year cut, so a bit frustrated. Was placing on fairways too, so an ominous sign

On Saturday morning had 1 bad scratch & 2 bad 3-putts

On Sunday morning had no scratches, but one very bad double (having been in a greenside bunker in 2. Bunker has very thin on sand, so wedge bounced hard off the surface on contact & came out thin & went through the green leaving a tricky up & down & I lipped out the putt) & another bad 3-putt (on the same hole as on the previous day)

Greens had been spiked & sanded, so there were a few nasty bobbles to contend with.

Overall happy with my golf.

Drove well (a few loose ones)
    Hit irons well
    Bunker game was good
    Putting was solid (Lagged well but didn't hole enough putts)
    Scrambling outside of bunkers was the main weakness. Didn't hit any terrible chips/pitches. Just wasn't leaving them quite close enough to guarantee the up&down

Saturday:
    84 Strokes
    53% FIR
    33% GIR
    17% Scrambling
    50% Sandsaves
    31 Putts

Sunday
    83 Strokes
    47% FIR
    39% GIR
    27% Scrambling
    40% Sandsaves
    34 Putts

35 points of 23, was just solid bogey golf for the most part and had a few more putts dropped

12 bogeys
    1 par
    4 doubles
    1 scratch

drove well bar 2 holes one where i pushed the ball right into trees and the other a gale picked up and carried my ball OB, had 2 3 putts but also 2 longish 1 putts so overall happy, just fear I'm running out of time to get cut

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

78 (+7) on saturday for 35 points. My best score on course so far.
    12/14 FIR (the other misses allowed me to go for green too so was a very good day off the tee)
    11/18 GIR
    1/2 sand saves
    1/7 scrambling
    35 putts

2 birdies
    8 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 double

Highlights were my 2 birdies. 7 and 9 iron to a few feet. Played last 16 holes in +4.
    Low was my start. double bogey, bogey after two 3 putts.
    Enough to win category 1 prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

To give you lads an idea of Rosses Point teeth (a bit of a change from last week!):
    I played yesterday from the back tees in a strong north west breeze and:
    hit good drive on 5th and was 10 yds short of start of the fairway
    hit good drive and good 3 wood on 6th and was still 30 yds short
    two drivers on to 11th

To say it was tough was an understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

37 points off 21 for second place.

6 Pars (4 on last 5 holes)
    7 bogeys
    2 doubles
    2 triples
    1 scratch

Scratch came from giving up on a ball when being let play through. Under pressure and didn't think I was in with a shot of a finishing place.

Very happy overall especially considering both doubles were on holes 1 and 2 and clawed back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

To give you lads an idea of Rosses Point teeth (a bit of a change from last week!):
    I played yesterday from the back tees in a strong north west breeze and:
    hit good drive on 5th and was 10 yds short of start of the fairway
    hit good drive and good 3 wood on 6th and was still 30 yds short
    two drivers on to 11th

To say it was tough was an understatement!

I did tell the group that we had got to play in very easy circumstances due to the kind weather. I played that closing stretch in the ACC a couple of years back and it was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

30 points (7) yesterday in great conditions. was pretty hungover & that's my excuse for scratching 3 of the last 5 holes (14, 16 & 18) :) . 18 points going out & only 12 back. forgot to take pic of my card for usual breakdown of pars/bogeys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

after a brutal run of .1's back, and handicap going back to 13 (12.5). . I thankfully only had 1 round off the new handicap. Shot 39 points last Thursday. 
    10 Pars, 6 Bogeys, 2 Doubles - back to 11.8 was nice to get the cut, with only a limited number of qualifying rounds left I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

30 points around ballyliffin glashedy off 6. CSS 75
    Had a par par birdie par start and lipped out for birdie on 1st and 4th.
    Best ball striking round in a long time but my chipping wasn't there today so didn't get up and down enough.
    misclubbed a lot from very good drives, one flyer and rest short. not sure if i misjudged the wind or if ball wasn't travelling as much as it would have been past few months.
    2 lost balls on 11 and 17, 0/4 from the bunkers, 1 3 putt.
    what a course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

33 points of 13 in my local comp on Saturday. My ball striking particularly my driving was pretty good but this is not usually the issue with my golf. its my chipping/short game (terrible from bunkers) and putting that lets me down big time. I was probably on the green in regulation for 12 maybe 13 holes on Saturday but I also missed at least 8 putts from inside 6 foot. Hit 2 approach shots into green side bunkers, ended up scratching both holes as I could not get out of either bunker. Really frustrating now...

38 points or 24 in Sunday comp, another round of steady golf this time with a 0.8 cut :) and category win.

5 pars
    6 bogeys
    7 doubles

delighted to keep scratches off the card. Putted well on greens that had been pole forked during week and i only 1 3 putt after getting overly aggressive with a putt for a 2 on last par 3. Could have been a better round but got a little too aggressive on last few holes with my approach shots and probably cost me 2/3 points.

Not for the first time this year, feels like another wasted opportunity for a decent cut this year (and with the weather turning, there may not be many opportunities left).

Shot 36 points in lovely conditions on Sunday, but had 3 scratches on the card. Played really nice golf most of the way around the course, but the lapses have been very costly this year.

First scratch was on the 8th hole, a par 5. Hit an OK drive, but got very unlucky with the lie, about 2 yards off the fairway so could only shunt the ball forward. Left about 180 in to the hole. Had been hitting a nice baby fade all day, so started my approach at the left edge of the green to try bring it in. Unfortunately it came out straight, shot off the back of a greenside mound & bounced OOB. Probably wasn't the smart option with hindsight, if I'd missed the green on the right I would have taken the OOB out of play. I still would have had a makeable chance of an up & down par, at worst a bogey, so shouldn't have been looking for the perfect approach from that distance out.

Second scratch on the 13th, a short par 3. Had an 8 iron in. Caught it heavy & ended up in the water short. had to get up & down for a point from about 60yrds, which I didn't manage to do

Third scratch on the 17th, another par 3. Missed on the right side, but had to chip over a bunker. Duffed the chip & ended in the bunker. Hit a decent bunker shot, but missed a putt from about 5 foot for a point.

Lipped out twice with par putts too, which was frustrating.

So was 6 over for 15 of the holes played, and 7 over for the other 3.

Drove the ball pretty well, including driving the green on our par 4 10th hole. Just missed the eagle putt, but left a tap in birdie. Even when missing the fairways, it was generally only by a few yards, rather than anything too wild

Hit my irons well all day too, as well as hybrids on longer approaches.

Need to put some work into my putting. Looking at GameGolf, relative to a 10 handicap (which was my target for the year), for my last 10 rounds, I'm gaining in all areas of my game, except putting, where I'm losing just over 1 strokes per round (not massive I know, but it adds up over time)

85 strokes
    40% FIR
    33% GIR
    33 Putts (no 3 putts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

85 strokes
    40% FIR
    33% GIR
    33 Putts (no 3 putts)

Good stuff. Quick Q, do you use gamegolf to help record stats?

RoadRunner wrote: »

Yeah, I do indeed. Has lots of good stats in there once you get a decent number of rounds on record. You have to be willing to do something with them though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

39 pts yesterday in the weekend Stableford been a while since my club played a stableford comp at the weekend.

1 scratch
    2 birdies
    3 doubles and the rest were pars and bogies

Since found out I came 4th lost out to 3rd on a count back he must of having some back 9 since I was 17 out 22 back.

Sadly only got cut .3 so on the brink @ 17.6! I say that be the last qualifying event for me, was really hoping to get to at least 17..

On another note after weeks of bad golf my swing changes are starting to bed in and I feel I'm starting to have more control over the ball.

Typical me. Hit form at the start of the season and right at the end when qualifying is coming to a end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

34 points in Athlone yesterday, my first time playing any golf in 7 weeks. Picked a great day for it and played really well! Would have been 36 points too and my first time playing to my handicap all year but from 10 feet for par on the index 1 16th hole, I 4-putted for a blank. I had putted beautifully all day up to that point. Sickened me no end.

11 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 disaster

Game is in good shape though. Not playing golf gives you a lot of time to think about your game and I think I needed that after a disappointing year. I look forward to getting out again in another 7 weeks time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

RoadRunner wrote: »

Yeah, I do indeed. Has lots of good stats in there once you get a decent number of rounds on record. You have to be willing to do something with them though
    How do you find Game golf? I use the hole 19 app and while its good the stats are limited really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

Rikand wrote: »
    I look forward to getting out again in another 7 weeks time and at some boards outings next year ;)

Edited that for you :)

kod12 wrote: »
    How do you find Game golf? I use the hole 19 app and while its good the stats are limited really

There is a thread on this forum about it, which a few lads have contributed in to. A quick search should turn it up for you.

You'll get as much out of it as you put in to it. I know that some people complain about the tagging process, but I don't even notice it, its just part of my pre-shot routine & I don't think most people would notice me doing it at all (except with the putter because of where I had to stick the tag.

There is tons of really goof data in it. Aside from just FIR/GIR/Putts, you can use a Strokes Gained stat & benchmark yourself against different handicap levels to see where you need to work on your game.

You get distances with all your clubs, and you can go more granular & see distances from different lies (off the tee, from fairway, from rough).

There are competitions you can enter on the App too, if that's the kind of thing you're in to, can be good for making you focus on something.

You do need a good few rounds on the app to start getting meaningful numbers from it.

If you're a bit of a numbers geek, then I think you'd get enjoyment out of it, and you can probably pick up the classic version of it relatively cheaply at this stage.

There is a built in GPS on it. I haven't used it, as I have my own one separately.

There is also a new "Caddie" function on it too, which offers club selection suggestions based on the GPS & your data. Again, I haven't used this either, but I might take a look at what it does over the winter in a casual round, just out of curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Played Dunmurry Springs Today. Fantastic and tough enough course.

38 points off of 20.

5 pars
    8 bogeys
    3 doubles
    one +3
    one +5

21 points on front nine and then fell apart a bit. Thought I was a lock for sub 90 after ninth hole but the journey continues.

Happy still.

40pts ( CSS 39 ) so down to 18.5 after two missed buffers.

Tees forward and two temps greens as two greens are being redesigned.

Started with a scratch and ended with one. Started with a thin,a duff,a top in a fairway bunker,a thin and finished by hitting it 100 yds back down the fairway for the back green bunker.

18th drive wasn't too bad just pushed it right, just got a horrible lie (and a little unlucky) and couldn't get it back in play

2 Blanks
    1 Double
    7 Bogies
    8 Pars

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

13pts on front 9, 25 on the back. Played last 6 holes in 3 under. Down to 11.2

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

32 off 14 on Montgomery course in carton house, six three putts. First time playing it, tough but fair

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Scotch foursommes today, so I can't take all the credit, but 41 points today. Tbh I think that's a good score in the format. Few poor shots, mostly good though. Short putts were decent too.

Cold but lovely out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

42 points off 7 in Athlone yesterday.

What a gorgeous day for golf. Beautiful sunshine from start to finish and not even the cold north wind could dampen my golf. Hit a great drive off the first and an approach into 15 feet, it set the tone for the whole day. Parred the first, birdied the second from 8 feet and then parred every hole from the 3rd to the 15th to still be 1 under after 15 holes.

Bogeyed the long par 4 16th, without doing anything wrong really. Made a good par on 17 and then lipped out for par on 18 for what would have been my first level par round off the white markers in Athlone ever. [3 times I have shot +1 off the white tees before yesterday and once I shot -3 off the yellows]. Still a super round of golf and should hopefully get me back towards 5. If Standard scratch is 36, I'll be down to 5.5 (so close!)

FIR 12/14
    GIR 11/18
    Putts 31

Advertisement