Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Presidential Election Poll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Seems to have pulled out.

Disappointing. A man sticking up for the tax paying middle class if you ask me. Even if he can't do anything, he has highlighted the anger amoungst us at the sheer waste of our tax money on ludacris items. The traveller issue to me is not an issue with travellers themselves but the sheer waste of money. Travellers or anyone for that matter refusing housing should be told to sling there hook and back to the end of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Hopefully now common sense will prevail and Michael D will stay where he belongs.

Protest votes are dangerous things - we need only look to the UK and USA to see just how dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Hopefully now common sense will prevail and Michael D will stay where he belongs.

Protest votes are dangerous things - we need only look to the UK and USA to see just how dangerous.

So you are saying that people should vote on the status quo of political correctness so not to offend others.

That doesn't sound like democracy.

What's the difference than been fed lies because they are popular (removal of USC charge) or give away budgets clearly looking for votes.

I'd take someone speaking the truth anyday.

There's a group of people in Ireland be them travelers or settled that are getting away with far to much and been giving far to much slack, yet the people paying for it get neither. Politicians fairy dancing around real issues giving out sound bite lies to be politically correct rather than saying it like it is. But this is nanny state Ireland and we are not mature enoght to hear it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

JMNolan wrote: »
    Presumably there is no risk even if Casey was elected. It's a position with no power, isn't it?

No political power yes, but visibility on the worlds radar, someone who is a bit of a loose cannon or not very eloquent at speaking might create diplomatic embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah and the success of Brexit and Trump shows how these "protests" are so succesful. Neither became laughing stocks at all.

Has Trump been unsuccessful? Think things are better for the average US citizen since he took power. They've more money in their pay packet at the end of the week, for definite. Unemployment is at a 49 year low. His Gallup approval rating is up to 44%. That's the same as Obama, interestingly and higher than Clinton and Reagan. He's just signed new trade deals with Canada and Mexico. Think Casey may get enough votes now, if he continues, to get some money back but MD will still win at a canter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

So you are saying that people should vote on the status quo of political correctness so not to offend others.

That doesn't sound like democracy.

No I meant people shouldn’t base their votes on wanting to give the finger to the establishment or the person who happens to share a particular view point with them.

In Germany in the 1930s a lot of people voted for a little Austrian guy with a funny mustache because he shared their views on Jews and how they were treated after WWI amongst other things. Didn’t work put so well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

TallGlass wrote: »
    Seems to have pulled out.

Disappointing. A man sticking up for the tax paying middle class if you ask me. Even if he can't do anything, he has highlighted the anger amoungst us at the sheer waste of our tax money on ludacris items. The traveller issue to me is not an issue with travellers themselves but the sheer waste of money. Travellers or anyone for that matter refusing housing should be told to sling there hook and back to the end of the line.

Well, he has proven that he suffers from the same thing as those protesting that we 'have suffered this plague long enough' - he is too lazy to do anything constructive about it.
    A whole '90%' of da people were in frightened oppression by this plague, apparently and finally found de saviour - a spokesman, and what does he do? Takes a fecking break. Oh the travesty. :eek:

Neyite wrote: »
    No political power yes, but visibility on the worlds radar, someone who is a bit of a loose cannon or not very eloquent at speaking might create diplomatic embarrassment.

That's happened already with FG, was it Leo who said something in the States and thought us Irish don't watch telly at home? Saying one thing in one place and another thing in another place. The world media picked that one up and it's not the first time either.

Well, he has proven that he suffers from the same thing as those protesting that we 'have suffered this plague long enough' - he is too lazy to do anything constructive about it.
    A whole '90%' of da people were in frightened oppression by this plague, apparently and finally found de saviour - a spokesman, and what does he do? Takes a fecking break. Oh the travesty. :eek:

Well I imagine seening this a few of the political parties might take a page out of the same book. So I would expect to see more of this come down the line.

• Advertisement

Bit of a stretch? It's the president of Ireland we are talking about. How many media outlets around the world are covering this election?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Berserker wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch? It's the president of Ireland we are talking about. How many media outlets around the world are covering this election?

I'm not talking about election coverage. I'm talking about the 7 years of the actual job which entails meeting people from the very bottom and very top of a wide range of countries and cultures, discussing current affairs and being able to converse about potentially controversial subjects without causing offence as either a host or guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He was an idiot to drag this sort of stuff into the Presidential race.

If he really cared so much and wanted to effect genuine change when it comes to property rights, trespassing and whatever else he seems to be on about, he'd stand as a TD.

Although I suspect that wouldn't offer enough ego massaging for him as he thinks being President would.

He was an idiot to drag this sort of stuff into the Presidential race.

If he really cared so much and wanted to effect genuine change when it comes to property rights, trespassing and whatever else he seems to be on about, he'd stand as a TD.

Although I suspect that wouldn't offer enough ego massaging for him as he thinks being President would.

The only thing he was an idiot for was suspending his campaign.

This fake uproar is embarrassing in Ireland.

If you don't believe a candidate shares your point of view. Don't vote for them.

Thats democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If he pulls out, it confirms my suspicions. Casey never actually wanted to win - and now he's afraid he might! His statement regarding the reason for considering pulling out is ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well I imagine seening this a few of the political parties might take a page out of the same book. So I would expect to see more of this come down the line.

Well it belongs in the political arena. Does the fact that it hasn't figured up to now tell you anything? Anything at all?

The only thing he was an idiot for was suspending his campaign.

This fake uproar is embarrassing in Ireland.

If you don't believe a candidate shares your point of view. Don't vote for them.

Thats democracy.

If someone who's putting themselves forward for public office comes out with mad outlandish statements that have nothing whatsoever to do with the role they're attempting to take up, then people can point that out.

A candidate can have any point of view they want. The Irish public can, as well as not voting for them, express their bafflement over behaviour that is wildly out of step with the job and the Presidential election process.

That's democracy.

I'm not talking about election coverage. I'm talking about the 7 years of the actual job which entails meeting people from the very bottom and very top of a wide range of countries and cultures, discussing current affairs and being able to converse about potentially controversial subjects without causing offence as either a host or guest.

The man has been in business for decades. I've little doubt that he is capable of doing the above. He's made a mistake or he's decided to be brutally honest on this matter. MD has made a few gaffs during his tenure.
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    If he pulls out, it confirms my suspicions. Casey never actually wanted to win - and now he's afraid he might! His statement regarding the reason for considering pulling out is ludicrous!

He is not going to win anyway. He has 1% in the last poll I read, in comparison to MD who has 70%, iirc.

If someone who's putting themselves forward for public office comes out with mad outlandish statements that have nothing whatsoever to do with the role they're attempting to take up, then people can point that out.

A candidate can have any point of view they want. The Irish public can, as well as not voting for them, express their bafflement over behaviour that is wildly out of step with the job and the Presidential election process.

That's democracy.

Why was his statement outlandish?

Are you saying only a tiny amount of people would agree with his statement?

Why was his statement outlandish?

Are you saying only a tiny amount of people would agree with his statement?

Because he's a man who's putting himself forward for the presidency of Ireland. Or was. A role in which he can effect no social change and will have no say into policy matters, funding or law making.

He's ranting into the wind and it has absolutely nothing to do with the job he's going for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

It looks like the Presidential election will now become a referendum on Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wonder did somebody get to Casey.

I presume this guy has a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Laois_Man wrote: »
    jesus the AH echo chamber must be deafening if you thought he had any chance of winning.

There's After Hours and the comments section of the Journal and they're both wrapped up in this weird little bubble of some alternative Ireland that doesn't exist outside of their computer screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Could you explain this part?? Do you think he deliberately made the Irish Independent ask him the question he answered honestly???

Yes

He said he asked his advisors before making the statements.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Given the way that Trump and Brexit happened by protest votes by disillusioned voters trying to make a point the people who are switching their vote from Higgins to Casey can still do the protest by putting Casey as their number 2 on the ballot paper with Higgins as the number 1

That sends the same signal and lessens the risk that we will actually have to have him as president.
    Not really because Number 2s will never be tallied and Higgins stands for the opposite of everything Casey stands for.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

AZk579f.jpg

Correlation does not equal causation and all that but the way this poll from a few days ago on AH's relationship status lines up with the current presidential poll proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that After Hours needs to get the jump. And maybe cuddle afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

AZk579f.jpg

Correlation does not equal causation and all that but the way this poll from a few days ago on AH's relationship status lines up with the current presidential poll proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that After Hours needs to get the jump. And maybe cuddle afterwards.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

What muppet is voting for Sean Gallagher?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

What muppet is voting for Sean Gallagher?

Can't really call anyone a mupoet here given the amount of people who voted Casey. Hope this is Ireland's Brexit/Trump moment anyway as you can't get any more lower stakes than the presidential election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement