Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Brings back terrible memories. John Kelly, my beloved Val Joyce and, I think, Donal Dineen were all given the shepherds crook on the same day. The future, we were told, was Turbidy, Duffy and Mooney. I didn’t mind John in the Late Date slot mind, but was always clear his heart wasn’t in it.

John was used as the chief replacement for Val Joyce. Bizarrely he had won a PPI award for his summer afternoon show in 2005, the show being kept on in an extended slot for 2006 before he was moved onto nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

garbanzo wrote: »
    Have enjoyed JCs eclectic musical choices for many’s the year. However, without wishing to draw the wrath of the internet upon me; I do think he has a habit of talking just a little bit too much between the tunes. Grates on me a little.

There, I said it.

I find his voice soothing....like a bowl of soup in front of the fire...in yer pj's....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

RINO87 wrote: »
    Maybe a bit late for you, but the music on this french station is absolutely top notch and runs in a similar vein to some of the stuff john plays. Quality music to have on in work.

https://www.fip.fr/player

FIP is great. And now with genre selection options.
    Many years ago, before internet radio apps, I was inexplicably able to enjoy FIP on FM in the Brighton area. Turned out a local radio buff was re-transmitting the signal from his loft. Alas he was busted for contavening the Broadcasting Act. Even now I still feel I'd like to thank him.

Radio Sing Sing Another interesting french station I discovered on my hols. From the St Malo area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RINO87 wrote: »
    Maybe a bit late for you, but the music on this french station is absolutely top notch and runs in a similar vein to some of the stuff john plays. Quality music to have on in work.

https://www.fip.fr/player

Thanks for that. I stuck it on the other night when I saw the link. I've it saved on TuneIn for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

FIP is brilliant. Been listening to it for years as I’m a bit of a Francophile. Had heard that story previously about it being listened to on the south coast of England but never knew it was a guy re-broadcasting it. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

met john today in cork!
    starstruck!

met john today in cork!
    starstruck!

Sooo jel...........:)..did you mention us at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Sooo jel...........:)..did you mention us at all....

haha no sorry ,it was just a quick hello inside a shop :)
    id imagine he's come across this thread though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

WMFU (Give the drummer radio) is another station plays really interesting music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Imagine if he was on during the day,,say lunchtime......the others (nova) wouldnt get a look in...;)

His previous daytime show was poor, IMO. Though not excruciating as some other Radio Old musical programming efforts, I'll grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

garbanzo wrote: »
    Have enjoyed JCs eclectic musical choices for many’s the year. However, without wishing to draw the wrath of the internet upon me; I do think he has a habit of talking just a little bit too much between the tunes. Grates on me a little.

I've some sympathy with this. I was pleasantly surprised by his song-selection variety when they moved him to this "new" slot. (Dare I ask how long it's been? If it's a decade I'll be morto.) A lot of the banter is pretty good. Certainly compared to his colleagues and competitors.

But he does occasion lapse into excessive Midcorkwhackery, cliché, and outright self-parody. (Deliberate or otherwise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Down. In. Jungleland.

It transports me straight back to many nights at the RDS, with Bruce and Clarence - Scooter and the Big Man - back to back, or leaning into each other, with Bruce beaming in admiration as his best band buddy soars it up to the heavens.

I miss Clarence.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Fiachna kicking off with two absolute classics!

Ah yeah! :D

‘The Song With No Name’ by Shane McGowan - haven’t heard this in years!

Good call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

‘The Song With No Name’ by Shane McGowan - haven’t heard this in years!

Good call :)

I spent a few weeks with lads while they were supposed to be rehearsing for that album. Those were the days.

John..if you're reading this I'd love to hear some Katherine Priddy this week......Ring of roses if poss......;)

‘68 Guns’ by The Alarm!

I punched the air so hard, I think I’ve dislocated something.

:blush:

‘68 Guns’ by The Alarm!

Saw Dead men walking (The Jack Tars) years ago in Dublin... great to hear all the mix of songs....

‘68 Guns’ by The Alarm!

I put my foot through the floor and damaged my car. Luckily for me it was on the way back after an NCT pass so I've got 12 months to fix it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Karl Blau's Let the World Go By is a lovely tune.

Good show tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭thesandeman

‘68 Guns’ by The Alarm!

Something similar. Hit my head off the lampshade and knocked the bulb out of its socket. I'd forgotten that song and band ever existed.

Something similar. Hit my head off the lampshade and knocked the bulb out of its socket. I'd forgotten that song and band ever existed.

Thats Alarming..................:D

Thats Alarming..................:D

Somebody e mailed into John years back to tell him that The Alarm were from North Wales.

His reply?

Rhylly.

God I miss Joy division every time I hear the mongrel that is New order...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I was surprised to him play Blue Mink's 'Melting Pot' this week....thought it was very un-pc to play it these days??..read what happened when a BBC station played it a few years ago:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2964374/A-little-racist-BBC-DJ-Alan-Partridge-moment-apologising-playing-1969-song-features-words-yellow-Chinkees.html

Only John could get away (yet) with it !!!

I was surprised to him play Blue Mink's 'Melting Pot' this week....thought it was very un-pc to play it these days??..read what happened when a BBC station played it a few years ago:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2964374/A-little-racist-BBC-DJ-Alan-Partridge-moment-apologising-playing-1969-song-features-words-yellow-Chinkees.html

Typical BBC..reaction.....I'm going to ask John for The Chinkees tonight...:)

The answers you seek are on the last page of the Alan Partridge thread in the TV forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Prince plays the blues on piano - a home recording. Now that's classy...

‘Making Plans For Nigel’ - good call :)

• Advertisement

The Black Eyed Peas! :O

Say it ain’t so, John :(

Advertisement