Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Allow? Have i traveled back in time or something?

Change the word to 'like'...You know exactly what I meant by the question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

gavin duffy might be ok about that they can keep their horses on his land with his hunters share the fodder and maybe go lamping with lurchers in the evenings........ ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

The point of the comparison is that Casey is pointing at them and saying "Hey look at this blight on society" as a populist move to gain votes, while offering zero in terms of substance.

Is there a need to offer substance? As President there won't be much he could do about it. However, I know that I for one would rather vote for a President in office who had similar principles and viewpoints to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Since the other 5 Presidential candidates love travellers so much, why doesn't someone ask them in their live TV debates if they would allow their sons or daughters to marry a traveller and lets see the answers we would get. I would love if someone called their bluff.

Or even invite them over to their gaff for tea and crumpets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Allow? Have i traveled back in time or something?

well.....for most of us 'allow' wouldn't really come into it considering most of us wouldn't normally marry until we're of an age we're legally allowed to do so without our parents written permission....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

This is from memory, so forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate here.

Casey was asked about how he stood with the norion that travelling people were granted special status as an ethnic minority.

He said he thought it was BS, and asked how or why fellow Irish people should get special status over others.

Thats the opposite of racism or being a bigot.

The complete opposite.

Sure, I never said he's a racist or a bigot.

The question is why would his stance on travelers sway you to voting for him? It's irrelevant in the larger scheme of things because he will never do anything to address the issues raised in threads such as these, nor will he somehow revoke the special ethnic minority status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Why not ask Gallagher, Duffy and Micheal D how many travellers the employ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

The question is why would his stance on travelers sway you to voting for him? It's irrelevant in the larger scheme of things because he will never do anything to address the issues raised in threads such as these, nor will he somehow revoke the special ethnic minority status.

It's refreshing to see someone run for any kind of office telling the truth.

vonlars wrote: »
    Is there a need to offer substance? As President there won't be much he could do about it. However, I know that I for one would rather vote for a President in office who had similar principles and viewpoints to me.

Of course there is. Casey hasn't a notion when it comes to politics, and he's up against a statesman like Michael D who has been involved in politics with the aim of bettering the country for the majority of his life.

There's no comparison between the two, and to vote for Casey on the basis of agreeing with his disdain for travelers seems ridiculous to me. Similarly to voting for Trump because he "says it how it is" and he doesn't like the Mexicans.

It's refreshing to see someone run for any kind of office telling the truth.

Do you think Michael D was lying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

mgn wrote: »
    Why not ask Gallagher, Duffy and Micheal D how many travellers the employ.

That's a bit unfair, sure, they'd have to be willing to work before anyone could consider hiring them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

"Independent candidate"
    "Only one term"

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No but the post i replied to, and you followed up on, and ultimately led us to here compared him (casey) to views on blacks or jews during the war/50s Alabama.

Casey's not saying travellers are subhuman/have less rights than you or I.

In fact he's saying the opposite.

Travellers should be treated no less favourably than any other members of the community, giving them special status is a load of balls.

I consider myself pretty much left leaning, but really and truly can not get the uproar about that.

It's not politically incorrect, it's not racist or bigoted, saying one section of society should be treated exactly the same as the rest of society, is in fact the exact opposite actually.

I don't see what people are outraged with here.

"Independent candidate"
    "Only one term"

Yep.

He's an independent candidate this time?

It's entirely possible he only intended to run for one term, and that something changed along the way.

Careless with the truth on certain subjects last night imo.

Careless with the truth on certain subjects last night imo.

For example?

No but the post i replied to, and you followed up on, and ultimately led us to here compared him (casey) to views on blacks or jews during the war/50s Alabama.

Casey's not saying travellers are subhuman/have less rights than you or I.

In fact he's saying the opposite.

Travellers should be treated no less favourably than any other members of the community, giving them special status is a load of balls.

I consider myself pretty much left leaning, but really and truly can not get the uproar about that.

It's not politically incorrect, it's not racist or bigoted, saying one section of society should be treated exactly the same as the rest of society, is in fact the exact opposite actually.

I don't see what people are outraged with here.

Fair enough, I'm in agreement that what he said is not particularly outrageous. Some of the comments on here regarding travellers are fairly vile all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭facehugger99

This is from memory, so forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate here.

Casey was asked about how he stood with the norion that travelling people were granted special status as an ethnic minority.

He said he thought it was BS, and asked how or why fellow Irish people should get special status over others.

Thats the opposite of racism or being a bigot.

The complete opposite.

It's dog whistle politics and it worked perfectly as can be seen in the deplorable comments and invective being spouted by the usual anti-traveler AH gob****e brigade.

For example?

I don't believe his plane to Belfast because = security.

2 mins later and trying to defend an insinuation that a car wouldn't be good enough, he dropped a clanger by telling them that he drove to Derry a few weeks ago.

I wasn't convinced, but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

He's an independent candidate this time?

It's entirely possible he only intended to run for one term, and that something changed along the way.

That something is called "perks" of the job. Not to forget to mention the constant hagiography from an obsequious media.
    Worth fighting for.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'm in agreement that what he said is not particularly outrageous. Some of the comments on here regarding travellers are fairly vile all the same.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Well FG certainly don't like Caseys message

Moments after the interview, Casey’s comments were criticised in the Dáil by Tánaiste Simon Coveney, who said he did not know if wanted to “give more oxygen” to them.
    He said Irish politics tends not to resort to the “lowest common denominator politics” where candidates built profiles on “a prejudice that is undoubtedly there, but should not be stoked up”.

“This is a vulnerable ethnic community in Ireland,” he said, adding that those who wanted to be in public office should show “leadership and generosity” in terms of trying to improve and change the narrative around Travellers.

http://www.thejournal.ie/peter-casey-simon-coveney-traveller-comments-4293173-Oct2018/

Vulnerable ethnic community lol

Another reason not to vote FG

They are just that out of touch. Of course they were the ones who recognised the ethnic BS in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

Of course there is. Casey hasn't a notion when it comes to politics, and he's up against a statesman like Michael D who has been involved in politics with the aim of bettering the country for the majority of his life.

There's no comparison between the two, and to vote for Casey on the basis of agreeing with his disdain for travelers seems ridiculous to me. Similarly to voting for Trump because he "says it how it is" and he doesn't like the Mexicans.

Do you understand the role of the president? Voting for any of them based on anything they say or do is actually quite pointless.

As I've said, I'd rather vote for someone who stands for my beliefs. Have you done any reading on the Nally case? Do you know how many elderly people in rural areas live in absolute fear? I know an elderly man who was robbed by them and so scared he insisted he be put into a nursing home in case they came back and killed him. You know what they did? They came back and took every single thing he had left behind. There's no baseless prejudices against travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Change the word to 'like'...You know exactly what I meant by the question
    Why bother? If any said 'no' you would be jumping up and down about "see? I was right!" and if they all said they wouldn't mind and would be supportive of it you would be jumping up and down about "see? Politicians lying as always, I knew I was right!"

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Casey should wind up the SJWs and lefties to such an extent that they take to the streets. It would do his chances no end of good.

vonlars wrote: »
    Do you understand the role of the president? Voting for any of them based on anything they say or do is actually quite pointless.

As I've said, I'd rather vote for someone who stands for my beliefs. Have you done any reading on the Nally case? Do you know how many elderly people in rural areas live in absolute fear? I know an elderly man who was robbed by them and so scared he insisted he be put into a nursing home in case they came back and killed him. You know what they did? They came back and took every single thing he had left behind. There's no baseless prejudices against travellers.

Yes I understand the role of the President, thanks.

I think it's fairly self evident at this stage who would be better at fulfilling that role. A well articulated man of principle like Michael D can represent us far better than a bumbling fool like Casey.

I haven't read about the Nally case. I think that there have been some terrible crimes commited by members of the traveling community and it's seriously scary for vulnerable people in rural areas. Serious work needs to be done to improve this situation.

That said, it doesn't serve anyone to turn around and say "all travellers are scum", etc etc, as we're reading here. What is a decent member of the traveling community supposed to do in a situation where the rest of us have already condemned him as a scumbag before he gets a chance?

(Queue a response of "there's no such thing" and a hundred thanks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

(Queue a response of "there's no such thing" and a hundred thanks)

You take Boards way to serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

It's dog whistle politics and it worked perfectly as can be seen in the deplorable comments and invective being spouted by the usual anti-traveler AH gob****e brigade.

Has to be a lot more subtle than that to be a "dogwhistle". But you're right to the extent that it does indeed further embolden the "he's not nearly prejudiced enough!" shower.

It might actually be something of a wake-up call if Casey did get elected. At that point, it might get a bit of wider notice. TBF at this point the EU and rest of the world have one or two other things to be worrying about, other than someone polling at 2% in an election for a largely ceremonial presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I haven't read about the Nally case.

You must be the only adult in Ireland not to know about it ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

quintana76 wrote: »
    SJWs and lefties

Two quick swigs there, players of the quintana76 drinking game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement