Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Freeman v the Shinner with kendo sticks ?

Perhaps you mean shinai?

Handy to get the terminology right, lest you get bopped over the head with the wrong type of sword (or "stick") with a loosely worded request...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Are you implying they are not one ethnicity because there are "good ones and bad ones"?
    :confused::confused::confused:

No I'm saying they shouldn't be an ethnicity at all they're just a bunch of people who won't live like others do. The only people expected to "move with the times" and not go back to the "dark days" are the poor gimps who slave away every day paying taxes for others who are allowed to continue as they were 100 years ago because some makey uppy status by someone in power who did it to be popular passed.

If we are expected to move with the times and allow them some sort of welcome into our society it should be returned.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    All citizens are the same, or should be. If Casey wants to express an opinion that designating Travellers as a distinct ethnic group was a mistake, that's his right. It's also an opinion that many other citizens share..

Especially the ones that want to do as Casey did, to wit to go on a lengthy prejudicial rant about them as a distinct group. Kinda proving the point about the wisdom of the designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Seán O’Rourke sent his roving reporter to Portlaoise this week. You always know when the reporter is in the midlands

Case 1 was a traveller chap who was minding his business when two comrades threw chainsaws in the back and shouted drive drive drive. All three arrested. Such a laughable story :rolleyes: the driver was innocent see, under duress. The judge asked was he taking her for a fool and the solicitor as much as said it was a pack of lies but he was under instructions. Got community service

Case 2 was stealing dogs. Why? “Easy cash” they say. Got jail as I remember

Maybe there are parts of Ireland who never deal with this and so a poster can say he trusts everyone. Other areas of Ireland are plagued by it

gizmo555 wrote: »
    All citizens are the same, or should be. If Casey wants to express an opinion that designating Travellers as a distinct ethnic group was a mistake, that's his right. It's also an opinion that many other citizens share..

If he brought that discussion to the table to discuss rationally, that'd be fine - it's the way it was the opening line in a rant, worthy of a boardsie going off on one. Not presidential material.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Casey for speaking up when everyone else was too afraid. He'll be getting my vote anyway.

Another proud member of the worst 2% in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Paulzx wrote: »
    No boss............the settled people keep coming into the site and dumping rubbish...i tells ye, not a word of a lie........

That's literally what a typical PC poster on here claimed before. Seriously, check this out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105353373&postcount=30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Miriam O'Callaghan

Sure she reckons Margaret Cash is a great mother

excellent suggestion. i can see this going global.
    Pay per View, Corporate sponsorship etc.

"AGGRO at the ARÁS. LAST MAN STANDING"

the proceeds could be used to run the presidency, thereby relieving us hardpressed taxpayers.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    You always know when the reporter is in the midlands

Just to be entirely clear, are you here to denigrate all Travellers? Or everyone in the Midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Politician in speaking the truth/obvious shocker and subsequent outrage from the usual quarters.

What times we live in!

• Advertisement

If he brought that discussion to the table to discuss rationally, that'd be fine - it's the way it was the opening line in a rant, worthy of a boardsie going off on one. Not presidential material.

What rant? He said he doesn't believe they deserve special treatment, it's very blunt, to the point, it isn't a rant it's his opinion. Aren't you going off on one yourself? You know some lovely traveller ladies, great. We all have met some nice ones. I don't think that gives them the right to special treatment either, what's the big deal with that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Margaret Cash feels violated
    Well well this is a man that wants to run our country 😠 He is a racist and ignorant pig 😠 Talk bout travellers like there dirt the cheek of him 😠 I supoise in a way hes just sayin wat a lot of others tink, i no wen i first came homeless i had to buy a cravan i pulled along the side of the road and everywhere we went people had a problem. I beged the council to let me pull it on a site but they said no. So when us TRAVLERS pull in on peoples land its because we r left no other choice. This agin is a result of the houseing crises. And wen we pull our cravens around the roads the poor old settle people will drag there tents. So mr peter casey really should understand we just wanna live like every1 else. ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8 linnebet

Collecting rubbish (for money), yes absolutely they do this, then dumping it wherever they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anything that annoys that yoke can’t be too bad haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I am very disappointed SHE is not RUNNING for President

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

And such is life these days. You can only be presedential material if you pander to the party line and speak in riddles and half truths. The man spoken the truth and apparently because of this he's not presedential material. Typical.

Babooshka wrote: »
    What rant? He said he doesn't believe they deserve special treatment, it's very blunt, to the point, it isn't a rant it's his opinion. Aren't you going off on one yourself? You know some lovely traveller ladies, great. We all have met some nice ones. I don't think that gives them the right to special treatment either, what's the big deal with that?
    basically people camping in someone else's land

They are not paying their fair share of taxes in society

That's a load of nonsense. They are not from Romany or whatever.

^ That rant

Nothing he said was in any way a reasonable debate - just throwaway, dismissive comments.

Maybe I'm living in a parallel universe here, but I don't believe I've ever had any issue/problem with a traveller.

I wouldn't say you're in a parallel universe, just that you're in the vast vast minority. How come nearly everyone has a bad opinion of Travellers? It can just be made up can it? Where has the reputation come from? Is it everyone else who is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

naughtb4 wrote: »
    On Niall Boylan now

Travelers cannot get jobs because "of the government and you Niall, who is a racist"

These remarks have certainly triggered a bit of a discussion (for today at least)

Margaret Cash (for some unknown reason) has a link to her "interview" with NB on her FB page.
    Its worth a listen.
    It typifies the zeitgeist
    As well as a "social workers ger fcuked".
    Charming

dulux99 wrote: »
    The man spoken the truth

Which bit was the 'truth'?

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see John Connors wheeled out on The Tonight Show later this evening. Exactly the stuff Yates/Cooper would relish.

If he is, please notify us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I am very disappointed SHE is not RUNNING for President

The Áras is for seven years. Not a forever home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Who is Margaret Cash,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Nothing he said was in any way a reasonable debate - just throwaway, dismissive comments.
    In your opinion. You seem to be in a minority here and elsewhere that commentary is allowed including Radio.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is it everyone else who is wrong?

...but is this a matter of black/white or right/wrong? There are troublemakers in all areas of society - no one group is all the same.

What are the anti-traveller posters suggesting should change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

goat2 wrote: »
    Who is Margaret Cash,

She's the one with her hand in your pocket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Which bit was the 'truth'?

All of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

...but is this a matter of black/white or right/wrong? There are troublemakers in all areas of society - no one group is all the same.

What are the anti-traveller posters suggesting should change?

Travellers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

They should not have minority ethnoc status. Doesnt matter if they are law abiding or not. Living a certain why should mean ethnic status. I mean paedos are a minority but they dont get a minority ethnic status

• Advertisement

^ That rant

Ok so you don't have the experience of them camping on your land, you just know some nice people from the travelling community, that's fine. There are people who have genuinely been terrorised by some of the travelling community. Do you think that figureheads can only be figureheads if they sweep that under the rug? This is ignored by the main media, covered by the redtops for sensationalism purposes, and, in general, avoided for fear of being labelled racist. Do you want an immature society like this, or one that has people who will start the conversation, regardless that you didn't like how they started it? If he had said it nicer, as you suggested earlier, would you think he was presidential material then?

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement