Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I agree with you Mellor, it's a toss up. I remember watching Khabib destroy Johnson and at that time my actual words were 'Pray for Conor' because I believed it was likely he would do the same to McGregor.

The more you look into it the more you realise how even it is. I can honestly see any outcome bring possible, and I mean any. I probably have it 55/45 in Conor's favor and that's just because every round starts on the feet.

Personally I hope Conor wins. While I hate a lot of his non MMA persona, I love what he brings to the sport as a whole.
    Most sensible people seem to have it 55-45 for Conor, it's that hard a fight to call.

Then you have the usual he'll be mauled, he'll be sparked in one etc.

Definitely one of the more anticipated fights in recent time due to the very different skill sets they both bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor by Sub
    Im also in agreement with Mellor and Whelo. I don't agree with the narrative that Conor needs a flash knockout and that if Khabib lands one takedown then it's done. I feel Khabib is going to take some hard shots and survive, and that Conor is going to get taken down and mauled a bit but he'll survive. A lot of analysis is centered around how important cage cutting and control is and I would agree. Neither guy wants their back to the cage so very interested to see who controls the center if they're both pushing forward. Conor is also very skilled at attacking moving backwards or at angles, unlike Barboza and Johnson, so he'll be a constant very dangerous threat whenever its standing. I reckon it's going to go at least as far as round 3 with back and forth action, still have it about 50/50.

Have serious fizzy balls now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    kwestfan08 wrote: »

Have to say I'm am officially buzzing after watching that and it's still about 16hrs till fight time :D

I need to watch Con Air after that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads if you want to discuss Whiskey do so in the other thread thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    kwestfan08 wrote: »

Have to say I'm am officially buzzing after watching that and it's still about 16hrs till fight time :D

Oh boy that's good. I seen a shorter version earlier this morning and it didn't grab me as much as this version. Consider my bumps officially goosed!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Khabib has had 6 fights go to decision, 2 submissions, and 2 TKO in the UFC. Both of the subs were in the last round of each fight and one of the tko's was against Horcher who was a late call up and was his first fight in the UFC.

So looking at past fights if he does take McGregor down it's far from over, and I'd imagine he will take him down too.

I think McGregor will win, how I'm not so sure. Prob the way he usually does. The fight is 5 rounds and they all start on the feet.

McGregor by Decision
    Is this a Jon Jones/DC kinda of hatred I wonder? or when the fights over will they make up. I know conor said "there will never be peace" but is that just to sell the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭robwen

McGregor by Sub
    Were those flight attendants in red in the background during the weigh ins?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor by Sub
    so how is everyone approaching this? drinking at normal time and powering through? or a strategic evening sleep and alarm for 3am? energy drinks/coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Is this a Jon Jones/DC kinda of hatred I wonder? or when the fights over will they make up. I know conor said "there will never be peace" but is that just to sell the fight?

Probably to sell the rematch no matter who wins.

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    robwen wrote: »

Yes. Air Asia are sponsors.

McGregor by Sub
    froog wrote: »
    so how is everyone approaching this? drinking at normal time and powering through? or a strategic evening sleep and alarm for 3am? energy drinks/coffee?

I'm picking up a few friends around 10pm and going back to mine. First drink will take place whenever I park my ass on the couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

froog wrote:

Water only, best thing to keep you awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Going for dinner with the Mrs, and some friends, probably drink too much, and try to stay awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

froog wrote:

Probably start drinking at 8:30 this evening watching some stuff I recorded last night, might snooze on the couch from midnight until 2:00, then start drinking again and back to bed when it all ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor by Sub
    so how is everyone approaching this?

Would usually head back to a hosting house straight from a night out, tis usually pretty easy to stay awake. Not drinking tonight though and watching with friends who will have been drinking all day watching rugby :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I read all of the posts saying this fight could be a long one but I just don't see it.
    Conor isn't good on the floor so I expect him to be in big trouble if Khabib takes him down. I've noticed how bad his cardio is when he spends a lot of time on the floor.
    Khabib doesn't ever seen to take a step backwards and that idea is insane against Conor. He will be down and out early if he goes in with that attitude.
    Imo no chance this goes past two rounds, most likely over in the first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would have thought it's genuine from them, or they genuinely don't like each other.

Pretty easy to see why from DC's point of view. Jones messes up, does some pretty bad things, and it's DC who's booed by the fans!!

I remember talking on here that I don't think fighters really get in each other's heads when someone put up a link saying that's exact;y what happened to DC in their first fight. Which makes sense as they had a bit of a scuffle immediately after the bell rung to end that fight.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Conor isn't good on the floor so I expect him to be in big trouble if Khabib takes him down.

On what evidence?
    Against Mendes he had a ****ed knee, but still controlled him fairly well in his guard.
    Against Diaz, he actually hit an X guard sweep , which was impressive in itself.

We haven't really seen his ground game tested properly, tonight we will.

One thing to note though, it's a lot better than people seem to think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

For when Khabib's nose goes flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Going to a friend's for BBQ. Main cardkicks off at 1pm. I love UFC Sunday's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor by Sub
    Just watched the weigh in there.

Serious knacker move in my opinion throwing his fist downward at his and then the kick aswell, no need for it

In saying that I’m putting all the BS aside and praying for the KO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    I understand people thinking this will be a toss up, I always thought Khabib would be his toughest fight but I've completely changed my mind after Khabibs last two fights.

I just cant see anything else but complete domination from Conor, when or if he gets taken down I think he'll surprise most people. I honestly think he'll finish Khabib before the halfway point of round 2.

I don't think any other lightweight beats Khabib though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I don't care if Conor loses this fight but if its because of cardio again ill be disgusted. Please don't gas Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Water only, best thing to keep you awake.

Cocaine says hello my friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Khabib seems to prefer ground & pound to submission attempts but Im wondering will that change tonight- if an opportunity presents itself in the 2nd or 3rd he would be mad not to capitalise given how dangerous McG is on his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I can’t wait for this , all the ****e and crap in between is frustrating but when it’s time for the octagon McGregor brings out excitement like Tyson did back in the day.

I don’t think Khabib will want to ground and pound for 5 rounds after getting a punch from McGregor.
    He will change his mind after getting a smack.

I see Khabib getting rocked pretty quickly here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that McGregor has been gone for two years. No matter how good you are or how much train, coming back from that type of layoff is a huge ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Flew Air Asia a few times last year. Their flight attendants are model grade

5a3a355b4aa6b5f7188b5ec2-750-562.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

darced wrote: »
    I don't care if Conor loses this fight but if its because of cardio again ill be disgusted. Please don't gas Conor.

I will **** on bus tonight if I see the gas face at approx 6 mins 50 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

McGregor by Sub
    Khabib was rocking a nice shiner on his right eye at the closed press conference. The southpaw he was training with obviously sparked him. Whoever he was, I doubt he hits as hard or as fast as Conor does.

Also, I reckon Conor has gone through at least a pallet of baby oil over the last couple of months!
    He'll be as slippery as fish tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

We shall see how well he does!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that McGregor has been gone for two years. No matter how good you are or how much train, coming back from that type of layoff is a huge ask.
    Khabib had a two year layoff in 2016. Came back looking better than ever for what it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub

Ah I wouldn't be too worried about that, he did compete just over a year ago, I know it was a boxing match but still counts and there has been fighters who came back from longer layoffs and looked even better than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

What time will Conor begin his walkout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

McGregor by Sub
    s8n wrote: »
    What time will Conor begin his walkout ?

Anywhere between 4.30 and 5.15 your time. Has to be shownover by 6am

The closer this gets, the less sure I am about who will win.

All I know is that I'm hyped to the last. All fighters made weight, this should be a great night from an objective POV.

I won't be surprised if Khabib beats Conor considering the strengths of Khabib and the absence of McG from UFC for 2 years, but I'll be hoping for the opposite result.

McG by TKO in the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

What time does the card start at??

McGregor by Sub
    Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib had a two year layoff in 2016. Came back looking better than ever for what it's worth.

Yeah but he came back against Darrell ****ing Horcher, and didn't look all that spectacular in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I'll add to the irritating questions, is there any legit way for virgin media customers to watch this? I want to pay but it looks like its completely sewn up by BT? Useless.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    I'll add to the irritating questions, is there any legit way for virgin media customers to watch this? I want to pay but it looks like its completely sewn up by BT? Useless.

Visit a friend who has BT sport's or use their account and stream it.
    Or go to a pub showing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tazzimus wrote: »

Disaster, I'm sure we've always had an option to ppv before? Rare that I'd like to spend money but can't!

McGregor by Sub
    hots wrote: »
    Tazzimus wrote: »

Disaster, I'm sure we've always had an option to ppv before? Rare that I'd like to spend money but can't!
    Not for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Hope mcgregor knocks the bollocks out of him and leaves the bitter Barry’s more sour than their grannies fanny covered in 1943 vinegar sauce

Mod: Banned..lads I gave enough warnings and its in the first post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

McGregor by Sub
    They'll hardly be showing this anywhere in Dublin airport? Have a flight to LA at half 7 so will be there from 4ish and would rather not have to watch it "online" on my laptop if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Duff wrote: »
    They'll hardly be showing this anywhere in Dublin airport? Have a flight to LA at half 7 so will be there from 4ish and would rather not have to watch it "online" on my laptop if possible.

I would've thought the bars in the airport would have BT and would be showing it, pretty sure I've seen EPL games on in the airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

McGregor by Sub
    Duff wrote: »

Should be on, remember someone on here asking the same thing for a different fight as they were flying out. The bar opened at 4 or 5 am and they had the fight on.

Main card 3am

Main card 3am

• Advertisement

Main card 3am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement