Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Mcgregor looks rattled. Going to be a short night for him. Never seen one of his opponents in mma look so confident.

Looked the same as pretty much all his other fights.

It made sense when these media weigh in's weren't just a ceremonial farce and he was actually dehydrated gagging for a bottle of lucozade sport, now it's just WWE style showmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Its a pity we dont get to see proper face offs involving McGregor these days, due to the unpredictability of the man himself of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I see this fight ending in another Herb Dean stoppage controversy - but this time for being too premature. Khabib hammering away at Conor late on, Dean steps in to end it, leaving McGregor and his team unhappy at what they perceive was an early stoppage. Then a narrative forms about how the Dollaway fight must have been playing on Dean's mind and he didn't want to face more flak. McGregor and his camp will then plead for a rematch at MSG.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

McGregor by Sub
    I think McGregor will wobble his head in R1. Guys a different breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Khabib's height advantage isn't that much, it just looks as if it is because Khabib has a funny shaped head.

Seriously, if you discount the elongated top part of his skull, then they're almost the same height.

Their eye level is almost bang on the same.......

oie_G7E3XAeVYHUS-696x392.jpg

• Advertisement

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Conor was wearing heeled shoes, Khabib was wearing trainers.

There's a decent inch and a bit between them.

Won't make a difference when Khabib's mounted him and Conor's looking for a way out all the same.

McGregor by Sub
    Nice try, but nope, if anything Khabib was the one with the pumps at the presser..........

mcgkhabib888.jpg

Won't make a difference when Khabib's mounted him and Conor's looking for a way out all the same.

It'll make a difference when McGrgeor gives his elongated crown a couple of smacks like he did Poirier.

McGregor by Sub
    Preview of tomorrow night's opening video presentation narrated by John Malkovich:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

*Drops into this thread because the other one is a shït show*

*Drops back out again*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

The salaries have been released. Win bonus is in brackets. Tony Ferguson's win bonus is real, it has been confirmed by multiple sources and it is a ridiculous number.

Conor McGregor: $3 million flat

Khabib Nurmagomedov: $2 million flat

Tony Ferguson: $150,000 ($5,000 win bonus)

Anthony Pettis: $145,000 ($145,000 win bonus)

Ovince Saint Preux: $86,000 ($86,000 win bonus)

Dominick Reyes: $45,000 ($45,000 win bonus)

Derrick Lewis: $135,000 ($135,000 win bonus)

Alexander Volkov: $75,000 ($75,000 win bonus)

Michelle Waterson: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Felice Herrig: $40,000 ($40,000 win bonus)

Sergio Pettis: $46,000 ($46,000 win bonus)

Jussier Formiga: $43,000 ($43,000 win bonus)

Vicente Luque: $38,000 ($38,000 win bonus)

Jalin Turner: $10,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

Aspen Ladd: $12,000 ($12,000 win bonus)

Tonya Evinger: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Scott Holtzman: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Alan Patrick: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Lina Lansberg: $20,000 ($20,000 win bonus)

Yana Kunitskaya: $25,000 ($25,000 win bonus)

Gray Maynard: $54,000 ($54,000 win bonus)

Nik Lentz: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Ryan LaFlare: $33,000 ($33,000 win bonus)

Tony Martin: $28,000 ($28,000 win bonus)

• Advertisement

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    cliggg wrote: »
    The salaries have been released. Win bonus is in brackets. Tony Ferguson's win bonus is real, it has been confirmed by multiple sources and it is a ridiculous number.

Conor McGregor: $3 million flat

Khabib Nurmagomedov: $2 million flat

Tony Ferguson: $150,000 ($5,000 win bonus)

Anthony Pettis: $145,000 ($145,000 win bonus)

Ovince Saint Preux: $86,000 ($86,000 win bonus)

Dominick Reyes: $45,000 ($45,000 win bonus)

Derrick Lewis: $135,000 ($135,000 win bonus)

Alexander Volkov: $75,000 ($75,000 win bonus)

Michelle Waterson: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Felice Herrig: $40,000 ($40,000 win bonus)

Sergio Pettis: $46,000 ($46,000 win bonus)

Jussier Formiga: $43,000 ($43,000 win bonus)

Vicente Luque: $38,000 ($38,000 win bonus)

Jalin Turner: $10,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

Aspen Ladd: $12,000 ($12,000 win bonus)

Tonya Evinger: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Scott Holtzman: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Alan Patrick: $30,000 ($30,000 win bonus)

Lina Lansberg: $20,000 ($20,000 win bonus)

Yana Kunitskaya: $25,000 ($25,000 win bonus)

Gray Maynard: $54,000 ($54,000 win bonus)

Nik Lentz: $50,000 ($50,000 win bonus)

Ryan LaFlare: $33,000 ($33,000 win bonus)

Tony Martin: $28,000 ($28,000 win bonus)

If Tony doesn't have at least a tiny PPV point deal this makes no sense. I know Petis' contract is a remnant of when he was champion, but that 5k to win is retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    What is Gray Maynard still doing fighting ffs.

Ferguson is an absolute dweeb but I think, assuming injury has fully healed, he's going to absolutely wreck Pettis. The sort of comeback Pettis needs to even be in the mix at the top of the lightweight division just doesn't happen in combat sports.

Don't have a clue how the main event goes. I'll go McGregor KO in the second but Khabib could easily maul him for all five rounds and win widely on points. Could TKO him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Heart says Conor, but the head says khabib stops him and totally shuts him down if im honest.

It wouldn't shock me if it goes something like DC vs Anthony Johnson or even Miocic vs Ngannou.

But I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisM

Heart says Conor, but the head says khabib stops him and totally shuts him down if im honest.

It wouldn't shock me if it goes something like DC vs Anthony Johnson or even Miocic vs Ngannou.

But I'm really hoping I'm wrong.

I think most of us are with you on that.

I always liked Khabib but his Allah/God thanking has no place in sports ( I feel the same about KT), neither does some of McGs more heated material.
    Neither of them are humble and for that reason I'd love to see an all out war where they can't help but overcome the beef and shake hands after 5 rounds of back/forth while Bruce reads out the decision.....Draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

McGregor by Sub
    Can’t see this going past 2 rounds. McGregor will go to the body with kicks and then spark him with the left, in my opinion.

Khabib has no head movement and when he does get hit he starts swinging wildly in response. I see it going similar to the Alvarez fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Perry12 wrote: »
    Can’t see this going past 2 rounds. McGregor will go to the body with kicks and then spark him with the left, in my opinion.

Khabib has no head movement and when he does get hit he starts swinging wildly in response. I see it going similar to the Alvarez fight

Not sure about the kicks. Giving Khabib a leg wouldn't be the wisest.

Hope you're right though

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McGregor by Sub
    Axwell wrote: »

Were they the official weights? Or ceremonial...

Reason I ask is Khabib down as 155. He must have had 3 lbs on him getting on the scales..

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

McGregor by Sub

If conor throws any kick you can bet your granny khabib will catch his calf or will shoot and tie him up. It will have the same affect as the tired laboured strike he threw against nate and gave up his back in the proocess only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

McGregor by Sub
    walshb wrote: »

Reason I ask is Khabib down as 155. He must have had 3 lbs on him getting on the scales..

Ceremonial. He can be over the limit once official weight he met the limit. He was first in id imagine he would of rehydrated had a nice meal and chilled after the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

All ceremony, real weigh ins were about 7 hours earlier, they had dehydrated at this stage. Some emaciated fighters during real thing. Ferguson was scary looking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Yeah they were ceremonial, the official weigh ins were hours earlier. I'd say he'd already piled on a good few pounds since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    The poll above has Conor McGregory winning at 63%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    parc wrote: »
    McGregor has a 74 inch reach and Khabib has a 70 inch reach...
    Are these threads normally like this?

Barbosa had a 75 inch reach and Khabib had a 70 inch reach. How did that go??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

what time do we estimate this will start ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

McGregor by Sub
    Commanchie wrote: »

If conor throws any kick you can bet your granny khabib will catch his calf or will shoot and tie him up. It will have the same affect as the tired laboured strike he threw against nate and gave up his back in the proocess only worse.

I know it’s dangerous but he used the stabbing kick against Mendes to good effect. Mendes only caught one iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Barboza has no sting to his punches, he relies on kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Draw
    Mcgregor also had an 8 inch reach advantage over Mendes and it didnt stop him getting him to the ground either :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    His wrestling coach Sergey said that Conor's knee kept popping out during single legs in camp and they trained to give up the takedown instead of fighting it too hard and work from the bottom. I knew the injury had a big effect on him that fight but good to hear from Sergey about it.

It's a bit mad how everyone dismisses Conors wrestling from the Chad fight when he had a bad knee injury.

Saying that, I'm sure Khabib will take him down (probably multiple times) but the Chad fight isn't the best example of TDD even though it's the closest comparison you can make.

http://severemma.com/2018/10/conor-mcgregors-wrestling-coach-sergey-pikulskiy-talks-mcgregors-grappling-ahead-of-ufc-229/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Considering Barboza is known for being primarily a kicker, I don't see how this is anyway relevant?
    Khabib knew to pressure Barboza, to crowd him so he didn't have space to start throwing kicks.
    He tries that with Conor and he'll regret it, a lot.

He's not going to stop every take down, but he won't be helpless either, he'll stuff a good few I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    And if/when he gets taken down, he's by no means useless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement