Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing betting thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Matty Askin has drifted out to 9/4 to beat Okolie. Might be reading this fight completely wrong but I'll be having some of that price and will be keeping an eye out for KO odds too. I would make Askin the slight favourite tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

4/1 for Joshua to beat Povetkin via decision, definitely worth a nibble

FTA69 wrote: »
    4/1 for Joshua to beat Povetkin via decision, definitely worth a nibble
    Where you seeing 4/1? That's very good value.

Hard to know how this fight plays out tbh. All depends on if Joshua fights aggressive or conservative. I think he more than likely keeps it at range behind the jab meaning we see rounds alright. Joshua been fighting much safer since the Wlad fight. He could also come out trying to make a statement given recent events and try to bang Povetkin out early. Find it doubtful he'll take that kind of risk though given Povetkin's power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Povetkin is dog sh*t now so I doubt he lasts but he is made of tough stuff and Joshua has gone a little timid as of late. 7/2 is probably the best you can get with a bookie, but the Exchanges will a price bigger than 4/1. Definitely a tempting price. I would be laying Joshua by KO @1.42 if I was to engage in the fight at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,161 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Where are folks pulling this Joshua timid/cautious buzz from?

Since when? Parker pretty much stunk the joint out...

Takam took a beating and AJ gave it to him...

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Dillian Whyte made a bigger dent on Parker than Joshua, and I'm not talking about the headbutt knockdown. I can't remember a single meaningful punch Joshua landed on Parker. Parker was given a raw deal on the cards too, fight was much closer than that...he did anything but stink the gaff out. The Takam fight was meh tbh, when you see Povetkin smashing him and even Chisora having a more impressive win and making far more of a dent it shows just how cautious Joshua has become since Wlad nearly wrecked him.

All the fellas in my gym were insufferable today about it calling me an idiot saying Joshua will tell him immediately, for that alone I hope it goes to the distance.

I got fours at Coral last week but it's at threes now.

walshb wrote: »
    Where are folks pulling this Joshua timid/cautious buzz from?

Since when? Parker pretty much stunk the joint out...

Takam took a beating and AJ gave it to him...

Am I missing something?
    The last two fights have been his slowest pace wise by a mile. Parker didn't help matters to be fair but Joshua could've pressed the issue far more in my opinion. I don't think we see him do what he did in round 4(?) of the Klitschko fight again, coming out like a man possessed looking for the KO. He's far more wary of keeping distance to protect his chin and keeping a consistent pace to protect his gas tank.

There is a serious exaggeration here with AJ and his recent cautious fights...

Vs a retreating and negative Parker he still threw more shots than he did vs Klitschko

Against Takam he threw more shots as well, “beating him up” throughout..

AJs intensity and commitment in those three fights? Three different opponents completely. That will likely see theee differing performances; but all three were the same offensively committed as regards trying and output. Vs Wlad he threw less shots..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dillian Whyte made a bigger dent on Parker than Joshua, and I'm not talking about the headbutt knockdown. I can't remember a single meaningful punch Joshua landed on Parker. Parker was given a raw deal on the cards too, fight was much closer than that...he did anything but stink the gaff out. The Takam fight was meh tbh, when you see Povetkin smashing him and even Chisora having a more impressive win and making far more of a dent it shows just how cautious Joshua has become since Wlad nearly wrecked him.
    Somebody's not a Joshua fan! The only reason White made more of a dent in Parker is because Parker was way more open and aggressive in that fight. He was obviously much more fearful against Joshua and fought defensively to avoid getting whacked.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    There is a serious exaggeration here with AJ and his recent cautious fights...

Vs a retreating and negative Parker he still threw more shots than he did vs Klitschko

Against Takam he threw more shots as well, “beating him up” throughout..

AJs intensity and commitment in those three fights? Three different opponents completely. That will likely see theee differing performances; but all three were the same offensively committed as regards trying and output. Vs Wlad he threw less shots..
    Punch stats are deceiving. He threw less punches in the Wlad fight because he was blowing for half of it till he got his second wind, not because he wasn't fighting aggressive. He's been way more disciplined in his approach since that fight. Obviously opponents have an impact on that but I'd be confident its a conscious decision by Joshua given how hard he gassed out against Klitschko and nearly lost because of it. Controlling the pace of the fight is very important for him.

I think the best odds here are AP at 8/1 for the KO...

Usyk is evens to stop Bellew. Will have a crack off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

FTA69 wrote: »
    Usyk is evens to stop Bellew. Will have a crack off that.

That is a very good price to be fair

Just had a bit on Dillian Whyte to be Joshua's next opponent @ 15/8 with Ladbrokes. That should be odds on I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭langer91

Morrison J wrote: »
    Just had a bit on Dillian Whyte to be Joshua's next opponent @ 15/8 with Ladbrokes. That should be odds on I'd have thought.

Odds already cut to 11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

What’s the odds on Dell Boy?
    Isn’t Whyte fighting him next?

What’s the odds on Dell Boy?
    Isn’t Whyte fighting him next?

66/1. If you give him a chance of beating Whyte it's a great bet.

Lot of money coming in on Ohara Davies this weekend. Fight pretty much a pick em with the bookies now. I think Catterall is a level above to be honest. Davies has the power and Catterall can be hit but I've never seen him react bad to a shot. Think he wins a decision or gets a late stoppage.

On Catterall to win at 10/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Lot of money coming in on Ohara Davies this weekend. Fight pretty much a pick em with the bookies now. I think Catterall is a level above to be honest. Davies has the power and Catterall can be hit but I've never seen him react bad to a shot. Think he wins a decision or gets a late stoppage.

On Catterall to win at 10/11.

I think he's a level above also.

I would strongly fancy Catterall to take this and was very surprised to see those odds.

• Advertisement

Also on

Kiryl Relikh to beat Troyanovsky on points at 9/2. Looks a good value bet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Good shout on Caterall lads, decent win in an awkward fight for me.

Not quite the fight I envisioned but we'll take it.

Still feel Catterall hasn't shown half of what he's capable of yet. He'll always get the better of Davies in a fight like that though. Just the cuter fighter. Couldn't believe the amount of money going in on Davies. Very limited fighter. Anyone with some ability and half a brain beats him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Also on

Kiryl Relikh to beat Troyanovsky on points at 9/2. Looks a good value bet to me.

Well done

This Beterbievev lad.....meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Would anyone know what odds Naoya Inoue was to win the WBSS before yesterday?... Currently best price 4/7, think that's an absolute steal of a price...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

4/6 at the start I think. Was odds on fav anyway.

Robbie Davies Jr to beat Glenn Foot on points at 6/4.

Tevin Farmer on points at 1.8 looks tasty

• Advertisement

Ryan Doyle to beat Jordan Gill @ 6/4.

Will be interested in the round betting odds when they come out too. Think Doyle wins via late stoppage. Gill was absolutely knackered and wobbled a few times against Cunningham down the stretch. This is a 12 round fight and Doyle is a far better pressure fighter than Cunningham. Gill a good fighter in his own right just don't see him having the power to get Doyle out of there early and see him coming unstuck late. Good fight.

Advertisement