Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And if they can't collect the rent (the renter won't pay), would you be happy with the councils evicting the tenants.

i'd have no issue with that. as long as everything is done fairly and transparently.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

However that valuation is still predicated upon your values and your ideals for the future of society, and that’s why I’m asking are there a defined set of objective criteria by which we can determine a standard for which we can evaluate each and every individuals contribution to society

I often find these retreats into post-modernism a good indication that someone hasn't got a good argument. Let me spin this around on you, what positive contribution has Ms Cash made to society (using your ideals and values)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Austria! wrote: »
    I often find these retreats into post-modernism a good indication that someone hasn't got a good argument. Let me spin this around on you, what positive contribution has Ms Cash made to society (using your ideals and values)?

Rest assured it’s not an attempted retreat into post-modernism, quite the opposite in fact as I seek a defined objective standard which nobody can argue with, something which anyone who objects to the idea that Ms. Cash has contributed to society has yet to present. All I’ve seen so far are subjective evaluations of anyone’s contribution to society, and those evaluations are based upon that persons own individual values - the very definition of post-modernist thought.

I’ve already outlined what I feel is the positive contribution Ms. Cash has made to society - she’s had several children. Each of those several children are an addition to society, and by any measure, an addition to something is a contribution to it. The value of anyone’s contribution appears to be what is in dispute here, so I would like to hear anyone’s thoughts on what they feel could even come close to being considered an objective standard which isn’t influenced by any one persons individual standards, but an evaluation which might actually prove useful in determining the value of each and every individuals contribution to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

i'd have no issue with that. as long as everything is done fairly and transparently.

"But while thousands of households are under repeated default warnings every year, only a tiny number of cases are pursued to court and just a handful of evictions are sought as councils are also responsible for housing people if they become homeless."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-tenants-owe-65m-in-unpaid-rent-437052.html

It's a real catch 22

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

i personally don't believe that there is an entitlement culture. i believe that there are people who have a sense of entitlement,

It's pretty obvious that there is an entitlement culture , everything for nothing and everything now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    "But while thousands of households are under repeated default warnings every year, only a tiny number of cases are pursued to court and just a handful of evictions are sought as councils are also responsible for housing people if they become homeless."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-tenants-owe-65m-in-unpaid-rent-437052.html

It's a real catch 22

Unless I am misunderstanding something I don't understand why the rent could not be taken from a social welfare payment . In this day of shared information and technology it can't be rocket science to take payments for rent from the source of income ?

mfceiling wrote: »
    It's probably going to be quite difficult to find a large enough house with enough bedrooms in the area she wants to house her and her 7 children.
    Are there many 5 or 6 bed homes in Tallaght available to rent? Obviously they also must be close to the kids school because Ms Cash can't be expected to walk very far with that amount of children in tow.
    Are the government building enough 5, 6 or 7 bedroom social houses for families like Ms Cash?
    It might be worth interviewing her to find out if she intends to add to the 7 kids she has.
    A 6 bed social home may be of no use to her in a few years if she has a few more kids.

Next to no 5-6 beds rentals in tallaght let alone social housing ,here is the this in a few short years she could have more kids but there is a possibility she won't and she eventually ends up living alone in a 6 bed house while demands separate housing for the now over 18 kids and a house for her married daughter ,
    She doesn't walk with her children she has a 7 seater she drives ,
    The public transport excuse she talked about recently is bs

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Unless I am misunderstanding something I don't understand why the rent could not be taken from a social welfare payment .

It can be but the majority don't want to have it stopped at source ,
    And there is a limit that can be taken from a welfare payment if I'm correct.
    And remember sinn fein are pushing for a law that stops Evictions into homelessness ,so tell your council that your no longer willing to pay rent the tenant will never be able to evicted the same applies to normal tenant's

• Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gatling wrote: »
    It can be but the majority don't want to have it stopped at source ,
    And there is a limit that can be taken from a welfare payment if I'm correct.
    And remember sinn fein are pushing for a law that stops Evictions into homelessness ,so tell your council that your no longer willing to pay rent the tenant will never be able to evicted the same applies to normal tenant's

I don't understand the reason " they don't want it stopped at source ? " Maybe I don't want my tax stopped at source but its not my choice to make . If a rent is agreed and the tenent is not paying it I cannot understand any Government pandering to that attitude .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I’ve already outlined what I feel is the positive contribution Ms. Cash has made to society - she’s had several children. Each of those several children are an addition to society, and by any measure, an addition to something is a contribution to it. The value of anyone’s contribution appears to be what is in dispute here, so I would like to hear anyone’s thoughts on what they feel could even come close to being considered an objective standard which isn’t influenced by any one persons individual standards, but an evaluation which might actually prove useful in determining the value of each and every individuals contribution to society.

Why do we need an objective standard before we're allowed to say that she has made a negative contribution, but you're happy to say that that her children are a positive contribution without any objective standard?

What about Hitler for example, are you happy to say he made a negative contribution or do you need an objective standard first for him too?

And if we can't have an objective standard, does that mean that you concede that she isn't working, is an economic burden, refuses to take responsibility, was uncivil on classic hits (this list can get a lot longer), but you just don't concede these things are negative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

NIMAN wrote: »
    People need to be challenged on this nonsense.

I'd not have been able to contain myself.
    Would love for some TD to come out and say you have to pay your way in life, and if you emerge from school illiterate and antisocial, then, that is on YOUR parents.

Where were Margaret's parents when she decided to get "married" while still a child. Remember, this happened when she was around 16. 12 years ago. So 2006.

Not 1956.

The govt has failed to provide housing. A massive failure. But every marginalised adult should realise their parent's significant culpability in their lot.

We are far too easy on sh1t parenting in Ireland. We created a "race" where being feckless and abusive is a touchstone. And we are too cowardly to say so.

b]I don't understand the reason " they don't want it stopped at source ? "[/b] Maybe I don't want my tax stopped at source but its not my choice to make . If a rent is agreed and the tenent is not paying it I cannot understand any Government pandering to that attitude .

I don’t understand why Gatling put it forward as a legitimate explanation either, nor do I understand what any limitation that can be taken from a persons social welfare payment has to do with how much they either receive or contribute themselves towards the full payment of their rent, nor do I understand what Sinn Féin’s latest hair brained proposals have to do with explaining what anyone currently does or doesn’t contribute from their income towards their rent.

In simpler terms, there are various qualifying criteria which are used to determine how much a person is entitled to receive as a contribution towards their rent, and rent allowance which was once paid directly to the tenant is now being phased out in favour of the HAP scheme, which aims to pay a contribution towards the rent, based upon the current market value rate of rental accommodation and the number dependents a claimant has who are also currently residing in the property with them (there are other criteria but I’m trying to keep this simple as possible).

The idea is to encourage people into private rental accommodation rather than have them apply for council properties (as has been pointed out numerous times, councils simply don’t have enough properties to accommodate everyone on the housing list).

However, because private rental accommodation is often beyond the limits that the council have set down as the maximum payment for the type of accommodation and the number of people (a family with two adults and four children for example will likely receive a larger contribution to their rent than a single person with no dependents), and the shortfall must be made up from tenants own income, whether that income be from employment or from their social welfare payment - there is no limit to the amount they may choose to contribute, but there is a limit to the amount the council will pay directly to the landlord under the HAP scheme (unless in exceptional circumstances, which are again dependent upon various criteria).

This is the explanation why some tenants may go into arrears with their rent, because they aren’t paying their contribution towards the rent. It’s that simple, nothing really to do either with how much they receive in welfare payments, or whether or not they want it stopped at source - they too have no choice in the matter in terms of how much is actually paid at source by the council, and it is actually the council is their landlord (unless they are paying their rent to a housing organisation who are acting as their landlord on behalf of the council), so any contributions they are obligated to make are paid directly to the council (or to the housing organisation).

How they choose to pay their contribution may be either by weekly standing order from their bank account, or by paying directly in cash at their local council housing department (or housing organisations offices or in some cases to agents of the housing organisations). There are other ways to pay too of course but those are generally the most common methods, and if they choose to pay no contribution, then they risk being evicted from the property for non-payment of rent.

I don't understand the reason " they don't want it stopped at source ? "

It's likely because they maintain control over when and how much rent they pay ,
    For instance if they are saving for a holiday or car they can simply stop paying rent for a number of months save the money and then carry on as normal

I don’t understand why Gatling put it forward as a legitimate explanation either, nor do I understand what any limitation that can be taken from a persons social welfare payment

It's actually really simple stuff ,

But unfortunately some people try to hard to understand people and entitlement

Austria! wrote: »
    Why do we need an objective standard before we're allowed to say that she has made a negative contribution, but you're happy to say that that her children are a positive contribution without any objective standard?

An objective standard is one which is not determined by any individuals standards, so with an objective standard, we could objectively evaluate each individuals contribution to society in order to determine according to a set criteria whether or not their overall contribution to society is either a positive contribution which has added value, or whether it is a negative contribution which is of no value to society. That way, it wouldn’t matter whether I think having children is a positive contribution to society, and you think it isn’t, as the same criteria would apply in all cases, and not just to individual cases according to our individual standards.

What about Hitler for example, are you happy to say he made a negative contribution or do you need an objective standard first for him too?

Yes, we need an objective standard to determine the value of his contribution to society too. In a society where people get their knickers in knots about world overpopulation, Hitlers methods for culling the population weren’t particularly efficient, not sure if his intentions were all that good either, but did he contribute to society by culling the population of Europe? Objectively he did cull the population, but whether or not his contribution to society had either a positive or negative effect on society is an entirely subjective matter of opinion as opposed to an objective standard by which there could be no argument as to whether or not the value of his contribution to society was either positive or negative.

And if we can't have an objective standard, does that mean that you concede that she isn't working, is an economic burden, refuses to take responsibility, was uncivil on classic hits (this list can get a lot longer), but you just don't concede these things are negative?

I don’t agree with your framing of the question as it’s based entirely upon your standards, and that’s why we do need an objective standard, so that we can evaluate each an every individuals value of their contributions to society. There are thousands upon thousands of people in Irish society alone who aren’t working, are an economic burden, refuse to take responsibility, and are generally uncivil to just about everyone, and each and every one of them (those with the mental faculties to perform self-evaluation of course) consider themselves to be a valuable member of society. So that’s why we need an objective standard, to determine whether or not they are actually of any value to society, and if they aren’t, what then should be done with them?

Hitler May have been a gas man for his ideas, but I’m still hoping soylent green is in the running? Humans are a great source of nutrition and there’s a sustainable supply too, and the cost of producing them is free?

Fcuk it, I forgot about vegans. Can we just turn them into soylent green? At least they’ll know they made a valuable contribution to society by keeping the rest of us alive? That is of course if they consider keeping the rest of us carnivorous types alive is a valuable contribution to society...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

An objective standard is one which is not determined by any individuals standards, so with an objective standard, we could objectively evaluate each individuals contribution to society in order to determine according to a set criteria whether or not their overall contribution to society is either a positive contribution which has added value, or whether it is a negative contribution which is of no value to society. That way, it wouldn’t matter whether I think having children is a positive contribution to society, and you think it isn’t, as the same criteria would apply in all cases, and not just to individual cases according to our individual standards.

Yes, we need an objective standard to determine the value of his contribution to society too. In a society where people get their knickers in knots about world overpopulation, Hitlers methods for culling the population weren’t particularly efficient, not sure if his intentions were all that good either, but did he contribute to society by culling the population of Europe? Objectively he did cull the population, but whether or not his contribution to society had either a positive or negative effect on society is an entirely subjective matter of opinion as opposed to an objective standard by which there could be no argument as to whether or not the value of his contribution to society was either positive or negative.

I don’t agree with your framing of the question as it’s based entirely upon your standards, and that’s why we do need an objective standard, so that we can evaluate each an every individuals value of their contributions to society. There are thousands upon thousands of people in Irish society alone who aren’t working, are an economic burden, refuse to take responsibility, and are generally uncivil to just about everyone, and each and every one of them (those with the mental faculties to perform self-evaluation of course) consider themselves to be a valuable member of society. So that’s why we need an objective standard, to determine whether or not they are actually of any value to society, and if they aren’t, what then should be done with them?

Hitler May have been a gas man for his ideas, but I’m still hoping soylent green is in the running? Humans are a great source of nutrition and there’s a sustainable supply too, and the cost of producing them is free?

Fcuk it, I forgot about vegans. Can we just turn them into soylent green? At least they’ll know they made a valuable contribution to society by keeping the rest of us alive? That is of course if they consider keeping the rest of us carnivorous types alive is a valuable contribution to society...

From my observation of the latest exchanges you ve been having the clear issue is with worldview and perspective. You are looking at it from a bio psycho social perspective which recognizes the multiple truths that exist subjectively based on every individual's unique perspective which of course is entirely the consequence of the aforementioned biopsychosocial make up that we all have inherited by our good or/and not so good fortune. Those you are arguing with just think she's a Cnut end of. Bridging the gap between these essentially polorised positions will be main stumbling block on this thread and unfortunately also the main stumbling block in this ridiculously binary world we've arrived at.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    From my observation of the latest exchanges you ve been having the clear issue is with worldview and perspective. You are looking at it from a bio psycho social perspective which recognizes the multiple truths that exist subjectively based on every individual's unique perspective which of course is entirely the consequence of the aforementioned biopsychosocial make up that we all have inherited by our good or/and not so good fortune. Those you are arguing with just think she's a Cnut end of. Bridging the gap between these essentially polorised positions will be main stumbling block on this thread and unfortunately also the main stumbling block in this ridiculously binary world we've arrived at.

^^ Promote that man :D

(unless you’re a vegan working in the public sector... then I’d like to invite you over for dinner)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

War and Peace would be a doddle compared to the high falutin garbage of the last few pages.

Lol that's some serious amount of keystrokes and big word's ,
    Which amounted to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

mattser wrote: »
    War and Peace would be a doddle compared to the high falutin garbage of the last few pages.
    Jaysus, I’ve all the posts at the top of this page on ignore.

I’d imagine they are castigating the self-entitled, ranting, gimme, gimme, gimme parasite. Not for her conduct up to the Boylan interview but for exposing herself so much that even her apologists can’t find a way to defend her any further!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Gubberment

Meet Maggie mcdonagh

its a terrible thing to say that we cant be left alone on the ballyfin road we bother no one i have 2 girls 1 is 4 and 1 is 12 and 7 gran kids the gran kids never really here 2 girls never really out side and all the people living here talking about us oh travellers living there what right have they to bring a caravan in there first time we applied for planning permission got refused ,reason been objection was house was to fancy for the road 4 people names was giving then we appealed it Bord pleanala extra money, then was granted that was grand dident start to do anything had a rented house in lynden court for 6 years landlord decided to sell so that ment we had to move which we had to get a caravan put it on the site a few weeks later complaints start going in letter from council believe there was unauthorised building was taking place now this was well after we got granted, notice was on the site and the electric pole for ages so the people on the ballyfin road had to see it someone from the council came out a woman checked every where every corner left nothing out she said i will get back to you tomorrow she said so that was ok a few days passed then a little over a week passed still nothing so i rang a few times eventually got her oh ye everything is in place except for the caravan or challet what i call it ye need planning permission for that so then i asked her why she took so long getting back to me oh couldent find the original plans which was bull she was only trying to find something wrong but she couldent so to be honest i did ask her i said to her if you had found a problem you would have rang me back straight away thats why you dident ring me back because you knew i was telling the truth so when that dident work the guards was up and down every day for silly things , we had a party then they would come down open the gates walking straight in any time they felt like it turn down the music people is complaining ok we do that then they would still drive up and down people walking up and down ovbiously its a free road or path but steering in at us and talking put that much stress we where going to sell really knew then it was all down to discrimination because we are travellers ,why ? who are we to live here , who are we to have our own place so even when travellers dont do wrong try your best to get on with people we are still discriminated and all these people go to church ,have families with problems i done a bit of research and a few of them where not perfect but thats there buisness just making a point know one is perfect so just to let them know we are not moving or dont intend to so they can like it or not and im not bodered if they do or dont if thats the way they want to act been evil well thats there choice but they will be judged some day for what they are doing whether they go to church or dont thy shall not bare false statements against your neighbour i hope someone can show them this even if they dont see this like i said we all have to go up or down some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Meet Maggie mcdonagh

its a terrible thing to say that we cant be left alone on the ballyfin road we bother no one i have 2 girls 1 is 4 and 1 is 12 and 7 gran kids the gran kids never really here 2 girls never really out side and all the people living here talking about us oh travellers living there what right have they to bring a caravan in there first time we applied for planning permission got refused ,reason been objection was house was to fancy for the road 4 people names was giving then we appealed it Bord pleanala extra money, then was granted that was grand dident start to do anything had a rented house in lynden court for 6 years landlord decided to sell so that ment we had to move which we had to get a caravan put it on the site a few weeks later complaints start going in letter from council believe there was unauthorised building was taking place now this was well after we got granted, notice was on the site and the electric pole for ages so the people on the ballyfin road had to see it someone from the council came out a woman checked every where every corner left nothing out she said i will get back to you tomorrow she said so that was ok a few days passed then a little over a week passed still nothing so i rang a few times eventually got her oh ye everything is in place except for the caravan or challet what i call it ye need planning permission for that so then i asked her why she took so long getting back to me oh couldent find the original plans which was bull she was only trying to find something wrong but she couldent so to be honest i did ask her i said to her if you had found a problem you would have rang me back straight away thats why you dident ring me back because you knew i was telling the truth so when that dident work the guards was up and down every day for silly things , we had a party then they would come down open the gates walking straight in any time they felt like it turn down the music people is complaining ok we do that then they would still drive up and down people walking up and down ovbiously its a free road or path but steering in at us and talking put that much stress we where going to sell really knew then it was all down to discrimination because we are travellers ,why ? who are we to live here , who are we to have our own place so even when travellers dont do wrong try your best to get on with people we are still discriminated and all these people go to church ,have families with problems i done a bit of research and a few of them where not perfect but thats there buisness just making a point know one is perfect so just to let them know we are not moving or dont intend to so they can like it or not and im not bodered if they do or dont if thats the way they want to act been evil well thats there choice but they will be judged some day for what they are doing whether they go to church or dont thy shall not bare false statements against your neighbour i hope someone can show them this even if they dont see this like i said we all have to go up or down some day.

Christ I can't read that???? Any gaps or full stops.

It's a sea of words all jumbled up.

Is this Maggie

Meet Maggie mcdonagh

I know it wasn’t related to this particular post, but what you posted earlier seems like an accurate summary of the above -

Lol that's some serious amount of keystrokes and big word's ,
    Which amounted to nothing

I’m just not seeing your point in posting that wall of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Dannyriver wrote: »
    From my observation of the latest exchanges you ve been having the clear issue is with worldview and perspective. You are looking at it from a bio psycho social perspective which recognizes the multiple truths that exist subjectively based on every individual's unique perspective which of course is entirely the consequence of the aforementioned biopsychosocial make up that we all have inherited by our good or/and not so good fortune..

Please tell me that I'm not the only cabbage on this thread that hasn't got a feckin clue what any of that means

I’m just not seeing your point in posting that wall of text.

I just introduced Maggie the rest is her own statement ,

You can fix her statement with proper punctuation,full stops, comma's,etc,etc ,etc

If it helps

Paulzx wrote: »
    Please tell me that I'm not the only cabbage on this thread that hasn't got a feckin clue what any of that means

I think it was an attempt to kiss another poster arse by using words from a dictionary supose it's better than a couple of pages

Christ I can't read that???? Any gaps or full stops.

Is this Maggie

Unfortunately yes this is Maggie and unfortunately no gaps or full stops ,

Again it's not me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Meet Maggie mcdonagh

And......

• Advertisement

I just introduced Maggie the rest is her own statement ,

You can fix her statement with proper punctuation,full stops, comma's,etc,etc ,etc

If it helps

I read it just fine, and yours, though I’m leaning more towards giving you the benefit of the doubt that your syntax errors were a deliberate attempt at irony rather than the result of a poor education or some form of learning or cognitive disability.

I’m still not sure what point you were attempting to make in introducing her to the discussion as you made no comment one way or the other on what you pasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement