Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

ELM327 wrote: »
    I actually have Oppositional Defiance Disorder and I tell you it's not something to laugh at. The problem is when everyone and their brother is diagnosed with it because they misbehave at school.

My ODD is comorbid with ASD and severe anxiety.

Here's what ODD has done to my life:
    Effects of Oppositional Defiant Disorder

It is vital for parents to seek help for their child before the problems become severe and lead to complications in their lives. Children who do not receive treatment and support for their ODD may suffer from long-lasting effects. Such effects can include:
    • Social isolation
    • Lack of friendships
    • An inability to develop meaningful relationships
    • Difficulty in educational settings
    If the disorder remains untreated, the following effects can result in adults when they have not received the proper help required to manage their symptoms of ODD:
    • Ongoing patterns of relationship conflicts
    • Trying to control others
    • Unable to “let go” of grudges / having difficulty forgiving
    • Arguing with authority figures that can result in negative consequences, such as bei

No offence meant Elm, I'm still learning more about what's on the spectrum - it's definitely tied to my nephew's autism, you literally cannot tell him to do anything he does not want to.

Like the other poster, it's definitely being used unscrupulously.

Thank you for educating me further, it's much appreciated! Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Apropos of nothing really but getting the LUAS home yesterday there were protestors travelling home - one came out with the gem of "it's inhuman to have to pay for housing, it's a right"

Jesus wept.

People need to be challenged on this nonsense.

I'd not have been able to contain myself.

NIMAN wrote: »
    People need to be challenged on this nonsense.

I'd not have been able to contain myself.

I rolled my eyes so hard I nearly had a seizure!!

As I went to get off, the wagon told me "go the other way" as she didn't want to move from the LUAS doorway!

What a madam!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Apropos of nothing really but getting the LUAS home yesterday there were protestors travelling home - one came out with the gem of "it's inhuman to have to pay for housing, it's a right"

Jesus wept.

:D brilliant no but seriously that's so depressing ,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

One of the protesters yesterday was griping about having to pay €45 a week rent. She seemed to be expecting a home for free!

i have no doubt, but she can gripe away, she will have to pay or she won't get to stay.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

i have no doubt, but she can gripe away, she will have to pay or she won't get to stay.

I'd love if my mortgage cost €45 a week,the same one probably spends more a week on takeaways.

The entitlement culture is scary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

"Gripe away or you wont stay":D, placard gold there

:D brilliant no but seriously that's so depressing ,

One lad - braver than me, but that might be cos he looked like Rory Best! - told one of them that her poster was spelled wrong!

Erm, yeah that is complete nonsense.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-tenants-owe-65m-in-unpaid-rent-437052.html

• Advertisement

The entitlement culture is scary.

i personally don't believe that there is an entitlement culture. i believe that there are people who have a sense of entitlement, however they exist across the spectrum from workers to wellfare.
    some of that tiny minority are very vocal and they end up getting most of the air time.

the councils have an obligation to collect the rent that is owed to them, and they must do so or be forced to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

I rolled my eyes so hard I nearly had a seizure!!

As I went to get off, the wagon told me "go the other way" as she didn't want to move from the LUAS doorway!

What a madam!!!!!!!

Should have Volleyed her in the fanny

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

are you for real? as far as I can figure out herself plus whole family leeching on working part of our society. If you believe that is a 'contribution'.... God help us

I’m very much for real, which is why I made the point that she has indeed contributed to society by having children. The “working part” of society as you put it is but one single aspect of society as a whole. Society is not defined simply in terms of who is or is not employed, and the future of a society, whether you like it or not, is based upon whether or not people are having children. It doesn’t matter how hard you as an individual choose to work when it is essentially for nothing as if there were no children, there would be no future generations and society would no longer be a society, it would die out, and your labour will have been for nothing.

emeldc wrote: »
    It is yea. We should all give up work, go on the dole, apply for HAP and then ride ourselves sideways and have loads more kids and get the Government to pay for it all. But wait. If we've all given up work there'll be no tax's, so no dole, no Hap because no one is 'contributing'. But we'll all have contributed to society by having sh1t loads of kids.
    WTF kind of twisted logic have you got at all.

Your own logic appears to be lacking, as at no point have I ever suggested anyone do any such thing. Your point is little more than a hyperbolic nonsensical reaction to something which was never even suggested. As I pointed out above, society is not simply defined by people in employment, it is made up of all the members of that society, whom if they decided weren’t going to have children, then that society would simply die out, and what will you have been working for?

The truth is of course that you choose to work primarily for your own benefit, rather than any imaginary moral responsibility you feel you have towards anyone else in society. You have every right to claim your labour is your contribution to society, but it is not the only way to measure a persons contribution to society, and that’s why I posed the initial question as to how people are measuring the value of anyone’s contribution to society.

gwalk wrote: »
    Should have Volleyed her in the fanny

she rightly didn't as she would be up on an asalt charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There could be society of machines so you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Jesus wept.

The fact that they were able to attend the march indicates the level of free time they have....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

or an assault charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

You want vinegar as well ??

The fact that they were able to attend the march indicates the level of free time they have....

not really. as often said, not everyone works 9 to 5, so it's possible for working people to attend a protest/march.

gwalk wrote: »
    or an assault charge

Ooh that's worse!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I’m very much for real, which is why I made the point that she has indeed contributed to society by having children.

Well adjusted children that will do good things for society contribute to society. Children which grow up to leech off society are a burden.
    Ms Cash has been a burden, and it is highly likely her children will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Austria! wrote: »
    Well adjusted children that will do good things for society contribute to society. Children which grow up to leech off society are a burden.

wouldn't say it better by myself , right to the point, kudos

+1

Dear God, how can anyone legitimately believe that breeding wastrels and criminals of the future is "contributing to society" ????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There are some on here who are claiming that just because Ms Cash is thick as pig sh1t and a drain on society, that doesn't mean her 7 kids (so far) will be.

Of course that is technically correct, as its years in the future, but considering their family upbringing of having 2 criminals for parents, and living in a 'culture' that puts no importance on education, we can only assume that the odds are against most/all of them being fine upstanding members of society contributing through legally earned taxes.

Would love to return to his family in 20 years and see what they are all up to. RTE should mark that down as a TO DO documentary in the future. I don't even want any royalties from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

NIMAN wrote: »
    There are some on here who are claiming that just because Ms Cash is thick as pig sh1t and a drain on society, that doesn't mean her 7 kids (so far) will be.

Of course that is technically correct, as its years in the future, but considering their family upbringing of having 2 criminals for parents, and living in a 'culture' that puts no importance on education, we can only assume that the odds are against most/all of them being fine upstanding members of society contributing through legally earned taxes.

Would love to return to his family in 20 years and see what they are all up to. RTE should mark that down as a TO DO documentary in the future. I don't even want any royalties from it!

I’ve a niggling feeling that their forever home will be Mountjoy prison

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Without getting into eugenics territory, IQ has a strong genetic element. As does dyslexia and other learning difficulties. And if the parents are badly educated and borderline illiterate, then the kids are not going to develop well in those areas.

I think you are saying the same as Jim Jeffries below.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's probably going to be quite difficult to find a large enough house with enough bedrooms in the area she wants to house her and her 7 children.
    Are there many 5 or 6 bed homes in Tallaght available to rent? Obviously they also must be close to the kids school because Ms Cash can't be expected to walk very far with that amount of children in tow.
    Are the government building enough 5, 6 or 7 bedroom social houses for families like Ms Cash?
    It might be worth interviewing her to find out if she intends to add to the 7 kids she has.
    A 6 bed social home may be of no use to her in a few years if she has a few more kids.
    I wonder what happens then? She obviously isn't interested in providing for herself and has full intention of taking every benefit that is available. Is there a 10 bed social house available near tallaght?
    Maybe one of the larger houses on Ailesbury Road might be suitable? Actually scrap that idea...getting her kids to school from Ballsbridge wouldn't suit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

the councils have an obligation to collect the rent that is owed to them, and they must do so or be forced to do so.

And if they can't collect the rent (the renter won't pay), would you be happy with the councils evicting the tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I came across a video today Ms Cash saying it is because of Eoghan Murphy and the Government that she has mental health issues.

Am I missing something or is the Government not the reason she has somewhere to live and that she can get free treatment for these issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This is my point. Your valuation of a persons contribution to society above is an entirely subjective one. At it’s core is essentially the type of society which conforms to your ideas of well-adjusted children that do good things for society.

I completely agree with you that children who grow up to leech off society are a burden, but my point is again that we may have very different valuations on how we determine who is leeching off society, and if I were to be honest, a lot of the comments in this thread are indications of maladjusted individuals who are leeches on society and I would hope for society’s sake that their children grow up to be nothing like them. That is of course the maladjusted individuals who have chosen to have children; the maladjusted individuals who have chosen not to have children are no threat to the future of society as their values will generally tend to die out when they do.

According to your valuation then, Ms. Cash has been a burden, and by that same valuation then of course it stands to reason that you could reasonably assume her children too will be a burden. However that valuation is still predicated upon your values and your ideals for the future of society, and that’s why I’m asking are there a defined set of objective criteria by which we can determine a standard for which we can evaluate each and every individuals contribution to society, and whether or not they actually are either a burden to society, or whether their contributions are of any value to society.

People who choose to work, as I pointed out earlier, are primarily working for themselves, and it is disingenuous for anyone to claim that their primary motivation for working is to contribute to society, while at the same time lamenting the existence in society of people who they feel are not contributing to society in the same way as they do.

Those people who complain about anyone else’s contribution to society are a leech on society themselves, because their argument is entirely based upon what they feel is their contribution to society. Other people may well disagree with their evaluation, and point out that their contribution isn’t worth nearly as much to society as those people imagine it should be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement