Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Remember putting the metal studs on the heel of the shoes ..Thinking your dead cool listening to the clicking noise with that cool walk that went with them

we were, on a pair of george webbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Remember putting the metal studs on the heel of the shoes ..Thinking your dead cool listening to the clicking noise with that cool walk that went with them

I have seen/heard this only this week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

were they the ones with the woven effect

-OSQQOBWQ.jpg

were they the ones with the woven effect

Can’t find image on google but they were noisy as fcuk and had a criss/cross pattern

• Advertisement

Sorry bit hit an miss with the images

Sorry bit hit an miss with the images

At least you post them! I give up trying to do that on my phone! :D

I had a pair i loved them ..looked well with a pair off white socks

I had a pair i loved them ..looked well with a pair off white socks

towely ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

You were fancy if you had a landline, or cable tv! Kids loved getting the Argos catalogue cos you could see all the toys you wouldnt get from Santa. Your pencil case had your favourite cartoon displayed on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

twirlagig, I was born in '73 and remember much of what you said. The fancy pages had the Pierrot clown on them with the teardrop. I was also was obsessed with Smash Hits and Madonna :)

The argos catalogue was the smartphone of the 80s brought it to bed every evening looking at the toys and what not

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    twirlagig, I was born in '73 and remember much of what you said. The fancy pages had the Pierrot clown on them with the teardrop. I was also was obsessed with Smash Hits and Madonna :)

God, that is SO long ago!
    Pierrot.. I had it wrong!

The argos catalogue was the smartphone of the 80s brought it to bed every evening looking at the toys and what not

Every time a new Argos catalogue came out I tried my very best to get to my nearest Argos on its launch day ... I remember one time I got about ten for friends/family and brought them out in a shopping trolley to the car! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

twirlagig wrote: »
    Never had it in our house but a friend used to... I couldn’t stop myself picking it! Like spots, I guess... you know you shouldn’t but you can’t stop yourself! :D

some of those paints contained asbestos, so i wouldn't be picking it too much!:eek:

some of those paints contained asbestos, so i wouldn't be picking it too much!:eek:

Too late now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

magick wrote: »
    You were fancy if you had a landline

Do you remember when you ordered a landline it could take a few years before it was installed?

An uncle of mine went to work in the States for a few years, prob back in the late 70s, early 80s and he was telling us a story where he went into the local telecom shop(At&T or whatever it was called back then) and they asked him what colour phone he wanted, he went home with it, plugged it in and was making calls straight away. We had our mouths open listening to his story.

We really were quite backward when you think about it.

Thankfully, not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

CFlat wrote: »
    Do you remember when you ordered a landline it could take a few years before it was installed?

An uncle of mine went to work in the States for a few years, prob back in the late 70s, early 80s and he was telling us a story where he went into the local telecom shop(At&T or whatever it was called back then) and they asked him what colour phone he wanted, he went home with it, plugged it in and was making calls straight away. We had our mouths open listening to his story.

We really were quite backward when you think about it.

Thankfully, not anymore.

We got our first landline in our Council House around 1982. My granny had one in her Council House, that she had bought, for as long as I can remember. When we got ours, it was after at least a year and when we called relatives in England, the call still had to go through an Operator.:eek: But during the 80s, it started to change very quickly in my part of Dublin with the introduction of exchanges once Telecom Eireann came about. Direct dialling to the world!

magick wrote: »
    You were fancy if you had a landline, or cable tv! Kids loved getting the Argos catalogue cos you could see all the toys you wouldnt get from Santa. Your pencil case had your favourite cartoon displayed on them

Argos???? In Ireland in the 70s and 80s???? Nope. The first Argos I ever saw was in Norwich in 1982. The second was in Liverpool the same year. Argos didn't arrive in Ireland until the 90s.

Air India Flight 182 off the coast of Ireland in 1985. Stuck in my head as it was so close to home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

buying 5 spots in the countess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Argos???? In Ireland in the 70s and 80s???? Nope. The first Argos I ever saw was in Norwich in 1982. The second was in Liverpool the same year. Argos didn't arrive in Ireland until the 90s.

They surely mean family album or oxendales, they must be going senile in their old age 😀😀😀

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

High profile Garda manhunts that usually ended with a shootout in some remote rural location. Mad Dog Dominic Mcglinchy. Dessie O Hare the Border Fox. The Don Tidey kidnapping.

High profile Garda manhunts that usually ended with a shootout in some remote rural location. Mad Dog Dominic Mcglinchy. Dessie O Hare the Border Fox. The Don Tidey kidnapping.

Dr Herrema kidnapping in monesterevin, that was some drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Grandeeod wrote: »

Nope, they were in the North in the mid to late 1980's. I remember picking Santa presents out of them as early as around 1985/86, so that my parents could then smuggle them back over the border

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember that time of mad dog, I was living in Shannon at the time.

He used to go across to the Shannon Knights for a pint,then walk back to his hideout.

There's still a bullet hole on the signpost after that shootout.

His two sons used to live in Tradaree in Shannon.
    Declan and Dominic.
    Some family from the north were minding them.

Poor kids they didn't have it easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Dr Herrema kidnapping in monesterevin, that was some drama.

I'm too young to remember that but the Dessie O Hare case had the country hooked, there were all twists and turns. John O'Gradys severed finger being found in a plastic bag in a church,the threatening letter and recorded message to the press by O Hare, the shootout in County Cork where the gang got away. The capture of O Hare in the final shootout where one of his gang was killed.

I'm too young to remember that but the Dessie O Hare case had the country hooked, there were all twists and turns. John O'Gradys severed finger being found in a plastic bag in a church,the threatening letter and recorded message to the press by O Hare, the shootout in County Cork where the gang got away. The capture of O Hare in the final shootout where one of his gang was killed.

I remember passing a forest where he was supposed to be hiding at the time. I kept a close watch on case there were bullets flying. I was around 10 when Herrema was kidnapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    They surely mean family album or oxendales, they must be going senile in their old age ������

Scanning Family Album for bikini or shower shots.

• Advertisement

Nope, they were in the North in the mid to late 1980's. I remember picking Santa presents out of them as early as around 1985/86, so that my parents could then smuggle them back over the border

The North doesn't count.:D If there was one in Newry, I don't remember it.

Advertisement