Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Patww79 wrote: »
    You're thinking of the Galaxy S4 era. Samsungs skin is easily one of the best on Android now.
    No I have used it and it's not a patch on vanilla android. I don't want all the samsung apps and sh1t. A clean version of android as it was intended to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

No I have used it and it's not a patch on vanilla android. I don't want all the samsung apps and sh1t. A clean version of android as it was intended to be.

Why not buy a different phone then? It's like wanting a blue car and then buying a red one to spray it blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Slap Nova launcher on it and disable all the Samsung apps and it doesn't really matter about the skin anyway.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Why not buy a different phone then? It's like wanting a blue car and then buying a red one to spray it blue.
    The Galaxy has the best hardware at the price I am paying.

The Galaxy has the best hardware at the price I am paying.

And you're going to negate some of it (the camera for a start) by putting a custom ROM on it.

• Advertisement

Does the likes of CameraZoom not make full use out of the camera hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Anyone know how to change the touch sensitivity on the screen?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anyone know how to change the touch sensitivity on the screen?

Settings > Advanced features > touch sensitivity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Davy wrote: »
    Settings > Advanced features > touch sensitivity

Thaaaaaaaank you, could not find it anywhere

Is there a known Bluetooth issue with this phone?
    It will connect to my car kit for calls but not for media, which all my other phones did.
    And it will only sync with certain Bluetooth speakers, there's relatively new Sony and Philips speakers that it won't sync with. Frustrating...

Anyone?

• Advertisement

Never heard tell of any issues with Bluetooth. The Mrs' one connected to her old car and to her new one and my Da's connects to his van and car. When I used one I'd no issues either with my Parrot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No issues with the Bluetooth for me and I'd have the phone simultaneously connected to a handsfree headphone/ mic and also three separate smart watches.

Works with the car kit fine, but won't play audio which my older phone did fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Works with the car kit fine, but won't play audio which my older phone did fine

Have you turned on "Media Audio" in your Bluetooth settings for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Might be worth checking and playing around with the Bluetooth AVRCP version (1.4, 1.5 or 1.6) in Developer mode.

I read an article a while back, can't recall the link now, that referenced some BMW's having issues depending on the version set and whether the iDrive was up to date in the car.

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Might be worth checking and playing around with the Bluetooth AVRCP version (1.4, 1.5 or 1.6) in Developer mode.

I read an article a while back, can't recall the link now, that referenced some BMW's having issues depending on the version set and whether the iDrive was up to date in the car.

Interesting, I'll give this a go, did read somewhere too that it is likely the cars Bluetooth settings are out of date.

Phone is set al 1.4 and goes to 1.5 and 1.6. Does not go lower but will give it a go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Anyone's charging dramtically increased?? No longer fast charges and can take as long as 6hours to fully charge

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Anyone's charging dramtically increased?? No longer fast charges and can take as long as 6hours to fully charge

No issues here anyway.
    Fast charging is hardly accidently disabled (under advanced battery settings) by any chance?

Or have you tried another charger to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

DrZeuss wrote: »
    No issues here anyway.
    Fast charging is hardly accidently disabled (under advanced battery settings) by any chance?

Or have you tried another charger to test?

Mine is the same about a month. Bought a wireless charger. Might get it sent away.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

I use a Samsung fast charging pad and noticed it was taking longer all right but when I use another fast charger it charges quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Cotts72 wrote: »

I had that about a month ago but I cleaned the USB port on the phone with a small bit of plastic and it's back to normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭statto25

Right as Ive mentioned here before I need to get the screen replaced. What would the going rate be for an 15 months old S8 with a crack across the screen if i was to just sell it? Digitizer has no damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi guys,

I’m in the market for a new phone, switching from the iPhone 6S after a few years due to constant battery issues despite numerous repairs.

I see I can pick up the S8 on Amazon for around €420 now, which would be close to the top of my available budget.

I’m just wondering if you think it’d be a worthwhile purchase at that price and/or much of an upgrade from the 6S?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I’m in the market for a new phone, switching from the iPhone 6S after a few years due to constant battery issues despite numerous repairs.

I see I can pick up the S8 on Amazon for around €420 now, which would be close to the top of my available budget.

I’m just wondering if you think it’d be a worthwhile purchase at that price and/or much of an upgrade from the 6S?
    This is exactly what I did, 6s to S8. The difference is staggering. IMHO it's 100% still a viable upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

It's maddening how slow the updates are for the s8, September security in the middle of October. That is my only issue but i think myself it's a justifiable complaint- at this rate it will be this time next year before Pie hits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

ibFoxer wrote: »
    It's maddening how slow the updates are for the s8, September security in the middle of October. That is my only issue but i think myself it's a justifiable complaint- at this rate it will be this time next year before Pie hits :rolleyes:
    I havent recieved an update on my S9+ since August. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Morritty. You seem way behind on the S9+ updates. My last one was 7th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Maybe it's just Eir not pushing them out.

It's saying Current version: G965FXXU2BRGA/G965FMET2BRG1/G965FXXU2BRG8

Security patch level: 1 August 2018

Edit: Found this on the Eir forum.

Samsung release quarterly SMR’s (Security Maintenance Release) on our behalf.

They may on occasions release MR’s (Maintenance Release) between the quarters but these aren’t regular releases and are done of an ad-hoc basis depending on the type of update.

The next Quarterly SMR is due for release in November.

Sounds a bit rubbish, considering other networks have months updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭breeno

I'm looking to change in the next few weeks. €400/€450 or so budget. I had been looking at Chinese models like the Mi 8 or the Mate 10 Pro but I see I could get a new S8 plus within budget. Would it still be a decent option to do me for a year or so at this stage? I'm currently running a Nokia 7 Plus mid ranger so hoping last years flagship would still be a bit of a boost in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

breeno wrote: »
    I'm looking to change in the next few weeks. €400/€450 or so budget. I had been looking at Chinese models like the Mi 8 or the Mate 10 Pro but I see I could get a new S8 plus within budget. Would it still be a decent option to do me for a year or so at this stage? I'm currently running a Nokia 7 Plus mid ranger so hoping last years flagship would still be a bit of a boost in quality.

Yes, Do it. It's still an absolute beast of a phone. Absolutely devastated mine was stolen.

Advertisement