Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Marathon - 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Those f'ing hand cyclist should get a ban from racing. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Incredible. I was shaking watching that. The way he powered the last couple of kilometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Words can hardly describe that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Wow, Just Wow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

60:31 for the second half:eek:

• Advertisement

My ultra confident 7 year old isn’t sure if he’ll be able to break that particular world record

Incredible. I was shaking watching that. The way he powered the last couple of kilometers.
    I was trying to control my breathing for the last km or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Absolutely unreal running. Mind-boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭ooter

That was pure class, poetry in motion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Duanington wrote: »
    unreal - he's running solo now though and it gets warm pretty quickly from 11 onwards from memory. Would love to see him do it

Awesome!
    Just over a minute taken off the world record in multiple races between 2006 - 2014.
    Kipchoge takes a bigger chunk off in one race.
    He also did it with the race starting later in the day and two weeks earlier (8:45 start for Kimetto in very late September).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just for context- he knocked 1:17 off the record, it’s been 50 years since that kind of margin has been knocked off the WR!

I don’t think we’ll ever see something like that again. That was a Radcliffe moment, only more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭opus

Mad stuff! I wondered if the wheelchair guy was going to take him out as well.

First three women under the course record so some very fast running today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I don’t think we’ll ever see something like that again. That was a Radcliffe moment, only more impressive.

Nah Radcliffe run is still better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

2.01.39 so 1.18 off the old WR.

Needs Training with a sweet 2.59.52. Nearly let it slip away!! I'd say the last 197.5 metres were fun.
    JMCMEN, or however he writes it, with a small fade. 2.47.51

Well done lads. Enjoy a nice cold German beer or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Gary O'Hanlon 2:19:06, placed 22nd. Tremendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

OOnegative wrote: »
    2.01.39 so 1.18 off the old WR.

4:38 per mile.....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

That was phenomenal by Kipchoge. 2nd half in 60.32, Irish half marathon record is 60.49.

Just how springy are those Vaporflys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

4:38 per mile.....

I was just looking that up.......
    If I could have one of those miles I'd be delighted :D:D

Phenomenal stuff.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I was just looking that up.......
    If I could have one of those miles I'd be delighted :D:D

Phenomenal stuff.......

104 x 400m intervals (target 70secs) off 0secs recovery :o

healy1835 wrote: »
    104 x 400m intervals (target 70secs) off 0secs recovery :o

And he’d still have beaten you by over a minute! Crazy stuff. Under 70 seconds for 400m is practically full out sprinting for most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Any other times from Boardsies? Wasn’t able to track this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elk1984

Long time lurker around here, I followed the thread before the race and it was really useful so I thought I'd do a race report for yiz! That and I've nothing else to do before my (delayed!!!) Ryanair flight back to Kapsisiywa.

Training went well so I was looking forward to the race a lot. There were no tune-up races in my plan, but my club sessions were all pretty solid. I've done Berlin before so knew what to expect. Had a bit of a disaster a few years ago with some bad runners but still managed to somehow finish. Strangely I have a Garmin marathon PB from a training run last year but that wasn't a real marathon so I don't count it. A goal was beat my Garmin PB, B goal was a PB, C goal was to finish the race!

Hit the expo the day before. It was fine, very efficient (insert German reference here) and I tried not to spend too much time on my feet. I picked up a few nice bits of Adidas gear, really like their stuff.

Treated myself to a currywurst after the expo, later on ate some pasta in a local Italian near our Airbnb and settled down early watching some Friends on Netflix. Sleep was ok, woke up at 5.30 or so. Got some porridge and Lucozade Sport into me and then started walking over, our Airbnb was close enough to the start.

I got changed into my racing gear, hit the bag drop and portapotties. I also put on my lucky arm compression sleeves. Dunno why I still wear them!

The first 5k 14:24

Start wasn't congested at all, seemed to open up very quickly. Didn't see the 2 hour pacers at all. I was running with my club mates and the general plan was to stick with them for as long as I could, maybe catching up with the pacers if everything went well on the day.

5k - 10k 14:37

Starting to settle into a rhythm here, slowed down a bit but it was fine. A little behind pace but it's still early days.

10k - 15k 14:37 (haha, what are the chances!)

My mate Kitty dropped out here :(

15k -20k 14:18

Through halfway at 01:01:06 - only 90 seconds or so off my HM PB! Must have a go at that soon, obviously a bit soft.

20k - 25k 14:28

My other mates dropped out by now. Focussing on my own race.

25k - 30k 14:21

??? Dunno!

30k - 35k 14:18

Ok, time to go for it. I was feeling like I could speed up a little. It was getting a bit warm in the sun, but otherwise weather was great.

35k - 40k 14:30

Ok, just a parkrun to go. Things got really tough. Unbelievably a wheelchair user nearly crashes into me and then decides to go along at my speed for a while.

Somehow managed to speed up and did a bit of a sprint finish (well it felt like it at the time). I didn't get close to the 2 hour pacers (I guess I wasn't that far off them?!) but was happy to have run my own race. After I finished I was delighted and started acting like a bit of an eejit, highfiving randomers. Somehow found my coach quickly enough and I gave him a big hug, it's funny how emotional you can get at the end of a marathon.

Finish time: 2:01:39 Real marathon PB ;)

After a shower we went to a nearby Kenyan bar (yeh I know, stereotypical or what). The atmosphere was a bit spoiled by my club mates dropping out but the beers I had tasted pretty good!!!

Overall Berlin's great. Fab crowds, pretty flat course and the weather is mostly good.
    Not sure what's next - might look at some track stuff or maybe mountain races. Chances are I'll just end up doing another marathon, maybe a BQ attempt and then Boston itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Finished in 3:10:37 so pretty much bang on my expectations, far too many people going slowly or even walking on the racing line slowed me down quite a bit, but happy enough. Good race, good weather

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

elk1984 wrote: »
    Long time lurker around here, I followed the thread before the race and it was really useful so I thought I'd do a race report for yiz! That and I've nothing else to do before my (delayed!!!) Ryanair flight back to Kapsisiywa.

Training went well so I was looking forward to the race a lot. There were no tune-up races in my plan, but my club sessions were all pretty solid. I've done Berlin before so knew what to expect. Had a bit of a disaster a few years ago with some bad runners but still managed to somehow finish. Strangely I have a Garmin marathon PB from a training run last year but that wasn't a real marathon so I don't count it. A goal was beat my Garmin PB, B goal was a PB, C goal was to finish the race!

Hit the expo the day before. It was fine, very efficient (insert German reference here) and I tried not to spend too much time on my feet. I picked up a few nice bits of Adidas gear, really like their stuff.

Treated myself to a currywurst after the expo, later on ate some pasta in a local Italian near our Airbnb and settled down early watching some Friends on Netflix. Sleep was ok, woke up at 5.30 or so. Got some porridge and Lucozade Sport into me and then started walking over, our Airbnb was close enough to the start.

I got changed into my racing gear, hit the bag drop and portapotties. I also put on my lucky arm compression sleeves. Dunno why I still wear them!

The first 5k 14:24

Start wasn't congested at all, seemed to open up very quickly. Didn't see the 2 hour pacers at all. I was running with my club mates and the general plan was to stick with them for as long as I could, maybe catching up with the pacers if everything went well on the day.

5k - 10k 14:37

Starting to settle into a rhythm here, slowed down a bit but it was fine. A little behind pace but it's still early days.

10k - 15k 14:37 (haha, what are the chances!)

My mate Kitty dropped out here :(

15k -20k 14:18

Through halfway at 01:01:06 - only 90 seconds or so off my HM PB! Must have a go at that soon, obviously a bit soft.

20k - 25k 14:28

My other mates dropped out by now. Focussing on my own race.

25k - 30k 14:21

??? Dunno!

30k - 35k 14:18

Ok, time to go for it. I was feeling like I could speed up a little. It was getting a bit warm in the sun, but otherwise weather was great.

35k - 40k 14:30

Ok, just a parkrun to go. Things got really tough. Unbelievably a wheelchair user nearly crashes into me and then decides to go along at my speed for a while.

Somehow managed to speed up and did a bit of a sprint finish (well it felt like it at the time). I didn't get close to the 2 hour pacers (I guess I wasn't that far off them?!) but was happy to have run my own race. After I finished I was delighted and started acting like a bit of an eejit, highfiving randomers. Somehow found my coach quickly enough and I gave him a big hug, it's funny how emotional you can get at the end of a marathon.

Finish time: 2:01:39 Real marathon PB ;)

After a shower we went to a nearby Kenyan bar (yeh I know, stereotypical or what). The atmosphere was a bit spoiled by my club mates dropping out but the beers I had tasted pretty good!!!

Overall Berlin's great. Fab crowds, pretty flat course and the weather is mostly good.
    Not sure what's next - might look at some track stuff or maybe mountain races. Chances are I'll just end up doing another marathon, maybe a BQ attempt and then Boston itself!
    You would have been under 2 hours without that currywurst...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cityrep

I came in slightly better than my old PR but way off my goal of 3.20. In the end my time was 3.27.32.

Beautiful day. And a great run. The whole thing is so flat it feels like you're running slightly downhill the whole time. The weather was lovely - perhaps a little bit warm - but not as bad as I had feared.

My only slight complaint is the number of participants. It felt like I was jumping over feet the entire time. The pens at the beginning were hugely crowded too.

elk1984 wrote: »
    Long time lurker around here, I followed the thread before the race and it was really useful so I thought I'd do a race report for yiz....

This is friggin gold. Love the going to bed early watching friends 😅 the portapotties and "just a parkrun" at the end!!

Well played sir. And a fine run to boot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Huzzah! ran a fantastic steady, negatively split race and I think enjoyed her first marathon experience.

• Advertisement

juke wrote: »
    Huzzah! ran a fantastic steady, negatively split race and I think enjoyed her first marathon experience.

Well done Huzzah!!

Advertisement