Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Heads up boys and girls, the pox Connors on the LLS tonight talking social housing.

I'm sure Tubs will give him a rough go over the glorifying theft and vandalism at Lidl this year.

I also believe in fairies.

Connors is a darling of the media.

The most offensive thing Connors has ever said was how the perception amongst the public in relation to traveller's was due to media reporting.

The media play down traveller crime and completely avoid discussing dysfunctionality inherent to traveller culture and how it harms traveller women especially.

Connors is nothing but a professional grievance monger, were he not a traveller, he would never have gotten a tenth of the profile he has.

His views on social housing or politics are as welcome as Gemma dohertys and about as reality based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Connors is nothing but a professional grievance monger, were he not a traveller, he would never have gotten a tenth of the profile he has.

Love that expression.
    Seems to describe people who are members or supporters of parties like the AAA or PBP.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Of course. But it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, isn't it. The community has enormous social problems, which are well documented, and they also face huge discrimination.

I'm not sure which came first, it's probably only academic, by now.

But something has to give, and i don't foresee the situation being resolved without both travellers and the settled community changing their ways.

Travellers face discrimination in the same way a kinehan member would if they lived in an area, the discrimination follows the bad behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Travellers face discrimination in the same way a kinehan member would if they lived in an area, the discrimination follows the bad behaviour.

A mate put it more succinctly than I could:

"Travellers are discriminated against in the same way pit bulls are.

Yeah some might seem to be okay but generally the mistrust is deserved by reputation and you wouldn't trust one ever."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A mate put it more succinctly than I could:

"Travellers are discriminated against in the same way pit bulls are.

Yeah some might seem to be okay but generally the mistrust is deserved by reputation and you wouldn't trust one ever."

I'd trust a foamy-mouthed pitbull that was snarling at me first.

• Advertisement

I'd trust a foamy-mouthed pitbull that was snarling at me first.

All the live long day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Heads up boys and girls, the pox Connors on the LLS tonight talking social housing.

I'm sure Tubs will give him a rough go over the glorifying theft and vandalism at Lidl this year.

Oh dear, I thought the earth had swallowed that fella up, no way could I sit through that.

As an aside, can RTE seriously not have someone of a higher caliber to interview on what is only the second episode of the LLS this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Of course. But it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, isn't it. The community has enormous social problems, which are well documented, and they also face huge discrimination.

I'm not sure which came first, it's probably only academic, by now.

But something has to give, and i don't foresee the situation being resolved without both travellers and the settled community changing their ways.

Over the past 25 years, Ireland has become one of the most multicultural countries in Europe, welcoming immigrants from all over the world. In an EU-wide poll in 2007, 84 percent of Irish said that having contact with different cultures enriched their lives, the highest figure of all 27 countries polled. Ireland has notably avoided the kinds of anti-immigration, nationalist sentiment seen in other countries ranging from Austria to Sweden to the UK.

Ireland in recent years has also embraced its homosexual population, becoming the first country in the world to approve same-sex marriage by popular referendum. We are one of the few countries in the world to have an openly gay head of government, who enjoys an approval rating that is by far the highest among party leaders.

But mysteriously, in a country otherwise willing to embrace people of every ethnicity, religion, or sexuality, there exists this rampant discrimination against travellers.

Why do you think this is?

Again, I'd come back to travellers' abysmal track record in Irish society. They make up just 0.6 percent of the Irish population, but account for 10 percent of male prisoners in the country and an astonishing 22 percent of female prisoners. In Castlerea Prison, more than 50 percent of the inmates are travellers.

Travellers are constantly in the courts and in the news for feuding, property damage, animal cruelty, tax evasion, and petty criminality of all sorts. Last year, four travellers were up in court accused of gunning down their uncle in front of his wife and grandchildren as they attended a family wedding. They have an extremely poor reputation as a consequence of their antics, and people are justifiably suspicious and hostile when they see them coming. Yet, they seem to make no effort to change. Even today, just 8 percent of traveller children sit the Leaving Cert. Fewer than 1 percent of travellers have third-level qualifications, and many young travellers are married off to first or second cousins while still in their teens -- so no surprise that many of them wind up as unemployable welfare dependents such as Margaret Cash.

Crying discrimination, as academics and traveller advocacy groups have done for decades, is only part of the picture. When travellers start to obey the law, educate their children to upper secondary and third level, get jobs, pay taxes, and stop seeing settled people as a resource to be exploited for their own ends, I'm quite sure the "discrimination" will cease. Until then, people have legitimate reasons to be suspicious and hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Try being a member of another minority community in this country that is generally law abiding yet we dont get as much assistance compared to what travellers get. We until recently were not afforded the right to even get an education through the medium of our language, Irish Sign Language, instead being educated in a spoken language. No one makes an attempt to learn our language and everyone expects us to understand a language we cant hear.

Hence the high English literacy issues in the community, as our language is visual and completely different. Our language has been recognised recently as a native language of Ireland under the ISL Act 2017, which was long overdue and which is supposed to give us greater rights, basic rights which are enjoyed by hearing people anyway. ISL was banned from use in the 1950s upwards due to concepts of normalisation and oralism being introduced with Deaf people being punished if they were caught signing. Deaf men and women were also segretated.

There are still very low educational and employment prospects in the Deaf community. Deaf people are poorly represented in third level education due to lack of access to content in our language and for the majority, if they gain employment, work in poorly paid jobs. Because of this, many live in poverty. Not only that, recent estimates state that as many as 1 in 2 suffered from physical or sexual abuse in childhood. The list goes on.

Id love for us to get the opportunities that the government not only offers to the travelling community but also offers to the majority of its citizens. Noone really knows about our issues and how we were and how we continue to be treated like second class citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Oh dear, I thought the earth had swallowed that fella up, no way could I sit through that.

As an aside, can RTE seriously not have someone of a higher caliber to interview on what is only the second episode of the LLS this season.

Don't worry, they'll also wheel out some RTE 'personality' that happens to be in the canteen at the time. They'll also have someone on who has cancer. Prime time entertainment folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm a farmer and years ago travellers used to do odd jobs for farmers around here. Doesn't happen anymore for a number of reasons:

1) All payments to staff and contractors need to be recorded and either put in the PAYE system or receipted for. A traveller would not accept work under those conditions.

2) With all the expensive equipment we have around, we just couldn't take the risk. Even though you might trust the lad working for you, it's his friends and family you need to be worried about. He could easily let slip what you have and where it is.

It's very sad really but this is the situation we are in.

Try being a member of another minority community in this country that is generally law abiding yet we dont get as much assistance compared to what travellers get. We until recently couldnt even get an education through the medium of our language, Irish Sign Language, instead being educated in a spoken language, which we cannot hear and are expected to understand. And this is still the case as it will take time for changes to be made. Hence high English literacy issues in the community, as our language is visual and completely different. Our language was recognised recently as a native language of Ireland, giving us greater rights yet was banned from use in the 1950s upwards due to normalisation and oralism.Deaf men and women were also segretated and banned from seeing each other as children, many not meeting till they were adults when free of the influence of the church. This segretation was in place until 1986 i believe. One of the factors for this was it was believed if Deaf people procreated, their children would be deaf. This is untrue as 90pc of deaf are born to hearing parents. There are low educational and employment prospects in the community, with many living in poverty. Not only this, it is estimated as many as 1 in 2 suffered sexual abuse in childhood.The list goes on. Id love for us to get the opportunities the government offers to the travelling community.

There's practically a full ride scholarship in my College offered to Travellers - rarely taken up except to bleed the Hardship Fund dry.

We had to go cap in hand to a charity to get assistive tech for a deaf student. Go figure.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Don't worry, they'll also wheel out some RTE 'personality' that happens to be in the canteen at the time. They'll also have someone on who has cancer. Prime time entertainment folks.

Pat Shortt is on also - with someone called Stefanie Preissner ? Isn't she the formerly fat one of some alleged "comedy" ???

Oh and some random Dub footballer plugging his no doubt ****e memoir.

Lucifer S2 catch up for me I thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

There's practically a full ride scholarship in my College offered to Travellers - rarely taken up except to bleed the Hardship Fund dry.

We had to go cap in hand to a charity to get assistive tech for a deaf student. Go figure.

Imagine being Deaf, not just deaf. Two very different things. Cant even get access to a full education let alone assistive technology.

Over the past 25 years, Ireland has become one of the most multicultural countries in Europe, welcoming immigrants from all over the world. In an EU-wide poll in 2007, 84 percent of Irish said that having contact with different cultures enriched their lives, the highest figure of all 27 countries polled. Ireland has notably avoided the kinds of anti-immigration, nationalist sentiment seen in other countries ranging from Austria to Sweden to the UK.

Ireland in recent years has also embraced its homosexual population, becoming the first country in the world to approve same-sex marriage by popular referendum. We are one of the few countries in the world to have an openly gay head of government, who enjoys an approval rating that is by far the highest among party leaders.

But mysteriously, in a country otherwise willing to embrace people of every ethnicity, religion, or sexuality, there exists this rampant discrimination against travellers.

Why do you think this is?

Again, I'd come back to travellers' abysmal track record in Irish society. They make up just 0.6 percent of the Irish population, but account for 10 percent of male prisoners in the country and an astonishing 22 percent of female prisoners. In Castlerea Prison, more than 50 percent of the inmates are travellers.

Travellers are constantly in the courts and in the news for feuding, property damage, animal cruelty, tax evasion, and petty criminality of all sorts. Last year, four travellers were up in court accused of gunning down their uncle in front of his wife and grandchildren as they attended a family wedding. They have an extremely poor reputation as a consequence of their antics, and people are justifiably suspicious and hostile when they see them coming. Yet, they seem to make no effort to change. Even today, just 8 percent of traveller children sit the Leaving Cert. Fewer than 1 percent of travellers have third-level qualifications, and many young travellers are married off to first or second cousins while still in their teens -- so no surprise that many of them wind up as unemployable welfare dependents such as Margaret Cash.

Crying discrimination, as academics and traveller advocacy groups have done for decades, is only part of the picture. When travellers start to obey the law, educate their children to upper secondary and third level, get jobs, pay taxes, and stop seeing settled people as a resource to be exploited for their own ends, I'm quite sure the "discrimination" will cease. Until then, people have legitimate reasons to be suspicious and hostile.

Very well put. When I grow up I want to be as concise as you.

Imagine being Deaf, not just deaf. Two very different things. Cant even get access to a full education let alone assistive technology.

Horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Loathsome man. That Lidl tweet was a disgrace. Worse again were the swarm of gimps who rushed to like it (No doubt mostly middle class dwellers of nice crime-free areas who will never have to endure anti social behaviour).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Loathsome man. That Lidl tweet was a disgrace. Worse again were the swarm of gimps who rushed to like it (No doubt mostly middle class dwellers of nice crime-free areas who will never have to endure anti social behaviour).

He's a scumbag. Only word for it. Those people weren't "trying to feed their families", unless their kids subsist on massive tubs of Haribo.

He's a scumbag. Only word for it. Those people weren't "trying to feed their families", unless their kids subsist on massive tubs of Haribo.

TBH they may well feel that is nutritional!

It's in the news currently that students heading back to college are paying up to €1,100 a month for shared accommodation in Dublin.

Yet another bill for hard-pressed families trying to educate their children so that they can get jobs.

Meanwhile, people like Ms Cash, who openly thumb their noses at education and work, expect to be housed for free in the same city.

You really couldn't make this up.

• Advertisement

Many rural students just can't afford accommodation in Dublin. Even if they have the CAO points to get into an excellent course in Trinity or UCD, they may have to settle instead for going to an IT close to home to keep the costs down. Imagine having to tell your smart, capable teenager that they won't be able to do their dream course in UCD because you just can't afford Dublin rents. Maybe they can find a decent course in Sligo IT instead.

More and more students are working throughout the college term to make ends meet, and almost a quarter of working students say they are skipping lectures to do so.

These students are those who want to contribute to society by becoming future workers and taxpayers -- and yet the rental crisis is getting in the way of their aspirations and educations.

But for people like Ms. Cash, the rental crisis doesn't exist. She expects a house for free in an area of her choosing, paid for by the same taxpayers who can't afford accommodation in Dublin for their own kids.

It's really become a joke.

Many rural students just can't afford accommodation in Dublin. Even if they have the CAO points to get into an excellent course in Trinity or UCD, they may have to settle instead for going to an IT close to home to keep the costs down. Imagine having to tell your smart, capable teenager that they won't be able to do their dream course in UCD because you just can't afford Dublin rents. Maybe they can find a decent course in Sligo IT instead.

More and more students are working throughout the college term to make ends meet, and almost a quarter of working students say they are skipping lectures to do so.

These students are those who want to contribute to society by becoming future workers and taxpayers -- and yet the rental crisis is getting in the way of their aspirations and educations.

But for people like Ms. Cash, the rental crisis doesn't exist. She expects a house for free in an area of her choosing, paid for by the same taxpayers who can't afford accommodation in Dublin for their own kids.

It's really become a joke.
    Depressing and infuriating.

I used to be such a raging leftie (morto!) - thank feck i woke up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

When people are young they think like this then once they get older and realise they actually pay for people like cash they soon wake up.

Just remember Sinn Fein can’t get enough of me cash.

I'd still consider myself to lean left on most issues but this isn't an issue of left or right, its about cop on and personal responsibility. The government shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense (our original topic I mean) in an ideal world.

Housing is another thing altogether, we can't keep up with an ever increasing population so of course prices are going to rise whether its the rental market or the sales market. There are housing problems all over the world because of over population but no politician wants to touch that issue. They might as well paint a swastika on their forehead if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Just remember Sinn Fein can’t get enough of me cash.

While FG keeping pumping "our" money into her. No point bashing SF they're not spending your money on her. FG is.

limnam wrote: »
    While FG keeping pumping "our" money into her. No point bashing SF they're not spending your money on her. FG is.
    Yet SF keep saying FG do nothing for her- that's what they mean.

I'd still consider myself to lean left on most issues but this isn't an issue of left or right, its about cop on and personal responsibility. The government shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense (our original topic I mean) in an ideal world.

Housing is another thing altogether, we can't keep up with an ever increasing population so of course prices are going to rise whether its the rental market or the sales market. There are housing problems all over the world because of over population but no politician wants to touch that issue. They might as well paint a swastika on their forehead if they did.
    Oh yeah I'd be considered super liberal in America.

But when I was younger i was an idiot. :o

Yet SF keep saying FG do nothing for her- that's what they mean.

opposition been opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yep - the elephant in the room is that this crisis is just going to get worse and worse .

The country is at its richest now and cant deal with it . In 5 years time what is it going to be like when HAP is cut etc , welfare is cut, state pension is cut .

Would a government really pump all this money into social housing during their term . Its the taxpayer that would have to fund it by paying a huge amount of tax . People would leave ireland to work. Less money from tax. More increases . More people leave . Less people choose to work . More demand for social housing.

Cant wait

• Advertisement

The country is at its richest now

:confused::confused::confused:

You've not looked very hard at the balance sheets...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement