Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I think that was done in Northern Ireland where the law is different

Plenty of travellers get married up there before they can in the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It is impossible to run a successful society by pandering to the lowest of the low.

"Personal responsibility will only get you so far". Crap. If you genuinely need help and cannot provide for yourself, then that is the very function of the welfare system. If you choose not to - then quite frankly get to f**k.

Cash and her ilk have no inherent rights to anything without an associated responsibility of being a positive, contributing member of society. If you have children, bringing them up to be the same.

She is doing none of this and the likes of you believe she should be REWARDED ?

We should pay scum MORE because they threaten to commit crime ? You understand the concept of blackmail, yes ?

People like Cash are the wound - idiots who constantly spout trite defences of her are the salt.

again, nobody is being rewarded here. would you want to be miss cash? i certainly wouldn't. we aren't paying people not to commit crime, we are paying a basic amount to people in need of support, so that they can support themselves. most people use that money to do exactly that, and therefore aren't in a situation where they have to resort to low level crime such as for example, shop lifting food and basics, to survive. there is a group of people commiting crime anyway dispite receiving wellfare payments and the authorities and courts must deal with them. to state these realities is not pandering, it's recognising the complex realities of a society, and doing what we can to remove certain issues, which ultimately a wellfare system does. you don't have to like it, but so far i haven't saw anyone suggest an actual proven to be viable alternative.
    Everyone is employable in one form or another. It is not that she can't work. She doesn't want to and doesn't need to.
    If the choice of whether one works or not is removed you'll see quite a different attitude from her.

i would have to disagree. everyone isn't employable. most people are employable but people like miss cash most certainly aren't. removing the supposed choice not to work wouldn't change her view. she would quite likely end up spending her time being sacked from various jobs as nobody would want to work with her, and she would probably make things difficult for the rest of her fellow workers. realistically, what employer and employee would want that hassle? i certainly wouldn't want to work in an environment where someone doesn't want to be there so much that they make the environment problematic for me and everyone else. could you put up with that?
    dermo888 wrote: »
    This is the reason why the 'Alt Right' have gained power, and Donald Trump is in charge in America.

indeed, but the thing is, as i'm sure you know, the alt right and donald trump types, won't do anything about anything. they will tell people what they want to hear, and deliver nothing in return. just like any other politician.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You can quibble over the word "scamming," but she's definitely taking advantage of the system by having seven children in ten years and then pulling a publicity stunt to secure herself a house.

Unplanned pregnancies do happen, of course. But anyone who has seven children in ten years, without any means to support them, is deliberately and intentionally trying to milk the welfare system for as much as she can get.

The system is supposed to be social protection, not social exploitation.

it's all well and good to say all of that, but is it really lucrative for her to have children just to get more wellfare? i'd be surprised if it is tbh
    The only areas where unions have genuine power anymore are the public sector and the semi-states. But in those cases they're often fighting for the "underpaid" €50k worker to make €70k. The unions just don't care anymore about the €30k worker in the private sector.

because a lot of private sector workers won't join the unions. you can't expect a union to represent workers who aren't involved in a union. of course it would be nice of them if they did do that, but if people want union representation then they need to join a union, or set up their own union.
    so its the governments fault that certain cultures decide to give up on school?

no, but it's the fault of the state for not enforcing the rules that insure people from any culture actually attend school as well as those for not sending their children to school.
    do you not think that personal responsibility is up to individuals and not the government?

personal responsibility only goes so far. where someone is deliberately not abiding by the rules of the state then the state has a remedy to insure they do, and it should be using that remedy to insure they abide by the rules.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

again, nobody is being rewarded here. would you want to be miss cash? i certainly wouldn't. we aren't paying people not to commit crime, we are paying a basic amount to people in need of support, so that they can support themselves. most people use that money to do exactly that, and therefore aren't in a situation where they have to resort to low level crime such as for example, shop lifting food and basics, to survive. there is a group of people commiting crime anyway dispite receiving wellfare payments and the authorities and courts must deal with them. to state these realities is not pandering, it's recognising the complex realities of a society, and doing what we can to remove certain issues, which ultimately a wellfare system does. you don't have to like it, but so far i haven't saw anyone suggest an actual proven to be viable alternative.

i would have to disagree. everyone isn't employable. most people are employable but people like miss cash most certainly aren't. removing the supposed choice not to work wouldn't change her view. she would quite likely end up spending her time being sacked from various jobs as nobody would want to work with her, and she would probably make things difficult for the rest of her fellow workers. realistically, what employer and employee would want that hassle? i certainly wouldn't want to work in an environment where someone doesn't want to be there so much that they make the environment problematic for me and everyone else. could you put up with that?

indeed, but the thing is, as i'm sure you know, the alt right and donald trump types, won't do anything about anything. they will tell people what they want to hear, and deliver nothing in return. just like any other politician.

Nice of you to join us at the working day is nearly over for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

it's all well and good to say all of that, but is it really lucrative for her to have children just to get more wellfare? i'd be surprised if it is tbh

Obviously I don't know the specific details of her finances. But she's eligible for thousands in welfare payments, plus €980 a month in child benefit for her seven children. I assume she's on a medical card as well. She's also getting a free house in Dublin, which even many college-educated professionals can't afford these days. I'm sure posters familiar with the welfare system can point out other stuff she's probably getting as well.

For someone who left school at the age of 12, I'd say yeah, that's pretty lucrative.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

no jonnies cash

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Letters, marches and the like won’t work, only the ballot box will. They won’t touch pensioners cause they know they vote for example. I just don’t think you can fix the welfare system here, it’s beyond broken. You can have a family better off not working for all the benefits (medical card, rent allowance etc) than if they had two standard wages. Sure they still talk about the TD who taxed kids shoes, no government let alone a propped up one will touch it with a barge pole. Budget will bring welfare rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Nice of you to join us at the working day is nearly over for many.

That's hilarious. You're proud of the fact that you were posting all day while you were sweating your balls of working at the same time is it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I think that was done in Northern Ireland where the law is different

Plenty of travellers get married up there before they can in the Republic
    Child abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Oh and I can't get a link but the Mirror ran a story today of a family of 12 including 6 kids being taken by Gardai to a hospital in Mayo as they presented as "homeless".

Homeless me hole.

This story is now getting the Kitty Holland treatment in the IT
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/six-children-had-to-sleep-at-hospital-due-to-lack-of-housing-1.3627294
    Only a small piece and light on detail but I'm sure being the news hound that she is, the weekend edition of the IT will have a feature piece.
    She dodges the Roma tag and goes with Romanian though I notice.
    And she mustn't be aware of the EU directive on returning EU migrants home if they can't afford to keep themselves. No mention of that but wasn't to be expected from the IT anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Gombeen Fianna Fáil hospital that is to be fair. More populous places like Athlone, Thurles, Ennis and Nenagh lost their/reduced acute/maternity hospital services over the years under FF.

Back on topic though. Letter bombing (not literally bombs) of FG offices nationwide demanding welfare reform and caps should be organised. Privileged to work with and advocate on behalf of people with disabilities the past year. Moving on to a new career. When the likes of someone on DA goes to the CWO looking for money towards a new bed it's an absolute disgrace and insulting that they get only €90 SWO towards a €235 bed. These same CWOs who gave out 10000s of euros per year to families for communions and conformations up until recently. Schools and church are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

jay0109 wrote: »
    This story is now getting the Kitty Holland treatment in the IT
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/six-children-had-to-sleep-at-hospital-due-to-lack-of-housing-1.3627294
    Only a small piece and light on detail but I'm sure being the news hound that she is, the weekend edition of the IT will have a feature piece.
    She dodges the Roma tag and goes with Romanian though I notice.
    And she mustn't be aware of the EU directive on returning EU migrants home if they can't afford to keep themselves. No mention of that but wasn't to be expected from the IT anyways.
    Kitty Holland.

Current squeeze of Trot councillor Michael O'Brien.

Don't expect anything close to impartiality from her!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Nonsense redacted for everyone's sanity save - again, nobody is being rewarded here.

FIFTY GRAND PLUS, TAX FREE.

I'd hate to see what you call a f**king reward then.

BBFAN wrote: »
    That's hilarious. You're proud of the fact that you were posting all day while you were sweating your balls of working at the same time is it?

Oh here's another one - you may not know this but when you're working there's no longer slavery and grown ups are allowed to manage their work time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Possible scope for a reality TV show?

"Cashing in with the Cash's"

Keeping Up with the Kar-Cashians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Multiples of Cash
    Cash Machine
    Cashing in on the system
    Cash in the Hand
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Cash for your Trash

Igotadose wrote: »
    Cash for your Trash

Bit on the nose that one lol!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Cash is king boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

The Entitlements of the Idle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is it just me or have the media gone very silent on this? I mean, I know its not really news worthy to begin with but its like a media blackout. Possibly after seeing how outraged this kind of thing made the majority in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

The layabouts sitting in empty houses and being shifted by "paramilitaries from the north" are now the media flavor of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

gwalk wrote: »
    The layabouts sitting in empty houses and being shifted by "paramilitaries from the north" are now the media flavor of the week

Excellent it worked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

There's a work joke in there somewhere but its below me to type it.

There's a work joke in there somewhere but its below me to type it.

You might have to give the dictionary definition - lest they struggle with the concept!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Is it just me or have the media gone very silent on this? I mean, I know its not really news worthy to begin with but its like a media blackout. Possibly after seeing how outraged this kind of thing made the majority in the country.

It was a publicity stunt from the beginning. Where are they sleeping now that the owner didn’t want her in his house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

You might have to give the dictionary definition - lest they struggle with the concept!!!!

Everyday's a school day I guess :confused:

work
    verb UK ​ /wɜːk/ US ​ /wɝːk/
    work verb (HAVE EFFECT)

B1 [ I usually + adv/prep ] to be effective or successful:

Her idea for reorganizing the department will never work in practice.
    The tablets will start to work in a few minutes.
    Some people think I'm weird doing meditation, but it works for me and that's all that matters.
    Arguably, the monarchy worked well for many centuries.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Everyday's a school day I guess :confused:

work
    verb UK ​ /wɜːk/ US ​ /wɝːk/
    work verb (HAVE EFFECT)

B1 [ I usually + adv/prep ] to be effective or successful:

Her idea for reorganizing the department will never work in practice.
    The tablets will start to work in a few minutes.
    Some people think I'm weird doing meditation, but it works for me and that's all that matters.
    Arguably, the monarchy worked well for many centuries.

And not one example concerning gainful employment.

Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The coping classes may have made it clear to the media that they are sick of hearing about a lifelong welfare claimant staging a publicity stunt in a Garda station because she hasn't been given her free house in Drumcondra yet.

A brief glance at the property price register shows 3-bedroom semis in Drumcondra selling for around €900k. Many ordinary working people know that they will never be able to afford what Ms. Cash expects to be handed for nothing.

• Advertisement

The coping classes may have made it clear to the media that they are sick of hearing about a lifelong welfare claimant staging a publicity stunt in a Garda station because she hasn't been given her free house in Drumcondra yet.

A brief glance at the property price register shows 3-bedroom semis in Drumcondra selling for around €900k. Many ordinary working people know that they will never be able to afford what Ms. Cash expects to be handed for nothing.

I've relatives in Drumcondra - the only reason they can afford it is my great aunt bought in like the 50s or something, and the cousins inherited it.

Sure the free everything crowd will argue that they shouldn't have inherited it but they can f**k right off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement