Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

2011 wrote: »
    So we should pay people not to commit crime?
    Can everyone avail of this??

That is the most ridiculous statement I have seen you post and it has had some stiff competition.

Ignore option is best for trolls like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Unfortunately I don't think he/she is a troll. There's a lot of bleeding heart, liberal types out there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

jay0109 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think he/she is a troll. There's a lot of bleeding heart, liberal types out there

also smacks of some one who doesn't mind parasites like Cash getting free money because he doesn't pay much tax himself

( from a long history of reading his posts )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

There's a lot of bleeding heart, liberal types out there

Most over used phrase ever and damn the fcker to hell who started using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What I want to know is who is accountable for ensuring all kids who are not mentally handicapped leave school literate, enumerate and skilled enough to be further educated or trained into being employable adults.

the state, and the school at least.

The state failed in and around 2006 to keep Margaret in school, and to protect her from her feckless culture.

indeed they did. however, what did the people do about it? voted in the same people again and again.
    Handwringng piety of social inclusion has delivered anything but.

it takes time. it doesn't happen over night. showing the travelers that it is worth integrating to the settled community is going to take a hell of a long time, we have a lot to prove to them.
    Attitudes are hardening against fecklessness.

attitudes are hardening against anyone who isn't the same as the person who's attitude is hardening more like.
    Children's allowance should be struck off for parents who don't send their kids to school.

unviable as that effects the children. also it's unlikely to work anyway.
    It is pathetic that there are traveller families who are only now sending their kids to secondary school. I know of one such case. A girl, now in second year is the first of her family to go to secondary school.

indeed, but it seems more traveler children are attending school, which is a good thing at least if it is the case.
    The rest were thrown on the economic and social scrap heap.

As always, it is the traveller men who drive this due to their inadequacy and "pride".

Sacrificing their children lest they become independent. The polar opposite of what normal people do.

sure, and most disagree with that. but at least this seems to be changing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

End of the road poster is laughing the socks at all of us.

Best to ignore. S/he has nothing to add to the debate at all. Never has.

And to think that many posters have been banned for saying this and that. I reckon s/he is on the management system here, for balance like. Woo hoo.

Paulzx wrote: »
    The problem is that the kids are in school and under the influence of people that teach productive values to them for approx 5 hours per day.

The other 19 hours per day are spent under the influence of people (their parents) that set an example that it is ok to freeload and spend your whole existance expecting the state to pay for your every need.

The kids don't stand a chance. The problem is inter generational and is never going to stop until we as a society refuse to support someones choice not to contribute back into society

it's not about the amount of hours they spend in school, it's about what is thought to them and how it is thought. 5 hours has the potential to get things through to them if thought well. simply refusing to support people isn't going to work.
    Vizzy wrote: »
    And here we have it folks, the more criminality from people, the more we should pay them.

"Your honour, my client agrees that he will desist from criminality once he receives €X extra in welfare, BUT, he reserves the right to go back to crime once he is unhappy with the amount. What do you think your honour ?"

Judge - "seems fair".

Jesus, are you for real ?

given what you have stated is not what i stated, yes i am very much for real. people who commit criminality should be punished. however, wellfare payments will keep a lot of people from resorting to low level crime because they have no other option. they have the basic supports to live.
    2011 wrote: »
    So we should pay people not to commit crime?
    Can everyone avail of this??

That is the most ridiculous statement I have seen you post and it has had some stiff competition.

no, we aren't paying people not to commit criminality. we are paying people a basic amount to support themselves, so that they don't end up in a position where they feel they have to resort to low level crime. there are those who will commit crime anyway and they have to be dealt with, but if there was no wellfare then the rates would quite likely be a lot higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Commanchie wrote: »
    What is your issue with housing being afforded to this woman.
    Let's see:

Massively inflated sense of entitlement, severely lacking in personal responsbility, expecting the accommodation to be found for her unlike those folk who have to go traipsing day in day out to find something - why is she so special? She got into the media is why.

Not just expecting the accommodation to be found for her, but only a specific type of accommodation in a certain area.

As someone else said, the horse has bolted - she has several children and realistically she cannot work. So she needs accommodation by the state, but the attitude is what's galling - the demanding rather than showing appreciation, the knowledge that there is an accommodation crisis yet being so choosy, the view of herself as more deserving than anyone else, the blaming of the government and zero acknowledgement of her own role.

There is a terrible crisis - not enough accommodation, ludicrous private rents that don't meet people's earnings, and the cost to buy a property is totally insane... and I feel hugely for those who are working hard or who might not be able to work much because they are lone parents but are still doing their best with part-time work and courses for when the kids start school, and disabled people, long-term ill, carers, those who have lost their job, and who are then under the added pressure of having to find accommodation because their lease is up. That is a nightmare situation right now. But you don't see them going screaming to the media, or viewing themselves as more deserving (when much of the time they are) or demanding a particular type of home in a particular place, or demanding that a bunch of lackeys do all the work for them.

That is my issue.

Let's see:

Massively inflated sense of entitlement, severely lacking in personal responsbility, expecting the accommodation to be found for her unlike those folk who have to go traipsing day in day out to find something

what and why has any of that got to do with her right to accommodation given she is on the housing list? personal responsibility will only get someone so far in some situations.
    why is she so special? She got into the media is why.

she's not special. she may have got into the media, but it could be argued that by doing so, she hurried up the council in doing their job.
    Not just expecting the accommodation to be found for her, but only a specific type of accommodation in a certain area.

which she isn't going to get.
    As someone else said, the horse has bolted - she has several children and realistically she cannot work. So she needs accommodation by the state, but the attitude is what's galling - the demanding rather than showing appreciation, the knowledge that there is an accommodation crisis yet being so choosy, the view of herself as more deserving than anyone else, the blaming of the government and zero acknowledgement of her own role.

fine, but realistically, she's not wrong in what she is saying when she blames the government for their part in causing this crisis. as for the rest, it means nothing because her supposibly being choosy and demanding isn't going to get her exactly what she wants. she may get accommodation, but it won't be exactly what she wants, and it won't be where she wants.
    There is a terrible crisis - not enough accommodation, ludicrous private rents that don't meet people's earnings, and the cost to buy a property is totally insane... and I feel hugely for those who are working hard or who might not be able to work much because they are lone parents but are still doing their best with part-time work and courses for when the kids start school, and disabled people, long-term ill, carers, those who have lost their job, and who are then under the added pressure of having to find accommodation because their lease is up. That is a nightmare situation right now. But you don't see them going screaming to the media, or viewing themselves as more deserving (when much of the time they are) or demanding a particular type of home in a particular place, or demanding that a bunch of lackeys do all the work for them.

That is my issue.

actually, i have heard a number of such people on radio stations over the years. perhapse more of them should go to the media, that way the government might actually get to grips with dealing with this issue full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

in what way is she abusing and scamming the system. to be scamming the system she would surely have to be breaking the actual rules of that system. from what i have saw, she hasn't broken any actual rules in relation to her availing of the system therefore is not scamming it.
    now certainly her choices that have caused her to end up where she is are questionable, and in relation to the criminal activity she is said to have been involved in, very very wrong. but from what i can see she isn't scamming or abusing but simply availing of what she is entitled to.
    if you genuinely believe that she is scamming and abusing the system then by all means report your concerns to the wellfare and authorities.

no lets call it what it is, vitriol.

Oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

This was quoted in the indo about the upcoming budget

'an increase in PRSI could be on the way. The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection argued recently that PRSI should be increased to help pay for welfare benefits'

Also property tax is going to increase for people who actually bought their homes.

what and why has any of that got to do with her right to accommodation given she is on the housing list? personal responsibility will only get someone so far in some situations.

she's not special. she may have got into the media, but it could be argued that by doing so, she hurried up the council in doing their job.

which she isn't going to get.

fine, but realistically, she's not wrong in what she is saying when she blames the government for their part in causing this crisis. as for the rest, it means nothing because her supposibly being choosy and demanding isn't going to get her exactly what she wants. she may get accommodation, but it won't be exactly what she wants, and it won't be where she wants.

actually, i have heard a number of such people on radio stations over the years. perhapse more of them should go to the media, that way the government might actually get to grips with dealing with this issue full stop.

Listen I'm going to try to get it through to you one last time then I'm giving up as a bad job.

That entire post is absolute ill-informed, naive nonsense.

It is impossible to run a successful society by pandering to the lowest of the low.

"Personal responsibility will only get you so far". Crap. If you genuinely need help and cannot provide for yourself, then that is the very function of the welfare system. If you choose not to - then quite frankly get to f**k.

Cash and her ilk have no inherent rights to anything without an associated responsibility of being a positive, contributing member of society. If you have children, bringing them up to be the same.

She is doing none of this and the likes of you believe she should be REWARDED ?

We should pay scum MORE because they threaten to commit crime ? You understand the concept of blackmail, yes ?

People like Cash are the wound - idiots who constantly spout trite defences of her are the salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This was quoted in the indo about the upcoming budget

'an increase in PRSI could be on the way. The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection argued recently that PRSI should be increased to help pay for welfare benefits'

Also property tax is going to increase for people who actually bought their homes.

I made the mistake of watching a bit of the Six One news yesterday, just when they showed a "single" homeless mother of 2 getting a brand new house in Dublin. The homeless mother talked about how this was going to be her "forever" home and she can now pick the floors she wants in the brand spanking new house. All brand new appliances in the kitchen. Speaking of which; many, many workers would be envious of the size and quality of the kitchen. We have to budget for new floors. Why wasn't this house given to a working family on low income? Or offered to front line workers who need to live in Dublin, but cannot afford it?

It's like I'm living in a surreal reality.
    Work long hours and pay your taxes and your reward will be increased PRSI payments and an increase in property taxes in order to pay for even more welfare benefits to those who do not want to work and are playing the system.
    Claim homelessness and you get a forever home and cash payments that in many cases could supersede what workers earn.
    Ireland has truly gone bonkers.

Oh and I can't get a link but the Mirror ran a story today of a family of 12 including 6 kids being taken by Gardai to a hospital in Mayo as they presented as "homeless".

Homeless me hole.

Kivaro wrote: »
    I made the mistake of watching a bit of the Six One news yesterday, just when they showed a "single" homeless mother of 2 getting a brand new house in Dublin. The homeless mother talked about how this was going to be her "forever" home and she can now pick the floors she wants in the brand spanking new house. All brand new appliances in the kitchen. Speaking of which; many, many workers would be envious of the size and quality of the kitchen. We have to budget for new floors. Why wasn't this house given to a working family on low income? Or offered to front line workers who need to live in Dublin, but cannot afford it?

Work long hours and pay your taxes and your reward will be increased PRSI payments and an increase in property taxes in order to pay for even more welfare benefits to those who do not want to work and are playing the system.
    Claim homelessness and you get a forever home and cash payments that in many cases could supersede what workers earn.

Saw that last night - better than a few colleagues here, some with doctorates and all who have paid in.

We be f**ked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Kivaro wrote: »

And then all we hear is the government only look after the rich and not the poor??????????

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there is no point going after Ms Cash at this stage, she is unemployable and is essentially a toddler - completely dependant on mammy (the state) for every aspect of her needs and wants.
    Everyone is employable in one form or another. It is not that she can't work. She doesn't want to and doesn't need to.
    If the choice of whether one works or not is removed you'll see quite a different attitude from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And then all we hear is the government only look after the rich and not the poor??????????

The thing about it Wheelie is that not one of those who are getting new free forever homes will ever vote for the likes of Fine Gael or Fianna Fail; yet Fine Gael are pumping billions of euros into social housing.

Of course we should always look after the (genuine) vulnerable in society but the government concentration should be on affordable homes for the contributors in society. They should not be caving in to the false hysterics of Sinn Fein-type parties. It's almost like Fine Gael are afraid that Mary Lou and her cohorts will pick up armalites again if the Government does not build free homes for Sinn Fein's electorate.

Oh and I can't get a link but the Mirror ran a story today of a family of 12 including 6 kids being taken by Gardai to a hospital in Mayo as they presented as "homeless".

Homeless me hole.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/gardai-drive-homeless-family-12-13229700

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Oh good, the Roma have copped on to these tactics.

• Advertisement

Cheers Maryanne - God it's worse than I thought.

Will it ever end ????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Kevin Boxer Moran was on newstalk this morning on about a bill he is sponsoring that will make it harder to get home repossession where the family are paying something

It's mad

If i was defaulting by €300 a month on my car loan it would be taken off me simple as

Why should people be able to stay in a better home that they cannot afford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

in what way is she abusing and scamming the system. to be scamming the system she would surely have to be breaking the actual rules of that system. from what i have saw, she hasn't broken any actual rules in relation to her availing of the system therefore is not scamming it.

You can quibble over the word "scamming," but she's definitely taking advantage of the system by having seven children in ten years and then pulling a publicity stunt to secure herself a house.

Unplanned pregnancies do happen, of course. But anyone who has seven children in ten years, without any means to support them, is deliberately and intentionally trying to milk the welfare system for as much as she can get.

The system is supposed to be social protection, not social exploitation.

Unlike Ms Cash the Roma as EU citizens that cannot support themselves could simple be sent home

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the state, and the school at least.

indeed they did. however, what did the people do about it? voted in the same people again and again.

so its the governments fault that certain cultures decide to give up on school?

do you not think that personal responsibility is up to individuals and not the government?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Kevin Boxer Moran was on newstalk this morning on about a bill he is sponsoring that will make it harder to get home repossession where the family are paying something

It's mad

If i was defaulting by €300 a month on my car loan it would be taken off me simple as

Why should people be able to stay in a better home that they cannot afford?

I had a CCJ against me in the UK decades ago when I lived there. I had lost my job and could only make nominal payments, and I contacted company right away.

I had paid 400 GBP off a PC, still had a few hundred to go - interest etc.

I was rightly penalised for not making full payments - it is the way of the world. Or it should be.

His argument was that we can't add to the homeless crisis yet he doesn't acknowledge the hundred of thousands who can't get a house thanks to lack of availability and mortgage rules etc or are stuck renting

Lets say some of those are 4 bed houses

It stops another family who want to move up from a three bed to a four bed, possibly a different family from a two bed to the three bed and some first time buyers getting on the ladder

All Eu citizens who cannot prove they can afford to keep themselves in another EU country can be deported. Did anyone explain that to Daragh O'Brien and his ilk or are these people so far up their own backsides that they actually believe the bs they sprout
    Fianna Fail housing spokesman Darragh O’Brien told the Irish Mirror of his shock at their treatment.
    He is calling for a stakeholder forum to be established to ensure “at the very least we can solve the problem of children being homeless.”
    Mr O’Brien added: “Maybe nobody in Fine Gael cares about the homeless, or ethnic minorities, but normal people do.

Saw that last night - better than a few colleagues here, some with doctorates and all who have paid in.

We be f**ked.

Aye, that 'forever home' comment was hard to take. From a young woman who would be well capable of a day's work but will probably never have to.

And at the same time we'll hear politicians bemoaning the lack of stock of social housing. Of course there's no available stock you muppets when everyone who gets one views it as their 'forever home' and isn't forced to better their lot in life and to stop living off the Irish taxpayers

• Advertisement

All Eu citizens who cannot prove they can afford to keep themselves in another EU country can be deported. Did anyone explain that to Daragh O'Brien and his ilk or are these people so far up their own backsides that they actually believe the bs they sprout

Just another thing to sling at the government he is propping up

I don't support FG but I hate FF, Labour & SF using Cash or the Roma above to give out about the homeless crisis

Exactly the wrong type of examples to use

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement