Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

twirlagig wrote: »
    Aonghus McAnally... where did he go?

Deeply rooted in RTE. Producing Liveline with Joe Duffy.

Does anyone remember Brendan Keely? He had a song called "I'll always be lonely" back around '94 or '95. Apparently it was his birthday today and Ronan Collins played him .

Back then the owner of my local (Tom) used to give him a few weekend slots. After the hit and a bit of fame, Tom rang him to know could he do the following Sunday night. Brendan said, "NO. I don't play in backstreet toilets any more.".

Fast forward a year and Tom got a call from Brendan asking had he any weekend nights free. He was told in no uncertain terms where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

He retired last December.

Are you serious? Is he retirement age? He was a major crush of mine back in the day.... (I'm lying: he'll always be a major crush of mine.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Are you serious? Is he retirement age? He was a major crush of mine back in the day.... (I'm lying: he'll always be a major crush of mine.)

Yep, look him up. Aonghus McGrianna took early retirement, which was a major surprise to me. So, yeah...it's been surprising the amount of folks who left RTE in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Behind the scenes radio producer, does quite a few interviews. I think he was interviewed on the Radio a year or so ago-wrote a one man show about Christy Hennessey.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    Deeply rooted in RTE. Producing Liveline with Joe Duffy.

He had a tour last year and in 2016 which RTÉ very kindly facilitated him with ample time off and helped publicise both tours with loads of free advertising from Joe himself and other shows (TV and Radio). A great place to work is RTÉ.

Tour 2016:

http://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5350:aonghus-mcanally-s-one-man-show-dates&catid=8&Itemid=115

Tour 2017:
    http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/index.php/artist/celebrating-christie-hennessy-the-platinum-collection-tour-2017

On the RTÉ Secret Producer:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/secret-rt%C3%A9-producer-tweeter-needs-a-good-slap-says-aonghus-mcanally-1.3238181

He's also been involved in allegedly planting a story about Skydive Ireland on Liveline, though I can't provide a link for that as it appears to have been removed from their Facebook page - it was covered on the Liveline Thread though. Aonghus you see is involved in some capacity or a member of a rival parachuting club......

And a poster on boards allegedly.....said poster certainly doesn't like Joe Duffy (or his fees) being criticised. Or any criticism of RTÉ either.

Re. the wunderful fantastic Joe Duffy, I asked the person I suspect is him a series of questions on here recently and he refuses to answer them, instead calling me "obsessed". It's that kind of willingness to engage with members of the public who dare to question the inner workings of RTÉ that make it worth every cent of the licence fee. I mean, how dare we ask questions!

Seems like a lovely guy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Does anyone remember Brendan Keely?

Yes indeed I remember him.and his raspy 90's voice. He seemed to.release a song very other month....All. quite good tbh but all sounded the exact same. His voice reminds me of good /innocent times.

Yes indeed I remember him.and his raspy 90's voice. He seemed to.release a song very other month....All. quite good tbh but all sounded the exact same. His voice reminds me of good /innocent times.

I was head down, ar$e up working today when I heard a song on RC and said to myself, "Your man sounds like BK.". And sure enough when it was over Ronan said it was him and it was his birthday. Not a bad singer in fairness. As I said I saw him in the local a few times and he always put on a good show but got a bit cocky after the "hit".

I was head down, ar$e up working today when I heard a song on RC and said to myself, "Your man sounds like BK.". And sure enough when it was over Ronan said it was him and it was his birthday. Not a bad singer in fairness. As I said I saw him in the local a few times and he always put on a good show but got a bit cocky after the "hit".

Had to google him-didn't know who he was.

Competed in the Voice of Ireland, according to this clip.

Such a bizarre show in retrospect-One hit wonders being judged by one hit wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

He`s now a radio producer in RTE. Produces stuff like the Lavhline and the Ray Darcy show. If you are tuned on at the top of the hour when Joe Duffy is thanking his team you hear his name mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Charles haughey
    Faked his own death and is currently plotting to take over
    the world from his island lair.

Does anyone remember Brendan Keely? He had a song called "I'll always be lonely" back around '94 or '95. Apparently it was his birthday today and Ronan Collins played him .

Back then the owner of my local (Tom) used to give him a few weekend slots. After the hit and a bit of fame, Tom rang him to know could he do the following Sunday night. Brendan said, "NO. I don't play in backstreet toilets any more.".

Fast forward a year and Tom got a call from Brendan asking had he any weekend nights free. He was told in no uncertain terms where to go.
    :pac: That's why they say 'be nice to the people you meet on the way up'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭George White

Skid X wrote: »
    There's a programme on TG4 on Sunday about the Bachelors

10.30pm Ceol on Chlann - The Bachelors
    Dublin brothers Conleth and Declan Cluskey remember forming Irish singing group the Bachelors and the four years of success they enjoyed with songs including I Believe, Charmaine, The Stars Will Remember, Ramona and Diane

Del Boy's favourite band, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

He's also been involved in allegedly planting a story about Skydive Ireland on Liveline, though I can't provide a link for that as it appears to have been removed from their Facebook page - it was covered on the Liveline Thread though. Aonghus you see is involved in some capacity or a member of a rival parachuting club......

gossip.jpg

ButtersSuki, allegedly..

Still listed in Liveline's day to day programme listing.. went on for two days. Issues about expiring coupons.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/0917/728495-liveline-thursday-17-september-2015/

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/0918/728757-liveline-friday-18-september-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Amalgam wrote: »
    gossip.jpg

ButtersSuki, allegedly..

Still listed in Liveline's day to day programme listing.. went on for two days. Issues about expiring coupons.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/0917/728495-liveline-thursday-17-september-2015/

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/0918/728757-liveline-friday-18-september-2015/

:rolleyes:

Can’t even be bothered to comment further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Was browsing in a charity shop over the weekend and spotted a cd by Hazel Kaneswaran. There's a name that's vanished into obscurity.

Well, we can scratch Bunny Carr off of this list. RIP.
    Was browsing in a charity shop over the weekend and spotted a cd by Hazel Kaneswaran. There's a name that's vanished into obscurity.

She pops up every now and then come Eurosong time. Often has an act she manages. Wasn't her brother in The Wanted or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

She used to work in ThermoKing in Blanchardstown and was in a pop group called Dove (Dubh) with two black guys.

Her son was in some band not sure if they made it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

She covered U2's "A Sort of Homecoming" on Today FM's "Even Better than the Real Thing" series...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_Better_Than_the_Real_Thing_Vol._3

Found it online...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

On behalf of that shower in Kilkenny?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

You have to give it to him. He was some character!!! He pissed off so many serious people he was run out of Dublin. Then they screwed up his business in Manhattan. Then had him thrown in Prison in New York where he made load of mob connections for future business endeavors. Then more or less walks free...... Gotta hand it to the guy He had a neck like a jockeys bo%&ocks

Wasn't he charged with stealing paintings at one point, think he got off though?

She used to work in ThermoKing in Blanchardstown and was in a pop group called Dove (Dubh) with two black guys.

Her son was in some band not sure if they made it or not.

Yeah-they changed to be more 'internationally friendly' as Dove.

Her son? You sure about that? I believe it was her brother, Siva. He was in the Wanted, so he was successful for a while. Her kids aren't old enough for the music industry, oldest is only 15.

Apparently she writes/ wrote songs for Jedward, and now works as a Reiki practitioner.

• Advertisement

Wasn't he charged with stealing paintings at one point, think he got off though?

Not sure what the outcome was..... "it was payment in lieu" or something to that effect, settled out of court. Either way I would stay well clear of him. During the Celtic Tiger years he could do no wrong but it was an empire built on sand and (bad) credit.

Not sure what the outcome was..... "it was payment in lieu" or something to that effect, settled out of court. Either way I would stay well clear of him. During the Celtic Tiger years he could do no wrong but it was an empire built on sand and (bad) credit.

He was the most irritating, smug douche you'd ever see on telly. Wasn't he interviewed on Gerry Ryan's show, and Gerry didn't ask the hard questions. Probably because he was coked/ drunk off his head, so didn't know who he was interviewing.

When he 'returned' to Ireland, he pulled the same crap on people-then did the 'no, no, everything's fine' when the people who made the sign for his restaurant took it back because he didn't pay them. And then rumours of his staff going unpaid emerged too... :mad:

TV3 gave him two reality tv shows, where things went bad behind the scenes as well. He left the country (for the second time) owing about €100000, minimum, in debts.
    A few folks on boards were saying they wouldn't go near his restaurant, because nearly everyone knew someone he'd screwed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Katy French

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Katy French

That's not very funny .. .. the girls got family around Ireland. ..have a bit of respect

That's not very funny .. .. the girls got family around Ireland. ..have a bit of respect

Once you start doing drugs you have lost my respect. It was bad but then that Tosser Gavin Lambe-Murphy came on the TV making out it was the governments fault and talking how much craic they had going into restaurants and spending all night sitting at tables and ordering nothing. That made bad into worse. Pair of twats.

TV3 gave him two reality tv shows, where things went bad behind the scenes as well. He left the country (for the second time) owing about €100000, minimum, in debts.
    A few folks on boards were saying they wouldn't go near his restaurant, because nearly everyone knew someone he'd screwed over.

Who the **** is going to give you credit after you have a load of legal bills and bankrupt? I met lads who worked for him, just to get names on CV's and they said he was abusive and demeaning in the kitchen. It was Dominque Kemp who kept his books straight (as she could) but when he left her the wheels came off the wagon

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Katy French

Probably the most irritating 'z-lister' Ireland ever produced.

Joan Rivers had a great saying about Anna Nicole Smith-'if the universe gives you everything, and you throw it back in it's face-f**k you!'.
    It applied doubly for French.

She was given it all, tbh. Free publicity, good looks, brains, business savvy (annoying as she was, she kept herself in the papers)...and she snorted it all away, and killed herself.
    She died in 2008, Gerry Ryan died in 2010, both of em from cocaine... I have no pity for either of em, but I do pity the families left behind.

She sort of became a symbol of the Celtic Tiger excess- a complete waste.

Was browsing in a charity shop over the weekend

Charity shops Entertainment section? A graveyard of broken dreams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Pamela Flood, former model and Off the Rails TV presenter.

• Advertisement

Who the **** is going to give you credit after you have a load of legal bills and bankrupt? I met lads who worked for him, just to get names on CV's and they said he was abusive and demeaning in the kitchen. It was Dominque Kemp who kept his books straight (as she could) but when he left her the wheels came off the wagon

He was a con-man, no doubt. And people were dumb enough to give him money for his restaurant. There's a reason the country went into a major recession... because of hucksters like Gallagher. I remember my brother had a right pain getting a loan to buy a car, despite my parents helping out and so on, the banks didn't wanna know (Credit union helped him out-paid off the loan with his job and parent's helped on insurance).

Meanwhile Gallagher was getting hundreds of thousands to pay for restaurants nobody was going into. And then never paid the loans off-and went to another country where he racked up huge bills (under another name-his birth name) and didn't pay them off either. And the scummiest thing is, if he came back to Ireland, he'd have money thrown at him again-cos he's a scumbag.
    Once you start doing drugs you have lost my respect. It was bad but then that Tosser Gavin Lambe-Murphy came on the TV making out it was the governments fault and talking how much craic they had going into restaurants and spending all night sitting at tables and ordering nothing. That made bad into worse. Pair of twats.

Yep-Celtic Tiger wasters. Didn't he lose his job after bragging about crap, despite him making less than someone on unemployment assistance?
    And he added the 'Lambe' to his name-to make himself sound posh. Total scrounger, he hung out at Lillies, and Krystles as well, I think-but those places were dives anyway. The Sunday World's entertainment section kept that place employed.
    Pamela Flood, former model and Off the Rails TV presenter.

Was on an RTE show called Healthy Appetite a few months back... it was absolutely s**t. I think the Indo called it 'guess who's ruining the dinner?'
    And she reminded us all why she hasn't been on tv for ten years.

Advertisement