Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

L1011 wrote: »
    Still definitely going and having top 40 singles etc.

300 copies got David O'Doherty to number 30 some years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Less than that-I think it was 30 copies or so. And it got him to number 29 or so. (He wanted to get to number 27).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Less than that-I think it was 30 copies or so. And it got him to number 29 or so. (He wanted to get to number 27).

I genuinely can't remember, I know he picked a lull time after the new year to give him a good chance... but always thought it was a couple of hundred.

I genuinely can't remember, I know he picked a lull time after the new year to give him a good chance... but always thought it was a couple of hundred.

This is bizarre-it has a wiki entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(song)

You were right-312 singles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Top 40 in the UK still requires a bit more than that.

Not much though!

Used Top 40 as I'd always take that to refer to the UK, Top 30 being here. That's basically from what the TV chart shows used to cover when I was a kid - Top 30 Hits here and all the various UK ones going to 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Ray Darcy ... oops sorry. Thought this was the "Wishful thinking" thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Here's a couple of good examples. The guy who played Jimmy Rabbitte in the Commitments, he disappeared into total obscurity once the hype died down. Andrew Strong seemed to do well for a while with his solo singing career but he faded out of view eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Here's a couple of good examples. The guy who played Jimmy Rabbitte in the Commitments, he disappeared into total obscurity once the hype died down. Andrew Strong seemed to do well for a while with his solo singing career but he faded out of view eventually.

He doesn't seem to have any connection to this...
    http://publin.ie/2017/jimmy-rabbittes-the-new-pub-on-camden-street/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The band Ash.

Seriously, the thread isn't about people/bands who have a slightly lower profile than they had at their peak.

Ash are still doing sell out concerts and releasing music. They didn't "suddenly vanish out of the spotlight"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what happened to all those people that were on those talent shows a decade ago. like 6ix etc

what happened to all those people that were on those talent shows a decade ago. like 6ix etc

Liam McKenna became Jedward's publicist, and then moved into PR, I think.

The wan who replaced Nadine Coyle has a kid and is still doing music.

One guy went into tech and got married.

The Kyle guy got married (to a woman, he was often thought to be gay).

The Cork wan became a politician, also married.

And Emma O'Driscoll - well, a friend worked with her on a Panto in Limerick, as well as another worked on Graphic Design for the similar panto. She used to be presenting (the Den, and then later kids tv before RTE shut it down). She got married, set up her own production company, and it was revealed in the news papers in March that she's expecting her first child.

Emma is a genuinely nice person, from what I've heard.

All stayed in touch, often meeting up at each others weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Liam McKenna became Jedward's publicist, and then moved into PR, I think.

The wan who replaced Nadine Coyle has a kid and is still doing music.

One guy went into tech and got married.

The Kyle guy got married (to a woman, he was often thought to be gay).

The Cork wan became a politician, also married.

And Emma O'Driscoll - well, a friend worked with her on a Panto in Limerick, as well as another worked on Graphic Design for the similar panto. She used to be presenting (the Den, and then later kids tv before RTE shut it down). She got married, set up her own production company, and it was revealed in the news papers in March that she's expecting her first child.

Emma is a genuinely nice person, from what I've heard.

All stayed in touch, often meeting up at each others weddings.

How come there are so many production companies in Ireland? For such a small country, would the bulk of them not be priced out of the market? It seems like everyone connected with showbiz in Ireland has one.

Are they really just a tax fiddle or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Didnt Andrew Strong do a Coca Cola ad? I thought he did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

Yes, Robert Arkins. He wasn't an actor, but a musician. Has continued in the industry.

The Late Late Show creepy head turn staring man, there seems to be no footage of him out there, quite literally vanished. RTE hit it all with copyright strikes.

The Late Late Show creepy head turn staring man, there seems to be no footage of him out there, quite literally vanished. RTE hit it all with copyright strikes.

You've kind of lost me. What creepy head turn man?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Le Tigre & Blue Steel. :)

No, those guys were just copying him. Original head turn man was a Dave McSavage lookalike with glasses and he was creepy as fcuk when he did his head turn thing. I think it was while Richard Dreyfuss was being interviewed that he appeared. The weird thing is that the clip of him was all over the place for a while, on Youtube, a gif etc but in the space of a month or so it all seemed to be gone, in the case of YT it was through RTE having it removed via copyright.

Edit: Found a few still images of him and Broadsheet link.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/12/07/scary-late-late-audience-guy/

Lol! Found the gif.

IMG_1365.gif

• Advertisement

Missed that completely, not sure how he qualifies as a "celeb" though!

Missed that completely, not sure how he qualifies as a "celeb" though!

Well he was briefly a cleb of sorts, like the guy slipping on the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Lol! Found the gif.

IMG_1365.gif
    ... Mr Bond, I've been expecting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well he was briefly a cleb of sorts, like the guy slipping on the ice.

I think such celebrities have an in-built short shelf life, it wasn't so much that they vanished out of the spotlight, rather the spotlight went elsewhere :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Jason O Callaghan formerly of the Sindo seems to have dropped off the radar. I remember his main thing was celebrity gossip in the vein of Barry Egan.

Jason O Callaghan formerly of the Sindo seems to have dropped off the radar. I remember his main thing was celebrity gossip in the vein of Barry Egan.

He's a hypnotherapist now-not even joking.

https://www.d4clinic.ie/hypnotherapist-dublin/

In Brendan O Connors early days in the Sindo I used to sometimes get the two of them mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

In Brendan O Connors early days in the Sindo I used to sometimes get the two of them mixed up.

It's easy to mix up Sindo hacks . They all spout the same sh1te from the same hymnsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

Jedward

• Advertisement

Giving it full on Blue Steel in that pic.

Wasn't he in some Sinatra Tribute show for a while too?

The bio from that website is amusing, esp. the part I've highlighted in red:
    Jason O’Callaghan is a trained psychologist.
    He holds a honors degree is Psychology and a Masters degree in Applied Psychology from Trinity College Dublin.
    For his Masters research he was named in the 2012 Trinity College Roll of Honor after he developed a stress reduction program for cancer patients.
    He is the only known practicing hypnotherapist in Ireland to hold a Masters in Psychology from Trinity College. He is also one of only three known hypnotists in Ireland to have an Honors degree in Psychology accredited by the Psychological Society of Ireland.
    He is also one of only three hypnotherapists in Ireland trained in America as a Certified Instructor by the world famous National Guild of Hypnotists.
    He is also qualified in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) receiving his training from The Institute of Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy (IICP).
    He holds qualifications in Counselling from National University of Ireland in Maynooth and is a certified member of the National Guild of Hypnotists (NGH).
    He also holds a Higher National Diploma in Media and worked for ten years interviewing world leaders, celebrities and international businessmen as part of his role as a journalist for Ireland’s biggest newspaper The Sunday Independent.

Advertisement