Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Inviere wrote: »
    Very weird. Iirc the switchless mod merely switches regions by using an IC to control what bridge points are connected/not connected, and doesn't interfere with video output whatsoever (apart from doing what it should re 50/60Hz) :confused:

Yeah I can't understand it at all. I didn't do the mod myself on this one so not sure what was done internally. I might open up the console and have a look, although not sure I'd know what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

All the mod is the addition of a microcontroller to set the logic values on the region jumpers. Should have no effect on the video output apart from the sync rate.

Very bizarre and really difficult to diagnose without getting stuck in. Time to invest in a scope I reckon, you'd trace back the problem in a few minutes - they really are invaluable for this sort of stuff even the simple USB based ones are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Couple of new nes games. Like how quick and responsive turrican is, downside is the scrolling starts a bit too late.

IMAG0061.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

How much did a minty JP Saturn set you back? I'm kind of tempted to pick one up because I never had one and the emulation is iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

All the mod is the addition of a microcontroller to set the logic values on the region jumpers. Should have no effect on the video output apart from the sync rate.

Very bizarre and really difficult to diagnose without getting stuck in. Time to invest in a scope I reckon, you'd trace back the problem in a few minutes - they really are invaluable for this sort of stuff even the simple USB based ones are good.

I've been looking around for a scope for the last month or so. I've been jumping back and forth between wanting a nice fancy modern digital one and then wanting a more classic retro tube scope.
    I'm liking the Tektronics 760a, but not sure it would be useful for working on electronics as it seems more audio related. Dunno, I'm very much a scope noob :)

Everything so pricey though :0/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Trying the ODroid Go and it's Spectrum emulator...
    Poor old Speccy has not aged well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How much did a minty JP Saturn set you back? I'm kind of tempted to pick one up because I never had one and the emulation is iffy.

€160 but €30 of that was shipping. It was a bit of a premium price as it was from a game shop in the UK and I got it sent over directly rather than with Parcel Motel/AddressPal as I didn't want to risk it.

I've wanted a white Saturn for a long time and it will be a Christmas present from the GF so didn't need to worry about going a bit extra on the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I've been looking around for a scope for the last month or so. I've been jumping back and forth between wanting a nice fancy modern digital one and then wanting a more classic retro tube scope.
    I'm liking the Tektronics 760a, but not sure it would be useful for working on electronics as it seems more audio related. Dunno, I'm very much a scope noob :)

Everything so pricey though :0/

These usb scopes are more that adequate for most retro stuff, especially AV and power supply issues ~ €120.
    https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2000/picoscope-2000-overview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭BGOllie

accensi0n wrote: »
    Couple of new nes games. Like how quick and responsive turrican is, downside is the scrolling starts a bit too late.

IMAG0061.jpg

there was turrican for the NES ?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

BGOllie wrote: »
    there was turrican for the NES ?? :eek:

The last ninja 2 was also released on NES, it's horrible though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

10 Great Games I and II from Gremlin Graphics for the ZX Spectrum. Neither in great nick, but under a fiver for both, so I'm happy. Amazing it's still in one piece. Crazy design.

2eqdyeu.jpg

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

accensi0n wrote: »

Original game is like that as well.

Some miscellaneous pickups. I've been looking for a keyboard for a little while but the prices were a bit high. This one popped up with a decent buy it now price that I got even lower with an offer. Got a deal on the games and also have a Japanese copy of Typing of the Dead which I also got on offer :)

aQtuSVH.jpg

sugarman wrote: »
    The Rage were actually clearing them off for a fiver in box earlier! Was going to pick one up myself but I don't need anymore unnecessary accessories I'd use once in a blue moon taking up space.

... saying that, I bought several copies of Mega Games 1 for €2 each to use as doner carts / everdrive cases while there!

I couldn't use something with Super Hang On as a doner cart!

Instead I used an Andy Palmer golf game haha.

sugarman wrote: »
    The Rage were actually clearing them off for a fiver in box earlier! Was going to pick one up myself but I don't need anymore unnecessary accessories I'd use once in a blue moon taking up space.

... saying that, I bought several copies of Mega Games 1 for €2 each to use as doner carts / everdrive cases while there!

Yeah, I saw that the day before mine arrived in the post. I was looking at one in there the other week but it was in poor condition. Judging from their picture it looked like one or two of them were in decent shape though! I didn't think they'd have a pile of them :P

grabbed this at a charity shop for 50c . never heard of it but I was intrigued
    40526763_10156671499263276_7987820987880046592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8852cbc00ac10ac7fd683fdb6cf397e6&oe=5C323378

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It's not a bad game, that was a great price. Psyvariar Delta was only released a few days ago for the Switch and the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,565 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BGOllie wrote: »
    grabbed this at a charity shop for 50c . never heard of it but I was intrigued
    40526763_10156671499263276_7987820987880046592_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8852cbc00ac10ac7fd683fdb6cf397e6&oe=5C323378

I've the first one of them for my Gnet board, fun game - really good soundtrack, sounds great coming out of an arcade machine.

Looks a lot harder with all the bullet patterns then it is in reality, your hitbox is tiny (and you can 'buzz' bullets for a extra points)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Went to a guys house in London (he makes Youtube videos under the account Saur) in 2002 for a Virtua Fighter 4 tournament and he was addicted to Psyvariar so he was playing that after and doing amazing stuff. I bought it afterwards and had a lot of fun with the game too. Grazing bullets has probably become a more commonplace mechanic since but that one really took it to an extreme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have that PS2 one and the earlier one for the PS, that PS game is almost identical to the Gnet title, being on common hardware.
    I didn't enjoy the PS/Gnet title all that much, I think it paled in comparison to the likes of the Psikyo games on the same console.
    But they aren't bad and the risk/reward system is pretty good, I think it is included as one of the available systems in the ABA game rRootage, along with ones based on Ikargua and Giga Wing, not bad company at all!

• Advertisement

went to another charity shop I hadn't been in over a year and... found this... :O ... for €2 ... in 2018 .

40685397_10156677898063276_8507134464416022528_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8dae8992a25a3050e0ca14b0f611f527&oe=5BEFB5FD

This has been on the list a few years now but was always out of stock whenever I looked. The Rage got a few, price is more or less the same as what you'd pay with shipping from Data Records themselves. Although if you were getting 2-3 I imagine the shipping would work out better from the UK.

4PiUjEq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It's back in Stock actually!

https://data-discs.com/products/shinobi3

You can also get Data Discs delivered to Parcel Motel to cut down on shipping costs... as their default shipping to Ireland is a tad excessive.

Just ordered the Space Harrier soundtrack myself as I've been playing a fair bit of it in the Shenmue re-release... and the music is awesome!

Yeah I saw they were back in stock. Didn't think about getting it shipped over though. They're fairly pricey so would have only got the one anyway. Sure my parking was free today so it worked out grand :P

I'd like OutRun but only because it looks cool, I prefer the soundtrack on OutRun 2. I might get Streets of Rage, although I much prefer SoR2. Super Hang On would have been nice but sold out. They're certainly nice additions to the game room, admittedly I won't be playing them :(

I see a lot of praise for the soundtrack for Shenmue but haven't really noticed it. Must give it a listen.

I have a bunch of them myself already. Sonic Mania, Shenmue, OutRun 2 (the interchangeable covers on the special edition are pretty nice), Streets of Rage 1 & 2 & The Revenge of Shinobi.

I love putting the little posters you get with them in Vinyl shaped frames too.

If you're a Sonic the Hedgehog fan there's also a crowd that are doing the Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 soundtracks on Vinyl also. Have those too!

http://bravewave.fangamer.com/products/sonic-adventure-vinyl-ost

MrVestek wrote: »
    I have a bunch of them myself already. Sonic Mania, Shenmue, OutRun 2 (the interchangeable covers on the special edition are pretty nice), Streets of Rage 1 & 2 & The Revenge of Shinobi.

I love putting the little posters you get with them in Vinyl shaped frames too.

If you're a Sonic the Hedgehog fan there's also a crowd that are doing the Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 soundtracks on Vinyl also. Have those too!

http://bravewave.fangamer.com/products/sonic-adventure-vinyl-ost

You'll have to be the designated DJ at the next beers, vinyl set too so no purists can criticize your choice of media.

Doge wrote: »
    You'll have to be the designated DJ at the next beers, vinyl set too so no purists can criticize your choice of media.

Challenge accepted. :P

Here's the setup too for anyone that cares about vinyl.

Everything on this unit is routing through my 5.1 surround sound system, including the USS Defiant shaped CD player.

460519.jpg

Challenge accepted. :P

Here's the setup too for anyone that cares about vinyl.

Everything on this unit is routing through my 5.1 surround sound system, including the USS Defiant shaped CD player.

460519.jpg

Get a big enough power rangers helmet also so you can DJ Deadmou5 style!

Doge wrote: »
    Get a big enough power rangers helmet also so you can DJ Deadmou5 style!

That helmet is people sized.

• Advertisement

That helmet is people sized.

Oh cool, the way its sitting on the stand made me think it was sealed at the bottom for some reason.

LOL at the old telephone!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement