Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

A chance for the Pope to do the right thing by the abuse survivors and let them see those responsible for their suffering dealt with properly.

He accused victims of abuse in Chile of lying but you think he'll do the right thing here? You can't seriously be that naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    He accused victims of abuse in Chile of lying but you think he'll do the right thing here? You can't seriously be that naïve.

So many going claiming that they are not supporting the RCC and the regime in charge of it. How wrong they are. Attendance is support and validation of how the RCC operates. There are no two ways about it. The only way for memebers to get the RCC to start changing is by not attending. They will count every head in the park and pat themselves on the back.

Faith can be practiced anywhere. The Garden of Remembrance would be an ideal place to practice faith and show Christianity on Sunday from 2.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They played a really cool vid on RTE about the Pope last nigth.

When Benedict conducted his final Mas as Pope. At the end every Cardinal bowed and kissed his ring.

A Prince of the Church. His last act as an underling.
    To see Papa Francisco do it , hours before he becomes the Boss of all Bosses.

I love this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They played a really cool vid on RTE about the Pope last nigth.

When Benedict conducted his final Mas as Pope. At the end every Cardinal bowed and kissed his ring.

A Prince of the Church. His last act as an underling.
    To see Papa Francisco do it , hours before he becomes the Boss of all Bosses.

I love this man.

The fact that some (well everyone bar the pope) are "underlings" says a lot. Kissing someones ring ? Would you ever get to ****. These people sneer at the poor.

How come the vow of poverty doesn't apply to the Vatican? Liquidate (literally) all that gold they have and actually do good for poor people they claim to care about.

Hitler's biggest mistake seems to have not been more secretive about killing people and his ideologies. He should have done the rounds , hugged a few Jews and patted them on the head.

If the leader of any other country in the world decided his "subjects" should kiss his ring and bow before him, everyone would be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Once again you and they can spin it as much as you like - I do not, never have and never will support the horrible things the church as done.

I’m going because of my faith and to support the good men and women of the church who have been unfairly maligned by the scandals of recent years. And that’s really all there is to it.

if they were as good as you say they are they would have handed over the abusers or left in disgust that the church wont. Blind Faith is what has allowed all the abuse and money grabbing to continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The fact that some (well everyone bar the pope) are "underlings" says a lot. Kissing someones ring ? Would you ever get to ****. These people sneer at the poor.

How come the vow of poverty doesn't apply to the Vatican? Liquidate (literally) all that gold they have and actually do good for poor people they claim to care about.

Hitler's biggest mistake seems to have not been more secretive about killing people and his ideologies. He should have done the rounds , hugged a few Jews and patted them on the head.

If the leader of any other country in the world decided his "subjects" should kiss his ring and bow before him, everyone would be up in arms.

That would be the Franciscans, not that actual church.
    Nice Godwin there as well.

Reading the last few pages, and I am surprised that people who as so vexed about the church have so little no knowledge about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Look I’m not going to get into any arguments here or spend this thread trying to justify myself to anyone. I tried in the other thread and got lambasted and ended up inadvertently hurting and upsetting people.

I’ll simplt say what I’ve said from the start - I’m going to the park tomorrow, I’ve given my reasons and they are not what a lot of people here would like them to be.

I do not condone child abuse or anyone of the crimes committed by the church but neither can I change my faith nor will I hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

markodaly wrote: »
    Reading the last few pages, and I am surprised that people who as so vexed about the church have so little no knowledge about it.

Do you need knowledge of the workings of the church to be disgusted by the levels of abuse in it?

markodaly wrote:
    All one needs to know about the CC is the systemic rape, abuse of children and cover up.

• Advertisement

I do not condone child abuse or anyone of the crimes committed by the church but neither can I change my faith nor will I hide it.

Whether you wish to admit it or not you are going to show your support for the leader of an organisation than engaged in the widespread rape and abuse of children. Your faith can be practiced anywhere. So please stop being a hypocrite.

All one needs to know about the CC is the systemic rape, abuse of children and cover up.

All they need to know? No room for the whys or the hows, just room for Trump-like levels of critical thinking.

Blinkers on. I know what they did was bad but I don’t see it when it doesn’t suit.

markodaly wrote:
    All they need to know? No room for the whys or the hows, just room for Trump-like levels of critical thinking.

Why's or how's?Are you trying to justify child abuse and rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

If he was in my front garden I'd move house.

It wouldn't be your front garden then. I thought all atheists would be all over this lad as he believes in a lot of the stuff they believe, evolution being one example.

Blinkers on. I know what they did was bad but I don’t see it when it doesn’t suit.

See post #1453

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Mikenesson wrote: »
    I already seen him back in 78

Even though he wasn't here until 79.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That would be the Franciscans, not that actual church.
    Nice Godwin there as well.
    Nice avoiding of the actual issues.

Is the gold encrusted Palace full of very expensive stuff really necessary for a charitable group to function? While also begging for donations from the congregation.

Whether you wish to admit it or not you are going to show your support for the leader of an organisation than engaged in the widespread rape and abuse of children. Your faith can be practiced anywhere. So please stop being a hypocrite.

Your a SF supporter. You and your like supported a leader of the party for over 25 years, who was a high ranking member of a terrorist organisation, engaged in murder, maiming, violence and torture of men, women, and children. So please stop being a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Not going to the Phoenix Park isn't hiding or changing your faith.

You may not condone the mass rape of children - and the systematic covering up of this, and spreading it around the world - but attending a mass given by the one person who might make amends to the survivors - as well as try to prevent it happening right now is something that all attendees should think about.

• Advertisement

Yes anywhere including in the Park if I choose.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Even though he wasn't here until 79.

Sure they’ve changed leadsinger a couple of times since then too. The songs are the same though as are the backing singers. The cheerleaders however adhere to the “see no evil hear no evil speak no evil” approach. Alls good, nothing to see even though they are drowning in evidence to the contrary.

Nice avoiding of the actual issues.

What are the actual issues here?

I don't think you are here to engage in an actual conversation here, you just want to spout half-truths and lies in order to feel good about yourself.

markodaly wrote:
    Your a SF supporter. You and your like supported a leader of the party for over 25 years, who was a high ranking member of a terrorist organisation, engaged in murder, maiming, violence and torture of men, women, and children. So please stop being a hypocrite.

Never have supported SF but what has politics got to do with the visit of Frank?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Well, they also need to know if the church has done anything significant to make reparations or prevent future abuse. No on both counts.

That's all anyone needs to know.

Achasanai wrote: »
    Not going to the Phoenix Park isn't hiding or changing your faith.

You may not condone the mass rape of children - and the systematic covering up of this, and spreading it around the world - but attending a mass given by the one person who might make amends to the survivors - as well as try to prevent it happening right now is something that all attendees should think about.

What makes you think we don’t think about it? I have struggled with my faith for years and even tried to make myself stopped believing as a way support the victims of the church but it just didn’t sit right with me.

I’m sorry for any hurt that might cause you and others but I can’t change what I believe.

If I were to choose not to go to the park now it would only give more ammunition to those who want to believe I think it’s ok to hurt children. They’d jump on it as an admition of guilt by me.

Yes anywhere including in the Park if I choose.

When Frank is there with the rest of the hierarchy that covered up the abuse of children?

Why's or how's?Are you trying to justify child abuse and rape?

LOL, a big leap there my friend.

Don;t want to engage in the ladybird version of history = justify child abuse.

Oh, the answer is no, of course :rolleyes:

So, again, no room for the hows and why?

That's all anyone needs to know.

Sure didn't Frank accuse Chilean abuse victims of being liars. I can really see him being a shining beacon for full disclosure of the crimes committed by the clergy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It wouldn't be your front garden then. I thought all atheists would be all over this lad as he believes in a lot of the stuff they believe, evolution being one example.

Plenty of terrible people also believe in gravity and the thermal properties of CO2. Should we give them a free pass on crimes generally or just cover ups and the like?

Advertisement