Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does anyone know if you can drive out of the city after 6pm tomorrow? The Garda website tells me most roads open at that time.

Does anyone know if you can drive out of the city after 6pm tomorrow? The Garda website tells me most roads open at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Ticket for the golden circle finally arrived. I’ll be wearing this shirt

The pit is going to be insane :D see you there....

:pac:

Jesus-bloodstock-cradle-of-filth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Happy4all wrote: »
    Which is the must see gig, Croker or the PP?

Is the croker gig free in?

Are we paying the GAA for that too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don’t know but I’d be very interested in the answer. I’ve to get the boat back over at about 8pm and our normal route would be through Chapelizod and straight up the quays to the port. I suspect I’ll have to go M50 and then tunnel.

I’m still amazed this farce is so popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

vicwatson wrote: »

I'd say they are being well covered and then some. They've been very good friends with the RCC for a long time.
    theteal wrote: »

Why, a huge proportion of the population here still partakes in the RCC activities? Expecting a crowd of 100K to line the streets of Dublin tomorrow for the parade. Was hoping that myself and the Mrs could go into the city on one of her rare days off but that's put that to bed. Sunday will be a complete disaster in the city centre.

theteal wrote: »
    I don’t know but I’d be very interested in the answer. I’ve to get the boat back over at about 8pm and our normal route would be through Chapelizod and straight up the quays to the port. I suspect I’ll have to go M50 and then tunnel.

Some entrances to the M50 are closed but I don't know how restricted they are. Have a look on aa roadwatch site. The Irish Times says that it won't be possible to drive anywhere on Sunday. If the roads are opened back up at 6pm on Saturday then surely that means we can drive.

Some entrances to the M50 are closed but I don't know how restricted they are. Have a look on aa roadwatch site. The Irish Times says that it won't be possible to drive anywhere on Sunday. If the roads are opened back up at 6pm on Saturday then surely that means we can drive.

Thought so but with a huge volume of people trying to get back out of the city centre, it'll probably be a bit of mare.

Berserker wrote: »
    Thought so but with a huge volume of people trying to get back out of the city centre, it'll probably be a bit of mare.

This is it. We can drive but like you say a bit of a mare. Leaving after 9pm might be the best shot for those who don't have to make flights etc. I drove out the morning of Pride and my nerves were shot. Driving around in circles I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I’m going with my mother and grandmother and am looking forward to it.

Now before anyone starts throwing accusations at me - no I do not condone child abuse, no I am not homophobic and no I do not think it’s ok to look down on unmarried mothers, people living together out of marriage or the children born to them. I voted to legalize gay marriage and to repeal the eighth.

It is possible to have faith and still be capable of free and intelligent thinking. It’s possible to believe in God and still believe that the above mentioned are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Now before anyone starts throwing accusations at me - no I do not condone child abuse, no I am not homophobic and no I do not think it’s ok to look down on unmarried mothers, people living together out of marriage or the children born to them. I voted to legalize gay marriage and to repeal the eighth.

It is possible to have faith and still be capable of free and intelligent thinking. It’s possible to believe in God and still believe that the above mentioned are wrong.

Isn't that more a belief in god rather than catholicism? I don't get the need for a middle man, especially this particular middle man

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Self determining your religion and faith and beliefs has a whack of protestantism about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

What has believing in God to do with seeing the head of the RCC?
    You are linking your faith and God to a corrupt leader of a corrupt organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

vicwatson wrote: »

Are you anti GAA also?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

DChancer wrote: »
    What has believing in God to do with seeing the head of the RCC?
    You are linking your faith and God to a corrupt leader of a corrupt organization.

I am by no means a Catholic, or religious. Nor will I be going to see the Pope. But the post you replied to is a person who has a faith. They voted for repeal and voted for gay marriage, a liberal approach.

they condemn the cover ups and abuse of the RCC. But they're going ro something with friends/family because they want to.

Make no mistake, I repeat again, screw the church in my opinion.

But this cherry picking form of liberalism is annoying. People might be okay with others attending/voicing their support for issues that they agree with. But if you don't agree with them its an attack.

True liberalism is accepting that people have a right to go to whatever the hell they want. You may not agree with it, but you agree to disagree. Hence I haven't bothered posting in this forum. Take a "leave them at it" approach.

A group could hire a field next week and cover themselves in faeces for all I care.

You either accept free speech and expression or you don't. If you cherrypick, by trying to be liberal on some issues, you are ironically trying to sensor others.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Get Real wrote: »
    I am by no means a Catholic, or religious. Nor will I be going to see the Pope. But the post you replied to is a person who has a faith. They voted for repeal and voted for gay marriage, a liberal approach.

they condemn the cover ups and abuse of the RCC. But they're going ro something with friends/family because they want to.

Make no mistake, I repeat again, screw the church in my opinion.

But this cherry picking form of liberalism is annoying. People might be okay with others attending/voicing their support for issues that they agree with. But if you don't agree with them its an attack.

True liberalism is accepting that people have a right to go to whatever the hell they want. You may not agree with it, but you agree to disagree. Hence I haven't bothered posting in this forum. Take a "leave them at it" approach.

A group could hire a field next week and cover themselves in faeces for all I care.

You either accept free speech and expression or you don't. If you cherrypick, by trying to be liberal on some issues, you are ironically trying to sensor others.

If we disagree with something are we not allowed to say so? Must we disagree silently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

The problem as I see it is that your presence will be spun by the rcc as condoning the above even though you don't.

Thanks for your honest posts and I hope you and your family enjoy your day.

The problem as I see it is that your presence will be spun by the rcc as condoning the above even though you don't.

Thanks for your honest posts and I hope you and your family enjoy your day.

They and the posters on this thread can spin it all they want, it doesn’t make them right.

I know why I’m going as do the people who know me best and that’s what gives me strength to admit I’m going.

If we disagree with something are we not allowed to say so? Must we disagree silently?

I don’t mind you disagreeing with me, if we all thought the same life would be very boring.

Where I have a problem though is the assumption that my choice to attend the Mass must mean I support the horrible things the church did.

To be clear I hate what the church has become and how it has made it a near crime to say I believe in God or I am a Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fryup wrote: »
    can we put our GF's on our shoulders ?

Only if they're willing to take their tops off so they can appear on the big screen.

Life ain't always empty.

Are you anti GAA also?

For asking a question about whether they are getting paid or not?
    I know why I’m going as do the people who know me best and that’s what gives me strength to admit I’m going.

Fair play to you and I hope you have a great day. Wouldn't pay too much attention to what's posted on here.

I was chatting to woman earlier who works in Debenhams. It's open tomorrow. I thought most places would be shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Why would they be shut?

If he was in my front garden I'd move house.

If he was in my front garden, I’d start flogging loaves and fish to the crowds, I hear they go mad for those.

Why would they be shut?

I thought with all the road closures and things. They way people have been talking it seems that town will be impossible to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I was chatting to woman earlier who works in Debenhams. It's open tomorrow. I thought most places would be shut.

run by protestants :mad:

There are going to be 100K people, the majority middle aged, roaming around the city centre for most of the day. Why would any business shut down for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

pa-8652043-752x501.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

all jokes aside,

for such a catholic country papal visits are few and far between in Ireland...you'd think there would be one at least every 10 yrs or so??

south america seems to get one every second year or so

Advertisement