Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

The problem as I see it is that your presence will be spun by the rcc as condoning the above even though you don't.

and their presence will also be spun as condoning the current Irish authorities and politicians that refuse to prosecute the Irish Bishops responsible for conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

fryup wrote: »
    all jokes aside,

for such a catholic country papal visits are few and far between in Ireland...you'd think there would be one at least every 10 yrs or so??

south america seems to get one every second year or so

I hear he visits Europe every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

all jokes aside,

for such a catholic country papal visits are few and far between in Ireland...you'd think there would be one at least every 10 yrs or so??

Due to the potential for growth, I'd imagine. The RoI has such a high percentage of RCCs that there isn't much room for growth. It's dropped of late, of course but 78% is still a ridiculously high membership rate. South America has far less, so there is plenty of room for expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I don’t mind you disagreeing with me, if we all thought the same life would be very boring.

Where I have a problem though is the assumption that my choice to attend the Mass must mean I support the horrible things the church did.

To be clear I hate what the church has become and how it has made it a near crime to say I believe in God or I am a Catholic.

I'd wager you're not alone in this regard. This presents a unique opportunity for revolution within the church. Time to reclaim your faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I have no respect for the Catholic Church. Their ongoing crimes are beyond forgivable. Thankfully, it has an ever decreasing influence on my daily life. Having said that, I'll probably watch a bit on TV. I'm curious to find out how it will go, level of support, what he says about key issues etc.

I know loads of people who take comfort in their faith, I wouldn't begrudge anyone that, though it's not for me. Each to their own

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd wager you're not alone in this regard. This presents a unique opportunity for revolution within the church. Time to reclaim your faith.

Don't think the RCC operates that way though but I am open to correction. Ireland cannot go off on a limb and re-define certain aspects of the church. They have to stick with the standards of the church, as defined worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Berserker wrote: »
    Due to the potential for growth, I'd imagine. The RoI has such a high percentage of RCCs that there isn't much room for growth. It's dropped of late, of course but 78% is still a ridiculously high membership rate. South America has far less, so there is plenty of room for expansion.

what are you on about? 99% of South America is RC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Why would I want to see the visiting head of the worlds largest child abuse organisation?

This guy is aiding and abetting paedophiles to do what they want & get away with it. If he wanted all the abusers and the churches documentation about the abuse could be turned over to the authorities tomorrow. Instead he'll mumble some platittudes and walz off and forget about it.

Also the church is sexist & discriminates against women.

To paraphrase Roy Keane

If he was playing in my back garden I'd close the curtains

I have no respect for the Catholic Church. Their ongoing crimes are beyond forgivable.

How's your respect for the current Irish authorities and politicians who have failed to question, arrest, issue a search warrant for Irish church files, charge, or put on trial, never mind convict a single criminal Irish bishop for consigning to pervert the course of justice and cover up crimes ? How's your respect for a state that has done nothing to prevent the Church continue to do this, and a state that refuses to enact the criminal justice system against criminal bishops on behalf of victims ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I can't get my head around the blind faith and support of the pope and the catholic church. The pope may well be a nice man in ways but he's not blameless in the continued disgraceful stance of the catholic church with regard to what they've done in the past. All this talk of sorry and please forgive us is completely hollow when there's no actions to back it up. You read stuff like the pope has accepted the resignation of cardinal x. Why not remove them from the church and turn them over to the police rather than accepting their resignation? There's more concern with protecting the church than genuinely trying to heal and compensate (if that's even possible) the victims and I find that disgusting. It's a further abuse and continuing an evil when it preaches it's about goodness and love. I just can't get my head around how people can ignore this and look forward to the visit of the pope.

• Advertisement

Used to be the case but people have been moving towards other Christian churches. Here is a sample study.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I can't get my head around the blind faith and support of the pope and the catholic church.

well in this country nationalism & catholicism goes hand in hand it has to do with our colonist history the whole catholic v protestant thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Belatedly catching up on all the restrictions being imposed on the city to facilitate this chap visiting. It's an absolute joke that the city is being brought to a standstill and the taxpayer expected to subsidise this joker and his photo ops. No matter how many soups he divvies out, he'll always be remembered as a protector of child abusers. The sooner he scuttles back home the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

How's your respect for the current Irish authorities and politicians who have failed to question, arrest, issue a search warrant for Irish church files, charge, or put on trial, never mind convict a single criminal Irish bishop for consigning to pervert the course of justice and cover up crimes ? How's your respect for a state that has done nothing to prevent the Church continue to do this, and a state that refuses to enact the criminal justice system against criminal bishops on behalf of victims ?

Apologies, I must have misread the thread title. I thought it was about the pope's visit

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Wouldn't it be great if he was arrested and questioned on the Vatican's role in the alleged global cover up of abuse.

I wonder is it even Legal to make such an arrest. Does Leo have to wave certain state powers?

Can the pope even get 3 points or is the old yellow reg excuse

Wouldn't it be great if he was arrested and questioned on the Vatican's role in the alleged global cover up of abuse.

I wonder is it even Legal to make such an arrest. Does Leo have to wave certain state powers?

Can the pope even get 3 points or is the old yellow reg excuse

No he as diplomatic immunity, but why has he not been asked by the Irish state to at least volunteer to assist the Gardai with their investigations ? If he refuses that would at least prove his insincerity. Thing is the hypocritical Irish state has no interest in bringing these people to justice.

Never mind the Pope, why have the current Irish authorities not even attempted to bother questioning, searched, charged, trialed, never mind convict a single criminal Irish bishop for perverting the course of justice and covering up crimes ? The current Irish authorities are the only ones than can get the victims some justice, yet they refuse to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No he as diplomatic immunity, but why has he not been asked by the Irish state to at least volunteer to assist the Gardai with their investigations ? If he refuses that would at least prove his insincerity. Thing is the hypocritical Irish state has no interest in bringing these people to justice.

Never mind the Pope, why have the current Irish authorities not even attempted to bother questioning, searched, charged, trialed, never mind convict a single criminal Irish bishop for perverting the course of justice and covering up crimes ? The current Irish authorities are the only ones than can get the victims some justice, yet they refuse to.

Nuns among 12 people arrested in Scotland now as part of an investigation into historical abuse at an orphanage.
    If the Pope was to be quizzed on every abuse story that's come out and with probably a ton more to come, he'd be answering questions for a long time.

Nuns among 12 people arrested in Scotland now as part of an investigation into historical abuse at an orphanage.
    If the Pope was to be quizzed on every abuse story that's come out and with probably a ton more to come, he'd be answering questions for a long time.

Good.

why have the current Irish authorities not even attempted to bother questioning, searched, charged, trialed, never mind convict a single criminal Irish bishop for perverting the course of justice and covering up crimes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Belatedly catching up on all the restrictions being imposed on the city to facilitate this chap visiting. It's an absolute joke that the city is being brought to a standstill and the taxpayer expected to subsidise this joker and his photo ops. No matter how many soups he divvies out, he'll always be remembered as a protector of child abusers. The sooner he scuttles back home the better.

Woah. Edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Got a sneak preview of the stage production; wasn’t impressed don’t think there’ll be any pyrotechnics either but as long as he’s on song. Rare enough that he graces these shores once in a lifetime event...

I trust he’ll be belting out all the hits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Of a family of then 6 siblings being dragged out of the bed at 3.30 in the morning to sleepwalking through a mid hue of light to look at the back of a wall of rainjackets to hear PJP2 in 1979, fast forward 40 years to where none of us are going tomorrow( parents physically unable but I'd wager still wouldn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They want to try to maintain the dominance and influence of the church as the continent grows richer, which they utterly failed to do in Europe.

But.. internet.. young people these days.. wimmins in Argentina looking for abortions... it's a lost cause in the medium term even in the developing world.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Got a sneak preview of the stage production; wasn’t impressed don’t think there’ll be any pyrotechnics either but as long as he’s on song. Rare enough that he graces these shores once in a lifetime event...

I trust he’ll be belting out all the hits.

I hear he mimes some of them and uses Autotune on the rest.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A lot of Latin Americans are protestants these days. The Catholic Church is losing a lot of the population and they are going to other churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

and their presence will also be spun as condoning the current Irish authorities and politicians that refuse to prosecute the Irish Bishops responsible for conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

Once again you and they can spin it as much as you like - I do not, never have and never will support the horrible things the church as done.

I’m going because of my faith and to support the good men and women of the church who have been unfairly maligned by the scandals of recent years. And that’s really all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

P_1 wrote: »

Absolutely - I never really lost my faith but I see this as a chance for reconciliation and recovery. A chance for the Pope to do the right thing by the abuse survivors and let them see those responsible for their suffering dealt with properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All Jews and Muslims are welcome to come see the Holy Father.

We're brothers of the book.

Atheists can come too if they want. You'll also be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The only crowd we don't want is any Protestants or Methodists.

Ah only kidding._.._

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The only crowd we don't want is any Protestants or Methodists.

Ah only kidding._.._

The LGBT community aren’t welcome either.

If the Catholic Church didn’t ignore their own rules there would be no one in attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Absolutely - I never really lost my faith but I see this as a chance for reconciliation and recovery. A chance for the Pope to do the right thing by the abuse survivors and let them see those responsible for their suffering dealt with properly.

He's been pope since 2013. How long do you reckon he needs before he makes actual change, and not just another apology? How long before people realise that he has no interest in initiating change, just like all the other popes before him? He's great at making the right noises depending on who's listening, though.

Five years, and all we have is another apology, and a lot of humming and hawing over mandatory reporting.

Advertisement