Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I don't see why these types of debates should descend into slagging matches between both sides. I've given my opinion a few pages back but I wouldn't mock someone for thinking differently. We're all complex human beings with our own beliefs and while we might not understand where someone else is coming from, we shouldn't try and force our opinions on them or expect them to change to our way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

markodaly wrote: »
    So the state is not at all culpable for its history of outsourcing education and social provisions to the church. I don't think we had groups of priests and nuns roaming the country kidnapping would be vulnerable children in secret.

However, not surprised that I am being shooed away from that nasty inconvenient truth.

So if someone asks a charity to run something, it's grand for that charity to do a bit of raping?

The church was afforded far to much trust in the past. They told everyone how great and trustworthy they were and how they'd only do good by everyone. They were believed and they completely shat on that. But hey, that's not their fault. How were they not expected to touch a few kids here and there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosie2018

A three card trick you have clearly been conned with. :rolleyes:

Francis is a genuine, humble man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

ricero wrote: »
    The plane has landed. Now let the liberal and atheist tears flow.

It's not the liberals and athiests who'll be in tears. It's the faithful, devout Catholics who were utterly betrayed, let down and abused by the organisation over the decades and who have never been properly apologised to or in many cases even acknowledged who are most upset.

A little humanity and humility would go a long way from many of those who seem to want to just gloss over that grim aspect of church history.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Surprised RTE don't have some fashion experts on discussing the Popes clobber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Rosie2018 wrote:
    In your own mind your 'the good man'. You fill up fora with hate and bile. Your world view offers nothing.

Good man, not sure about that. But if not supporting child rapists makes me good ok so.
    Great Frank is here maybe he can start addressing the victim's of his organisation by opening the files of the Vatican to our authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

Welcome Pope Francis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A three card trick you have clearly been conned with. :rolleyes:

Nonsense if you knew anything about his life you would know he lived a very simple life in Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Please let us help you with this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Ah I get it.

We are allowed to criticise the church for their abuse of children, which is legitimate mind you.

Yet, we are not allowed to draw any parallels or correlation to similar happening today via state agencies?

Fallen at the first post.
    Right so.

My, point here is that we can have a grown-up conversation of the church and its history of abuse here in Ireland, and the whys and hows of this.

Or we can have the 2018 ladybird version, which as some posters state leaves no room for any analysis or reflection, just reactionary a ladybird/Disney version of history.

That is certainly how you're presenting your post, and perhaps you've even convinced yourself that this is your motive.

This thread is about the Pope, and by extension the church. It is about whether people will go see the Pope, and about the reasons some of them will not. Would you say that "the HSE did something bad too" is a legitimate reason to go see the Pope, or not to? Or is it instead a legitimate reason to be angry at the HSE, in a tangental discussion?

Why would the HSE or any other organisation be relevant to the discussion at hand?

It's clear that you either have a particular grievance with the HSE, which is probably misplaced in this thread, or you are annoyed about the criticism of the Pope, and of those who want to see the Pope, and you would like to reduce that criticism by normalising the Church's role in child abuse and coverup by comparing them to other organisations who have done similarly criminal acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They do lots of charity work? Great. Is poverty sorted so?

Is the church responsible now for all the worlds problems?

If they are charity and not a business, they've no need for anything beyond essentials, anything else can go towards helping the people they claim to care about.

The church is more than a charity, but I think you know that.
    Clearly you know nothing about how charities and these organisation work. Many catholic organisation are actually excatly like that by the way. The church is a large organisation with millions of people working for it in various ways.

But yes, you clearly want to have a grown-up debate on this. :D

• Advertisement

Rosie2018 wrote:
    Francis is a genuine, humble man.

He accused the victims of sexual abuse of being liars, dispite being in possession of proof of their claims. That's not humility that's arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, I keep expecting Kay Burley to pop up out of the woodwork any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The 1979 visit was the largest public gathering of people (75% of population) up to and still is since WW2

Source Sky News

How times change. A different Ireland today

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Good man, not sure about that. But if not supporting child rapists makes me good ok so.
    Great Frank is here maybe he can start addressing the victim's of his organisation by opening the files of the Vatican to our authorities.

By calling Pope Francis 'Frank' says it all about you. Does this manly act 'Hitman' (laughable moniker for a keyboard warrior) make you feel bigger?!

There is no such thing as a 'good' Catholic or priest if you support this current regime.

Is there something like a "Good Republican"? Slab 'IRA chief of staff' Murphy?
    Stop being a hypocrite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

He accused the victims of sexual abuse of being liars, dispite being in possession of proof of their claims. That's not humility that's arrogance.

No he didn't. Just your lies.

Is the church responsible now for all the worlds problems?

Nope. But they're putting themselves up there as saviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,974 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nonsense if you knew anything about his life you would know he lived a very simple life in Argentina

Look at the entourage around him, the Skoda is to buy you lot off and con you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I was worried he’d fall down those steps on the plane

• Advertisement

Rosie2018 wrote:
    By calling Pope Francis 'Frank' says it all about you. Does this manly act 'Hitman' (laughable moniker for a keyboard warrior) make you feel bigger?!

He is in office since 2013 he has done nothing to address the abuse preputrated by the organisation he leads. He has also called victims of abuse liars. I'm being polite calling him Frank. I can think of more appropriate names for him. Would you like to address my comments or is all you are capable is an ad hominem attack?

You cannot tarnish the whole church and its followers for the sins of some.

Crimes. Not sins, crimes. And the coverup of crimes which seems endemic. And the many blind eyes turned by those not formally part of the coverup. How many of these crimes were brought to light by the church themselves, first?
    Keep the fume down and let the catholics of this country who care enjoy the popes visit. You can fume all you want on Monday.

Weren't you the one gloating about liberal tears over a subject that has brought unimaginable grief to thousands? No, I think we'll fume as and when we please, and you can shed your own tears if that upsets you. They'll be of no consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,974 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is there something like a "Good Republican"? Slab 'IRA chief of staff' Murphy?
    Stop being a hypocrite.

Spot on with the comparison. You'll notice I have never used the word 'good' when referring to soldiers or politicians.

Calling ROman Catholics that support this regime 'good' is exactly the same as calling someone like Slab 'good'. You should stop doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Prob left that for TV3 !

I see popey was put in a hold pattern off wicklow as the tv crews weren't ready !!

The 1979 visit was the largest public gathering of people (75% of population) up to this so since WW2

Source Sky News

How times change. A different Ireland today

Just 750,000 now while Aethist Ireland have 1,000 attending their protest event. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Aethist Ireland, that will be some boring event with long faced haters.

Rosie2018 wrote:

He did. The victims were in Chile he was forced to retract his claims after widespread protest. I suggest you learn something of the people you blindly defend.

Rosie2018 wrote: »

Newstalk broadcast on air a couple of hours ago that he said what the victims were saying about the convicted priests was slanderous. So he was saying they were liars

You might want to give them a shout and tell them how they are wrong. Sure the Pope could Sue and get a few quid maybe

He did.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/19/pope-francis-victims-church-sexual-abuse-slander-chile

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Yes he fcuking did

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-latin-america-42745170

• Advertisement

Why would the HSE or any other organisation be relevant to the discussion at hand?

Because if there was a HSE in 1921, there would be no reason for the Church to provide education and social services to the people of Ireland for multiple decades.

Yes, blame the church for its abuse of power and its cover-up of said abuse but also recognise the fact that the state surrogated away the responsibility of education and social services of the day to anyone willing to step into the breach, which the church did, largely for free.

And its safe to say that if a 1921 HSE did exist, kids would still have suffered as they do today. We would just be pillaring a different set of people.

Advertisement