Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone Boycott of RTE Continuing Through Final

• 20-08-2018 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-refuse-to-participate-in-any-media-coverage-with-rt-for-allireland-final-clash-with-dublin-37232261.html

So, unsurprisingly, Mickey Harte and Tyrone have confirmed their boycotting of anything to do with RTE for the upcoming game.

I think that RTE should really have pulled out all of the stops to get this resolved. On the other hand perhaps they did and Mickey Harte is not the forgiving kind.

I think there are certainly two sides to this.

In my opinion Mickey was totally out of line in the first instance making comments to RTE regarding the use of Brian Certy, to even consider that you could influence the planning of an independent organisation is laughable.

And it must be said that the sketch on John Murray Show sounded like it it was in totally bad taste and RTE should have made the fullest of apologies and that might have prevented this from kicking off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I just listened to the sketch for the first time. Yeah, you could say its in bad taste. His daughter was murdered a year or so before it and as part of the sketch, they played that tune "pretty little girl from Omagh...". That was definitely sailing a bit too close to the wind.

All that said, it's crazy that its dragged out 7-8 years later and RTE should have done whatever it takes to resolve it long before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Will leave plenty of air time to fill on the Sunday Game if they win and they can’t do the usual thing in the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Hopefully all Tyrone folk will boycott 'Up for the Match' and that show is axed.

Its bad enough Dessie will be cheerleading on The Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I just listened to the sketch for the first time. Yeah, you could say its in bad taste. His daughter was murdered a year or so before it and as part of the sketch, they played that tune "pretty little girl from Omagh...". That was definitely sailing a bit too close to the wind.

All that said, it's crazy that its dragged out 7-8 years later and RTE should have done whatever it takes to resolve it long before now.

It was 5 months after the murder. A horrible act by RTE, and Mickey Harte is certainly right to boycott the station for good if he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Jesus ****....was this an oversight on someone's part? This seems incredible misguided and cruel. What am I missing here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

dixiefly wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-refuse-to-participate-in-any-media-coverage-with-rt-for-allireland-final-clash-with-dublin-37232261.html

So, unsurprisingly, Mickey Harte and Tyrone have confirmed their boycotting of anything to do with RTE for the upcoming game.

I think that RTE should really have pulled out all of the stops to get this resolved. On the other hand perhaps they did and Mickey Harte is not the forgiving kind.

I think there are certainly two sides to this.

In my opinion Mickey was totally out of line in the first instance making comments to RTE regarding the use of Brian Certy, to even consider that you could influence the planning of an independent organisation is laughable.

And it must be said that the sketch on John Murray Show sounded like it it was in totally bad taste and RTE should have made the fullest of apologies and that might have prevented this from kicking off.

The skit was completely out of order and Harte was right to be offended.

However, it is what, 7 years on now. Does he really need to hold a grudge for this long? The John Murray show has nothing to do with the hundreds of thousands of GAA fans who watch RTE sport.

It also seems that RTE apologised unreservedly directly to Harte too, despite him saying they didnt. Considering the lies Harte said about sky and their cameras this year alone, he isnt averse to a few lies himself.

http://www.the42.ie/rte-insist-mickey-harte-received-apology-from-john-murray-show-305541-Dec2011/
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/rte-apologise-to-harte-for-offence-163387.html

I'm not the biggest fan of Mickey Harte, but apology or not I wouldn't have any complaints with him holding a grudge for so long. How somebody could even think to broadcast that so close to the murder (not that there would ever be an appropriate time to broadcast it).

There are plenty of other places where the supporters can get their soundbites from the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

bruschi wrote: »
    The skit was completely out of order and Harte was right to be offended.

However, it is what, 7 years on now. Does he really need to hold a grudge for this long?

Well his daughter was murdered which is a dreadful thing to happen to any family. The fact that RTE did a skit shortly after that is unforgivable to be honest. They really should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

What was the skit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Not very Christian of him to hold a grudge for so long.

Perhaps someone should write a letter in support of RTÉ to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,303 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why can't Mickey hold the grudge and let Tyrone players and support enjoy their moment fully.

RTE made a mistake as TV and Radio will always do.

Making everybody pay for that is down to Harte.

Well his daughter was murdered which is a dreadful thing to happen to any family. The fact that RTE did a skit shortly after that is unforgivable to be honest. They really should have known better.

They should have known better, but the perception is that they mocked his daughter. That is wholly wrong, rightly or wrongly Harte 'took' offence when Murray played a song that is synonymous with Tyrone. He wasn't referencing Michaella Harte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I don't think it will affect the build up. There will be plenty of ex Tyrone players and pundits to talk to. And fans. There will be music montages. RTE loves them. And ten minute soliloquies by Joe Brolly (M Lyster: 'Jesus Joe I just asked you did you have any trouble getting in')

A Tyrone player can easily be given man of the match. No awkward presentation necessary.

The televised victory banquet is a bit of a cringe fest and should have been done away with years ago. The celebration should be private to the team and their families.

RTE owes M Harte an apology. But it shouldn't be done to get interviews but because it's the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Tyrone will do their talking on the football pitch.

By talking, I mean nasty sledging.
    By football pitch, I mean handpassing pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I think it's odd that retired players are more than happy to speak to and work for RTE. Same guys would not have done so while playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

It was extremely poor taste by RTE, although I don't think even RTE would do something as deliberate as that. Time for Mickey H to forgive and forget. This should be a time for celebration in Tyrone and their exposure should be maximised.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I don't think it will affect the build up. There will be plenty of ex Tyrone players and pundits to talk to. And fans. There will be music montages. RTE loves them. And ten minute soliloquies by Joe Brolly (M Lyster: 'Jesus Joe I just asked you did you have any trouble getting in')

A Tyrone player can easily be given man of the match. No awkward presentation necessary.

The televised victory banquet is a bit of a cringe fest and should have been done away with years ago. The celebration should be private to the team and their families.

RTE owes M Harte an apology. But it shouldn't be done to get interviews but because it's the right thing to do.

They already have apologised unequivocally and they did it immediately.

Initially Harte also objected to references to him attending a conference with the Dalai Lana but the affair is now all about his daughter.

Mickey doesn't like to be satirized like every other public figure it seems

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think it's odd that retired players are more than happy to speak to and work for RTE. Same guys would not have done so while playing.

Tells you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Redsoxfan wrote: »

money does do wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Tough one, this wasn't any death, it was highly violent and broadcasted all over the world with extensive coverage by RTE.

I wouldn't be comfortable saying he "should learn to forgive and get over it"... Could any of us honestly say we could "forgive" and support RTE given the blatant disrespect they showed?

• Advertisement

They should have known better, but the perception is that they mocked his daughter. That is wholly wrong, rightly or wrongly Harte 'took' offence when Murray played a song that is synonymous with Tyrone. He wasn't referencing Michaella Harte.

Of course they weren't directly referencing Michaela Harte, but I don't think that is the point. Openly mocking/trolling/satirizing a man who's daughter had been murdered just 5 months previously can never be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I find it funny they way people refer to RTE doing this insensitive skit, like the board of directors got together and planned it. John Murray did it, probably with approval from a couple of producers, it wasn't like everyone in RTE had a part in it, in any big organization you will have people who mess up, that doesn't mean you should boycott the whole organization when they have apologized.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I find it funny they way people refer to RTE doing this insensitive skit, like the board of directors got together and planned it. John Murray did it, probably with approval from a couple of producers, it wasn't like everyone in RTE had a part in it, in any big organization you will have people who mess up, that doesn't mean you should boycott the whole organization when they have apologized.

Was he suspended/disciplined over it I wonder ? Maybe they didn't treat it seriously from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

jon1981 wrote: »
    Tough one, this wasn't any death, it was highly violent and broadcasted all over the world with extensive coverage by RTE.

I wouldn't be comfortable saying he "should learn to forgive and get over it"... Could any of us honestly say we could "forgive" and support RTE given the blatant disrespect they showed?

I think that, no matter how much you dislike RTE, you'd surely have to admit they were hardly intentionally mocking a young woman who was brutally murdered on her honeymoon. There was quite clearly a very bad editing decision made, which they apologised for unreservedly, but it wasn't a slight made out of badness.

Mickey Harte has made far, far worse judgment calls himself when it comes to the sensitivities of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I wonder does Harte feel he should apologise for giving a character reference for a bloke who sexually assaulted a woman and dumped her on a country road half naked in the middle of the night

paul0103 wrote: »
    Of course they weren't directly referencing Michaela Harte, but I don't think that is the point. Openly mocking/trolling/satirizing a man who's daughter had been murdered just 5 months previously can never be acceptable.

The very public manager of a football team is immune from being satirised?

There is nothing in the skit that shows he was being 'trolled/mocked/satirised' because he had lost a daughter.

Both you and I suggest, those in Tyrone who believe that that was the intention need to get over themselves on that one.

Harte 'took' offence (as anyone is entitled to) that does not mean that offence was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Won't make a blind bit of difference to me.
    Will anyone miss those ridiculous interviews with lads basically saying nothing interesting?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

of course, but he is holding a grudge with an entire national TV station, and more so specifically the GAA sports section of which had no involvement whatsoever in a radio station skit done by a host an a producer.

If the sketch was done by the Sunday game crew on their broadcast it would be an entirely different matter, but 7 years on, he is holding the whole organisation to blame for something done by a couple of people who have no involvement whatsoever with who is is boycotting.

If Harte never wants to speak with John Murray again or never be on his show, then I would wholeheartedly agree with that, but he is boycotting the Sunday Game specifically when they are not the ones to blame here nor gave him any hassle.

RTE as an organisation apologised, as did the host and the program producers. What more does he want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Was the RTE ban in place before the offensive sketch due to Harte being pissed off that Brian Carthy was not getting enough gigs from RTE?, the sketch merely gave him additional ammunition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, if I recall correctly it all started with the Brian Carthy dispute.

Advertisement