Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone Boycott of RTE Continuing Through Final

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I wonder does Harte feel he should apologise for giving a character reference for a bloke who sexually assaulted a woman and dumped her on a country road half naked in the middle of the night

I was reading about that, the media kept saying he lived in County Tyrone but he lived in Co. Derry 10 minutes from me, I wonder how Harte knew him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Anything to get at Tyrone. Everyone supports him in this decision in Tyrone. Truly and utterly pathetic taste.

Also an atrocious tv station.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think its telling that his former star player and captain, recently retired, now regularly appears on the Sunday Game.

Seems like its Mickey's way or no way, so long as you're answerable to him.

Money talks
    In yesterday’s Irish News, Gavin ‘Horse’ Devlin didn’t miss his former team-mate to hit the wall.

Clearly vexed by Cavanagh’s damning assessment of what’s wrong in Tyrone, Devlin revealed that Cavanagh had ample opportunities to voice his concerns.

“If I had been captain, I have no doubt that I could have met Mickey and said: ‘Mickey, I think this is what we should do,’ or ‘What about trying this?’” Devlin said.

“I wouldn’t sit and keep my mouth shut. I’ve had a number of conversations with Sean and he never mentioned anything about styles of play or what we should and shouldn’t do. If he thought something wasn’t right, as captain, why didn’t he come and have a conversation with us rather than saying it in an RTE studio?

“That’s my opinion on it… The captains we’ve had in the past, I’ve no doubt would have come to Mickey and had their say.”

Look at what other player's from that time have been saying about Cavanagh too.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    When Micheal O'Muircheartaigh retired, RTE chose not to give his job (No 1 choice for radio commentator) to just one person, who was guaranteed to get all the big games. Instead, they rotated the role amongst a few commentators - Daragh Moloney, Ger Canning, Marty Morrissey etc. Brian Carty still did games, but not the big ones, like finals. BC was a close, personal friend of the Hartes & MH lobbied RTE to give him the job of Senior match day commentator, or whatever MO'M's old job title was.

The letter he wrote to RTE was made public. RTE's response was that firstly, MO'M's old job didn't exist anymore, so they couldn't give BC a position that had been abolished. Secondly, they made their own programming choices thank you very much and didn't take too kindly to GAA managers trying to tell them what to do. Cue all this bad feeling kicking off & some genius in the RTE "comedy" department coming up with the idea for the skit.

Whatever about the Mickey Harte aspect here, I always thought Brian Carthy was shabbily treated by RTE over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Anything to get at Tyrone. Everyone supports him in this decision in Tyrone. Truly and utterly pathetic taste.

Everyone? Plenty ex Tyrone players talk to rte. this is also a Tyrone squad who say a decade of the rosary before every match. They might need 10 full ones before the Dublin match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dk1982

and that's why neutrals like me who would normally shout for anyone but Dublin, wouldnt actually mind seeing them win Sunday. Serious chips on shoulders up in Tyrone with Harte the ring leader. A seriously unlikable man.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In fairness that is nonsense. Far from 'everyone' in Tyrone supports this. I am in Tyrone quite a bit and know a good few from it and they certainly don't.

There will be no tears in certain quarters when Mickey departs.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

dk1982 wrote: »
    and that's why neutrals like me who would normally shout for anyone but Dublin, wouldnt actually mind seeing them win Sunday. Serious chips on shoulders up in Tyrone with Harte the ring leader. A seriously unlikable man.

This would mean you’re not neutral though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Everyone? Plenty ex Tyrone players talk to rte. this is also a Tyrone squad who say a decade of the rosary before every match. They might need 10 full ones before the Dublin match.

Is this actually true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is this actually true?

Re the rosary? Yes it is. Widely reported (quoting players) last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gavin should try that too. He'd get some quare looks.
    I'd say 31 counties supporting the Dubs, this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Whatever about the Mickey Harte aspect here, I always thought Brian Carthy was shabbily treated by RTE over this.

I don't. He is the worst of all the GAA commentators imo. Sounds like a Civics teacher from 1954. Mind you, Ger Canning and Marty Morrissey aren't much better, so he maybe he is entitled to feel aggrieved, but in terms of commentator quality, BC just sounds very dated and old fashioned imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Call me Al wrote: »
    Re the rosary? Yes it is. Widely reported (quoting players) last year.

I have it on good authority that Dublin have an entire backroom staff JUST to say the rosary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

A lot of neutrals will be hoping Dublin give Tyrone a serious trimming over this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

When Micheal O'Muircheartaigh retired, RTE chose not to give his job (No 1 choice for radio commentator) to just one person, who was guaranteed to get all the big games. Instead, they rotated the role amongst a few commentators - Daragh Moloney, Ger Canning, Marty Morrissey etc. Brian Carty still did games, but not the big ones, like finals. BC was a close, personal friend of the Hartes & MH lobbied RTE to give him the job of Senior match day commentator, or whatever MO'M's old job title was.

The letter he wrote to RTE was made public. RTE's response was that firstly, MO'M's old job didn't exist anymore, so they couldn't give BC a position that had been abolished. Secondly, they made their own programming choices thank you very much and didn't take too kindly to GAA managers trying to tell them what to do. Cue all this bad feeling kicking off & some genius in the RTE "comedy" department coming up with the idea for the skit.

Normally I would be for the fellow Westerner, but I seriously hate the sound of Carty's whiney voice.
    Now as others have said RTE commentators are much of a much.
    Canning is terrible and Tangoed boy from Clare/New York is a fecking caricature of God knows what.

It was none of Harte's business who got the job.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Maybe the same reason he thought he had a say at the rally for Sean Quinn - up on the back of the trailer with Colm O'Rourke.

You can tell a lot by someone's friends.

Harte's comments about the quinn's were :

"You know decent people when you meet them. The Quinns are decent people"

Yep that was easy for him to say, it wasn't his taxes or insurance policies that were going to pay for the gambling and greed of the Quinns.

The more I come across Harte's utterances on topics outside of sport the more I detest the man.

Fair enough if he doesn't want to speak to RTE, but he shouldn't dictate what an entire panel or county does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I didn't realise that song was written about Mickey Hartes daughter. Let's be realistic here. Anybody who genuinely believes that RTÉ included that song as a dig towards his daughter is deluded. Mickey Harte is a hypocrite if he calls himself a christian and I hope Dublin wipe the floor with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

jaysus all the tyrone hate. I hope they win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I hope they win just for the devilment of seeing "live from the winners hotel" with Alan hughes .

Nobody is expressing hatred of Tyrone, its people or its players. Far from it.

However, their manager has taken some very public and controversial stances on a wide variety of things unrelated to the sports team he manages. Be it his meddling in the abortion referendum and RTE's personnel decisions, supporting dodgy businessmen, or giving character references to violent offenders, he puts himself in a position to be criticized. If people do that, they are not hating on Tyrone. They are just expressing an opinion on Mickey Harte's off the pitch activities. Let's not indulge in hyperbole here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus that skit was a pile of ****e. Dreadful. Not offensive, but shıte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

However, their manager has taken some very public and controversial stances on a wide variety of things unrelated to the sports team he manages. Be it his meddling in the abortion referendum and RTE's personnel decisions, supporting dodgy businessmen, or giving character references to violent offenders, he puts himself in a position to be criticized. If people do that, they are not hating on Tyrone. They are just expressing an opinion on Mickey Harte's off the pitch activities. Let's not indulge in hyperbole here.

Why shouldn't he give his opinion on abortion? Would you be just as offended if a manager declared himself pro choice? I doubt it.

Fair play Mickey. Stick it to those **** in RTE.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Why shouldn't he give his opinion on abortion? Would you be just as offended if a manager declared himself pro choice? I doubt it.

he had no vote in the abortion referendum, so why he was sticking his oar in campaigning whichever way he was voting was unnecessary.

bruschi wrote: »
    he had no vote in the abortion referendum, so why he was sticking his oar in campaigning whichever way he was voting was unnecessary.

He's an Irishman so clearly he has an interest in what happens in the Republic.

As a private citizen, he entitled to give his opinion on whatever he wants. And I am entitled to disagree or agree with him on that opinion. If I disagree, it does not mean that I hate Tyrone, or him, or his team.

As to the Repeal referendum, he was the figurehead of an organisation that tried to associate itself with the GAA as an organisation, by virtue of its name and having a meeting on a GAA pitch at a GAA club. The GAA was put in the position of having to come out and make a statement disassociating itself with the group and all such groups. If that is not meddling to an extreme degree, I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Classic Church worshipper who ironically cannot find the will to show forgiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That is akin to the fantasy that the whole country bar Tyrone will be shouting for Dublin.

There is quite a bit of generalising about Tyrone team and Tyrone supporters on here.
    To 'not want them to win' as a neutral is to generalise about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

No-one in Dublin could care less who neutrals will be supporting.

Which is not to deny the vicarious pleasure of supporters from most counties who will probably never be in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

The sooner Mickey Harte retires the better. Spends his life voicing his opinions on things that he shouldn’t be getting involved in and drawing the GAA into it. The way he tried to gather GAA players together for a NO against repeal vote and tried to put it as the GAA were against repeal was diabolical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He is as much entitled to his opinions as others within the GAA who are not shy about giving their views on all sorts of matters. The fact that you may not agree with him is neither here nor there,

Advertisement