Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2018 Rugby Championship

• 13-08-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭

aka. The Premier, Annual, International Rugby Competition.

The tournament starts this weekend. Wallabies vs ABs in Sydney @ 11am and Boks vs Pumas in Durban @ 4pm. Who else is excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    aka. The Premier, Annual, International Rugby Competition.

The tournament starts this weekend. Wallabies vs ABs in Sydney @ 11am and Boks vs Pumas in Durban @ 4pm. Who else is excited?

AKA the All Blacks and friends.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    AKA the All Blacks and friends.

AKA the race for second place.

the only intrigue in this years competition is whether aussie or boks come second.

the bookies have the aussies slight favourite at evens and SA at 11/10... it might come down to who picks up the most bonus point against the argies... so i think australia might just have the edge here. I expect home advantage to be telling in both games between the two.

New Zealand got the perfect 30 points in 2016, dropped two to 28 last year.

will they reach 28 again this year.... i think they might just struggle... so i foresee them finishing on 27

argentina to have 0 wins is 7/4 and probably the best value bet of the comp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

NZ and OZ at home for 3 out of the first 4 games.

I dunno why they never change the fixtures for this, NZ should have it wrapped up by week 4, maybe even earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

CatFromHue wrote: »
    NZ and OZ at home for 3 out of the first 4 games.

I dunno why they never change the fixtures for this, NZ should have it wrapped up by week 4, maybe even earlier.

Yeah I agree. I'd like for NZ to start with games away to SA and Argentina and then away to Australia for their 4th match. It would put them under a bit of pressure but most importantly, the matches would be on in the afternoon and evening over here in late August/early September which is much better for BBQs and drinking than late September/ October.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Odds on Mo'unga getting a start against Aus or the Boks?

Would love to see it.

• Advertisement

Any decent SH podcasts?

Any decent SH podcasts?

Im a regular listener of green and gold rugby

Odds on Mo'unga getting a start against Aus or the Boks?

Would love to see it.

Yeah I expect him to start at least once against one of those teams. They did it with Sopoaga. He made his starting debut in SA. Might have been his test debut as well. And he had a good game. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen with Mo'unga.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Im a regular listener of green and gold rugby

They're decent alright, not just for SH stuff either.

There's a lot of talk of this being the year Australia takes back the Bledisloe Cup (a bit, but not quite as bad, like Liverpool talk of 'this year'). Can't see it myself. Australia were lucky enough to not be whitewashed by us (albeit by short margins each game, but all the same) and we wouldn't stick it to NZ across a series, much as I'd like it. Can't see them doing it. Another NZ title, which sucks balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I might have missed it but how is Toomua able to play for Oz? He definitely hasn't reached the 60 caps needed for an overseas player and I'm sure he's not coming back to SR anytime soon.

• Advertisement

I might have missed it but how is Toomua able to play for Oz? He definitely hasn't reached the 60 caps needed for an overseas player and I'm sure he's not coming back to SR anytime soon.

he is actually, hes left Leicester to go to the rebels

edit: sorry, hes leaving at the end of the season, where he'll be available to play in the RWC

The matchday 23 is as follows (with Test caps in brackets):

1. Joe Moody (34)
    2. Codie Taylor (32)
    3. Owen Franks (98)
    4. Brodie Retallick (68)
    5. Samuel Whitelock (99)
    6. Liam Squire (17)
    7. Sam Cane (55)
    8. Kieran Read – captain (109)
    9. Aaron Smith (74)
    10. Beauden Barrett (64)
    11. Rieko Ioane (16)
    12. Ryan Crotty (37)
    13. Jack Goodhue (1)
    14. Waisake Naholo (19)
    15. Ben Smith (67)

16. Nathan Harris (13)
    17. Karl Tu’inukuafe (3)
    18. Ofa Tuungafasi (17)
    19. Scott Barrett (19)
    20. Ardie Savea (25)
    21. TJ Perenara (45)
    22. Damian McKenzie (15)
    23. Anton Lienert-Brown (24)

No Richie :)
    Delighted to see Goodhue get rewarded for an excellent season.
    I think thats NZs strongest possible available 23

I've stolen an hour on Saturday morning to watch this, very much looking forward to the contest. If Aus don't let in any stupid scores and try and dominate the opening half they could make it a somewhat tense affair.

Kiwis by 13 i think

a clear dry night in sydney and a fresh NZ team will have too much for this limited aussie team.

AUSTRALIA

Starting XV:

1. Tom Robertson (21 Tests)
    2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (82 Tests)
    3. Sekope Kepu (94 Tests)
    4. Izack Rodda (7 Tests)
    5. Adam Coleman (23 Tests)
    6. Lukhan Tui (7 Tests)
    7. Michael Hooper (c) (82 Tests)
    8. David Pocock (69 Tests)
    9. Will Genia (90 Tests)
    10. Bernard Foley (58 Tests)
    11. Marika Koroibete (11 Tests)
    12. Kurtley Beale (74 Tests)
    13. Reece Hodge (27 Tests)
    14. Dane Haylett-Petty (21 Tests)
    15. Israel Folau (65 Tests)

Bench

16. Tolu Latu (7 Tests)
    17. Allan Alaalatoa (23 Tests)
    18. Taniela Tupou (4 Tests)
    19. Rob Simmons (85 Tests)
    20. Pete Samu (3 Tests)
    21. Nick Phipps (64 Tests)
    22. Matt Toomua (33 Tests)
    23. Jack Maddocks*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Kiwis by 13 i think

Kiwis by 31 more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Venjur wrote: »
    I've stolen an hour on Saturday morning to watch this, very much looking forward to the contest. If Aus don't let in any stupid scores and try and dominate the opening half they could make it a somewhat tense affair.

The tea leaves tell me you will miss the final 20 minutes of the match.

And that Father Time has charged you with grand larceny.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The tea leaves tell me you will miss the final 20 minutes of the match.

And that Father Time has charged you with grand larceny.

I'll be doing well to see any of the second half but I can record it for later.

I think Ireland having won a tour to a Southern Hemisphere power has dramatically heightened my interest this year.

I gotta be honest though swiwi, I'm going to be cheering for the under dog...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

AUSTRALIA

Starting XV:

4. Izack Rodda (7 Tests)
    6. Lukhan Tui (7 Tests)
    9. Will Genia (90 Tests)

Bench

16. Tolu Latu (7 Tests)
    20. Pete Samu (3 Tests)
    23. Jack Maddocks*
    Kerevi and Kuridrani injured?

Kerevi and Kuridrani injured?

Yes both.

• Advertisement

AUSTRALIA

Starting XV:

4. Izack Rodda (7 Tests)
    6. Lukhan Tui (7 Tests)
    9. Will Genia (90 Tests)

Bench

16. Tolu Latu (7 Tests)
    20. Pete Samu (3 Tests)
    23. Jack Maddocks*
    That front five is going to get murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Excited to see Goodhue in. I think we'll see the start of a big test career this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

argentina to have 0 wins is 7/4 and probably the best value bet of the comp

Presumably the excellent Sanchez won't be available, or is he staying with the Pumas until the end of the Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Poor front 6 for the Wallabies. Sio is out injured and he has been a big part of their solid scrum of late. I don't think the hooker is a great thrower either. Kuridrani is a big loss at 13.

Surprised that McKenzie is the back up 10. He is fine with space in front of him but has too many mistakes in him. Mo'ounga was deserving of a place.

Poor front 6 for the Wallabies. Sio is out injured and he has been a big part of their solid scrum of late. I don't think the hooker is a great thrower either. Kuridrani is a big loss at 13.

Surprised that McKenzie is the back up 10. He is fine with space in front of him but has too many mistakes in him. Mo'ounga was deserving of a place.

I think it's the right call. All Blacks pack should be well on top, I don't think they'll be reliant on their halves for territory and control so better to have another lethal finisher to come on when your original lethal finisher goes off. Can come on at 15 also if they are struggling against Folau.

No Richie :)
    Delighted to see Goodhue get rewarded for an excellent season.
    I think thats NZs strongest possible available 23

Richie retired. Keep with the programme dude :p

Only points of debate were outside centre and whether Jordie or Waisake started.

Main injuries: last years props Hames & Laulala. Dane Coles. SBW.

I’d be hopeful we’d have a chance against Ireland in autumn but could be a bridge too far.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Richie retired. Keep with the programme dude :p

Only points of debate were outside centre and whether Jordie or Waisake started.

Main injuries: last years props Hames & Laulala. Dane Coles. SBW.

I’d be hopeful we’d have a chance against Ireland in autumn but could be a bridge too far.

Ireland are more vulnerable to injury than the All Blacks. If either Sexton or Murray are unavailable then our chances drop considerably.

If we have a relatively first choice team and one of VDF, Leavy or SOB are available at 7 then I'd be expecting a tight game.

If we don't have parity at the breakdown we lose the game, our defence is awesome but if we don't slow down All Black ball they'll enjoy more territory than they'll need to build scores.

Would you say it's the most anticipated fixture of the November series or is England still viewed as the main event from a kiwi perspective?

Would you say it's the most anticipated fixture of the November series or is England still viewed as the main event from a kiwi perspective?

Amazing how quickly things change. 6 months ago that England NZ game was viewed as basically a mini World Cup final. The winner would be the undisputed best in the world and would have one hand on the Webb Ellis.

I think England is still considered the big one. We hate England, we hate losing to England, we love embarrassing England and the rivalry/niggle has been around for a long time.

We like Ireland, we don't really have any experience of losing to Ireland (the one time it happened, they seemed nice), there's no history of animosity, no bitterness. Beating Ireland is like beating your 10 year old nephew in a game of 1v1 rugby in the backyard.

Of course that could all change if you guys win a few more against us. Then we'll start hating you.

• Advertisement

Ireland are more vulnerable to injury than the All Blacks. If either Sexton or Murray are unavailable then our chances drop considerably.

If we have a relatively first choice team and one of VDF, Leavy or SOB are available at 7 then I'd be expecting a tight game.

If we don't have parity at the breakdown we lose the game, our defence is awesome but if we don't slow down All Black ball they'll enjoy more territory than they'll need to build scores.

From a pure rugby perspective Ireland is the main challenge.

But generally most kiwis would rather have their nuts squashed than lose to England.

Advertisement