Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Overcast and humid in waterford with those bast*rd bitey flies about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

pauldry wrote: »
    Just behind you with 25mm in Sligo

We will easily get 100mm this month

and there will still be a hosepipe ban/conserve water notice in effect ...

actualkly have to admit to have the central heating rads on for a short while today because it got a wee bet chilly inside the house ... but then I went outside and even though it has been raining most of the day I came in saying that it was actually warmer outside than it was inside the house even though it been around 16c most of the day - strange that

I notice a couple of weeks back when we had the heatwave and getting around 30-32c here that when it finished and took a dive to 18-20c it felt bloody chilly. a big shock to the system - personally I would have preferred the temperatutes to gradually decrease rather than a big drop like it did like that . of course any time before the heatwave 20c would have been absolutely glorious but I suppse because got used to a few sweltering 30c days then 20c felt pretty cold then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Just checked met.ie for yesterdays weather data. It says markree castle only got 2.8mm. It must have made 10 times that amount here in south sligo. That cant be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

mg1982 wrote: »
    Just checked met.ie for yesterdays weather data. It says markree castle only got 2.8mm. It must have made 10 times that amount here in south sligo. That cant be right.

That was Tuesday, Wednesday's rainfall totals will appear later in the morning.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That was Tuesday, Wednesday's rainfall totals will appear later in the morning.

But it says weather data for Aug 1 above it. Maybe it will be updated in the morning as you said.

But it says weather data for Aug 1 above it. Maybe it will be updated in the morning as you said.

That happens every time on the new site. You should also notice it says: "Data produced at: 01-Aug-2018 09:10:01"

You'll find the 2.8mm at Markree Castle on 31 July in its daily data as well: https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That happens every time on the new site. You should also notice it says: "Data produced at: 01-Aug-2018 09:10:01"

You'll find the 2.8mm at Markree Castle on 31 July in its daily data as well: https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

Aw i see was thinking it sounded way off. Be interesting to see the rainfall totals for these parts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

WOW!! Just listening to breakfast on 2fm and he warned Ireland will get dangerously hot this weekend as the Spanish furnace takes over Ireland!!

What a joke no wonder Met get so much stick

Aw i see was thinking it sounded way off. Be interesting to see the rainfall totals for these parts.

Markree recorded 22.9mm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mrsnrub2.0

The humidity feels high in Dublin today

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

..... and 6mm in my backyard, it will be interesting to see the official totals from D.A.,Casement and the PP.

2.2mm for Casement yesterday and 3.2mm for Phoenix Park.

Just 1.0mm here in Dublin 16 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Already a better day than the whole of yesterday in Wexford,blue skies appearing and currently 18c. In fairness,the temperature hovered around 17c all night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Based on latest forecasts it seems fairly safe to assume that no part of Ireland will see temperatures at or anywhere near 30c again this summer. And even if September was to be a mainly settled warm month, temperatures would be highly unlikely to reach 30c. So it looks as though the 1887 high temp. record will remain intact for at least another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dull
    Drizzly
    Have not seen the sun since Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

DOCARCH wrote: »
    2.2mm for Casement yesterday and 3.2mm for Phoenix Park.

Just 1.0mm here in Dublin 16 yesterday.
    ...... and 6mm at D.A. - the nearest station to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Summer's back in Dublin 16. 25.0c now (with a SW breeze over the mountains and good sunshine).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy and humid in cork city. Not great.

• Advertisement

Another reason that could be to blame for the pattern change at the end of July and now August is the negative amplitude of the Arctic Oscillation. During much of this Summer and including May, the AO has been positive meaning there has been low pressure over the pole through the season but now that it's negative, it's a sign that there lies northern blocking somewhere around the Arctic Circle.

The GFS ensembles generally go towards neutral AO in about a week's time. Quite a split though, again only proving the uncertainty.

8c1biJJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

WOW!! Just listening to breakfast on 2fm and he warned Ireland will get dangerously hot this weekend as the Spanish furnace takes over Ireland!!

What a joke no wonder Met get so much stick

I heard it as well. They were going off the papers about the Spanish Plume not Met Eireann.

Met Éireann are only saying 22c.

I wanted to text in but couldn't find a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Sticky, humid and wet in Castlebar, 18.8C and 95% humidity mixed with a persistent drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Raining
    Humid
    Horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The current humid low heavy cloud weather is typical of our summers and is probably here to stay.
    When is the last decent August we have got, like clear blue skies for at least 2 weeks.
    I think going on the records August is one of our wetter months.

The faster this month is over, the better. August is my least favourite month of the year usually for numerous reasons. So many headaches from trying to find its likely scenarios, the models have no clue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The current humid low heavy cloud weather is typical of our summers and is probably here to stay.
    When is the last decent August we have got, like clear blue skies for at least 2 weeks.
    I think going on the records August is one of our wetter months.

I think August 1995 but am open to correction on that.

Great summers day here in south Dublin/Dublin 16. 25.3c atm.

Edit: 26.4c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep normal service resuming any day....

• Advertisement

27.0c now in Dublin 16....was not expecting that!

Advertisement