Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

Failing to stop should be good enough to do jail but that looked deliberate regardless of age. No way was there a gap for even a Gillette close pass there.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

£20 Seems like a sick joke.

Speaking of jokes, this is getting reported as an "and finally" joke on BBC news. Driver sitting on a bucket with a vice grips for a steering wheel, among plenty of other offences.

I'm imagining how dangerous this is, and it's just a joke to BBC :(

GIr3mhO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Martin567 wrote: »
    According to the initial post, the car was turning left. If it had been turning right, the driver would certainly have been wrong.

The initial poster would need to clarify but it certainly doesn't automatically follow that the car had passed the bike seconds before turning left. As I read it, the cyclist should give way to a car turning left in front of him (again assuming that car hadn't just overtaken him and cut straight across him).

The car was turning into the left and have travelled about 250 meters from another shop and was travelling slow and had not over taken the bike rider who was coming along behind and should have seen the left indicator on by the driver of the car who was in turning mode when the bike struck on the foot path in the middle of a straight in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

site_owner wrote: »

Should be put in the mental for a few years, what a psychopath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Driver was 81, he won't be passing the extended re-test. Personally think anyone over the age of 70 shouldn't be driving anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

RasTa wrote: »
    Driver was 81, he won't be passing the extended re-test. Personally think anyone over the age of 70 shouldn't be driving anyway
    Don't think there is any evidence to show that people over 70 are any worse than, say, people under 25. But your proposal would be a great way to increase isolation and loneliness, if that's your objective?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Everyone should be subject to a periodic retest. Every 5 years or so imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

rushfan wrote: »
    Slightly off topic I know but while in the back of a minibus travelling southbound on the M50 earlier after Junction 5, we spotted a halfwit on a bike in the hard shoulder. He did have his hivis on though.

Have never seen a cyclist on the m50 before. The gob****e must have had a death wish, it's scary enough driving it sometimes never mind being on it on a bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ewc78 wrote: »
    Have never seen a cyclist on the m50 before. The gob****e must have had a death wish, it's scary enough driving it sometimes never mind being on it on a bike.

I see a guy with one of those modified BSOs with a petrol engine on the M11 / M50 near Bray. Lifted by the Gardai buy he had a different one a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

ewc78 wrote:

First for me too, as everyone knows it's so busy you literally can't take your eyes off the road. I wasn't driving yesterday incidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

you know, I saw something similar today on the stretch from portmarnock to baldoyle. A "silvertop" overtook 2 cyclists when there was no room. I was coming against her in the car an had to swerve (almost) into the ditch to avoid her.
    Fuppin clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't think there is any evidence to show that people over 70 are any worse than, say, people under 25. But your proposal would be a great way to increase isolation and loneliness, if that's your objective?

Ah yeah, 70 year old's have the same sight, awareness etc as someone under 25.

Mandatory retest in effect once someone turns 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, there is.

age-vs-braking-reaction-time-stopping-a-car-n.jpg

Separate study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586814/

The degree varies from study to study but a 24yo (about the fastest) is very significantly faster at reacting than a 75yo. Add that to GPs being soft on OAPs with recertification and you've doddery aul fellas driving the wrong way down the M50.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The aul fella had loads of time to see the cyclists and react!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    Yes, there is.

there's a genuine debate to be had about this, but a graph showing difference of 0.09s in reaction time (i'm guessing this is what the graph above is measuring, whoever designed the graph forgot that specifying the units is kinda important) is not going to convince many. at 60km/h, that's a difference of 1.4m. all other things being equal, yes it's obviously worse (though certainly not alarmingly so), but all other things are not equal when you're comparing a 20 year old to a 70 year old.

but i wholeheartedly endorse the idea of a mandatory retest; whether it's every 10 years or 15 years, but reasonably periodic.

RasTa wrote: »
    Ah yeah, 70 year old's have the same sight, awareness etc as someone under 25.

Mandatory retest in effect once someone turns 70.

Doesn't matter how good your eyesight is when your eyes are stuck on Snapchat, not on the road. Are over 70s disproportionally represented in road death stats?

ED E wrote: »
    Yes, there is.

Separate study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2586814/

The degree varies from study to study but a 24yo (about the fastest) is very significantly faster at reacting than a 75yo. Add that to GPs being soft on OAPs with recertification and you've doddery aul fellas driving the wrong way down the M50.

If that graph is the result of tests on 11 people, it's not exactly conclusive. Regardless they are only a small part of the overall picture. The benefit of shorter braking distance goes out the window if you're frequently speeding.

I share your concern about GP signoffs btw. I'd prefer to see frequent retesting of all ages, say every 3 or 5 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also GP sign offs should be done in an independent test centre. Some GPs will wave some people through. I know my eyetest consisted if my GP asking was there anything wrong with my eyesight. I said no. Paper stamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Problem is the HSE couldn't cope with any extra work like that. The Brits have a system where road policing units can send an advisory note to the DVLA that they think somebody is struggling and they're then reviewed. AFAIK theres no equivalent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I’d agree with routine retesting but I would add in a mandatory driving lesson and eye test to an overall programme designed to maintain driver competence at an acceptable level. I did the advanced test a few years back and had to take a few lessons. They were a great tune up. After almost forty years of driving, I had acquired a few bad habits and wasn’t fully aware of certain laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Had an unusual near miss myself by 3 scrotes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

jon1981 wrote: »
    Had an unusual near miss myself by 3 scrotes...

Fixed your embed. That's farcical from the scrotes

cython wrote: »
    Fixed your embed.

Thanks i always mess that up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Navan this morning circa 10am. Worst punishment pass I’ve experienced to date. Some w@nker in a 03-d 3 series bmw. Residential area - approach to the town - 50kph zone but I guess he passed me within 3 or 4 inches at 70 - 80 kph plus. No other cars on a wide road.

Hope he managed to put his feet up having his cup of tea and reflect with some satisfaction how he sorted out 2 cyclists minding their own business, presumably on his road.

The thought that stuck with me was that my wife asked me to “cycle safely” as I left the house at 8.15 am this morning. I was wearing a day glow organge rain cape, see sense set on max.....yeah “cycling Safely” but some other fool thought he’d put my life needlessly at risk for no reason what so ever.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Navan this morning circa 10am. Worst punishment pass I’ve experienced to date. Some w@nker in a 03-d 3 series bmw. Residential area - approach to the town - 50kph zone but I guess he passed me within 3 or 4 inches at 70 - 80 kph plus. No other cars on a wide road.

Hope he managed to put his feet up having his cup of tea and reflect with some satisfaction how he sorted out 2 cyclists minding their own business, presumably on his road.

The thought that stuck with me was that my wife asked me to “cycle safely” as I left the house at 8.15 am this morning. I was wearing a day glow organge rain cape, see sense set on max.....yeah “cycling Safely” but some other fool thought he’d put my life needlessly at risk for no reason what so ever.

Seriously, invest in a cam. I have one for this reason. Easier to report the c**t.

How dare you be on the road, that'll teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

jon1981 wrote: »
    Seriously, invest in a cam. I have one for this reason. Easier to report the c**t.

How dare you be on the road, that'll teach you.

Actually have a cam. I need an adaoptor for my new bike - it’s an aero seat post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2 overtakes approaching blind bends today. I stuck my hand out to try and stop one as I know we a car was coming. Still went for it.

Both gave me space, but I don't want to have to ring someone to say there's been a serious car accident.

I was only on a short jaunt to my parents and first time on a bike week and a bit. Had nothing but good experiences with the nice weather lately, but the rain seemed to make everyone impatient this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Actually have a cam. I need an adaoptor for my new bike - it’s an aero seat post.

Fly 6 come with aero seat post adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got up close and personal with a private coach making a left turn yesterday.

I was travelling southbound on the cycle track on Nicolas Street/Patrick Street (Dublin 8). The coach passed me on the right and, when I was about half way alongside it, the driver began turning left onto the laneway beside the cathedral. I slapped the side of the coach but he didn't react and continued the turn. I managed to move forward a bit more and had to make the turn with him to avoid being taken down.

Tourists on the coach seemed to have alerted the driver at this stage as he stopped suddenly. I was a bit verbally aggressive with him due to adrenaline which I regretted a few seconds after. He offered no apology but just said he had his indicator on.

Not a pleasant experience.

(Thanks to the female druggie who witnessed it and asked me if I was ok. She also gave the driver a bollocking! :))

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    Fly 6 come with aero seat post adaptor.

I have one, though not happy with the video quality, the latest model though is HD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement