Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Townton wrote: »
    He has also cut a massive amount of regulation, which from a business perspective particularly small and medium has been far more effective and helpful then the tax reforms/cuts. Both together are really adding to the economy dispite what some said prior to their implementation. Was in the US couple of months ago and a number of small and medium business owners (most of restaurant owners) have said they have never seen it so busy. Food for thought but on the ground thinks certainly seem to be working. Which will be very hard for the Dems to counter unless there is some sort of slow down. As Bill Maher said he is hoping for a recession because without one the Dems could unfortunately be in trouble. But plenty of time to go yet!

Which regulations has he cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Which regulations has he cut?

For someone who is posting in this thread everyday surely you would know that he has cut regulations, however the impact of such a 'cut' is immaterial on the economy and this has been proven by Bloomberg and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,559 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There is a fascinating tale being told now on the Marian Finucane show of how a Canadian millionaire [of Russian extraction] is funding the Trump Tower in Toronto. It seems he owned, or had interests in a metal plant in the Ukraine, which was sold on via Russia. The funds raised in the sale were dispersed through a Russian Bank before some ending up with the Canadian millionaire. It seems that there are questions as to whether the Trumps ended up with some of the funds. It's a complicated story with mention of Putin being chairman of a Russian bank thrown into the mix and I couldn't possibly explain it here as I'm listening to it while typing - I don't do shorthand. It might be worthwhile getting the RTE link whereby one can open the MF show podcast and listen to the story in detail. Most people know how to google for RTE's podcasts so I'll leave that to the interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

VonZan wrote: »
    For someone who is posting in this thread everyday surely you would know that he has cut regulations, however the impact of such a 'cut' is immaterial on the economy and this has been proven by Bloomberg and others.

I don't post every day. Anyway, I'm interested to hear further from any poster who claims that the regulations Trump has cut are beneficial. My starting point is for them to let me know which regulations he has cut. This lets me know whether or not there is any point in further discussion. If they tell me, I would like them to then tell me why they are beneficial. Overall, IMO, he has simply taken a dump on workers' rights, H&S and the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Christy42 wrote: »
    Like sanctuary cities (which Trump opposes)?

Certainly a level of local control for local issues is important. However states have a lot of power as is. At what point does the united states become a loose federation? Right now they are mainly missing immigration, issues with respect to the US constitution and tariffs. I am sure there is more I am missing, Manic might point something out.

Those are tough to change on a state by state basis and still claim to be a country.

Certainly the power of the president should be no where near the current levels. I think if the power was in the house you would have local issues looked after more. Now the President has all the power and little reason to speak for specific areas. If the house had the power each rep would have to answer to their communities more instead of just their viewpoint on the president.

There is legislation at a federal level that deals with areas you mentioned bring them under federal control. E.g immigration and the immigration courts ect are managed by the department of justice not the courts hence you are seeing sessions in the news quite a bit as the AG can actually write and give opinions on cases.

In regards to a "loose federation" that is pretty much what a federation implies. The US is made up of 50 otherwise independent states there are certain areas the federal government is not supposed to and was never intended to have power in.

In regards to presidential power or executive power you are (in my openion) both right and wrong. Compared to other presidents or at least other executive styled presidents the US president is not necessasaely that powerful. He can't write law or decrees which in other countries are one off laws that have legal effect but can't (depending on the country) conflict with legislation or the constitution. He can issue executive orders but these are not laws in the sence of the approve rather directions for federal agencies (when it comes to the power of federal agencies your getting into a who different discussion which might potentially given the make up of the Supreme Court be changing to a more restrictive approach). He has pretty extensive powers in area of forigen affairs but only Congress can declare war.
    One thing that you have hit on is that the presidency has become more powerful then had originally been intended. Part of that is the development of ever lager government and administrative state. But also due to the fact that recent president in particular recent ones have been expanding the scope of executive powers. Which is something that both republicans and Democrats had been complaining about over the last number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

They also seem to form a bit of a personality cult. Even outside of their power. I include previous presidents in this as well.

Michael D. might pick a small thing to fight for but generally they can't really campaign against the government. This seems to be how the office is seen as opposed to direct power. They are given a lot more sway with their opinions. He would certainly not be able to start a trade war against the wishes of the government. Neither is Higgins expected to enact policy the same way US presidents are.

I believe that how loose a federation of states the US should be has been under discussion for centuries. The fact remains that there is strength together. The US has used this power a lot. Saying Ecuador should oppose encouraging breast milk feeding has much more sway from the US than just Texas (or whichever state).

Similarly if they broke ranks in say the trade war in significant numbers then the entire thing could be ignored by foreign countries. Trump does not want to much devolution. Trust me. Maybe on topics like health care that he is now scared to talk about.

Edit: I should point out I don't really care what it was meant to be. I am pointing out how I feel it should be. The founding fathers were never in a position to talk about 21st century politics. I see the power of the president (or the influence) as compared to European head of states.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

He has also cut a massive amount of regulation, which from a business perspective particularly small and medium has been far more effective and helpful then the tax reforms/cuts. Both together are really adding to the economy dispite what some said prior to their implementation. Was in the US couple of months ago and a number of small and medium business owners (most of restaurant owners) have said they have never seen it so busy. Food for thought but on the ground thinks certainly seem to be working. Which will be very hard for the Dems to counter unless there is some sort of slow down. As Bill Maher said he is hoping for a recession because without one the Dems could unfortunately be in trouble. But plenty of time to go yet!

Which regulations though did he cut that help small business specifically? The tax reforms only left people in certain states with more change in their pocket, taxes have gone up in some states like California for example (depending on personal circumstances) the rest of the cuts went to corporations which gave a one time bonus to employees and the rest went to share buy backs etc. So the gain for the worker is little or none in most cases. Spending has increased, military for example, but revenue has gone down (corporations) so you don't need to be a stable genius to know what is coming down the line. Since around 2010 all the indicators are going in the one direction, this can only last so long, with trade wars coming down the line it just means when it does take a dip, it is not going to be pleasant. Bill was half right, a better solution would be for everyone to come out of the bubble and see reality. Before Trump took over economy was the worst it has ever been, 2 years later not much has changed and it is the best economy ever, according to him. As a compulsive liar and quiet clearly unstable I would not take anything he says as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’m still surprised that the politics forum allows new members to post. I’d always thought that a couple months wait (along with a post count of 100 in other areas) would cut down on the sock puppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I’m still surprised that the politics forum allows new members to post. I’d always thought that a couple months wait (along with a post count of 100 in other areas) would cut down on the sock puppets.

If anything, it'd make more sense to have the Politcs Cafe as the casual one that newbies can post to.

That forum's dead now because it was made invite-only, but I think there are enough dedicated posters here who'd keep this one alive if it did something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

pixelburp wrote: »
    Constitution experts: can a sitting President replace a VP without approval from any other branch of government? Trump has fired all and sundry from many posts, but I'd presumed Pence is safe in what amounts to a protected role? If Trumps flailing moods swung negatively towards Pence, I wonder if he could be sacked.

Time to watch some West Wing episodes.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Did you pinch those ideas from the Trump campaign ?
    Cos thats pretty much what their strategy as and they have been very open and vocal about that.

Thats what the Trump administration did and it played a huge part in them winning the election.
    More evidence of the adults in that administration pre election making the best decisions.

Also your adding to the argument that Russian meddling , whilst helpful, was not the main reason Trump won.
    Your pointing out the importance of winning swing states and to this point Trump had a better team, better campaign, better social media campaign, visited the states he needed to win , did more press conferences, basically his campaign acted more like adults in their strategy and tactics.

Oh and before the Dems ask can they win those states (Penn, Wis, Mich), they need to make a couple of other decisions, they need to decide WILL the Democratic candidate actually make concerted visits to those states during the campaign or will the candidate fly coast to coast fundraising and treat them as flyover states.

America made the better choice when choosing a President who could win a campaign, than choose a President who couldnt run a campaign and ultimately managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. HRC spend a billion dollars , oops we forgot to visit the swing states, and lost the election cos of 70,000 in 3 states.

The Dems wont represent a real threat in 2020, they got so lost in identity politics , they have lost their own identity and the factions within the party are still vying for control . It will take 10 years for them to figure out who and what they are and for the old guard to give up control to whatever new form the take. The Republicans are locked in for 2020 and even beyond.

It's not hard to make the best decisions when you're associates have hacked your opponent.

Did you deliberately use the same words Trump used to excuse the Chrlotsville atrocity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Was in the US couple of months ago and a number of small and medium business owners (most of restaurant owners) have said they have never seen it so busy.

Those restaurant owners and their customers would be well advised to save that money that their government has borrowed to give away. Because they *will" come back looking for it: either as increased taxes to pay the debt, or by inflating it away. Might as well earn some interest on it before its taken back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Did you deliberately use the same words Trump used to excuse the Chrlotsville atrocity?

A quick Google tells me Trump's comment at the time was that there was blame on both sides.

Maybe try using Google yourself before making such a snide suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

That's a weak response.

It wasn't a response, it was a question.
    I'm not sure why people continue to defend him to the hilt when it's becoming more and more obvious that the Russians have significant influence or possibly even control over him.

lol. Do you have any evidence of this? It's borderline gossiping at this stage.
    That you have to pretend to be unaware of Helsinki to try to mount such a defence is quite an impressive set of mental acrobatics.

What? Sure I have discussed his comments in Helsinki at length.

It's preposterous to suggest that anything he said amounts to him having sided with a hostile foreign power over his own government.

You can all repeat it over and over again as much as you like, and back slap one another's posts while you're at it, but it won't make it true.

But it's Trump, one of the most inarticulate politicians in history, and so you're gonna have ample opportunities to make huge leaps from minor misspeaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Hilary is a war monger"

"Trump for the Nobel Prize"

Em......

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1021234525626609666?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

everlast75 wrote: »
    "Hilary is a war monger"

Em......

You'd imagine he has his email address

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The chap is quite clearly unstable and needs to be removed.

"Stable Genius" indeed.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That tweet is on the level of a 13 year old.
    Trump is no more than a petulant child.

A quick Google tells me Trump's comment at the time was that there was blame on both sides.

Maybe try using Google yourself before making such a snide suggestion.

I was referring to the "on both sides" part. He actually said a few different variations of the phrase. I wasn't making a snide suggestion, I was asking a direct question.

"Hilary is a war monger"

Em......

He really needs to push coverage away from his treasonous staffers. Carter Page just admitted to being a Russian advisor on tv.

I was referring to the "on both sides" part. He actually said a few different variations of the phrase. I wasn't making a snide suggestion, I was asking a direct question.

He really needs to push coverage away from his treasonous staffers. Carter Page just admitted to being a Russian advisor on tv.

1) shark week is on TV. that was the week he had his fling with Stephanie Clifford. Happy anniversary Mr. President
    2) on a more serious note, Manafort's trial starts this week
    3) if only the Iranians had of signed up to some sort of peace deal, which could avoid rather than cause nuclear war
    4) a delicious piece of irony. Trump was greated with protesters recently who chanted "lock him up"
    5) the FISA warrant was a bum flush and proved to be a red herring

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

"Hilary is a war monger"

Em......

I was browsing through that tweet (some of the replies are hilarious) and found this (excuse the crappy screenshot)

456438.png

I was browsing through that tweet (some of the replies are hilarious) and found this (excuse the crappy screenshot)

456438.png

Nobody trolls Donald J Trump, like Donald J Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

seamus wrote: »
    "I think"

"he probably"

So you freely admit that the intent & context of his remarks is unclear, and at best is imprecise and grammatically flawed.

Can't you see how that presents an issue when someone is supposed to be a leader? How can someone lead with any level of effectiveness when he cannot express himself in a coherent manner?

That doesn't mean they have to be H.G. Wells or anything, but if there's confusion over whether or not you're completely racist, or whether you've just committed treason, then that's a pretty strong indicator that your communication skills are incredibly poor.

Intentionally or not, the spirit of his Mexico statement is clear; "Mexicans" are "not us" and the ones here are "bad". That's irrefutable.

In the myriad of posts since I last posted on this thread this one is worthy of reply and I feel I shouldnt pass it up.

There's no confusion.
    I was "playing the liberal" and reading the post in a mindset where the person wants Trump to be "the bad guy" and with that mindset it's possible to take the meaning you want from it. So perhaps he should have a staff to write his twitter posts for him? No wait that's too much like scripted PC politics and Trump was voted in as a backlash to that.

FWIW I agree with Trump's stance against illegals.
    Intentionally or not, the spirit of his Mexico statement is clear; "Mexicans" are "not us" and the ones here are "bad". That's irrefutable.
    Yes I think that is irrevocably clear from the tone of the message and his campaign as a whole to be honest.
    And I think he was voted to office based on that stance as part of his ticket. If anyone was surprised by Trump being anti illegal immigration then I would question where they have been for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes I think that is irrevocably clear from the tone of the message and his campaign as a whole to be honest.
    And I think he was voted to office based on that stance as part of his ticket. If anyone was surprised by Trump being anti illegal immigration then I would question where they have been for the last 4 years.
    Except my paraphrasing, which you have now agreed with, is not an "anti-immigration" statement.

It's a racist one.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

In the myriad of posts since I last posted on this thread this one is worthy of reply and I feel I shouldnt pass it up.

Love the arrogance. You have a real Stephen Miller quality to you.

The statement was not about Trump being anti illegal immigrant, it was about Trump being anti-immigrant. The man has shown himself to be a racist multiple times both before and after he was president.

He has flip flopped again on Russia now calling it a hoax. It must be stressful being one of his spin machines.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1021158915206152193

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

"I think"

"he probably"

So you freely admit that the intent & context of his remarks is unclear, and at best is imprecise and grammatically flawed.

Can't you see how that presents an issue when someone is supposed to be a leader? How can someone lead with any level of effectiveness when he cannot express himself in a coherent manner?

That doesn't mean they have to be H.G. Wells or anything, but if there's confusion over whether or not you're completely racist, or whether you've just committed treason, then that's a pretty strong indicator that your communication skills are incredibly poor.

There's no confusion.
    I was "playing the liberal" and reading the post in a mindset where the person wants Trump to be "the bad guy" and with that mindset it's possible to take the meaning you want from it. So perhaps he should have a staff to write his twitter posts for him? No wait that's too much like scripted PC politics and Trump was voted in as a backlash to that.

Are we again going with he is saying what I want him to have said?

Seriously are they rapists? Even the majority of illegal immigrants? This is what the claim is. Is this what you agree with?

As for Helsinki being a misspeak. I have a bridge I can sell. He got back and was told in no uncertain terms he was a naughty boy by the Republicans and he went out and made a politicians excuse. I mean this is the same man who has repeatedly fought the accusation that Russia meddled, fought sanctions and declared he would have proof (found by " his people") in a matter of weeks (I am still waiting on that). Are we to be shocked he said the same thing again? Especially while next to Putin given he has a tendency to back down face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Are we again going with he is saying what I want him to have said?
    No, we are reading what was written.
    Seriously are they rapists? Even the majority of illegal immigrants? This is what the claim is. Is this what you agree with?.
    The claim that I agreed with was contained in the post I quoted, and this is what I agree with
    Seamus wrote:

As for Helsinki being a misspeak. I have a bridge I can sell. He got back and was told in no uncertain terms he was a naughty boy by the Republicans and he went out and made a politicians excuse. I mean this is the same man who has repeatedly fought the accusation that Russia meddled, fought sanctions and declared he would have proof (found by " his people") in a matter of weeks (I am still waiting on that). Are we to be shocked he said the same thing again? Especially while next to Putin given he has a tendency to back down face to face.

Is this kindergarten?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There's no confusion.

there is a massive difference between being against illegal immigration, and stating that immigrants from a country are all rapists, which is a bigoted and racist statement.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Trump is reportedly fuming that NK leader won't honour their handshake agreement.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-summit-north-korea-failure-7cfdf7eb6b83/

Can you imagine if the NK leader tweeted something like "When I said I would disarm I misspoke, I actually meant to say wouldn't. I think that probably clarifies things."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement