Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Loads of those remotes on eBay and wish etc

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TBi wrote: »
    I still don't get why people never mention retroarch. Doesn't everything retrox does but for free and you can install from the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retroarch&hl=en_IE

As others have mentioned and as I alluded to in my Retrox post.
    Because it is a pain in the arse to configure and not at all intuitive.
    The UI is poor and the library options aren't great.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    on the shield there are location settings you need to change and another setting where wifi is always searching i think, there are two or three things need changing off the top of my head

I have my location settings set to off.
    Anyway it's resolved itself now with no further action on my part other than signing out and back in again, Which I'd done repeatedly when originally troubleshooting.
    Now it's UK prime video on everything! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

banie01 wrote: »
    I have my location settings set to off.
    Anyway it's resolved itself now with no further action on my part other than signing out and back in again, Which I'd done repeatedly when originally troubleshooting.
    Now it's UK prime video on everything! :)

How did you do this exactly? I have a prime student account with USC card approach. How do I confirm if I'm getting Irish or UK content?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

RHJ wrote: »
    Just got the Shield today haven't really been able to use it to its full potential because my internet has decided to take a holiday but anyway I'm very impressed with how quick it is and how easy it is to navigate the various menus

The only thing I'm a little bit disappointed with is new remote control doesn't have a headphone jack and isn't rechargeable.

But anyway that's only a small thing.

You're may not have got the big update to Android Oreo which changes the interface completely.

The gaming remote is rechargable. The smaller remote has a battery that should last over a year

The batteries in the remote last about 6 months and I use mine everyday between iptv and emby.
    just don’t use the crap ones from dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Get good quality batteries for it,I used cheap crap first time and they didn't last long .Moved to Duracell and working fine after 6 months +.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Spot on and getflix will give you American Netflix if you have a sub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

mickzer wrote: »
    Is there a working link to this remote on Amazon.uk. The link on this on Youtube leads to something completely different.
    Tia
    jontr wrote: »
    Would also love to get one, BangGood is all sold out :(

I found it here and ordered it.

I've had my shield for over a year but I didnt get the remote with mine, only the controller. So this looks ideal for me.

https://www.zapals.com/q5-bluetooth-voice-controlled-air-mouse-remote-controller.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭54and56

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I found it here and ordered it.

I've had my shield for over a year but I didnt get the remote with mine, only the controller. So this looks ideal for me.

https://www.zapals.com/q5-bluetooth-voice-controlled-air-mouse-remote-controller.html

I see you went for the Bluetooth version, any particular reason? Would the constant Bluetooth connection not run the remote controls battery down in no time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

So I got my shield from Amazon Prime day... what a let down. It is ridiculously slow navigating menus, to the point, it doesn't do anything for 3-4 seconds, then it moves one icon and then does nothing for another 3-4 seconds. This painful experience is consistent, never once has been it smooth since i've plugged it in and turned it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Must be something wrong because I find the interface very snappy.

n1ck wrote: »
    So I got my shield from Amazon Prime day... what a let down. It is ridiculously slow navigating menus, to the point, it doesn't do anything for 3-4 seconds, then it moves one icon and then does nothing for another 3-4 seconds. This painful experience is consistent, never once has been it smooth since i've plugged it in and turned it on..

Send that bad boy back it’s goosed
    Mine is super quick

Agreed,can't fault it for speed,must be an issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Will issue a return notice! Cheers guys, not sure what the problem is.

Did you try a factory reset

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Fathers started doing that, it's the remote battery. It'll start giving the on screen warning in a few days. Didn't know what it was myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭54and56

n1ck wrote: »

Do you have both remotes? Does the problem exist when using both or just one remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I bought a second one for my bedroom tv. I have a 6tb harddrive attached to one via usb. Will be able to remote connect to it on the other shield.

Hope I didn't waste money buying a second haha.

cronos wrote: »
    How did you do this exactly? I have a prime student account with USC card approach. How do I confirm if I'm getting Irish or UK content?

Easiest way to confirm UK or Ireland prime video is to try play Batman V Superman.
    If it plays, it's UK prime.
    There is a wealth of information on the thread as to how to get UK prime, read back and you will see the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I see you went for the Bluetooth version, any particular reason? Would the constant Bluetooth connection not run the remote controls battery down in no time?

The review linked above said that the performance of the Bluetooth version was superior, if the box supported it of course.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    The review linked above said that the performance of the Bluetooth version was superior, if the box supported it of course.

They are cheap either way and a great back up to have
    Remote is very easy to lose, mines always slipping down the side of the sofa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Do people not just use their TV remote with this through hdmi-cec? Mine works better than the shield remote, which can be laggy. The game pad is still the best for navigating though

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Do people not just use their TV remote with this through hdmi-cec? Mine works better than the shield remote, which can be laggy. The game pad is still the best for navigating though

Quite like the shield remote, works very well for the two apps I use

This HDMI CEC post has reminded me of a nagging bug I have with my shield.

I have my shield wired directly to my router, and I also have my Xbox one wired to to the same router (in an adjacent room). When I turn on my Xbox, my shield (and therefore my TV) in the other room will turn on. The same thing happens when I turn my Xbox off, it will turn off my Shield (and TV) in the other room. If someone is watching TV in the other room, I either leave my Xbox on, or yell out "TV turning off!" to warn them.

Anyone have a similar issue, or a solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Basil3 wrote: »
    This HDMI CEC post has reminded me of a nagging bug I have with my shield.

I have my shield wired directly to my router, and I also have my Xbox one wired to to the same router (in an adjacent room). When I turn on my Xbox, my shield (and therefore my TV) in the other room will turn on. The same thing happens when I turn my Xbox off, it will turn off my Shield (and TV) in the other room. If someone is watching TV in the other room, I either leave my Xbox on, or yell out "TV turning off!" to warn them.

Anyone have a similar issue, or a solution?

That's a weird one. The XBox doesn't support control over CEC, so it's not that. I'd say for some reason it's sending a WOL packet to the Shield. No idea why though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement