Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options
1505152535456»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finally got around to picking on of these up, got a good warehouse deal with only the packaging damaged, I will be using it mostly for IPTV and playing stuff off of HDDs, is there any must have apps and is it straight forward to side load apps if necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 circledot

Xenji wrote: »
    Finally got around to picking on of these up, got a good warehouse deal with only the packaging damaged, I will be using it mostly for IPTV and playing stuff off of HDDs, is there any must have apps and is it straight forward to side load apps if necessary?

I have a few, a cheap vpn, I managed to get a really good windscribe deal on stacksocial for 12 dollars for the year. (its only being used for netflix so I am ok with that) $12
    Cheap netflix from the cheap netflix thread.
    Plex access to my own 32tb server
    Bbc & Itv apps
    iptv supplier (not naming it)
    Linked my steam games to it as well, so have all the lego games from when they were cheap to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Xenji wrote: »

If you're into retro games emulation Retrox is well worth the money. I have a 30k retro games collection with cover artwork and game screenshots on a network shared drive I have mounted on the Shield
    http://www.retrox.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

mad m wrote: »
    Is there a recommended VPN for shield?

I have Nord since 2017. It can be installed from the playstore on the shield. It pretty user friendly and can be set to auto connect which is a great feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Mr.S wrote: »
    What’s the benefit of using a VPN over say, a smart DNS service (which are cheaper)

https://www.smartydns.com/smart-dns/smart-dns-vs-vpn/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I read that article recently and it’s quite a good read

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I have Nord since 2017. It can be installed from the playstore on the shield. It pretty user friendly and can be set to auto connect which is a great feature.

I use it too but find the Android TV app a bit crap. No easy choice of servers so if the default one doesn't work it's a pain to find one that does. Their standard Android app is much better. Might have to try sideloading it.

Happy with my Smart DNS so :D

Who are you with ?

Getflix, works flawsley with all my apps.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Have NordVPN myself on the Shield now over a week. Running great with a dedicated IP for UK and Germany. Also has automatic restart should anything go wrong in the background.

• Advertisement

Have NordVPN myself on the Shield now over a week. Running great with a dedicated IP for UK and Germany. Also has automatic restart should anything go wrong in the background.

Doesn’t the vpn slow down the speed ?
    Smart dns has very little impact on the speed and getflix world great for American netflix

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Smart dns has very little impact on the speed and getflix world great for American netflix

I havent noticed any loss of speed however I am on a 450mbit connection. Always allow the app to take the fastest available connection....up to now not a problem at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

For some odd reason a VPN can sometimes improve speeds.

Anyone using smartdnsproxy? I had no access to now TV for ages, just wondering if it's back?

From what I’ve read a vpn can improve speeds when a the broadband provider is throttling speed

From what I’ve read a vpn can improve speeds when a the broadband provider is throttling speed

Think it all depends on how your ISP is routing the connection. VPN is generally more direct and can cut out the IPv4 to IPv6 problems if you get your internet from Virgin for example. Tends to clean up the mess UPC/Virgin made of DS-Lite...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

As this thread is no longer about the original bargain, I think its time to close it up.

Other forums are much better suited to discuss ongoing usage, and other connection options.
    Big thread on the Android devices forum is one example.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement