Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

biebiebie wrote: »
    Will debloat and configure it later once I'm on WiFi.

Good idea

Mine was keen to download a MIUI update (turned out to be ~ half gig) so I let it. Took a little while over a rural mobile connection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

robie5 wrote: »
    Thanks. Debloating is just getting rid of apps you dont need right? Not necessary

Not much on them to start with tbh. I did a set up of one last night.

Does anyone know if you can switch off the left side info page on the home screen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭corkie

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Not much on them to start with tbh. I did a set up of one last night.

Does anyone know if you can switch off the left side info page on the home screen

Switch to custom launcher, that will give you a google feed instead.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Wow great phone. Haven't put it down yet. One tiny thing. Anyway to get the battery percentage up on the notification area. It's ok found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Just got it there now. The larger screen takes a little getting used to. I dread having to do a changeover of contacts....biggest pain in the hole. Screen size for mobdro is great tbh and its crystal clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Just got it there now. The larger screen takes a little getting used to. I dread having to do a changeover of contacts....biggest pain in the hole. Screen size for mobdro is great tbh and its crystal clear

Done it earlier no problems. Took about ten minutes. You do have to log back in to some apps

robie5 wrote: »
    Wow great phone. Haven't put it down yet. One tiny thing. Anyway to get the battery percentage up on the notification area. It's ok found it.

In the settings . Go to the notifications & status bar it's in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Thinking of picking up the global version of this, previously had the note 4(might have been note 3 ) which was the best phone i ever had but the mobile data was terrible on it outside major towns.
    Has anyone had any issues with data or is it all running fine? Been with eir/meteor seems it has the bands for it but still a little cautious

mightyreds wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up the global version of this, previously had the note 4(might have been note 3 ) which was the best phone i ever had but the mobile data was terrible on it outside major towns.
    Has anyone had any issues with data or is it all running fine? Been with eir/meteor seems it has the bands for it but still a little cautious

You probably had a RN3[Kenzo] which didn't have band 20 (or non global RN4[Mido]).

Global version of RN5[WHYRED] has Band 20.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I have a happy customer gone away tonight with his brand new RN5. If mobile data is an issue , I expect to hear about it quickly - He lives in a rural area :)

• Advertisement

"Select to speak" will not work on my RN5.
    The floating icon will just not appear on the home screen.
    Has anyone got any ideas?
    I have a happy customer gone away tonight with his brand new RN5. If mobile data is an issue , I expect to hear about it quickly - He lives in a rural area :)

Did you get "Select to speak" working?

corkie wrote: »
    Did you get "Select to speak" working?

@corkie - Yes I got help from a friend that works in Tech support

Not sure of the details , but the navigation buttons at the bottom of screen are bypassed , and I think it may be set up using gestures and shortcuts .

Its all swiping now to navigate through the screens .

Anyway the floating button in on the home screens and work perfect .

@allthedoyles Sounds like he disable navigation (hopefully removed as well, more display available) and turned on Gesture based navigation.

I wonder if the select to speak, showed an icon in the Navbar instead of a floating window with it active?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I think it was the note 3 still have it here somewhere, become unusable as in the country couldn't even get over E on mobile data , everything else was grand with it , might take a chance on the this one

I think it was the note 3 still have it here somewhere, become unusable as in the country couldn't even get over E on mobile data , everything else was grand with it , might take a chance on the this one

I bought the global version that has B3 and B20 so hopefully all will be okay .
    You can check the phones compatibility here :

https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/ireland

@corkie - Yes I got help from a friend that works in Tech support

Not sure of the details , but the navigation buttons at the bottom of screen are bypassed , and I think it may be set up using gestures and shortcuts .

Its all swiping now to navigate through the screens .

Anyway the floating button in on the home screens and work perfect .

In the settings go full screen to get the on screen buttons back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Have mine working great now. Very pleased with this phone

Debloated last night.
    Set to use full screen with gestures (amazingly intuitive).
    Hated MiUi launcher so installed Nova Prime and that still works great with the MiUi gestures.

One thing I'm not mad on is the rear fingerprint reader, I prefer it in the front.
    So I've done the following.
    I set double tap to wake in MiUi settings. Then enter pin to unlock.
    And also double tap to sleep in Nova.
    Thats my workaround for not having a front fingerprint reader.
    And its works almost as good.

Have mine working great now. Very pleased with this phone

Debloated last night.
    Set to use full screen with gestures (amazingly intuitive).
    Hated MiUi launcher so installed Nova Prime and that still works great with the MiUi gestures.

One thing I'm not mad on is the rear fingerprint reader, I prefer it in the front.
    So I've done the following.
    I set double tap to wake in MiUi settings. Then enter pin to unlock.
    And also double tap to sleep in Nova.
    Thats my workaround for not having a front fingerprint reader.
    And its works almost as good.

I have the same set up on unlock. but you get use to it just becomes normal then.
    Must try a launcher soon

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,
    Great info on this thread, ordered mine last Monday off Honorbuy and delivered on Wed morning!!

I was a very happy Samsung Note 4 user until it gave up the ghost. This phone is very impressive so far, feels like a premium phone but way less cost.
    Acknowledging the screen is using the cheaper technology but it really is very fast phone . No issue with mobile data and I live in the sticks.

First fingerprint reader that actually works all the time.

Regs

slayer91 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Great info on this thread, ordered mine last Monday off Honorbuy and delivered on Wed morning!!

I was a very happy Samsung Note 4 user until it gave up the ghost. This phone is very impressive so far, feels like a premium phone but way less cost.
    Acknowledging the screen is using the cheaper technology but it really is very fast phone . No issue with mobile data and I live in the sticks.

First fingerprint reader that actually works all the time.

Regs

With the amount of people buying from HonorBuy from this thread! It is a pity I'm not earning commission. :)

• Advertisement

With the amount of people buying from HonorBuy from this thread! It is a pity I'm not earning commission. :)

I'm not joking. I have it 2 days... 3 people in work want to pick one up.... Is there a referral scheme.... I don't understand why they don't have a European sales outfit for corporates.... My place would save millions by having these phones... And they are better than what work give us!

I'm not joking. I have it 2 days... 3 people in work want to pick one up.... Is there a referral scheme.... I don't understand why they don't have a European sales outfit for corporates.... My place would save millions by having these phones... And they are better than what work give us!

Referral Links are not allowed on boards, or even reddit and most public forums.

Referral Links are not allowed on boards, or even reddit and most public forums.

No I know.... Wasn't asking for one! They should have one though. Considering word of mouth is their only form of marketing it seems like a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

Hi all, Can anyone give me a noob step by step guide to unlocking the bootloader and what I should see at each step....has any one done it lately...thank you!

BzrBren wrote: »
    Hi all, Can anyone give me a noob step by step guide to unlocking the bootloader and what I should see at each step....has any one done it lately...thank you!

Try here: - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/bootloader
    You will only be able to unlock if it's been more than 72 hours that you successfully added your account and device.

The waiting time on the Redmi 5 series and newer models is 360 hours. Currently there's no known way to bypass the waiting time.

So if you only recently got your device and setup your MIUI account, you will need to wait the 360 Hours or 15 Days. But try the process anyway, to see what timer you get.

You no longer need to request permission for the process, so ignore that part in the below video. And no need for VPN!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Cant see why a exception couldnt be made for you :)

Well I had a bit of a mishap after only having my phone for one day.
    It flew out of my hand about 5 foot into the air and landed in its back on concrete.

Luckily I had a case on it.
    No damage to the phone.
    And only a slight gash in the case.
    It was one of those nooooooooo moments!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Well I had a bit of a mishap after only having my phone for one day.
    It flew out of my hand about 5 foot into the air and landed in its back on concrete.

Luckily I had a case on it.
    No damage to the phone.
    And only a slight gash in the case.
    It was one of those nooooooooo moments!
    Phew, well that's a vote for the case then, what one was it?

It was this one £5.50 on Amazon.co.uk
    I had it delivered to parcel motel as a part of a larger order.
    Think they only deliver this specific item to a UK address? Anyhow take a look.

Simpeak Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Case, Premium Rugged Protector Back Case for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro [Drop Protection] [Anti Slip] [Scratch Resistant], Black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Already have some custom ROMS bookmarked to run on it :D That 360 hour bootloader unlock time is a killer though.

Advertisement