Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

biebiebie wrote: »
    It was this one £5.50 on Amazon.co.uk
    I had it delivered to parcel motel as a part of a larger order.
    Think they only deliver this specific item to a UK address? Anyhow take a look.

Simpeak Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Case, Premium Rugged Protector Back Case for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro [Drop Protection] [Anti Slip] [Scratch Resistant], Black

I had that case on a different model phone, its really nice. Unobtrusive, doesn't slip and slip, feels good in that hand. The price as well is great for what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Probably been asked before but will this version of the phone be ok on Eir here?!

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-64gb-dual-sim-black.html

Pacifico wrote: »
    Probably been asked before but will this version of the phone be ok on Eir here?!

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-64gb-dual-sim-black.html

If you mean for 4G signal then yeah, its marked as having 800 and 1800 frequencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

fixxxer wrote: »
    If you mean for 4G signal then yeah, its marked as having 800 and 1800 frequencies.

Thanks. And for areas where 4g isn't available will it work on 2 and 3G?

Pacifico wrote: »
    Thanks. And for areas where 4g isn't available will it work on 2 and 3G?

Sure will. Signal strength will depend on your network though, not the phone itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

BzrBren wrote: »
    Hi all, Can anyone give me a noob step by step guide to unlocking the bootloader and what I should see at each step....has any one done it lately...thank you!
    corkie wrote: »
    Try here: - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/bootloader

So if you only recently got your device and setup your MIUI account, you will need to wait the 360 Hours or 15 Days. But try the process anyway, to see what timer you get.

You no longer need to request permission for the process, so ignore that part in the below video. And no need for VPN!

I did this recently for a friend's mi a1. There was no waiting period for that one either. If you've unlocked a bootloader before, you won't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

I've been following this thread for a while and just ordered it there from Honorbuy following Corkie's link. Thanks. It came to €195.49, plus €4.24 for a flip case and €1.69 for the screen protector. Shipping was €23 so €224.42 all in.
    I'll let you know when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭corkie

RTT wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for a while and just ordered it there from Honorbuy following Corkie's link. Thanks. It came to €195.49, plus €4.24 for a flip case and €1.69 for the screen protector. Shipping was €23 so €224.42 all in.
    I'll let you know when it arrives.

Reports that they Flip case is not of good quality.
    ryaner777 wrote: »

The case is cheaply made, it's not "leather" as advertised and it doesn't close fully. Also the window is a really cheap plastic that makes the screen look awful.

Also "KIMOVIL" code for €5 off is still Valid if your order is over €200, I think, in case anyone else is ordering.

Did you forget that, the code has been mentioned a few times in the thread.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I recommended this phone to a really fussy friend of mine - rather reluctantly :) She complained about the headphone jack being on the bottom but now she really loves the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

corkie wrote:
    Reports that they Flip case is not of good quality.

corkie wrote:
    Also "KIMOVIL" code for €5 off is still Valid if your order is over €200, I think, in case anyone else is ordering.

corkie wrote:
    Did you forget that, the code has been mentioned a few times in the thread.

I have read mixed reviews on the flip case but for €4 I'm not expecting much. It will do until I get a better one. The code didn't work. I tried it.

• Advertisement

RTT wrote: »
    I have read mixed reviews on the flip case but for €4 I'm not expecting much. It will do until I get a better one. The code didn't work. I tried it.

I just tested it. Would not work with just the phone in the cart, but if you added the glass and case. It allowed it.
    Also "KIMOVIL" code for €5 off is still Valid if your order is over €200 not including shipping!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

So I've had the Note 5 for three weeks and it's been great. I dropped it last night trying to put it back into my pocket and cracked the screen - very annoying as I'm waiting on a screen protector that might've saved it.

My negligence aside - I'm fairly sure there's a mention in this thread of a shop that can do Note 5 screen repairs but I can't find it - anyone got a link/number?

So I've had the Note 5 for three weeks and it's been great. I dropped it last night trying to put it back into my pocket and cracked the screen - very annoying as I'm waiting on a screen protector that might've saved it.

My negligence aside - I'm fairly sure there's a mention in this thread of a shop that can do Note 5 screen repairs but I can't find it - anyone got a link/number?

Where are you located?

Celtic based in Dublin.
    ^^^ Although a user on RN4 thread said they could not do it for that device.

https://www.ielectron.ie/ <<<< Cork based, but nationwide service.

You may need to source parts your self and ask the shops, if they will repair in that scenario.

Parts: -

€ 43.71 : - http://www.ipartsbuy.com/view/3193134/LCD%20Screen%20and%20Digitizer%20Full%20Assembly%20for%20Xiaomi%20Redmi%20Note%205%20%20%20Note%205%20Pro%20Black%20.htm

or

$28.00 : - http://www.dragon-tt.com/xx.aspx?id=257

Edit: - Don't forget an adhesive layer to glue the new screen on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

phone fixer in Bray quoted me 70e for RN4 screen . They probably do this one too.

In my experience, glass screen protectors protect from scratched but if a fall is going to crack the screen, the screen protector wont save it. Better off getting a flip cover case or a case with a raised edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Thanks to both of you for the helpful replies.

I'm in Dublin so I'll give Celtic a go and if they're can't do the job I'll look into Phone Fixer.

Did Phone Fixer ask you to source the parts AllTheDoyles?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I just got quote and 24 hours turnaround.
    We didn't discuss parts .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

Finally got the mi unlock tool to see my phone in fastboot mode...moved the tool to the root directory of my laptop and also installed universal Android driver's,not sure which worked but now all I have to do is wait another 80 hours....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Pecarlo1

Lads i must say im very pleased with this phone, love the AI camera. Its fast, battery life is perfect, it feels like a premium phone. Not a fan of the system, but ill get around it eventually. Ordered through honorbuy had it delivered in 2days, 217e total, would recommend to everyone looking to buy one. Think ill be trying out other xiaomi items in the future, quality stuff, not breaking the bank. Cheers :)

MIUIPro thread on XDA is closed. Have they ceased development? I might try one of the MIUI 10 ROMs, has anyone given them a go?

• Advertisement

As far as i know you can get beta rooted atm. official release date is end of july so might aswell wait for that.

fixxxer wrote: »
    MIUIPro thread on XDA is closed. Have they ceased development? I might try one of the MIUI 10 ROMs, has anyone given them a go?

Closed at the request of the OP, because user's where sharing downloads.

They started a process of requesting a payment for downloads.

Probably best to stay clear of that custom rom.

[Reddit] MIUI Pro ROM OTA updates are now a paid feature - translation in comments

Damn, that's a shame. If MIUI 10 is close I might just stick with the global ROM for now so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm finding the screen protectors very poor.
    Both of ours cracked for no apparent reason.(the protector not the phone)

Is there a decent flipcase with magnet strap?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I'm finding the screen protectors very poor.

agreed, the ones that came from honorbuy are awful, chipped all around the edges after less that 2 weeks of use, not to mention holes not drilled thru and square instead of rounded corners. I've ordered some alternatives from AliExpress - will report back if any turn out to be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I'm thinking of getting this for my girlfriend. I have the note 4 and it's a great phone but when I googled this phone a lot of links came up about the sound quality being really low when using headphones in the audio jack.

Has that issue been resolved?

rejkin wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this for my girlfriend. I have the note 4 and it's a great phone but when I googled this phone a lot of links came up about the sound quality being really low when using headphones in the audio jack.

Has that issue been resolved?
    Nope, was reading about it yesterday and the only way to get it louder is by changing the region which is weird to think about, but i changed to belarus and it got louder. It might get fixed with miui 10 hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭biebiebie

For those still on stock ROM
    What version MiUi do you have?
    I'm on 9.5.13.0
    I don't believe my battery life is as good as it should be.
    After a bit of googling it looks like 9.5.17 fixes the issue.
    Hey anyone received this update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

biebiebie wrote: »
    For those still on stock ROM
    What version MiUi do you have?
    I'm on 9.5.13.0
    I don't believe my battery life is as good as it should be.
    After a bit of googling it looks like 9.5.17 fixes the issue.
    Hey anyone received this update yet?

I'm on the same version as you and my battery is unbelievable,easily getting 3 days from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Are you using 2 SIMs Chris?

Advertisement